Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: So I rotated into the P.M Grill Position

1. 08-14-2006 02:08 PM #141
      Good luck, and we will wait for the updates. Also congrats on getting close up! The more things you have the experience of doing, the better!

Vehicles
      '13 JSW 6spM
      08-15-2006 06:56 PM #142
      I have to say I love your nightly updates... I love reading this sort of thing- I wish I had the patience to work in a restraunt!

Going back to the Bourbon Maple glaze... You should try this on turkey. I basted my Thanksgiving turkey with Grade B maple syrup last year. It didn't burn, but was a nice golden brown. It wasn't overly sweet, it was rather buttery, actually. The Grade B made *such* a difference though. It is definitely a lot thicker and more intense than a Grade A Amber or the like.

Keep the updates coming!

-JenniD-

3. Member
      Vehicles
      A Wagon, A Jetta, Another Jetta and a 650cc Scooter
      08-26-2006 01:46 AM #143
      ok guys, back in the saddle. I have to take a minute to give thanks to a good friend here on the tex who has helped me out and gotten me through a few of my delimmas. He was able to VAG my car for me and diagnose the prob with that. Worked on my computer and got me squared away. Will, thanks for everything buddy, your a life saver.

As far as the culinary scene. Its been crazy busy, I pulled 2 doubles last week and a 6:30am-11:30 pm shift on tuesday. Tonight was cool, we had 45 on the books lastnight. Came in and had 89. We got hit between 7:30 and 9. The busy season is coming up and we are going to have 90+ reservations nightly. Ill hit up an update tomorrow. I know this one isnt interesting, but its been a long day. Just wanted to let you guys know that im BACKKKKKK

4. 08-26-2006 01:59 AM #144
      good stuff.......i look forward to updates

5. 08-26-2006 11:24 AM #145
      Everyone for Will! It's good to see VW guys acting like VW guys!

Love this thread man, I was sad when it was slowing down. Good to see you're rolling again! I've only recently gained an affinity for things culinary. I'll never be able to work restraunt, but I love hearing the insight. Keep sharing!

6. 08-27-2006 01:53 AM #146
      wow cool to see some other culinarians. never would i have thought on vortex to see a f and b forum. Good to see the zeal these other guys have for food. Reminds me of working in private country clubs. Now Souing at a Hotel. Read this while waiting for dinner to begin in the dining room toinght so I let my banquet guys run them by themselves and jumped on the line to plate and expo because I haven't in a while. definitely miss Haute cuisine these guys get to do though. Keep this thread going it is definitely awesome to read.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      08-27-2006 04:53 AM #147
      Tonight was an interesting night. We had 95 on the books when I went in and it was climbing. Ended up doing over 130 when it was all said and done. The CMC was on expo and boy was it a smooth night. It was busy. But, all went very well. We had John dory, Aussie Suzuki Sea bass, Kona Kampachi, and Okapakapaka (sp) for the fish specials. Really nice product. I had a good time. We had a visiting chef from a country club in dallas here this week. He did a mystery basket 2 days ago and has been helping us out on the line. Just to get a feel of how our operation works. He has taken over 150 pictures on his camera. Hopefully he will send us the pics and I can get them up here for you guys. I have a few new pics as well that Id like to post . and oh yeah, 18th of september is our annual CMC dinner at our club. If any of you culinarians are in the atlanta area and want to volunteer a day's time to work with 8 cmcs and to do some culinary networking and see some bad azz stuff go on , please send me an im. We might be able to arrange it up. When this dinner goes down, ill have many pics to share and it will liven this thread up quite a bit. Later guys

8. Member
      Vehicles
      08-27-2006 05:03 AM #148
      Since I know you guys love pics:

A little burn I recieved the other night. 350*F OIL down the arm from rendering lamb bones in the oven for demi glace:

Enjoy!

9. Member
      Vehicles
      08-27-2006 05:04 AM #149
      oh yeah , thats after 2 days of healing !

10. 08-27-2006 09:02 PM #150
      ughh...thats ugly man.

Most of my burns are from 350* oil as well.....Did you treat it right away? I ask because i usually find myself just wiping the oil off with a towel. Expecially if I'm knee deep in weeds

11. Member
      Vehicles
      08-27-2006 10:11 PM #151
      funny that you mention that. i usually wipe it off and roll with it. But, I did take a gauze bandage, some asparagus rubber bands and burn gel to fix it up. We didnt have any tape in the emergengy kit. I only did that so it wouldnt blister real bad. It was on my right arm, and that is the arm that I use over the wood fire and the salamander. You know how heat is to burnt skin...........

12. 08-28-2006 02:43 PM #152
      Ouch, looks damn painful!

13. Member
      Vehicles
      08-30-2006 02:06 AM #153
      Tonight was pretty cool. We had 66 on the books. We are running sauteed foie gras with braised pork belly and balsamic reduction. For wine dinner we had BBQ spiced oysters on gaufrette potatoes with tortilla slaw (julienned cabbage, red onion, fried tortillas, brunoise jalapeno, rice wine vinegar, and cilantro leaves), , 2nd course was andioulle and poblano salsa with cornmeal pancakes. Third course was beef short rib osso bucco, with spicy risotto (not sure of the flavoring, some kind of southwestern dry rub that was made in house) sauteed spinach, and baby carrots with veal demi glace. Ourexec sous chef was out sick today and the CMC was on Expo. Boy did everything come out perfect tonight. Generally it does, but tonight there were almost no flaws. I had my station in ship shape. I was comfortable. I cant wait till we start getting super busy again.

14. 09-01-2006 03:35 PM #154
      You ever peek /post on egullet?
      Might want to keep an aloe plant on the back stoop for the burns!
      Keep the good stuff comin'
      Jorge

15. Member
      Vehicles
      09-02-2006 01:43 AM #155
      Ok guys, I have a good post tonight. Its a bit of a rant/ experience that I really want to share with you. On friday nights we have gotten into this cool thing of doing a "Friday night Fish special" This includes 4 of the wildest fish our purveyor/our chefs can come up with and get in. Tonight it was Pink Porgy, Triggerfish, Softshell Crabs (yeah i know they are pretty plain), and Tautog. But, We got the whole fishes in and I had the pleasure of breaking them all down.. Well guys, if you EVER get the chance and have enough balls to do so; break down a whole triggerfish. These things are the biggest pain in the butt to butcher. The skin is so hard, you have to use a heavy blade with the sharpest tip just to be able to pierce the skin. There are no scales, as where the skin feels like 800 grit sandpaper. I had my santoku, boning, filet knives as well as my clever out. I am ashamed to admit this, but it literally took me about 20 minutes to clean 3 of these guys. I called the CMC over to give me a demo after I completed the first one. He looked at my final product from the first fish and said. "your doing good, keep doing them like that" . I fear the evisceration and butchering of no fish ver again. He looked at me and said, Ok next week we will get in a full Opah for you. I said "bring it on chef". Tonight went good. But, we only had 20 on the books. Im assuming its due to everyone being out of town with their families and so fourth. Tomorrow we have 28 on the books. Today was a good sighting for cars parked outside of the our club. There was a White caymen, a black carrera 4s, an A8, a modena, 3 745i's, an a6, an s550 and 2 range rovers. I saw 2 of our members checking out the carrera and I walked up and was like "ahhhh, these are too slow" after talking to the guy for a minute, I found out that he has an audi. He was like, you want to buy an audi. I was like, is it an S4-6--8,,,,,,,, it was just an a6. He later told me that it had codes pop up on it frequently. I told him to get the Vag com system. He copied down the info and was very interested. So, another sale for Ross-tech via word of mouth. Anyone here know the cheapest place to get a new pair of birki pros?

16. Member
      Vehicles
      09-02-2006 01:55 AM #156
      Oh yeah, In case you guys arent sure what theae bad boys look like, triggerfish that is:

17. 09-02-2006 04:56 PM #157
      Simplest way to skin 'em:
      Cut a little notch where the tail meets the body, grab the flap of skin you just cut free with pliers and peel the whole skin off. Mighty tasty though!
      HTH
      Jorge

18. Member
      Vehicles
      09-03-2006 02:53 AM #158
      I can tell you that doing the plier technique on a dover sole is no problem beause they have a flexible skin. As where the triggerfish has a pretty good ant thick skin. I am not sure whether the plier technique would work, but Ill give it a shot next time if you say it works.Ill give it a shot, but who knows. Next week Im getting in Opah as well as Dungeness crabs!

Vehicles
      Civic
      09-03-2006 11:17 AM #159
      A sawzall will cure your problem in a messy yet entertaining way. What kind of flavor does a trigger fish actually have. I've never even thought about eating one.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      09-03-2006 01:52 PM #160
      We actually sauteed one up lastnight and I tasted it. Im not a big fish eater when i go out. But, I could compare the texture to a steak. It has an swesome texture, not flaky, firm enough for any cooking technique. Its kinda hard to explain. Best texture of any kind for a fish. It is awesome. Ranks in my top 5 favorite fish. (if i had to eat fish) I would probably choose triggerfish over a steak now, if i see it on the menu at a restaurant

Vehicles
      Civic
      09-03-2006 02:16 PM #161
      Really? I'll have to give it a try. I'm not a big fish eater either. I lived in the Florida Keys as a child and I could handle fresh snapper, grouper or mahi-mahi on the grill but that was it.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      09-06-2006 01:11 AM #162
      Our Chefs are preparing for a competition tomorrow at work in the morning. The name of the competition is the "Orlando super challange". Top prize is like 15k and a new kombi oven. They won it a few years ago and got a new kombi. I sure wish they were giving away a blast chiller. We sure need another one of them. . They have some wild ideas in store. Week after next is our Certified Master Chef dinner and i will probably have many many many pics for you guys to enjoy. Remember guys, these are the top culinarians in the U.S. So you are in for a treat

Vehicles
      Civic
      09-06-2006 01:16 AM #163
      Sweet, I look forward to it

24. Member
      Vehicles
      09-08-2006 01:51 AM #164
      Ok guys, Tomorrow is friday night fish specials. So we are looking at Arcadian red fish, Cobia (which we got in fresh today that I butchered down , H, something Tuna, its a Full sushi grade, Blue marlin, Spotted Georgia trout, bay scallops and we were supposed to get barramundi, but they didnt have it. hmmmmmm...... But, i had fun breaking down the cobia.

25. 09-08-2006 10:30 AM #165
      Great stuff ! Keep it comin'

26. 09-13-2006 11:52 PM #166
      Quote, originally posted by LovetheA2s »
      Our Chefs are preparing for a competition tomorrow at work in the morning. The name of the competition is the "Orlando super challange". Top prize is like 15k and a new kombi oven. They won it a few years ago and got a new kombi. I sure wish they were giving away a blast chiller. We sure need another one of them. . They have some wild ideas in store. Week after next is our Certified Master Chef dinner and i will probably have many many many pics for you guys to enjoy. Remember guys, these are the top culinarians in the U.S. So you are in for a treat

Looking forward to pics!

27. Member
      Vehicles
      09-14-2006 03:07 AM #167
      Well guys, our team placed a shear second to another team headed up by another cmc who apprenticed under my CMC. Wild huh? The separation between 1st and second was a mere tenth of a point. Our pastry chef recieved a perfect score on her dessert. No flaws whatsoever. Very impressive. She beat her mentor!!! Also they took home a gold metal, not first place over all but did take home a gold for something.

Tonight was great/ Our chef had to kinda buckle down on the line as now is the time in which we are starting to get into the busy season. He told us that we cant be messing around anymore. We need to be fully prepped by 6pm. EVERYTHING!!!! a few of our guys have been missing a few of their products (mise en place) and dont realize it until they get an order for the item. Its a bad feeling. Ive been there before, but not now. I write my mise en place list at home and am ready when i go in. We still have a pretty "green" line and are at a crucial time in which we need to be perfect. Tonight we onl had like 35. Most of the orders were off of the grill. Tonight I ran sea bss, corvina, salmon, and red snapper. Ill find out tomorrow what we have coming in for FRI night fish specials. . I hope you guys are still interested, cause I still have more to share. Kinda seems like some of my followers have died off....... I hope there is still interest. Ill be more than happy to keep it going. Where are the other fellow chefs???

28. 09-14-2006 08:51 AM #168
      Tourist season's kicking into gear down here too, lots of yellow tags and blue hair. Headed up to Bern's inTampa for some uber-steak.
      How the *(^*(^^^%^$## do they split hairs so fine in those competitions? What were the compettiton dishes?
      peace
      Jorge

29. 09-14-2006 01:36 PM #169
      keep em' coming

30. 09-14-2006 04:51 PM #170
      Keep it up man! Love the updates! Wish i could chef in a resturant. I hope to get there someday. Thanks for the knowledge and pics!

-Alan

31. Member
      Vehicles
      09-20-2006 04:56 AM #171
      As promised, CMC Dinner pics Guys:

A little Action in the Kitchen:

Menu Meeting:

The man that I worked with for 2 day s straight, CMC Fritz Gitschner:

Chef Nishiyama's Completely Edible Centerpiece for the CMC dinner:

Chef Helmut Holzer CMC, Veal loin filler with rock lobster tail with boudin of sweetbread, sauteed vegetables, sauce american foam, and glace de veau:

The entree that I cooked and put together presented by chef Frits Gitschner, Petit "sous vide" Veal steak laced with truffled porcini mushroom sauce on artichoke croquette, with kholrabi, oven dried tomatoes and veal demi glace

Random shot at plateup:

Foie Gras and Pineapple Salad: (tossed with sweet, bitter greens, fresh pineapple and mango. Served with foie gras terrine, pineapple canape, dried pineapple chip, and mango coulis: Presented by Chef Thomas Griffiths (CIA Instructor, hell of a guy)

Again:

Alaskan King Crab Charlotte with sweet corn fritter, green asparagus and gitrus-grain mustard remoulade: (presented by Chef Russel Scott, fellow JWU grad and CMC)

Warm Pumpkin and Parsnip Vichysoisse with basil chive Creme Fraiche profiterole: (presented by Chef Dale Miller CMC, amazing guy, so cool)

Duck Confit Terrine with Corn Custard and Caviar, atrichoke and tomato crostini, micro greens and fresh figs: (presented by chef Jack Shoop CMC, This is the coolest CMC with the greatest attitude I have ever met, happened to be the oldest out of the bunch too, he took the CMC exam in 1982!

Study In Milk Chocolate by our own Pastry Chef of the Club, Heather Hurlbert: (milk chocolate spongecake with milk chocolate cream, Chai tea ice cream, and milk chocolate croquant) she will be a CMPC in 2 years, i can promise you that:

Tellagio fondue in a Crispy Pot, served with a reasted cherry and red bartlette pear bar, Sopressata and sweet garlic sandwich with savory black pepper biscotti: (presented by Chef Stephen Giunta CMC, didnt work with him, but he was here last year as well:

My Veal Loin "sous Vide" Station : Not to go over 140 and not to go under 135:

The Product:

My co-worker/buddy marcos, great guy:

Co-workers Martin adn Tony:

(good guys)

The A team:

Our Pub (casual dining lead line man) Marcos to the Right, to the left of him is our Executive Sous Chef Jeff, (one of the greatest chef's that I have ever worked for as well as a hell of a friend), to the left of him is our Pub Chef, Chef Lynn, another Great Guy and a hell of a friend, to the left of him is Myself, the Grill guy in fine dining A la carte

We had wine dinner tonight and i snapped some pics for you guys since I know You like em:

First Course:

Charlotte of Escargots with Herbs Fines Sauce:

Second Course:

Pan Seared Scallop with Creamed Leeks, parsnips, and apple ciader, beurre blanc:

Third Course:

Roasted Rack of Lamb iwth Olive and Herb whipped potatoes, arugula, Baby Carrots, and Balsamic Lamb Jus:

Fourth Course:

Roasted Figs over Sour Cream Ice Cream, Walnut Praline:

Ok Guys, Hope You Enjoy the Update, I promised something Good, and now you have it, so I BETTER get some feedback, . thanks guys, take care

Aaron

32. 09-20-2006 06:01 AM #172
      WOW! Lots of truly awesome dishes in there! Working with so many CMC's must have been a great experience. Thank you for the plethora of pics and explanations.

-Alan

33. 09-20-2006 11:54 AM #173

wow, as if this wasnt the best thread in the Food & Bev. forum already!

Everything looked great. Awesome post

34. 09-20-2006 12:03 PM #174
      I'm gonna have to save up a little money and go here. wow, this looks delish.

35. 09-20-2006 01:07 PM #175
      really brilliant work...

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast