Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: So I rotated into the P.M Grill Position

1. Member
      Vehicles
      A Wagon, A Jetta, Another Jetta and a 650cc Scooter
      04-23-2009 11:52 PM #751
      So we had an extreme storm tonight. I was working saute cause our saute guy was off for ther night. Had 2 tables left, our biggest 2 of the night. a 7 and an 8 yet to order. Lights started flickering. Of course, went out, gas went off, like ***!. Pitch Black in the kitchen OK, lights came back on, reset gas, running on generator. Hoodfans off, got blistering hot, fryer was off, lit all pilots, handwritten DUPS, kept on rolling. Got the food out, everyone was happy. Went to a 3 compartment sink wash system. Dishwashers banged it out. This was all between 9 & 10. So we start closing down the line. Had to empty out the steam kettle of a 1/2 way completed demi. Emptied out all low boys as usual, also emptied out dairy/ waitstaff reach in, meat file, quickchill, produce cooler, 2 upstairs freezers and an upstairs reach in. So much fun Dishwashers left, later, power came back on and we were about to leave, so we got the enjoyment of finishing all the dishes. It was such a grand time! Just another day in the life of a chef.

Hope you guys feel my pain.
      Aaron

2. Member
      Vehicles
      04-27-2009 02:18 AM #752
      we were out last week, in north ga mountains, found some fiddlehead ferns, but they were just a bit too over-grown for sauteing. My buddy had a few bites on the fly rod while fishing, i was casting with the spinner with no luck, i didnt have waders as he did. was looking for morels, but it was a 'no dice' day. We were fishing in a trophy stream and hoping for dinner, but no luck. I wanna do a georgia themed dinner. Georgia trout, morels, fiddlehead ferns, some kinda peach salad or app, something with savannah bee company honey, local heirloom tomatoes, and a local pig farmer thrown in the mix. we will see, its time to do some stuff and post some pics!

Vehicles
      81 Roc.79 911 SC Targa,Subie Legacy,BMW X1 M Package
      04-27-2009 06:47 AM #753
      Quote, originally posted by LovetheA2s »
      So we had an extreme storm tonight. I was working saute cause our saute guy was off for ther night. Had 2 tables left, our biggest 2 of the night. a 7 and an 8 yet to order. Lights started flickering. Of course, went out, gas went off, like ***!. Pitch Black in the kitchen OK, lights came back on, reset gas, running on generator. Hoodfans off, got blistering hot, fryer was off, lit all pilots, handwritten DUPS, kept on rolling. Got the food out, everyone was happy. Went to a 3 compartment sink wash system. Dishwashers banged it out. This was all between 9 & 10. So we start closing down the line. Had to empty out the steam kettle of a 1/2 way completed demi. Emptied out all low boys as usual, also emptied out dairy/ waitstaff reach in, meat file, quickchill, produce cooler, 2 upstairs freezers and an upstairs reach in. So much fun Dishwashers left, later, power came back on and we were about to leave, so we got the enjoyment of finishing all the dishes. It was such a grand time! Just another day in the life of a chef.

Hope you guys feel my pain.
      Aaron

Had power out @ a Country Club Gig I had In 98 degree August heat and we fed 235 of our own and 170 from another local club that bailed on the problem. We had burlap bags filled with Ice and covered In plastic tied to the Ansel nippled to stop them from going off while we went through service. Had two expeditors pass out, and they werent even behind the line!! I don't even think that was the hottest I have ever been In a Kitchen. Should be Illegal!! What a Stupid Business!! Some things don't make sense.
      Beware the Arizona D-Bags, they know too much!!!!!! ... and Corvettes are over hyped American Junk, just so you know.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      04-27-2009 10:37 AM #754
      haha, wow, that one sounds pretty extreme. At my old job, we had th belt on the hoodfans snap with no repair for a whole day. We did 100+ a la carte brunch. Our old manager told us, " Well i guess you guys will actually earn your paychecks today", Ill never forget that . That was a hot day

5. Member
      Vehicles
      05-10-2009 07:18 PM #755
      Calling Chris, I worked a 91 hour week this week, your thoughts? love your inspiration!
      I am flat tired man, tired!

Vehicles
      05-12-2009 07:16 AM #756
      Calling Chris, I worked a 91 hour week this week, your thoughts? love your inspiration!

Aaron, I would love to show you some dayminders I have from '95,'96. some six week stretches In season with no day off, some 20 hour days, a 21 hour day.110 hour weeks. Six super sized walk In's and running out of space. Remembering calling a local Ice company and buying $450 worth of Ice to keep 40K worth of 4lb lobsters cool(outside on the loading dock) for a midweeks shore dinner. I did 50 hours last week and I am tired. Hang In there dude!! C.
      Beware the Arizona D-Bags, they know too much!!!!!! ... and Corvettes are over hyped American Junk, just so you know.

7. 05-12-2009 01:47 PM #757
      I love this thread!! I just adore eating food haha... but no way could I ever work in a restaurant. Its something you really have to love and have a passion for. props to you guys! (and gals!)

8. 05-13-2009 02:59 AM #758

I'm feeling your pain, My sous chef had to go back east for a family emergency, on of my best line guys came down with pneumonia, another line guy started school this week, and being mothers day, and us being a dinner only restaurant we did an a la carte brunch. We kept it simple, and banged it out really well, but between 3 of us we worked about 130 hours in 3 days, and managed to all party to keep our heads up in between. Also the week before I did my very first wine pairing event. 5 courses and it went off without a hitch, and had rave reviews from the customers. My first month as exec. chef and I have dropped labour 6%. I feels good. I had a rough couple months dealing with a pretty hard break up and a couple friends passing away, but doing this job well is really helping me keep my head up after all that. Its tiring as ****, but I know the rewards are coming.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2009 01:18 AM #759
      well, nothing new. Just working a lot. Anyone still hanging around here?

Vehicles
      2009 MCS
      06-14-2009 02:43 AM #760
      Just opened a new restaurant a 6 weeks ago. We had 6 days to train the staff. Our third night open we were planning on doing 150 covers. We did 450. Lakers semi finals across the street. It was a mad house. I am surprised no one quit that week. Openings are brutal. I am averaging 95hrs a week. I have had two days off since April 20th. The only reason I took one of them off was due to the LA marathon running around downtown and making damn near impossible to get to work. 3 food critics the first week we were open. Awesome.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2009 02:59 AM #761
      I hear ya. My gf just helped open a restaurant (being a sous chef) here in atlanta and has been doign 80 hour plus weeks for the past 3 weeks. We never see each other, and even live together! I went down there last tuesday and had 6 courses. She looked out for me. It was an amazing meal.

Vehicles
      2009 MCS
      06-14-2009 11:31 AM #762
      This is my 3rd opening in as many years, and every time I say "I'm not doing that again" and every time I agree to do it. It's a blast though, there is something about a brand new kitchen....shiny all-clad everywhere, new lexans, stainless that shines like it never will again.
      It justs makes you all warm and fuzzy, the cooks feel a little better about what they are doing when everything is brand new. I've found that it's easier to break A LOT of bad habits when the place is new, people generally just have a little more respect for an unseasoned saute pan right out of the box.
      A lot of people like to rag on a "corporate" restaurant, but from my experience "which is definitely not the norm", to be able to walk into a 4-6 million dollar restaurant, and know that you have the best of what you need and if you don't have it, it will be here soon is a great feeling.

06-14-2009 05:55 PM #763
      cool thread! i was a cook for a year or so at a chain restaurant. Some of the best time i ever had while working. I always wanted to persue it further and maybe go to culinary school but I have been side tracked. Keep up the good work sounds like you love what your doing!
      stay in drugs, eat school, and don't do vegetables
      permanent vacation

Vehicles
      Segway turbo
      06-14-2009 09:09 PM #764
      I worked a 91 hour week this week, your thoughts?

This is why I "retired" from the restaurant biz at the ripe old age of 34!
      definitely a young man's game.
      -Wes

Vehicles
      2009 MCS
      06-14-2009 09:39 PM #765
      Soj what do you do now? Just curious, who knows what I will be doing in 5 years?

Vehicles
      Segway turbo
      06-14-2009 11:15 PM #766
      Quote, originally posted by dirtyjersey420 »
      Soj what do you do now? Just curious, who knows what I will be doing in 5 years?

I took two months off and decided to get my insurance license. Being my own boss, in control of my own time & income, took awhile to get use to. I was so accustom to being rushed in a loud kaotic setting. Very happy & glad I made the move. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I still have dreams often of running a shift and everything collapses, plus I can't get to sleep until 2am usually. All the years from the restaurant work has programmed me. Even woke up a few times from using my pillow as a saute pan or servers tray!
      -Wes

17. Member
      Vehicles
      06-15-2009 12:35 AM #767
      damn great so still see you around Wes. You plan on making a trip back down to Atl anytime soon?

Vehicles
      Segway turbo
      06-15-2009 07:44 AM #768
      wassup Aaron?
      I'm planning a late July trip down to Atlanta. I'll keep you posted!
      -Wes

19. 06-15-2009 01:58 PM #769
      I just graduated from The Culinary Institute of America. I'm twenty years old and it's really Inspiring to see another dubhead that wants to become a chef.Where do you find the time to work on your car with all the busy hours?Much respect

20. Member
      Vehicles
      06-15-2009 06:54 PM #770
      well my friend, I have no time for the dub. End of story. it falls by the way side. I work with a full brigade of CIA chefs, students and apprentices. The industry is pretty tough man. Hope you have a tough heart, soul and passion for food. Expect long hours, no h20, no waterfest, time on the weekends, holidays!. Its our industry. I have become a chef, well sous chef as of now, and am working on the real deal. Ask Chris, he will chime in im sure. I love what I do, miss my personal life. But, Enjoy what I do! That is all. The food and experience is what matters. Its a passionate career. Hollar at me if you need anything at all. Take care bud. If you have any culinary related pics from school, apprenticeship or work, feel free to post them. This thread needs some flavor.
      Aaron

21. 06-16-2009 10:59 AM #771
      Excellent stuff!
      I wish had a few of those mushrooms for an omelet!

Vehicles
      06-16-2009 06:10 PM #772
      well my friend, I have no time for the dub. End of story. it falls by the way side. I work with a full brigade of CIA chefs, students and apprentices. The industry is pretty tough man. Hope you have a tough heart, soul and passion for food. Expect long hours, no h20, no waterfest, time on the weekends, holidays!. Its our industry. I have become a chef, well sous chef as of now, and am working on the real deal. Ask Chris, he will chime in im sure. I love what I do, miss my personal life. But, Enjoy what I do! That is all. The food and experience is what matters. Its a passionate career. Hollar at me if you need anything at all. Take care bud. If you have any culinary related pics from school, apprenticeship or work, feel free to post them. This thread needs some flavor.
      The more Intense you get, the less time you will have. The higher position you receive the less time you will have with much added headaches. I'll probably never leave, but I traded In my whites and my Clogs and my 100 hour a week big title a while back and I have been happier ever since with no reflection in money. Gotta find the right facet and use It to your advantage when you sock away the experience. You think you know a lot when you graduate but you will soon find out you do not know much at all. Don't advertise where you went to school, show up early to your shift. Be professional, work for a good Chef. If He DOESNT bust your horns then he cares not about you. It's really easy to party In the business, stay away from It. Keep your nose In books on your free time and forget about relationships for now, they will hinder your performance. Good Day, Chris. I have time to work on all of my cars BTW.
      Nice to see you are hangin In there Aaron. Later
      Aaron

23. Member
      Vehicles
      06-16-2009 07:24 PM #773
      good call man, thanks!

Modified by LovetheA2s at 12:26 AM 6-17-2009

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      97 Jetta
      07-31-2009 10:49 PM #774
      I read this sucker from the beginning a few months back. Are there any new and exciting stories from the culinary world?

Vehicles
      1999 Passat V6, 2001 Passat wagon
      08-01-2009 10:59 PM #775
      I have only read a few pages, but did he ever disclose where he works? I don't know if he can, but I was just curious.

Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast