Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: So I rotated into the P.M Grill Position

1. Member
      Vehicles
      A Wagon, A Jetta, Another Jetta and a 650cc Scooter
      05-10-2006 12:11 AM #1
      Working in an establishment under a CMC with a highly complex brigade. But, fortunately there has been a rotation in which i was elected to become the new P.M Grill man. Yeah, it may not sound like much to some folks. But, to those who know the industry can appreciate this topic.

Tonight was my first night and boy was it wild. Our whole line is fresh due to the rotation. New pm grill, saute, middle, garde manger and new expo (new exec sous as well).

We came in and had 90 on the books and the # was climbing. Tuesday is usually the 1st day of the week for most restaurants. So what does that mean? A full menu to prep! To add on to this building of a fiasco is the fact that we do a wine dinner every tuesday night consisting of 4 courses.

I havent been on line in 7 months, much less a grill due to being a BNQ man.. So I was worried on my temps. But, nothing was a refire. nothing..... we even do a 32 ounce beef bone chop called a tomahawk chop which sells for 63.00 a plate. Sold 4 and had no refires on them bad boys.

few things on the grill are

- 4 & 6 oz fillets
      - 2 and 3 bone racks of lamb
      - Lobster tail
      - Sea Bass
      - Arctic Char
      - Mahi Mahi
      - Salmon
      - Grilled Tomatoes
      - Tomahawk chop
      - Grilled Veggies
      - U15 Shrimp
      - Airline Chix Breast
      - Lamb t bones
      - Veal Strip
      - Ny Strip

Its quite a busy station. I have a charcoal grill which stays wide open all night . Drank 1 1/2 gallons of water between 6:30- 10:30. Next to it is a 4 burner salamander with flattop and a 6 burner stove on the other side. It was so hot. But it was a good feeling. Everything went over very smoothly tonight without a hitch. Nothing but good comments.

Dont really have a reason for posting this. But, hopefully a few culinarians will chime in with some good praises. Thanks for reading.

Modified by LovetheA2s at 4:37 AM 8-3-2006

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 LB6Z GTI Chicago River Flood Salvage Edition
      05-10-2006 09:04 AM #2
      Quote, originally posted by LovetheA2s »

Dont really have a reason for posting this. But, hopefully a few culinarians will chime in with some good praises. Thanks for reading.

Your threads in here are always interesting.

3. 05-10-2006 10:35 AM #3
      sounds like fun! my bf worked at an upscale restaurant up here for about 12 years, most of it as a sous. sounds like a similar menu to what they have. it's hard work for sure, he burned out after 10 years there left and then went back a bit later for like a year and a half for some extra money.

i totally admire anyone who can do that long term after hearing his stories and seeing all the scars on his arms.

making me hungry for some fish now.

4. 05-10-2006 08:16 PM #4
      CMC? Wow, be sponge around that guy.

Your line elects the grill guy?

As far as the whole night......Well yep, thats the station ....... Now do it again and again .....and again...and again....

I'm just pulling your leg, I enjoyed your writeup.

People who don't work in a kitchen don't know how easy they have it.

What is a BMQ man?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      05-10-2006 11:28 PM #5
      Hahahaha, it was a wild night. Im sorry about the BMQ thing. Its supposed to be BNQ i.e Banquets. As far as tonight goes. We only did around 50 but it was a whole other ball game. Yeah, our CMC gave our new Exec sous the reign to elect his whole line. He chose to be a working chef as where our other exec sous just expoed and gave people crap. Our new exec sous is running the pm middle and expoing as well. Which is great. The CMC was there tonight just breathing down our necks and being pretty hardcore to work us up. He got me good. Im used to working a grill station in which you mark it on the grill and finish in the oven. Simple enough. Well, this station has a salamander like Ruth's Chris Steakhouse chain. This sucker gets hot as hell. Its a floor unit and is badddddd. My prob is getting used to the speed at which this thing cooks at. The steak can brown rapidly on the outside yet still be rare in the center. Well, on a med rare 4oz filet the edges got a touch brown past his liking. The steak was a perfect medium rare. The plate came to the expo position. He grabbed the steak. Ripped it in half and said "this steak is overcooked, you are overcooking these steaks" . I was like (insert VW commercial guy here) "Oh snap" in my head. I was like "yes chef". Thats all i could say. Threw another on the grill and went on with it. It was a very humbling experience i must tell you. He came up to me in 5 minutes holding the steak and said " this is a 7.50 steak" (our cost) *prime beef*. The center was still med rare, but I was yet to argue with a CMC. HAHA . I will get the hang of this. But, this is what it takes to be a grill cook at the Best Platnium Private Country Club in North America. (yes im gloating). But all in all. Tomorrow is another day and there is plenty more filets to cook.

