Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast
    Results 1,086 to 1,120 of 1156

Thread: So I rotated into the P.M Grill Position

1. 05-03-2012 09:34 AM #1086
      Hot dang man - good to see some pics up from you again! Gotta love backyard fruit trees, our friends out there had 7 avocado trees in the backyard at their old place.

Awesome looking dishes. Your guys making cabeza there?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      A Wagon, A Jetta, Another Jetta and a 650cc Scooter
      05-03-2012 01:02 PM #1087
      main reason for the seafood is that there hasnt been a nightly changing beef, pork, or chicken entree special on the menu (as per previous chef that i replaced) . When I got here, i hit the ground running and was told not to shake things up to aggressively (menu wise) when i got in. So, i havent tampered with my current menu too much. This summer when we are slower i have a lot of homework to do, full new menu rollout, new kitchen orientation, implimentation of "new nightly features menu", reorganization of dry storage (for inventory purposes), walk in, and paper goods room. We also have to go through our posi touch system and update pricing, delete old menu items and such. It will be busy. But, i am looking forward to the progress. Thanks for the praises. The cow head was roasted in the oven, till completely tender, pulled and tacos were made for all. Salsa verde, picante, pico, chile de arbol and habeneros as well. They did it up. Best tounge tacos i have ever had. hands down

Hope all is well

Aaron
      Last edited by LovetheA2s; 05-03-2012 at 01:05 PM.

3. 05-21-2012 03:11 PM #1088
      I've been following this thread for a while now. Great stuff!
      Last edited by joness0154; 05-22-2012 at 06:56 AM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      07-24-2012 11:51 PM #1089
      Well Guys, I am on Vacation for a few weeks and have been enjoying some time off. It has been a blast. I have been to the beach in NC, Went to MD for the 4th of July, Went to Jersey for Waterfest and have cooked some good food along the way. I did do a dinner 2 weeks ago, 9 courses for 5 people with a pretty agressive menu. It was a fun challenge as I was the only one executing the prep, cookery, plating, and such. One of the ladies I was cooking for asked if she could help. She was a good help though. Dinner went off without a hitch and everyone had a very pleasant evening. Had some great wines as well.

Onto the menu and Pics:

Amuse
      Venison Pepperoni with Apple Chutney and Cheddar- Porcelin Spoon

1st
      Chilled Sparkling Cantaloupe Soup with essence of St. Germaine and Thai Basil- Stemless Wine Glasses

2nd
      Heirloom Tomato Salad with Oriental Cucumbers, Organic Cherry Tomatoes, Mozzarella Pearls, Balsamic Syrup and Good Olive Oil- Large Family Style Square plate

3rd
      Compressed Watermelon Salad with Crumbled Feta, Shaved Red Onion, Mache Greens, Sea Salt, Avocado
      (small square, or 10 inch round)

4th
      Ahi Tuna Poke with red onion, avocado, sesame, kalbi sauce, and Wonton Crisps
      (long white rounded boat)

5th
      Pan Seared Bacon Wrapped Scallop With Silken Cauliflower Puree, Pink Pickled Onion and Frisee
      (white rectangle)

6th
      Sous Vide, Truffle Scented Filet of Beef Oscar with Asparagus, Dave and Dees Mushrooms, Jumbo Lump Crabmeat , Sauce Béarnaise (large square)

7th
      Pan Seared Foie Gras “Creamsicle”- Orange Gastrique, Vanilla Oil, Toasted Brioche, Micros
      ( medium square )

8th
      Buttermilk Panna Cotta With Blueberry Coulis, Fresh Berries - Wine Glasses

5. Member
      Vehicles
      07-25-2012 12:04 AM #1090

and a few randoms, fishing, my buddy who i used to work with in ATL and His wife (when we cooked dinner at my parents place one night), and Garden Harvests:

Hope all is well with everyone. Take care guys

Aaron

Vehicles
      81 Roc.79 911 SC Targa,Subie Legacy,BMW X1 M Package
      07-25-2012 08:27 PM #1091
      Sweet. Where are you guys getting the Foie Gras from?? Hopefully Hudson Valley FG(In Ferndale) which Is like 45 min. from my house. Best In the US!! As usual all looks superb. What about you open up something In the Hudson Valley area and I come work for you?? Lots of stuff going on over here and lots of loot to be spent. You can get burnt ex chefs to work pretty cheap too!Good Luck Dude.
      Beware the Arizona D-Bags, they know too much!!!!!! ... and Corvettes are over hyped American Junk, just so you know.

7. 07-26-2012 10:21 AM #1092
      you had me at Ahi Poke, love that stuff

8. Member
      Vehicles
      08-11-2012 02:01 AM #1093
      Yes Chris, The foie was hudson Valley. 93 Bucks for a lobe of A. It was good good. The plate needed one more element I thought . Which I should have done a Vanilla sorbet, or vanilla fraiche for the top. I cant come up to New York, I dont have the talent you guys have up there man. Youll would send me home with my tail between my legs.

Hope all is well with everyone

Aaron

9. Member
      Vehicles
      08-15-2012 04:10 AM #1094
      So I was going through my pics tonight and realized that I never posted about one of my greatest culinary accomplishments. Head Cheese. I did this over a year ago, with a good friend at my old job. It turned out amazing, and i convinced many non food people to try the delight. With much praise. Not to mention that it was just plain, aesthetically beautiful (for what it is). I took a great recipe, put my own twist on it, refined some standards, and added some love. End result was a beautiful loaf of head cheese with brunoise applewood bacon added, bruniose mirepoix, extra garnish, and all the fun jazz that is in head cheese . Will definately do it again.

And the perfect Jellified Loaf of love:

All for now

Aaron

10. 08-24-2012 03:39 PM #1095
      probably the healthiest head cheese I've seen. Love that stuff.

Vehicles
      TDI Corrado & a Honda Refrig (Pilot)
      09-06-2012 11:13 PM #1096
      Checking in for future updates

12. Member
      Vehicles
      09-13-2012 08:00 PM #1097
      Welp, finally broke down and picked up some goat. I have never bought it before and was feeling ethnic cuisine. Curried Goat with jasmine rice. Turned out phenominal and was more than happy with the results.

Hope all is well, Take care guys

Aaron

Vehicles
      '91 964, '93 E34, '05 GTI
      09-15-2012 08:50 PM #1098
      Oh my that head cheese. Probably one of my favorite things to make with my Father.

Do you mind passing along the recipe?

Love this thread!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      09-16-2012 04:44 AM #1099
      Dinner, at a cabin in the mountains (8k feet up , Big Bear Mountain here in Cali), for a friend of mine as well as her friend. Kind of a shotgun menu on the fly. Outsourced entree, as i arrived late due to work and couldnt put out more than 2 courses with time given. Plus i drove home tonight as well ( 2 hr drive). Still had a great time, and it was nice to get into some 70 degree weather and just kick back. Entree was calzones from a local italian spot.

One...... heirloom tomato, mozz, and basil salad with bibb and cuke (balsamic dressing)

Two.......proscuitto and canteloupe with watercress, avocado, oilive oil and cracked black pepper

And Jager, the recipe was nothing spectacular. Cleaned the head, split it, removed the brains, and soaked in a saline solution overnight with 1 lemon squeezed and hulls added. Then Cooked the head in a double chicken stock in the morning with mirepoix, trotters, garlic, thyme, shallots, love and such. Pull head out, strain, reduce braising liquid, add a lil gelatin (i didnt have enough trotter gelatin extract), pick/pull and shread all pork meat, cheeks, and all, i also used some shoulder chunks that I had in the kitchen. Semi frozen applewood bacon, bruniose dice as well as mirepoix brunoise. Sweat that out until bacon is cooked and garnish is tender, add fine chopped thyme and parsley to finish. Fold in to meat and add braising liquid, sea salt and cracked black pepper to finish. Let set up in a half hotel pan overnight. Skim fat off of top in the morning. Use a creme brulee torch to free the bottom from the pan, and invert onto cutting board. Slice down, club or saltine crackers and malt vinegar if you want. This recipe needed nothing. but you can always use rooster sauce on your cracker if ya need

Aaron

15. Member
      Vehicles
      09-20-2012 07:46 PM #1100
      My roommate and I went to Korea town in LA 2 days ago for some Korean BBQ. There is a place which was recommended to us. Apparently it is rated the best Korean in LA. It was really really good food. Parks BBQ is the name. If anyone lives in the LA area or plans to visit. I recommend it highly.

Whats new with everyone these days?

Aaron

16. Member
      Vehicles
      10-18-2012 02:15 AM #1101
      So, my restaurant is back in full swing. Having a tiresome week. 4 Days and counting of 6am to 11pm is really wearing me down. I feel like a zombie, and it will be open 7 days a week until november 7th. Im just burning at both ends. One of THE most challenging times in my career. Feel as if im going a lil crazy. Gotta hit the bed for 5 hrs, and back at it. . Any "hang in there's " would be appreciated. Thanks

Aaron

P.S Any pics of some food from you guys to cheer me up?

