Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Need help replacing the thermostat in 2001 1.8t Jetta IV

1. 05-21-2006 08:11 PM #1
      Hello all,

I am looking for a how to or advice on replacing a thermostat for a 2001 1.8t Jetta. From what I can tell by looking at the engine, it looks like it is going to be a b*tch to replace. One post on the Internet said it's behind the alternator and indeed it looks like it is.

The problem I am having is that the car started overheating today. There doesn't appear to be any antifreeze, or coolant leaking anywhere and it appears that there is plenty of fluid in the coolant system. The radiator fans come on when the car begins to overheat so I believe they are working okay too.

Anybody have a problem with their Jetta overheating? Anybody know if it could be anything else besides the thermostat, or how much it might cost to have it done at a dealer.

I checked out the MK IV How-to's and didn't see this how to listed anywhere.

Thanks for any tips.

Mike
      2001 Jetta 1.8t
      St. Louis, MO

2. 05-21-2006 08:19 PM #2

if your going to open the hood get one
      btw only work on a cooled car

Vehicles
      2010 Evo X GSR, 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, 2001 GTI
      05-21-2006 08:41 PM #3
      Depending on how many miles you have on your car, you may need a new water pump. OEM water pumps have a plastic impeller that is prone to braking and cracking due to heating up and cooling down numerous times. I havent seen many thermostats go out especially before the water pump. But if you replace the water pump, replace the thermostat since it has been overheating and that in itself is not good for the thermostat. If I had to guess, I would say you need a water pump, but more info on the car could be helpful. And if you do replace the waterpump, buy the one from I believe ECS Tuing. It has a metal impellar.

4. 05-22-2006 11:54 AM #4
      Well, I called the local VW dealer and they said that in order to replace the thermostat, water pump, and timing belt, along with a diagnosis of the coolant system it would cost $824.95.

The car has 98,000 miles and is a 2001 Jetta. I don't think I have that much cash to put into this repair, so I guess instead of them I'll have to get the parts and do it myself. ECS Tuning has the water pump, timing belt, and thermostat for $122 shipped. So I'll try and take some photos of the job and let you guys know anything I find.

If anyone has any additional advice or input, feel free to add it.

Thank you,

Mike
      2001 Jetta 1.8t
      St. Louis, MO

Vehicles
      2010 Evo X GSR, 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, 2001 GTI
      05-22-2006 09:42 PM #5
      Have fun with that . Timing belt and water pump are defenitely a project. But a good learing experience.

6. 01-12-2010 01:10 AM #6
      Hey there,
      My jetta 2001 1.8 is also having a problem with the temperature gage. Says completely cool, i.e. zero movement on the hand toward the middle, but earlier tonight the overheating sensor started to flash on my dashboard. So, I turned on the heater and in a few minutes it turned off. If anyone has any pics, I would appreciate it. I was thinking it may be the temp sensor or possibly the thermostat/cap to the coolant bowl. Thanks!!!