Oh yeah, tonight was grilled monkfish, scallops, lemon sole, for those who know the delicacy of these proteins. especially to be grilled

I appreciate you'll listening to my rants in this forum. Who else could I 8itch to. Thanks for the support and I appreciate any suggestions and pointers to the quick cook salamander unit

Modified by LovetheA2s at 4:30 AM 5-11-2006

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Silverado 1500, 2005 Legacy GT Wagon, 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco 6MT
      05-11-2006 10:48 AM #6
      Awesome thread! Though I understand about 2/3rds of what you are writing, it is cool to hear what goes on in the kitchen. Sound extremely demanding, and it helps me appreciate what goes into a good meal at a quality restaurant.

05-11-2006 11:05 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by GLX-GTZ »
      Awesome thread! Though I understand about 2/3rds of what you are writing, it is cool to hear what goes on in the kitchen. Sound extremely demanding, and it helps me appreciate what goes into a good meal at a quality restaurant.

Agreed. What is meant by "airline" chicken breast though?

8. 05-11-2006 11:26 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by SpeedRicer »

Agreed. What is meant by "airline" chicken breast though?

One side of a beast, skin on, and the first joint of the wing intact.

Scallops and monk on the grill, I can see that. But sole? Thats torture.

9. 05-11-2006 01:29 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by LovetheA2s »

Oh yeah, tonight was grilled lemon sole,

Seriously - how is this even possible? I imagine it would just flake apart into oblivion.

Congrats btw

10. 05-11-2006 05:17 PM #10
      ha, I worked fish and chicken station at Micheal Jordan's and rarely had fish come back.

11. 05-11-2006 09:51 PM #11
      Is that the one next to Tropica?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      05-12-2006 01:52 AM #12
      I was called in early to help out garde manger 3 hours before my shift began today. Tonight was wild. Again. We had 55 On the books and ended up doing over 100. Which was cool. One of our servers dropped a tomahawk steak. Now, keep in mind that this is a 32 ounce steak and we run 10 minute ticket times. The CMC was Expoing. ........... To make a long story short. The guy was like " I dropped the steak" with a smirk on his face The chef slammed his fist down on the prep table and was like " thats a 32.00 (our cost) steak that you dropped. Now I will have to sell 3 more to make up for what you have done. So I had to re-fire another. He told the waiter, "if you drop this one, dont come back EVER. I will fire you myself". I was like WHOA!. No refires tonight. I have found out to cook it a temp below to be on the safe side. You can always re cook a steak but you can never cook a steak less once its been sent out. This is a very intimidating position and i am trying to deal with the stress as best as possible. But, with a CMC watching your every move its hard. Our line was very stable tonight but, there is still room for improvement. Hey, its only our second day and we are getting there. I hope you folks stay interested in this thread cause I will be more than happy to keep is going if ya want.

We have 85 on the books tomorrow (reservations) and counting, PLUS we are prepping for mother's day which include reservations of 1080. Yes 1080,. Stay tuned till tomorrow night...............

13. 05-12-2006 11:10 PM #13
      Cool thread man

I run the grill part time at Hooters and I havent had a "refire" in 6 months

keep us posted

14. 05-12-2006 11:50 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by Danbodia »
      Is that the one next to Tropica?

I worked at the one in Grand Central station in manhattan. 1080 for Mothers day, holy crap!!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      05-13-2006 12:37 AM #15
      Nightly Update,

Ended up doing 109 tonight. The CMC was expoing again. He was pretty chill tonight. Things were smooth and spaced out. Our only pop was at about 8:15-8:45. I have his temp system down now. I asked him to feel all my steaks tonight for me to get a feel for his liking. We serve all of our fish medium unless otherwise requested as well. Tonight was grilled carolina red trout, marniated red snapper, salmon and halibit. The trout was a PITA because it is such a delicate fish. plus i had to remove the skin a la minute (pronounced mi-noot). I felt pretty confident in myself tonight and that made all the difference in the world. I was cooking one of those tomahawk chops and put it in the oven to finish because it was going medium. Well, I forgot about it . When i remembered (8-10 mins later), I freaked and grabbed it out of the oven and threw it on my resting rack. I quickly asked the chef "how long on table 142"....... it was a 12 top and they were taking it slow. On this particular chop. The server takes it out on a special plate, presents it, brings it back, we re heat it, slice it, fan it out, and then serve it. So with all of that yet to happen. I am thinking of carry over cooking. I was so worried when I had to cut it off of the bone. But, with a prayer it came out to be a perfect medium. Thats how BIG these steaks are. They are kind of industrial to cook. haha. Tomorrow we are looking at 99 on the books and counting. I have to be in at 11. I had to be in at 11 today to help out banquets. Had to cut and blanch 14 cases of pencil asparagus!!!!. Cook 8 pounds of orzo, and 12 pounds of somen noodles. we are @ 1100 for Mothers day now. (bear in mind that 1100 is definitely a buffet in the ballroom) just to clear up any confusion. I pulled my 12 hours today, Im tired and going to bed. Till tonorrow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

16. Member
      Vehicles
      05-14-2006 11:45 PM #16
      Ok, Sorry guys, I couldnt make it to the computer lastnight. It was just that long of a night. and I was running on little sleep. So we ended up doing over 140 covers and no refires. I had a grilled salmon come back wanting it cooked more. We cook all of our fish to medium and these folks were old so they wanted it DONE. The CMC was expoing again and it was running smooth. Then we had a 12 top, followed by an 8 , a 6, and 2 fous, all at once. At one time i got smacked up pretty bad.

I had on the grill at one time

3- 6 ounce med rares
      2- 4 ounce med rare
      3 - 4 ounce medium
      1 - 4 ounce well done
      6- orders of double chops (lamb chops)
      3- grilled mahi mahi
      1- Grilled Red Snapper
      1- Grilled Salmon
      1- Tomahawk chop Medium
      1- New york strip Med rare

I was weeded but kept my cool. It was a painful whooping but I survived. Our line will be stronger in the next 2 weeks i am sure.

I was told by our chef that i need to be in at 8am for Mothers day brunch. Didnt get out of work lastnight till almost 12. Had to be back at 8 this morning. Got off tonight at 7:00.

Mothers day was amazing. I have pics and will be glad to share if there is any interest. I had to be in at 8 to help Garde manger out with all of their Mise en place. Set up our ballroom with the chef and get the ice sculpture out. We had a live pianist, cello dude, and a flute/trumpet dude. 2 carving stations, 2 omelet stations. Dessert station. yada yada yada. We did around 1100. Ill get pics up tomorrow. Monday (my weekend) .

05-15-2006 04:32 PM #17
      I don't understand the words you are using, but am fascinated nonetheless.

CMC?
      Expoing?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      05-15-2006 07:56 PM #18
      CMC is a reference to Certified Master Chef. These guys are the culinary gods so to speak. Cream of the crop. Its a lot of standards to explain .

A few of them include a (I think) 10 day rigorious test measuring their culinary ability.

- Costing
      - Menu Development
      - Execution
      - Mystery Basket (box of ingredients to make a meal with that you know nothing of)
      - Baking and Pastry abilities
      - Garde manger Abilities
      - Hot food Abilities
      - Strict diet guidelines
      - Costs around 10 grand to take the test
      - Must pass 3 different certifications before eligible to take this test
      - Must have recommendations from 3 CMC's

an Expo is an Expeditor- One who calls the tickets to the people who are on the line (your cooks)

when the ticket printer goes off. He reads it to the cooks, the cooks give a call back to confirm that they heard the order, and they fire the order.
      example--- "coming in, I have 2 orders of dover sole, one osso bucco, 2 four ounce filets going med rare, one 6 ounce filet going medium , and a rack of lamb going rare"

19. 05-15-2006 08:58 PM #19
      just out of curiosity, what are your ticket time goals and do you usually meet these standards. Also, on a typical night, how many people are on line, and what are there positions? Great thread btw

20. Member
      Vehicles
      05-15-2006 11:01 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by KillSwitch85 »
      just out of curiosity, what are your ticket time goals and do you usually meet these standards. Also, on a typical night, how many people are on line, and what are there positions? Great thread btw

Oh man, Where to begin..........

Our line ticket times are 10-12 mins in the Upstairs Grill. Downstairs is completely formal and drawn out (up to 6 courses I believe), we offer an inclusive dinner everynight, a 4 course wine dinner every tuesday. It is no longer than a 10-15 minute ticket time from the time the expo fires the ticket. And boy that is hard to hit with the tomahawk chop (2 lbs). But, we make it happen. Standards are very high in this kitchen and it is the most professional kitchen I have ever worked in. We dont call the chef by his name, He is known as chef. His image seems militant (even though he is not) but setting our standards high and maintaining our standards is why we have the rankings we have. In our kitchen on any given night can have between 10-20 Chefs/Cooks. Thats all departments. Line/banquets/Garde Manger. Not even including purchasing and bakeshop.

On the line itself, We have a grill cook (me), a P.M middle who handles veg, fryer, and plate up. Which our executive sous chef is running, a Saute Cook, garde manger person, a dessert person, an expo person, and the executive chef (overlooking).

It is a tight operation and fosters an amazing experience. We have our own laundry service who supplies us with jackets, pants, bistro aprons. They wash, press, and hang them. We are required to be clean shaven everyday and also are required to wear a neckerchief (rolled up linen cloth around your neck that serves as a sweat absorber and is tied like a tie but goes under your chef jacket)
      Any other questions I will be more than happy to entertain. Please feel free to ask.

Modified by LovetheA2s at 7:50 AM 8-24-2007

21. 05-16-2006 12:37 AM #21
      Thanks, that sounds real interesting. I look forward to more updates

22. Member
      Vehicles
      05-17-2006 02:53 AM #22
      ok , tonight went pretty good. The CMC was hanging out in banquets pretty much the whole night. So, he wansnt on the line. It took a load of presseure off of all of us. Though we still had wine dinner tonight. It was a pretty busy night . Not all night. But we had a pop of 2 ten tops at once which made it a bit hairy. It was all good though. We got in some swordfish. I went out to the herb garden and got some lemon thyme, added lemon juice, peppercorns, shallots, S&P, and olive oil. Did a nice marinade for it. We sold 5 orders, it was going with a grilled ratatioulle and isrealli couscous, tomato/basil coulis. Nice dish. We didnt do 100 people but around 70 all day. However, i didnt have my mise en place completed by 6pm. Luckily the chef wasnt on top of me for it. He was relly cool today. Well, gotta hit the bed. Updates will come tomorrow.

Vehicles
      Civic
      05-17-2006 04:20 PM #23
      awesome . I look forward to the updates.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      05-19-2006 12:07 PM #24
      Sorry I havent been around for the past 2 days. We had a bunch going on 2 ninety on the books nights. Lastnight was our first over 100 w/o the big man watching over us and it went down like clockwork. It was a fun night, we worked together as a team and pulled through. I went in an hour early off the clock just to help get my mise en place right. Lastnight we went out to this place here in atlanta for their "industry night", where pitchers are like 6 bucks or something like that, plus its 30% off of the tab. This is on thursday nights. We closed the place down and left around 3:30am . But, over a few beers we discussed the strong and weak points of that line that we need to sharpen up. Tonight im thinking about running a grilled georgia trout over applewood smoked bacon hash, pecan lime butter and mabye garnish with a micro green salad for some color. Sounds good to me.,,,, Well, im gonna get on writing up my requisition sheet and prep list. Ill try and have an update tonight. Its gonna be a late one though. 80 on the books and counting.

25. 05-19-2006 08:51 PM #25
      whats a rough average of the kind of money to be made working like that? seems way too stressful.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      05-20-2006 12:15 AM #26
      it all depends in where you work, what kind of establishment. your position. ive heaard rumors that some chefs make over 100,000 a year. But, in reality you cant be in it for the money. In the area where I used to live anything $40,000 or over was . I live in atlanta now, and dont know the average exec chef salary. Im sure it can be dug up on salary.com or one of those places. Im to lazy tonight. haha. believe me, i dont make a lot of money if thats what your asking , but, hey I am good at what I do and get enjoyment out of it. Id love to have a cash cow job to hook up the dubs and so fourth, but in reality I dont know if there is a job out there that would make me happier. Unless i could get paid for browsing vortex

Vehicles
      05' Dakota, 01 Suzuki DRZ250, 81' Honda CM400, 97 Kawi Ninja 500R
      05-22-2006 05:26 AM #27
      I love reading this thread! haha
      New Vortex isn't so bad

28. Member
      Vehicles
      05-23-2006 11:31 PM #28
      Back again, Tonight was a good night. We had 60 on the books when we came in. Tonight was wine dinner night as well. I ended up fabricating down black grouper, rainbow trout, red snapper, salmon. Our butcher wasnt in today so I had the pleasure of cleaning 6 racks of lamb all the way down, including evening the bones down on the bandsaw. Tonight on the wine dinner for my entree was grilled leg of lamb with spinach sauteed with artichoke hearts (fresh) and fennel, sauced with a lamb jus. We also had grilled black grouper with an asian stir fried veggies over a fried sushi rice cake, and a reduced fish jus.

Aside from work. I had a good time at home on sunday and monday doing dinner. Sunday night. I did marinated mahi mahi over white rice with orange segments, sliced avacados and an sweet and spicy asian sauce. Monday I did seared rack of lamb with garlic sauteed rappini, and orzo. With a ghetto homemade demi, with an essence of mint. It was very nice though.

29. 05-24-2006 12:29 AM #29
      Oh yeah, now I remember why I don't cook the line anymore. 12 years of that was enough. It does bring back the memories. Here are some weeds for ya...

30. 05-24-2006 01:43 AM #30
      Quote, originally posted by Girlsound »
      Oh yeah, now I remember why I don't cook the line anymore. 12 years of that was enough. It does bring back the memories. Here are some weeds for ya...

I spent about 5 hours in those today

05-24-2006 02:59 AM #31
      Great thread, sounds like your doing some nice stuff, and, you have the right attitude. You don't even sound to bitter towards chef
      I've been there man, keep up the good work...

Vehicles
      MKV
      05-24-2006 07:56 AM #32
      sweet!! im a exe. sous chef , i just recently got out of that life and opened somthing fun and smaller. But i have a french cuisine backround/And im a certified sous chef. Keep up the good work
      KillaCoupeRacing

33. Member
      Vehicles
      05-25-2006 12:48 AM #33
      well tonight wasnt as pleasant as all of the other nights, ( I know you'll were waiting for this). We only had 60 on the books, but they all came in within a 20 minute period. and had a prix fixe 8 top as well. Oh man, I was Purely WEEDED. I got behind and forgot to fire 2 14oz veal strips. These have the bone in and take a LONG time to cook! They were going medium. We were on plate-up when I realized i had yet to fire them. . , The chef was like where are the 2 veal strips. Im sure the look on my face was priceless. Well, i threw em in the the salamander, marked em, and yes (sorry guys, but sh*t happens) gave them some radar love. To get the ticket out. The CMC had left for the night so I was straight. But, i messed up and i purely admit it. The exec sous didnt even give me hell cause he knew i was hard enough on myself about it. Tomorrow we have 60 on the books and counting. I will have my shyser together and will definitely leave you guys with a positive update.
      Oh yeah, this was me. The Wood shelter is a representation of my station:

Ya'll still interested, or am I boring you yet?

Modified by LovetheA2s at 5:57 AM 5-25-2006

05-25-2006 11:52 AM #34
      still interesting...maybe explain more of the "lingo" as you go though. That last post was pretty incomprehensible to me.

I could tell you forgot to cook some veal, and you microwaved it to get it done faster.

35. 05-25-2006 04:10 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by Girlsound »

lmfao. Nothing like just blindly making everything and hoping someone else sorts it out. btw a salamander is a broiler that cooks on the top and bottom. A guy at Jordans used to deep fry steaks if he was too far behind, You'd be suprised how much microwaving goes on in the back....

Modified by vdubjb at 4:12 PM 5-25-2006

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast