VWVortex

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: So I rotated into the P.M Grill Position

1. Member
      Vehicles
      A Wagon, A Jetta, Another Jetta and a 650cc Scooter
      06-16-2006 01:20 AM #71
      not a problem bro.

It was an easy night tonight. We had 40 on the books and did probably about 60 overall. Had some dunk dude tell one of our waiters to carry the plate back to the kitchen (with nothing on it) and tell the grill cook that "that motherfcker knows how to cook a steak"
      It was good to hear

Oh yeah, Page 3 OWNED Beaches!

2. 06-16-2006 07:42 PM #72
      Quote, originally posted by LovetheA2s »
      Had some dunk dude tell one of our waiters to carry the plate back to the kitchen (with nothing on it) and tell the grill cook that "that motherfcker knows how to cook a steak"

buahaha......thats sweet bro

3. 06-19-2006 03:56 PM #73
      That sounds like something I would do if I got drunk!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      06-21-2006 12:49 PM #74
      well, lastnight went pretty well. We had 38 on the books and it jumped up to 56 by the start of service. Of course, tuesday night was wine dinner. The first course was a roasted garlic bisque with fresh made basil and goat cheese raviolis (spinach pasta). Second course was a grilled 4 oz filet with scalloped potatoes, baby carrots and a porcini mushroom jus. Third course was a marinated french green bean salad with orange segments and microgreens. toasted almonds were also added. Fourth course was a warm summer fruit gelatin with marscapone sorbet. It all went well with the wines. There were also some other items like a lemon and thyme crusted salmon with wild mushroom timbale, sauteed asparagus, & crabmeat beurre blanc. Sous vide taris major, Like a tenderlion portion of beef . and we ran a sauteed monkfish special. The grill went real smooth lastnight. Saute was weeded real bad. But, our saute guy is heading back to school in a few weeks and our garde manger guy is moving back home. So, its gonna be a new line up on the line. Just after we got our stuff together too!!! We'll see. Ill keep youu guys informed if your still interested.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf
      06-22-2006 03:27 PM #75
      Just read the whole thread and am digging it. Keep going. Very interesting stuff.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      06-23-2006 12:37 AM #76
      thanks for the imput guys, ya'll are the ones that keep me keep this thread going. Tonight was pretty kick ass we had a 12 top order all off the grill, plus a 6 , and an 8yop, order at the same time all at once. 3/4 of the other 2 tables were grill. so at one time i had 2 tomahawk chops going, 9 taras majors going, 4 6oz filets, 3 triple chop orders, 2 4 ounce filets, and 3 amber jack fish. It was painful, not to mention 3 orders of grilled vegetables. We made it through. Tomorrow we have 50 on the books and counting. I made a home made worcestershire sauce that will be going with a 12 oz ny srip, sauteed spinach, and fried potatoes tossed with garlic, salt and pepper for saturday. I hope it sells. Heres the recipe if you guys want it:

Worcestershire Sauce:

Ingredients:
      - 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
      - 1 Ea Onion Sliced
      - 1 Cup Shrimp Shells or 1 Tbsp Chopped Anchovies
      - 1 Tbsp Garlic
      - 1 Tbsp Chopped Ginger (brunoise)
      - 1 Tbsp Fresh Chile, minced
      - 2 Cups White Vinegar
      - 1 Cup Beer
      - 1 Cup Pineapple Juice
      - ½ Cup Molasses
      - 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste or Ketchup
      - 4 Each Cloves
      - 1 Tbsp Cumin
      - 2 Tbsp Black Pepper
      - 1 Shot Brown Liquor
      - ¼ Cup Soy Sauce
      - 1 Ea Lime (juiced)
      - 1 Cup Tarimarand Water (sub equal parts molasses and lime juice)

MOP:
      Lightly brown the onion in the olive oil, add shells, garlic, ginger, and Chile, and cook for 2 more minutes. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, 2 hours later, strain, make sure it can lightly coat the back of a spoon

This recipe is the SHIZ!!!! I picked it up from the past chef that I worked for. For a steak, take a bit put it in a pan, mound it with butter and serve it with the steak. Its

I know, ya'll can say yeah ill get my store bought and be happy, but this is the real deal!

Vehicles
      2003 540i/6, '00 Xterra 4x4
      06-23-2006 01:48 AM #77
      Fascinating stuff, keep the updates coming!

I'm catching a lot of the lingo (y'all in the kitchen are almost as bad as us IT-types - speaking your own language), but I couldn't figure out what this meant:

"Tonight was pretty kick ass we had a 12 top order all off the grill, plus a 6 , and an 8yop, order at the same time all at once."

Are the numbers the number of people at a given table?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06-23-2006 02:23 AM #78
      yes. when we refer to a top , that is the given amount of people at a table, 8 top= 8 people. 6 top- 6 people. To make a long story short. I had a lot of people come in at once

9. Member
      Vehicles
      06-28-2006 12:44 AM #79
      tonight was super crazy. Our Garde manger guy was in a car accident and is out till thursday. Chef Loaded us up with a super extensive menut with soem of the wildest flavor profiles I have ever seen. I had to break down cobia, mahi mahi, Yukon river salmon, lobster tails, regular salmon. We also had bronzini. We did Mojito marinated lamb chops (yes wuth rum, mint, and club soda). Our expo girl was on garde manger, our CMC eas expoing and we did about 75. Plus it was wine dinner night. Im pooped, Ive been in since 11am, and am just now outta there. Time to sit down to a glass of wine work on my requisition list for tomorrow.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      06-28-2006 12:47 AM #80
      How many of you kids have had to grind 2 lbs of fresh horseradish root in the hobart with the grater attachment. It literally takes your breath away, your eyes water, and is like tear gas.

11. 06-28-2006 12:45 PM #81
      Wow, that doesn't sound fun.

What dish was that all used in?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      06-28-2006 01:49 PM #82
      Horseradish encrusted yukon river salmon with roasted garlic whipped potatoes, and lentils.

13. 06-28-2006 03:39 PM #83
      I keep asking you cooking tips, but now I ask for a recipe!

Do you know how to make a good lentil soup?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      06-29-2006 03:03 AM #84
      I havent really messed wih lentil soup much . But, here is a recipe from food tv. Hope it helps.I took the time and I browsed a few a recipes and picked one which i thought might help. im gonna give it a shot myself

2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
      1 medium onion, chopped
      2 carrots, peeled and chopped
      2 celery stalks, chopped
      2 garlic cloves, chopped
      Salt and freshly ground black pepper
      1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
      1 pound lentils (approximately 1 1/4 cups)
      11 cups low-salt chicken broth
      4 to 6 fresh thyme sprigs
      2/3 cup dried elbow pasta
      1 cup shredded Parmesan

Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and saute until all the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices. Simmer until the juices evaporate a little and the tomatoes break down, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add the lentils and mix to coat. Add the broth and stir. Add the thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes.
      Stir in the pasta. Simmer until the pasta is tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, drizzle with olive oil, and serve.

15. 06-30-2006 06:09 PM #85
      Oooooo Lentil's with pasta and cheese, sounds good! Let me know how it turns out.

Also curious about the homemade Worchetshire saucer you made. You talked about a cup of shrimp shells. Is this just the outside of the shrimp, as in the shells which most people discard? And how do you use it in your sauce?

16. Member
      Vehicles
      07-02-2006 03:06 AM #86

Quote, originally posted by watanabe2k »

Also curious about the homemade Worchetshire saucer you made. You talked about a cup of shrimp shells. Is this just the outside of the shrimp, as in the shells which most people discard? And how do you use it in your sauce?

Yes, its just the shrimp shells that are typically discarded. There is much flavor in crustacean shells. Lobster bisque is made using the discarded lobster bodies and shells. Well, when you start the worcestershire, you saute the shells with the oil in the bottom of the pot. You leave them in the pot the whole time while the sauce is reducing and strain them out at the end

17. Member
      Vehicles
      07-06-2006 04:00 AM #87
      well, yesterday was wild. We did over 2500 people at our place (outside Grilling, with picnic style fixins') We had beans, tomato caprezzi salad, potato salad, shrimp salad, coleslaw, also had bbq and a few other hot entrees, oh yeah, ribs too. But we had 4 grill stations setup with coolers full of burgers and hot dogs. There were 2 guys on each grill which was about 6ft wide. One man was starting them, flipping them and sending them down. and the other guy was finishing them with cheese and putting them on the peoples' plates. I went through a 120qt cooler of burgers in about 1 hour. It was CRAZY!!!!! We had a line that was about 200 yards long just at my station alone. I have blisters on 4 of my knuckles from the heat. I was allowed to wear my oakleys to prevent the smoke from getting into my eyes. We had a beautiful orchestrated fireworks ceremony, rumored the club spent $30k + on the fireworks/pyrotechnicians alone. Had pony rides for the kids, 6 bars, Häagen-Dazs ice cream booths and so much more.

Then, i had to come back to work again today. We got in a Kobe beef strip and are running it with pommes frites and a port Jus. 42 dollar plate, sold 4 tonight. Also i have a grilled veggie stack which consists of grilled zucchini, squash, tomato, sauteed spinach, goat cheese, and grilled portabella on top. They are all cut with a ring mold and stacked in a mold. Done fresh daily.

We have a good day lined up for tomorrow. Many reservations, Later guys

18. 07-12-2006 02:01 PM #88
      Man that sounds like a crazy Fourth of July! Is that the most customers you guys will serve in a single day?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      07-13-2006 12:45 AM #89
      yes, that is the largest number of people i have done with our club. And the most I have done in my career. It was wild, We are closing the kitchen down this saturday for 2 weeks for repairs and remodling. Everyone is using up their vacation. I am heading back to VA. (where i moved from) for a week and ill be back the next. We are getting new walk-ins, ac unit, full kitchen repaint, new ovens, deep fryer, and smallwares. LIike a wee bit of a Christmas for us. Yesterday was a wierd night though. We had 25 on the books and ended up doing over 100 walk-ins between 8:00 and 10:00. Total count was like 128 . I got weeded a bit , but made it through. I havent posted much lately cause i was feeling like the interest on this thread had died off. But, i will be more than happy to keep it going if ya'll want me to.

20. 07-13-2006 02:27 PM #90
      But, i will be more than happy to keep it going if ya'll want me to.

21. 07-13-2006 02:59 PM #91
      I havent posted much lately cause i was feeling like the interest on this thread had died off. But, i will be more than happy to keep it going if ya'll want me to.

Until Top Chef is back, you are the best culinary reality show there is!

PC

22. 07-13-2006 06:06 PM #92
      Yeah, keep the thread up. I like to see the day to day events. Maybe you should blog it out! ^_^

23. 07-13-2006 06:36 PM #93
      no fighting, yelling or throwing stuff, sounds like a boring gig, lol.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf
      07-17-2006 03:53 PM #94
      I say keep em coming. I keep waiting for updates, but no pressure, from the sounds of it you are very busy (and I know there won't be any for a bit due to the remodel, but when that's done, keep em coming).

Vehicles
      2003 540i/6, '00 Xterra 4x4
      07-20-2006 04:17 PM #95
      Yep, I've been enjoying the updates as well. Keep 'em coming!

Vehicles
      Civic
      07-24-2006 12:53 AM #96
      Seriously, this is probably my favorite Vortex thread. I look forward to updates.

27. 07-26-2006 12:34 AM #97
      Here's the menu I helped write and serve at the Beard House 6 years ago...
      I'm trying to incite/inspire you into posting more of your day to day.....

28. Member
      Vehicles
      07-26-2006 03:36 AM #98
      Quote, originally posted by Danbodia »
      Here's the menu I helped write and serve at the Beard House 6 years ago...
      I'm trying to incite/inspire you into posting more of your day to day.....

That is a beautifully composed menu, well done chef!

Thanks bro. I cant thank you enough for the insight and the motivation to keep it going. Its people like all of you that keep it going for me. Tonight I was working at our country club. We did our governers board meeting.

The menu was extensive and I got to help place all plates and help with plateup

1st course) Trio of Ahi tuna
      *Ahi tuna carpaccio with fresh zested lime
      *ahi tuna springroll with scallions, pineapple, rice paper, and ****take bacon
      (****take mushrooms that have been sliced super thin, dressed with sesame oil, salt and pepper, baked at 350*F till crispy.

*Seared ahi tuna with wasabi bruniose potato salad, julienned nori, and soy sauce caramel.

THIS DISH WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2nd course)
      Spinach tossed in a roasted peach and champagne vinaigrette with seared peaches, shaved red onions, brioche/proscuitto/brie grilled cheeses, and reduced balsamic

3rd course)
      Grilled kobe strip with braised short ribs, truffled cauliflower, sauteed spinach, beef demi glace, and fried onions

4th course)
      Malted chocolate milk ice cream, with profiterols, oven roasted pineapples, sliced strawberries, melba sauce and hot fudge sauce

That was tonights menu.

I want to give a shout out to the followers of the thread, few in particular

Danbodia, Vdubjb, Killswitch85, iamnotemo, watanabe2k, and Richard_Hurts.

You guys are my inspiration

Dan, thanks for the Boost, thanks for looking out for a fellow culinarian. Ill keep it going as best as i can.

I hope to meet some of you guys someday.

Just remember "cooking is knowledge, knowledge is sharing, and dont forget to continue to share your knowledge with every fellow culinarian we meet" C/O CMC Fritz Sonnerschmidt

Modified by LovetheA2s at 3:17 PM 7-26-2006

Vehicles
      2004 Lancer Ralliart Sedan (not quite stock)
      07-26-2006 04:43 AM #99
      You need to start a blog to accompany this thread. I've followed it from the beginning and most of the dishes you decribe sound amazing. The Worcestershire sauce recipe you posted was incredible. I'm never going store-bought again.
      XBL--lJesse Custerl|PSN-lJesseCusterl
      EBC brakes, Injen SRI, ridiculous stereo, etc.

30. 07-26-2006 12:29 PM #100
      wasabi bruniose potato salad - tell me more about this. Being Japanese I love wasabi, I'm really interested in what this recipie is like since I have wasabi and potatoes sitting at home.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      07-26-2006 01:07 PM #101

Quote, originally posted by watanabe2k »
      wasabi bruniose potato salad - tell me more about this. Being Japanese I love wasabi, I'm really interested in what this recipie is like since I have wasabi and potatoes sitting at home.

Forgive my retardedness, It wasnt a bruniose. It was a small dice. Not quite a brunoise though. But it consisted of small diced potato (blanch till al dente) meaning 'to the tooth' firm enough to stand up to being mixed without breaking down. add in wasabi powder, thinly sliced scallions, touch of sea salt, little bit of white pepper, bit of mayo, and I believe he put a touch of sesame oil (just s touch, not enough to make any oil deposits, just for a hint of flavor). I want to find out if he put any hb egg in it cause I am not sure. He had it prepped before i got in. But, this is what I can recall tasting and seeing.

Thats what I can recall right off hand, but I will make sure to get the exct recipe for you tonight. It was very nice though

32. 07-26-2006 01:20 PM #102
      Oooo, I think I will try a variation of this. Of course I don't like mayo, so I think I am gonna just go with wasabi and potatoes, with the scallions, salt, and pepper. Oh and I do have sesame oil! I love to put a touch in some of my dishes for the hint of flavor that you talked about!

33. Member
      Vehicles
      07-26-2006 01:46 PM #103
      thats awesome bro. Keep up the great work. Its an honor for you guys to try my recipes, and recipes that i see and offer.

34. 07-26-2006 01:51 PM #104
      Vermont Artisan cheeses...oh my...time for a Zingerman's run.

Best thread in the Community forums. Keep up the great posts.

PC

Vehicles
      Civic
      07-26-2006 04:04 PM #105
      the ahi tuna springrolls are making my mouth water. Man, I was thinking about shecrab soup until I got home, now this. I need help.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast