VWVortex

Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647 LastLast
    Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1167

Thread: So I rotated into the P.M Grill Position

1. Member
      Vehicles
      A Wagon, A Jetta, Another Jetta and a 650cc Scooter
      03-11-2012 05:55 AM #1076
      I am here. It has been busy since I hit th door. My days begin at about 8:30am and are ending at 10:30pm. I am the purchasing agent for my kitchen (and putting all product away), butcher, chef, food runner sometimes, and everything that comes in between. I have been extremely busy, and there is no time to wind down until our season is over. I am however having a blast with writing all of my own specials, with no governing of sorts. It feels good to make some calls, and have it my way. The members are enjoying the food so far and I have put up some quality food for the kitchen I am in , as well as the clientelle that I am catering to. Its nice to have my own office , too bad I live at work. So , i have decided to make it a bit more welcoming, by adding a yankee candle, coat rack, and picture of my family. My camera is in storage and should be out here within 3 weeks when all of my belongings get delivered. Hopefully i will be signing a lease tomorrow on a house to rent. Did cook dinner for Bill Gates this past weekend. I learned how to cook proper mexican rice, everything I have eaten in the past 2 weeks has been in a tortilla (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), i am immune to serrano peppers with seeds in, I am picking up good on my spanish, I love the fresh produce and seafood, days have been 72 and sunny, car is registered in CA now and its been nice so far. I cant wait to get fully settled, in which i can take the Motorcycle up to Mulholland drive for a good ride. L.A is about 2 hours away. I did also find a local pho spot, and am happier than ever there is one here. I would have had withdrawls if i was cut off of my pho. Hope to get the camera soon, as I am ready to post some pics. Hope all is well with everyone.

Take care guys,

Aaron

Vehicles
      81 Roc.79 911 SC Targa,Subie Legacy,BMW X1 M Package
      03-14-2012 09:20 PM #1077
      Good deal.
      Beware the Arizona D-Bags, they know too much!!!!!! ... and Corvettes are over hyped American Junk, just so you know.

Vehicles
      MKV
      03-15-2012 09:00 AM #1078
      nice report. Yes Chef De Cusine does it all. Hope you dont get burned out. Your still young. Id love to see some of the specials your writing. Keep us posted
      KillaCoupeRacing

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '15 B8 Passat Variant
      03-29-2012 04:58 PM #1079
      Quote Originally Posted by LovetheA2s View Post
      I am here. It has been busy since I hit the door....Aaron
      Keep it coming! Fans are waiting!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      04-10-2012 03:07 AM #1080
      ok, so I got moved into my new place. and just got the internet set up today. Things are well. Last week was crazy as we had a party of 500 plated 3 courses. Then we had easter, and I have been doing 200+ covers in my restaurant for the past 15 days. Lunch and Dinner. The season should be dying off in the next month as it will be getting hot out here in California. I have one of my guys who is out for the week, sick. So i am on the line for pm service as brioler/grill. Ive been getting rocked.

Specials lately have been

- Seared scallops with smoked salmon whipped yukon gold mash, carrot butter sauce, vanilla oil

- Teryaki Glazed grouper fillet with steamed white rice, napa cabbage slaw, miso butter emulsion
      with nori

- Pan seared arctic charr with apple fennel slaw, citrus flavored cous cous, and beurre blanc

- Seared bacon wrapped scallops with silken cauiliflower puree, oven roasted veg (pearl onions,
      turnips, carrots), parsley emulsion

- Smoked fried mozzarella salad "caprese" with marinated artichokes, heirloom tomatoes, arugala, balsamic, sea salt, and good olive oil

- Cast iron seared monkfish over tuscan white bean pistou, tomato, smoked ham, and sauteed
      spinach

- Grilled bluenose snapper "aqua pazza" , spicy tomato broth with shaved fennel, kalamata olives, tomatoes, fresh oregano, haricots verts, shaved elephant garlic, onions, micros

These are just a few. Pics will follow soon i hope

How is everyone? Ive been on 17 days, and ready for a day off! hope all is well, Still alive Chris?

Aaron

6. 04-12-2012 12:12 PM #1081
      jesus christ that sounds like such a great menu. can't wait to see some more pics.

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 09:07 PM #1082
      Yeah, I'm still alive. Forget about me(I've been crisp a long while now), how are you????
      Beware the Arizona D-Bags, they know too much!!!!!! ... and Corvettes are over hyped American Junk, just so you know.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      04-23-2012 02:31 AM #1083
      Im doing well. Things are busy, but will be slowing down this month as it is getting hot out here. We had a day of 107*F here today and it was nice to be indoors in a kitchen (wierd huh?). Anyways, I just got my wall set up with all things culinary related in my room at the new house. and it turned out pretty good . I have a grill built into the backyard of the new house and am enjoying it on the days off. I have grilled steaks and burgers every day off. Which is about a total of 3 times so far. I did take the bike up to the mountains and have a ride this past Wednesday. It was nice to get away from everything and enjoy some me time. Work has been so busy I havent had much time to do anything personally. Im so far behind. Hope all is well with everyone.

Take care

Aaron

9. Member
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 03:34 AM #1084
      Time for an update. Pics of Plenty

New Pad:

No dresser, when in doubt, think like a chef:

After a hard day at the office, what does your shower do?

West Coast fun in the Sun:

one of our members' cars:

Stasis powered r8 spyder, v10 supercharged 798hp:

Backyard goodies:

Which Make this, citrus cello:

Roommate's uncles house in LA, SICK!
      (my old roommate from Atlanta, moved out together, and his girl)

Chinatown LA:

Pho:

Ideas in Food :

Pan fried Softshell crabs over corn and sweet pea succotash, applewood smoked bacon, braised artichokes, corn veloute, and lemon confit

Grilled bluenose snapper "aqua pazza" , spicy tomato broth with shaved fennel, kalamata olives, tomatoes, fresh oregano, haricots verts, shaved elephant garlic, onions, micros

Grilled Maha Mahi, jumbo asparagus, steamed white rice, mango relish, passion fruit butter sauce:

Pan Seared striped bass, pluche of baby head lettuces, marinated haricots vert with pink picked onions, parm reggiano / white balsamic vin, parm crisp, aged balsamic drizzle:

Sesame crusted ahi with steamed white rice, wakame salad with avocado, heirloom tomato, and cucumber, pea chutes, and soy caramel:

Grilled Barramundi with composed salad of: ruby red grapefruit, balckbeans, avocado, dungeness crab, pickled onion, cilantro, mint, vanilla scented oven roasted pineapple, cumin bruleed grapefuit, and black bean creme fraiche sauce. Sexy plate!!!!

Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped scallops with basil, wilted arugula, pesto butter sauce, sundried tomato / goat cheese crostini , oven roasted roma tomatoes, White balsamic syrup

Pan seared carolina trout "nicoise":

Seared trout, salad of haricots verts, frisee, julienne tomato, soft poached egg, kalamata olive tapenade with basil, smoked tomato coulis:

Employee meal in my restaurant:

If my guys are happy, I am happy!

At work, Breakfast:

Lunch:

And dinner:

An execution , straight out of french laundry, i was pleased:

All for Now. Hope this makes up for a lengthy period of no pic posts.

Aaron

Vehicles
      a van
      05-03-2012 07:45 AM #1085
      congrats on the new place, man! the kitchen and grill looks awesome

any reason these latest dishes were all seafood?
      what did you guys do with the cow head?
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

11. 05-03-2012 09:34 AM #1086
      Hot dang man - good to see some pics up from you again! Gotta love backyard fruit trees, our friends out there had 7 avocado trees in the backyard at their old place.

Awesome looking dishes. Your guys making cabeza there?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 01:02 PM #1087
      main reason for the seafood is that there hasnt been a nightly changing beef, pork, or chicken entree special on the menu (as per previous chef that i replaced) . When I got here, i hit the ground running and was told not to shake things up to aggressively (menu wise) when i got in. So, i havent tampered with my current menu too much. This summer when we are slower i have a lot of homework to do, full new menu rollout, new kitchen orientation, implimentation of "new nightly features menu", reorganization of dry storage (for inventory purposes), walk in, and paper goods room. We also have to go through our posi touch system and update pricing, delete old menu items and such. It will be busy. But, i am looking forward to the progress. Thanks for the praises. The cow head was roasted in the oven, till completely tender, pulled and tacos were made for all. Salsa verde, picante, pico, chile de arbol and habeneros as well. They did it up. Best tounge tacos i have ever had. hands down

Hope all is well

Aaron
      Last edited by LovetheA2s; 05-03-2012 at 01:05 PM.

13. 05-21-2012 03:11 PM #1088
      I've been following this thread for a while now. Great stuff!
      Last edited by joness0154; 05-22-2012 at 06:56 AM.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      07-24-2012 11:51 PM #1089
      Well Guys, I am on Vacation for a few weeks and have been enjoying some time off. It has been a blast. I have been to the beach in NC, Went to MD for the 4th of July, Went to Jersey for Waterfest and have cooked some good food along the way. I did do a dinner 2 weeks ago, 9 courses for 5 people with a pretty agressive menu. It was a fun challenge as I was the only one executing the prep, cookery, plating, and such. One of the ladies I was cooking for asked if she could help. She was a good help though. Dinner went off without a hitch and everyone had a very pleasant evening. Had some great wines as well.

Onto the menu and Pics:

Amuse
      Venison Pepperoni with Apple Chutney and Cheddar- Porcelin Spoon

1st
      Chilled Sparkling Cantaloupe Soup with essence of St. Germaine and Thai Basil- Stemless Wine Glasses

2nd
      Heirloom Tomato Salad with Oriental Cucumbers, Organic Cherry Tomatoes, Mozzarella Pearls, Balsamic Syrup and Good Olive Oil- Large Family Style Square plate

3rd
      Compressed Watermelon Salad with Crumbled Feta, Shaved Red Onion, Mache Greens, Sea Salt, Avocado
      (small square, or 10 inch round)

4th
      Ahi Tuna Poke with red onion, avocado, sesame, kalbi sauce, and Wonton Crisps
      (long white rounded boat)

5th
      Pan Seared Bacon Wrapped Scallop With Silken Cauliflower Puree, Pink Pickled Onion and Frisee
      (white rectangle)

6th
      Sous Vide, Truffle Scented Filet of Beef Oscar with Asparagus, Dave and Dees Mushrooms, Jumbo Lump Crabmeat , Sauce Béarnaise (large square)

7th
      Pan Seared Foie Gras “Creamsicle”- Orange Gastrique, Vanilla Oil, Toasted Brioche, Micros
      ( medium square )

8th
      Buttermilk Panna Cotta With Blueberry Coulis, Fresh Berries - Wine Glasses

15. Member
      Vehicles
      07-25-2012 12:04 AM #1090

and a few randoms, fishing, my buddy who i used to work with in ATL and His wife (when we cooked dinner at my parents place one night), and Garden Harvests:

Hope all is well with everyone. Take care guys

Aaron

Vehicles
      07-25-2012 08:27 PM #1091
      Sweet. Where are you guys getting the Foie Gras from?? Hopefully Hudson Valley FG(In Ferndale) which Is like 45 min. from my house. Best In the US!! As usual all looks superb. What about you open up something In the Hudson Valley area and I come work for you?? Lots of stuff going on over here and lots of loot to be spent. You can get burnt ex chefs to work pretty cheap too!Good Luck Dude.

17. 07-26-2012 10:21 AM #1092
      you had me at Ahi Poke, love that stuff

18. Member
      Vehicles
      08-11-2012 02:01 AM #1093
      Yes Chris, The foie was hudson Valley. 93 Bucks for a lobe of A. It was good good. The plate needed one more element I thought . Which I should have done a Vanilla sorbet, or vanilla fraiche for the top. I cant come up to New York, I dont have the talent you guys have up there man. Youll would send me home with my tail between my legs.

Hope all is well with everyone

Aaron

19. Member
      Vehicles
      08-15-2012 04:10 AM #1094
      So I was going through my pics tonight and realized that I never posted about one of my greatest culinary accomplishments. Head Cheese. I did this over a year ago, with a good friend at my old job. It turned out amazing, and i convinced many non food people to try the delight. With much praise. Not to mention that it was just plain, aesthetically beautiful (for what it is). I took a great recipe, put my own twist on it, refined some standards, and added some love. End result was a beautiful loaf of head cheese with brunoise applewood bacon added, bruniose mirepoix, extra garnish, and all the fun jazz that is in head cheese . Will definately do it again.

And the perfect Jellified Loaf of love:

All for now

Aaron

20. 08-24-2012 03:39 PM #1095
      probably the healthiest head cheese I've seen. Love that stuff.

Vehicles
      TDI Corrado, Honda Refrig (Pilot) & 9N MKoh
      09-06-2012 11:13 PM #1096
      Checking in for future updates

22. Member
      Vehicles
      09-13-2012 08:00 PM #1097
      Welp, finally broke down and picked up some goat. I have never bought it before and was feeling ethnic cuisine. Curried Goat with jasmine rice. Turned out phenominal and was more than happy with the results.

Hope all is well, Take care guys

Aaron

Vehicles
      '91 964, '93 525i, '05 GTI
      09-15-2012 08:50 PM #1098
      Oh my that head cheese. Probably one of my favorite things to make with my Father.

Do you mind passing along the recipe?

Love this thread!

24. Member
      Vehicles
      09-16-2012 04:44 AM #1099
      Dinner, at a cabin in the mountains (8k feet up , Big Bear Mountain here in Cali), for a friend of mine as well as her friend. Kind of a shotgun menu on the fly. Outsourced entree, as i arrived late due to work and couldnt put out more than 2 courses with time given. Plus i drove home tonight as well ( 2 hr drive). Still had a great time, and it was nice to get into some 70 degree weather and just kick back. Entree was calzones from a local italian spot.

One...... heirloom tomato, mozz, and basil salad with bibb and cuke (balsamic dressing)

Two.......proscuitto and canteloupe with watercress, avocado, oilive oil and cracked black pepper

And Jager, the recipe was nothing spectacular. Cleaned the head, split it, removed the brains, and soaked in a saline solution overnight with 1 lemon squeezed and hulls added. Then Cooked the head in a double chicken stock in the morning with mirepoix, trotters, garlic, thyme, shallots, love and such. Pull head out, strain, reduce braising liquid, add a lil gelatin (i didnt have enough trotter gelatin extract), pick/pull and shread all pork meat, cheeks, and all, i also used some shoulder chunks that I had in the kitchen. Semi frozen applewood bacon, bruniose dice as well as mirepoix brunoise. Sweat that out until bacon is cooked and garnish is tender, add fine chopped thyme and parsley to finish. Fold in to meat and add braising liquid, sea salt and cracked black pepper to finish. Let set up in a half hotel pan overnight. Skim fat off of top in the morning. Use a creme brulee torch to free the bottom from the pan, and invert onto cutting board. Slice down, club or saltine crackers and malt vinegar if you want. This recipe needed nothing. but you can always use rooster sauce on your cracker if ya need

Aaron

25. Member
      Vehicles
      09-20-2012 07:46 PM #1100
      My roommate and I went to Korea town in LA 2 days ago for some Korean BBQ. There is a place which was recommended to us. Apparently it is rated the best Korean in LA. It was really really good food. Parks BBQ is the name. If anyone lives in the LA area or plans to visit. I recommend it highly.

Whats new with everyone these days?

Aaron

Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647 LastLast