Thread: So I rotated into the P.M Grill Position

Vehicles
      81 Roc.79 911 SC Targa,Subie Legacy,BMW X1 M Package
      08-07-2009 07:27 AM #776
      Quote, originally posted by LovetheA2s »
      good call man, thanks!

Modified by LovetheA2s at 12:26 AM 6-17-2009

Aaron, you alive or what??? Chris.
      Beware the Arizona D-Bags, they know too much!!!!!! ... and Corvettes are over hyped American Junk, just so you know.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      A Wagon, A Jetta, Another Jetta and a 650cc Scooter
      08-09-2009 12:56 AM #777
      whats up everyone, Im crawling out of hibernation. No pics of work, but a few at home. I have recently been going to the restaurant store on days off and buying plates for home use. Its fun when you have more than 1 day off. I have realized , I have to cook at least 6 days a week. If i have a 5 day week at work, i will spend one of my days off cooking at home. So here we go:
      One night I just did 1 course:
      Fresh Maryland blue crab and corn chowder (yes picked by me) with toast points and trio of sauteed morel mushrooms

Following week, Seared oriental brined chicken with asian slaw and 5 spiced risotto:

Following Week, Crispy skinned striper with fried rice, pickled jerusalem artichoke and basil:

Couple weeks Later:
      5 Courses
      1st Course: homemade vietnamese spring roll with hoison

2nd: hand rolled pork spring roll with spicy sweet mustard

3rd: glazed eel and dynamite roll (bought)

4th:thai pork potstickers with beef broth, bok choy, water chestnuts, bamboo chutes, culanto, thai basil, serranos, bean sprouts, garlic tops, and enokis

5thessert was fried wontons with 10x sugar and rhubarb compote

Couple weeks later:
      4 Courses-
      1st: Tito and tonic with a splash of simple syrup and key limes

2nd course: A tasting of mushrooms. Flash seared enokis, and seared king trumpets with black and white truffle oils.

My girl brought home a head and foot terrine that she made at work, so i got rid of the oils and implemented the terrine, it was nice:

Seared nantucked bay scallops over white rice and snowpeas with ponzu:

Curried Chicken Breast over white rice, snow peas and key limes (yes i repeated garnish):

Last meal-
      1st Course, Crispy prosciutto and georgia peaches with ricotta salata, greens, and white balsamic shallot vinaigrette

2nd course, Lavender marniated pork tenderloin with oven roasted beby red bliss pots, georgia corn and green bean succotash with ginger and red onion, natural pork jus

Yeah, Chris, Im still Living. Barely, but I am making it. Hows life your way?

Vehicles
      Allroad/85 GTI
      08-09-2009 08:07 PM #778
      I really love the pics of this amazing looking food coupled with what is pretty obviously a bachelor pad Makes for a really cool experience for the person looking at the pics. Brings a sense of reality to fine cuisine. I dig it. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I have followed this thread from the very beginning, (as have others I'm sure ) Keep up the good work [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Remember when we used to put stuff here?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      08-10-2009 01:43 AM #779
      preciate it man. How have things been your way? havent heard from ya in a while

Vehicles
      Allroad/85 GTI
      08-10-2009 02:32 AM #780
      Not too bad, just finished a 63 hr work week so kinda tired. Glad to have work tho. Amazing how the food and service industries seem to survive in these times.

Vehicles
      Allroad/85 GTI
      08-10-2009 02:51 AM #781
      Here's a couple from my restaurant. Nothing fancy, just a nice little breakfast/fish&chips Burger joint.

Our biggest burger "the Powerhouse

Two 1/3 lb patties topped with bacon, mushroom, ham, onion ameriswiss and american cheese, lettuce and tomato with a homemade 1000 Island sauce and mayo on a hoagie.

Not quite the same, but good food none the less. hope to see more pics soon, your recipes are awesome and you have a great plate presentation.

7. 08-10-2009 11:12 AM #782
      Those scallops look incredible.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      08-10-2009 12:13 PM #783
      The powerhouse sounds like the meal to me! How are you guys' french dips? always a favorite of mine. Cool looking establishment. Is there anymore burner space other than that 4 burner?

Vehicles
      Allroad/85 GTI
      08-10-2009 01:04 PM #784
      No just the four, wish I had six for breakfast but it's a really small kitchen and I manage to bang out 150 to 200 meals a day with what I have.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      08-10-2009 05:06 PM #785
      pretty impressive, Well, I do what i have pictured above with my electric range at home

Vehicles
      Allroad/85 GTI
      08-10-2009 11:32 PM #786
      I do the same when I cook at home. I often go outside to utilize the propane burner on my bbq

12. 08-11-2009 03:02 AM #787
      Quote, originally posted by tstmstr »
      Here's a couple from my restaurant. Nothing fancy, just a nice little breakfast/fish&chips Burger joint.

Love it. Although I love learning and cooking rich, elaborate meals as far as work goes, my heart lies in the art of making simple food taste awesome.
      Love the A2s, I love the plating, especially that you are doing this at home.
      I got to cook for my grandparents at work today, which was fairly slow so I got to make them some special meals. Pea soup with mint cream and proscuitto, orange ginger glazed duck breast, blackened halibut with seared scallops in a newburg sauce, strawberry balsamic glazed potatoes, and crab cakes. They were quite impressed. My grandma says shes afraid to cook for me now, because it wont be up to my standards. She has no idea that no matter how much I learn, I will never surpass her cooking ability.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      08-11-2009 10:56 PM #788
      awesoe to hear that you are giving back to your family. I love going back to my parents' house on vacation and cooking for them. I took a suitcase of only plates (dead serious) just to use for dinner. I enjoy using different style plates that can bring out the best elements and geography of a vision in my head. I have an addiction, every day off, i end up buying plates. im running out of cabinet space. My parents are the ones responsible for me being in the industry. My dad is the chef there never was. and Im not talking home cook. Like, forreal have a fresher course in running a restaurant, the food talent is there plenty. One day, i will go into business with him. if he ever retires! haha, where is chris hanging out nowadays? calling chris!

14. 08-12-2009 11:43 AM #789
      Oh, I like the look of the Oriental Brine Chicken. What makes it "oriental"? Any certain spices?
      It sort of reminds me of this Chinese Salted Duck my gf made, she bought a duck. Then got out sea salt and flower peppers, and toasted them together till they were hot as hell, and made me pack them inside and all around the duck, and then wrap the duck in saran wrap, and into an air-tight container for three days.
      On day three we pulled it out, and she boiled it in a complex process of turning the heat on and off and moving the lid on and off at exact certain times. The end result, the best duck I have had since I lived in Japan.
      I was just curious how you make your brine chicken, I've been buying whole chickens and ducks lately, and am always looking for a new way to cook them. Also I'd love to try the 5 spice risotto. I have large bags of 5 spice powder I pick up at the Asian grocery all the time.

Oh yeah, I saved all the duck fat from the broth, and seared some potatoes in them, and they were fracking amazing! (Got the inspiration from Hot Doug's in Chicago of course).

Modified by watanabe2k at 8:45 AM 8-12-2009

Vehicles
      81 Roc.79 911 SC Targa,Subie Legacy,BMW X1 M Package
      08-13-2009 06:34 PM #790
      awesoe to hear that you are giving back to your family. I love going back to my parents' house on vacation and cooking for them. I took a suitcase of only plates (dead serious) just to use for dinner. I enjoy using different style plates that can bring out the best elements and geography of a vision in my head. I have an addiction, every day off, i end up buying plates. im running out of cabinet space. My parents are the ones responsible for me being in the industry. My dad is the chef there never was. and Im not talking home cook. Like, forreal have a fresher course in running a restaurant, the food talent is there plenty. One day, i will go into business with him. if he ever retires! haha, where is chris hanging out nowadays? calling chris!

Just got back from Vaca. In Kauai and Alaska. The 49/50 Trip!! Alot of killer food that I did not have to cook! Of the 700+cookbooks/Dictionaries/ Bla.Bla.Bla. I have nothing that touches West Indies Cuisine so I have been delving Into some of that because It Is fun and I can do It out on my grill without messing up my kitchen that I just renovated. Just came off a 13 hour day and I am pooped, getting old! Thirteen hours used to be where I was just getting started! Eff this business I am still In!! That's about where I have been. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Sometimes I am actually happy and not screaming at staff!
      Beware the Arizona D-Bags, they know too much!!!!!! ... and Corvettes are over hyped American Junk, just so you know.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2009 12:06 AM #791
      I will definitely hook you up with the oriental brine for the chicken. Its on my database at work right now. Ill have to get it to you tomorrow or monday afternoon. I know it contians mirepoix, water, sugar, juniper berries, cloves, hoison, honey, bayleaves, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and a few other ingredients. i will get you correct amounts. Its a 2 day brine, and cooking it on a smoker is prime. I also have a jack daniels glaze to baste it with when on the smoker that just makes it perfect. Ill get to you as soon as I can

17. Member
      Vehicles
      08-19-2009 02:29 AM #792
      frgot the recipe at work tonight again, damnit. But found out that i am competing in my first culinary competition next month. Things are going well. On the menu now is a wild boar chop with wild boar sausage, sauteed swiss chard, cannelini beans, with roasted corn, bianco mushrooms, and natural jus. Running a wild mushroom terrine with mushroom crisp, housemade cous cous, and olive oil emulsion. Tuna poke with avocado, tomato, sushi rice, marinated ****take mushrooms, miso sesame vinaigrette and mirin glaze. got in some harris ranch beef and kurobuta pork. This week has been nice for the menu. workin 6 days this week and practiced for the competition for 10 hours on my day off. Busy this way, thats for sure!

Vehicles
      Allroad/85 GTI
      08-22-2009 12:55 AM #793
      Haha, vortex censors ****ake.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      08-22-2009 01:34 AM #794
      I know right! I love mushrooms, and vortex can censor all they want! Im competing in my first culinary competition next month! Still havent forgot about the asian brined chix recipe. Just dragging ass on getting it home. addition of peppercorns. This week in the restaurant a la carte I am running a potato crusted halibut over a chantrelle, fava bean, corn and smoked tomato succotash with lemon confit. Also running grilled georgia peaches and prosciutto with arugula, evoo, and 25yr balsamic with sea salt and cracked black pepper. So nice!

Vehicles
      Allroad/85 GTI
      08-23-2009 01:18 AM #795
      Man, If I ever have a reason to go to Atlanta....I am def looking your ass up

Vehicles
      2004 .:R32
      08-23-2009 08:09 PM #796
      I know right! I love mushrooms, and vortex can censor all they want! Im competing in my first culinary competition next month! Still havent forgot about the asian brined chix recipe. Just dragging ass on getting it home. addition of peppercorns. This week in the restaurant a la carte I am running a potato crusted halibut over a chantrelle, fava bean, corn and smoked tomato succotash with lemon confit. Also running grilled georgia peaches and prosciutto with arugula, evoo, and 25yr balsamic with sea salt and cracked black pepper. So nice!

You sir, are one hard little bone! Those pics are drool material!
      Sent from my vwvortex account.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      08-25-2009 11:29 PM #797
      Quote, originally posted by watanabe2k »
      Oh, I like the look of the Oriental Brine Chicken. What makes it "oriental"? Any certain spices?

I was just curious how you make your brine chicken,
      Modified by watanabe2k at 8:45 AM 8-12-2009

Finally, told you Id deliver, I used it today on Duck breasts. Did it with a Lemongrass flavored Nashiki Sushi rice "risotto", sauteed spinach, baby carrots and a 5 spice Jus. So here Goes
      2 c mirepoix
      4 oz honey
      1 c Soy Sauce
      4 oz hoison
      1lb Brown sugar
      3 oz salt
      1 tsp ginger
      1 qt water
      3ea bay leaves
      1/2oz juniper berries
      1/2oz cloves
      1/2oz Blk Peppercorns
      5ea thyme sprigs
      1/4 bunch parsley sprigs
      Combine all and bring up to a boil, as soon as it hits a boil. Reduce and steep for 15 mins. Pour liquid into 1/2 gal ice water. Cool, and submerge product for 2 days. Pull out, smoke and cook. Enjoy
      Let me know if you try it, you wont regret it!
      Aaron

23. Member
      Vehicles
      09-01-2009 12:41 AM #798
      So Morel season isnt in until next march, we had lots of rain this past week, and my buddy and I went back to the "morel" spot with 2 other culinarians of our kitchen . No luck in regards to morels, figured we may have gotten lucky in the event of them popping up in the off-season. My buddy bought a mushroom guide and we got serious. Whats another fine specimine of the culinary world, that happens to be in season here in georgia right now????? golden chanterelles....
      Dirty:

Cleaned Up:

These were found 15 minutes outside of downtown Atlanta! Found about 2lb total in about an hour!
      Sorry for the amount of the pics , but you guys know how excited I get about my mushrooms!
      Hope all is well with everyone
      Aaron

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      09-01-2009 04:11 PM #799
      needs more pics of chanterelles
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      09-02-2009 01:18 AM #800

I happen to like my mushrooms, thank you

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast