Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Semi-Clogged Toilet?

1. 05-16-2006 09:06 AM #1
      Searched but didn’t find anything 100% applicable to my dilemma. A few days ago, I clogged my toilet. Hindsight being 20/20, maybe I should have performed an intermediate flush. Anyways, I cleared it with a plunger and everything seemed fine… until the following day. The following problem now exists.

Flush the toilet and it sounds like it flushes fine but only 50% of the bowl water flushes. It then adds the new water filling the bowl to about a ½ inch below the lower edge of the rim. Tried to use the plunger again to no avail. Walked away. The weird part is that the bowl slowly drains over the course of 6-8 hours to a level below the normal water level. I have now replicated this 2-3 times over the past couple days. Inspected the tank and everything in there looks good to go.

Figuring there was a partial clog, I went in search of magical chemicals but soon discovered that Drano/Liquid Plumber is not to be used in toilets. Only thing I can think is that it will degrade the wax ring. Can anybody confirm this?

Next plan is to buy a “snake” and see if I can’t free up the flow a bit. Does this sound like a partially clogged toilet? Any other advice?

TIA

Vehicles
      03 a4 1.8t avant
      05-16-2006 09:25 AM #2
      Sounds like it's still clogged. Plunge away my good man.

3. 05-16-2006 11:11 AM #3
      Maybe I'm thinking this is more complicated than it seems, but why exactly do toilets clog?

Or maybe a better question is what commonly causes them to clog, and why are some toilets more prone to it than others?

Vehicles
      2013 BMW X5 35d; 2008 Mazda CX9
      05-16-2006 04:57 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by 13minutes »
      Maybe I'm thinking this is more complicated than it seems, but why exactly do toilets clog?

Or maybe a better question is what commonly causes them to clog, and why are some toilets more prone to it than others?

Combination of solid waste and toilet paper gets caught in the drain or, if not visible, the u-bend of the toilet. Solid poop isn't always very flexible and sometimes it piles up in the drain (together with toilet paper) in a manner that gets it to stick. And in some toilets the flush velocity just isn't strong enough to shove the waste through or break up waste that's sticking.

Some toilets, for instance, don't have the extra push of water shooting out from the bottom of a bowl -- those clog regularly. Some toilets don't have wide enough drain holes -- trying to push waste through a smaller drain = clog. Some toilets have poorly designed u-bends.

And then there's operator causes-- either the massive-steak-dinner effect, the box-of-bran-for-breakfast effect, or the messy-event-requiring-lots-of-TP event.

Caretaker of the National Strategic Beer Reserve

5. Banned
      05-16-2006 07:43 PM #5
      use a toilet auger, and dont used drain-o

6. 05-16-2006 09:04 PM #6
      GO easy on the fiber.......

Get a snake, that should clear the blockage, unless it is lower in the system.

Good luck

7. 05-17-2006 08:41 AM #7
      Not going to use the drano... but why exactly can't you use stuff like that in toilets? Does it have anything to do with the wax ring? I'm just curious at this point.

Bought an auger last night. Got it past the initial lower U bend but couldn't get it to go past the upper U bend (too tight of a turn?). Also tried the plunger again. Problem not any better. Really stumped right now. Might try the auger again tonight.

8. Member
      05-17-2006 12:29 PM #8
      See if you can rent an Air Ram from Home Depot or someplace....I have also seen an air ram in a can..It shoots compressed air to clean out clogs...

9. 05-17-2006 12:48 PM #9
      plunge while the water is at it's approximate full level in the bowl (remember putting the plunger in will displace water )
      then plunge until the water drains with a gurgle at the end. should be fine thereafter. typical with low volume flush toilets today.

10. 05-17-2006 01:25 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by DavidMarc »
      plunge until the water drains with a gurgle at the end.

That's the theory... however, I have plunged the crap out of this toilet (not literally, of course, because it's still clogged). Pretty sure I'm going to have to step it up a notch to defeat this particularly stubborn poo (or whatever it is ).

Was actually thinking about using compressed air last night. Knowing that something is commercially made sounds much easier than my series of thoughts on how to rig something up. Will have to look into that.

Good news is that I have a second bathroom.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      05-17-2006 03:23 PM #11
      I bought at Lowe's a plunger that builds up compressed air like a pump - works like a charm but I recommend gloves and a bandana.

Your next choice is to pull the toilet and see if there's something more solid than paper and poo there.

Vehicles
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      05-17-2006 06:28 PM #12
      This thread is worthless without pics
      Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon

13. 05-18-2006 08:00 AM #13

While searching for info regarding compressed air devices, I came across the following:

http://www.dailyping.com/archive/2001/04/17

I tried the hot water in the bucket method and plunged like a champ for another 3-4 minutes... and voila! Flushing like it's brand new again!!

Check out the link... some of the replies are hilarious.

Edit: Thanks for the help everyone.

Modified by Schloss at 8:02 AM 5-18-2006

14. Member
      Vehicles
      69 LeMans conv; 12 BMW 328i; 12 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
      05-18-2006 09:01 AM #14
      Put a couple of good squirts of Diswashing Liquid (like Palmolive) down the toilet, then plunge. I'll lube the pipes and start the flow.

15. 05-18-2006 10:05 AM #15
      Dishwashing liquid?!! I envision a sudsy mess after aggitating the water/soap mix with the plunger. That might be interesting, albeit messy.

As far as lubing the pipes... I don't know. However, the soap would decrease the surface tension of the water. This might help the water soak into/penetrate further into some dense poo. Poor man's water wetter.

16. Banned
      05-22-2006 01:04 PM #16
      you have no idea how afraid I was to click on this thread. I saw it had a picture and was like..should I?

05-22-2006 01:43 PM #17
      Take a bucket of water, and pour it into the bowl......you have to time it right to get the flow going through the pipe. My grandfather showed me this a few years ago.

18. 05-22-2006 07:16 PM #18
      You know what works for me is a huge pot of boiling hot water. I've had 100% success rate. What also works are those accordian type plungers. I felt lazy one day and decided to do the hot water trick and it actually worked!

05-22-2006 11:08 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by daredvl2b »
      You know what works for me is a huge pot of boiling hot water.

Boiling? I'd be worried about cracking the toilet or any cast iron fittings.

We had these stupid low-flush toilets at work... man, I was plugging that thing at least once a week. Then they replaced them with new low-flush units that propel the water at like 100 miles an hour through that lower hole... problem solved Although I did plug it once last week... all it took was a second high-power flush to blast that bad boy through

Modified by F1_Fan at 8:11 PM 5-22-2006

There's always money in the banana stand.

20. 05-24-2006 02:11 PM #20
      OK. I had the same situation. Unclogging the toilet (with plunger and a snake) and it clogeed again then slowly draining by itself.

I found that the blue disk my wife used in the tank didn't disolve but just turned into a HUGE blob\snot like of mess.

So I unclogged the comode one more time with the snake.
      Emptied the tank and vacuumed the glob inside the tank (nasty)

Have not had a problem since then. I guess the combination of waste\paper and that substance was making it hard for the toilet to swallow.

Good luck downloading

Modified by ToNe at 11:13 AM 5-24-2006

Vehicles
      a thumper and a diesel wagon...
      05-24-2006 03:37 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by dailyping »
      sorry folks but the ol "little kids hand down the toilet and tell him you lost hist favorite GI Joe" has worked for me in the past when he realizes it isnt a toy hand him a pop and run thanks!

“Supermoto bikes exist so that 40 year old men who know better can act like total a--holes.”

"Crossfit is the meatspin.com of circuit training."

22. 05-24-2006 05:39 PM #22
      So why are people saying don't use Drain-O? Is it for the same reason you aren't supposed to use fix-a-flat in a tire (leaves a mess on the rim)?

23. 05-25-2006 03:12 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by jdircksen »
      So why are people saying don't use Drain-O? Is it for the same reason you aren't supposed to use fix-a-flat in a tire (leaves a mess on the rim)?

Nope, not really the same reasoning as the fix a flat thing. Basically the reasoning falls in this area. The Drano is basically a compound that when it connects with water it reacts and emits a "gas" that promotes the formation of another substance. This substance could actually cause more problems with the proper operation of the toilet. It can destroy the part of the bowl that controls the water release to the under/sewer pipe line from your toilet. Not sure if all the newer toilets have this flapper thingy on them. Think what it does is corrodes the bolts/fsateners that hold that flappy thing in place. Another thing is the reactant affect that takes place when the drano mixes with water. Not 100% sure, but think it has the same affect possibly as the reasoning not to put something like alka-seltzer type thing that forms a "gas" down the toilet.

24. 05-25-2006 06:04 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by jdircksen »

It's a caustic chemical that eats at the pipes, and will give you chemical burns if you come into contact with it.

The bucket method is the best bet.

If I'm lazy, and want to do the pour and wait method, I use the septic tank enzyemes I pour some of that into the bowl, and let it sit. It's an organic solution. I'm on city sewer, so I don't have to worry about messing up a septic system either.

Dave.

25. 05-26-2006 12:25 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by speedn16v »
      It's a caustic chemical that eats at the pipe

If so, how would it be safe for sinks?