Vehicles
      TDI Corrado & a Honda Refrig (Pilot)
      10-18-2012 06:17 AM #1102
      Hang in there

18. Member
      Vehicles
      10-22-2012 04:30 AM #1103
      Ok, so have a few pictures to update the thread. So swamped at work currently and not much to post food wise. I finally broke th bank, pulled my unicorn fund and cashed in. On a chef's salary, kinda hard to justify . But, its been in the works for a few years and i was hunting pretty hard for about 4 months. Drove 4 hours to pick it up in Arizona. I present to you the unicorn:

P/O saved me the trouble, thank you P/O:

H&R's

Missing the MK2 right now and wish i had it here on the west coast:

Its in storage for the moment, waiting on these to go on:

Only got offered 2k for the GLX from the stealership , politely said (errrr NO)
      130k, new timing chains, and overall great car. Its the daily now.

Received some capital budget and got a few upgrades at work:

1 Traulson Fish file (not pictured)
      1 Irinox Quick Chill Unit
      2 Double Stack Eloma Combi Ovens (computer programmable)
      6 Hydroponic living towers to raise all organic mocros, salad greens, arugula, tomatoes, you name it......
      2 new boose blocks
      and about to get a new 8x10 unit for out back. I am so STOKED! I need room!

onto the madness:

The babies:

My garden on the patio:

Random Late night dinner at the house / we were bored, broiled prime filet with sauteed spinach and roasted garlic/mushroom sauce:

My new spot in the desert:

Time to hit the bed,

Aaron
      Last edited by LovetheA2s; 10-22-2012 at 04:34 AM.

Vehicles
      a van
      10-22-2012 08:41 AM #1104
      Congrats on the unicorn! Actually was also looking at a B7 avant titanium way back before I went for my GTI...

Also congrats on your new resto! sounds like it's going to be some crazy times, but I'm sure it'll be worth it once you're past the crazy period. The new equipment should hopefully help sort out the kitchen madness.

Since you ask about food pics from us, I'll put up stuff that I didn't cook and photobomb your thread ... went to the Food Network Festival in NYC last weekend and attended the sushi karaoke party hosted by Chef Morimoto:

this was Ming Tsai's crew prepping a hamachi plate that is seared off with hot oil

this was an interesting dish by a local chef that used eucalyptus (restaurant's namesake) in the garnish on top of the fish, really fresh flavors

simple anchovies and peppers in oil

sushi zen crew, they made some incredible nigiri with japanese ingredients - fluke, sudachi, salt, and horseradish

forget which fish this was, in a tropical-style fruity sauce with micro greens on top

seafood salad

local restaurant's in-house specialty roll - really really good, stands out from most other rolls i've ever had

oyster with sea urchin foam

chef morimoto's pastry chef did up these yuzu custard chocolate cups and mango mousse with passion seeds and baby kiwi

Harvard Club's exec chef did up these really nice pastries

me with robert irvine

bad shot, but Morimoto, Irvine, and Andrew Zimmern doing some karaoke

Ming, Guy Fieri, and Morimoto hanging out after Guy shows up late

Guy and Morimoto serving up tako to the crowd

Chris Cosentino, Adam Richman, me, and Adam's friend

twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      10-24-2012 12:33 AM #1105
      holy awesomeness. Looks like a great show! Would love to meet morimoto and ming especially.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      10-24-2012 12:58 AM #1106
      holy awesomeness. Looks like a great show! Would love to meet morimoto and ming especially. Nice pics btw.

Aaron

22. 11-17-2012 08:21 AM #1107
      Quote Originally Posted by LovetheA2s View Post
      So, my restaurant is back in full swing. Having a tiresome week. 4 Days and counting of 6am to 11pm is really wearing me down. I feel like a zombie, and it will be open 7 days a week until november 7th. Im just burning at both ends. One of THE most challenging times in my career. Feel as if im going a lil crazy. Gotta hit the bed for 5 hrs, and back at it. . Any "hang in there's " would be appreciated. Thanks

Aaron

P.S Any pics of some food from you guys to cheer me up?
      Hang in there dude! In my opinion you've got a great thing going.

Vehicles
      2006 Škoda Octavia
      11-17-2012 09:12 AM #1108
      evosky, what camera was used to take those pics?

24. Member
      Vehicles
      11-18-2012 03:08 AM #1109
      Quote Originally Posted by joness0154 View Post
      Hang in there dude! In my opinion you've got a great thing going.

I appreciate the thoughts man, when does the fam get back in town? Its gorgeous here. Let me know! I gotcha!

Aaron

25. Member
      Vehicles
      12-20-2012 04:39 AM #1110
      Time to drop a few pictures:

Garden is doing very well:

More to come, Whats new with everyone?

Aaron

26. Member
      Vehicles
      12-20-2012 05:06 AM #1111

Harvests:

The New Crop:

Plate including harvests:

Crop Rotation:

Our Rep was at the club, and was taking pics to put on their website for promos. I got roped in to a shoot.

Aaron

27. 01-03-2013 09:23 AM #1112
      good god that looks awesome.

Vehicles
      a van
      01-03-2013 09:28 AM #1113
      Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post
      evosky, what camera was used to take those pics?
      Nikon D7000 w/ standard 18-200mm - post processed with Lightroom

lots of pictures of veg
      dude, those greens look amazing! must be like heaven to be able to use fresh produce like that
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      01-05-2013 03:42 AM #1114
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      dude, those greens look amazing! must be like heaven to be able to use fresh produce like that

It really is, I am actually growing some amazing greens, and using them from seedling to plate. They are fun, a bit time consuming when i am so busy with the day to day routine. There is a heck of a system setup (more than what you just see, the towers) . It is fed with nutrient rich water that has a dispenser that disperses a certain PPM of nutrients to the water, not to mention a constant water level monitoring system, and waters them every 15 minutes on a timed system. You can also set them up on a solar panel system. I am no tree hugger by any means, but its fun to be exposed to this.

On a side note, being buried with work. Ive managed to make a bit of progress on the new rig.
      I said i would leave it alone, but i couldnt. I think im done,,,,,,,

Hope all is well with everyone. Been getting a whooping lately. But, its all good . Thanks for the compliments. I cant take credit for that crabcake special, its a pull from tommy bahamas menu. My lead cook has a second job there, and i picked his brain. It sold out, 16 orders all day. Good quick special on the fly.

Take care guys,

Aaron

30. Member
      Vehicles
      02-11-2013 05:01 AM #1115
      Whats new with everyone? Busy busy here, new menu rolled out and we are in full swing. Lots of new stuff.

New Pics of Stuff.......

Garden is good:

Backyard goodies:

A morning treat, fresh squeezed OJ, Ruby Red GF, and lemons for lemonade for lunch:

Transportation:

More to come soon, Just hosted a CMC dinner at our new Club.

Aaron
      Last edited by LovetheA2s; 02-11-2013 at 05:19 AM.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      06-15-2013 03:59 PM #1116
      New Stuff, Season has wound down and i have gotten some time off. Went to vegas for the first time, my roommate had his bachelor party and we had a good time. Dinner at the bellagio, dinner at Japonai (chefs table), and stayed at the mgm. It was good times. Next, we had our end of the season party at the soccer field, and got a 40lb pig to do in the Caja China. Turned out great. Traditional beans, rice, flour tortillas, spicy salsa, guacamole, pico. Yesterday, went to a ranch on the outskirts of town with my lead line cook (for his birthday), picked out a 300lb pig , slaughtered, broke down, brought home and today is the grande fiesta. Im pretty excited. Last night was kareoke music and lots of beer. Today should be the same, with lots more food and such:

Onto the pics:

End of season party:

Medjool dates:

At the Pig Ranch:

Last edited by LovetheA2s; 06-15-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Vehicles
      a van
      06-25-2013 04:15 PM #1117
      Dang, I've always wanted to be part of a full-pig roast! Looks like a fun time!

33. 07-23-2013 03:36 PM #1118
      Posting this up in honor of the mushroom hunting earlier in the thread. Chanterelles are exploding in the south. Made some awesome duxelles on Aaron's recommendation with some of it. Some will make it onto roman style pizzas this weekend on the grill.

chanterelles by angryshortbloke, on Flickr

Vehicles
      a van
      07-30-2013 08:16 AM #1119
      ^ Those chanterelles look awesome. Send some up North!

Aaron - in your opinion, what are some staple dishes or prepped ingredients (like stock) that every good home cook should be able to make?

35. Member
      Vehicles
      09-09-2013 11:24 PM #1120
      I will agree that having a fair amount of chicken stock on hand is always a good thing. If you ever have leftover white rice when you order chinese food, freeze it. Makes for perfect fried rice. Always good to have flour , sugar, eggs, milk, oil, tomato paste, siracha, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, cornstarch, bacon, bacon fat, if your feeling frisky get some beef bones, or veal bones roast them off and make demi glace. Thats a great staple. I keep stock around, because the ol lady and myself are suckers for chicken noodle soup. That and homemade salsa are staples in our house.

Aaron

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast