Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW MK3 GOLF 8V TO 16V CONVERSION

1. 05-27-2006 05:59 AM #1
      Hey guys,
      I have begun the conversion...

I am taking out a 2.0L 8v multi-point injection 85kw motor, and installing a 2.0L 16v ABF multi-point injection 110kw motor and a stronger gearbox...

First of all, my reasons for starting the project

It's known as a crumble box or 020
      Suprisingly, it still drives!
      And goes clunk clunk...

So, i bought this...

and the important DUAL CAMSHAFTS!

ANd the work begins...

AND MY ASSISTANTS!
      THANKS!
      (and the crate it came in....)

2. 05-27-2006 07:02 AM #2
      It's really good to see a post like this in the Australian forum. I see heaps of this in the mk2 forum and glad to see a bit is going on closer to home. Keep on updating!

3. 05-27-2006 07:13 AM #3
      I am running this thread in a few areas now...

Yeah, its from an early EURO mk3 GTI and has digi 3.1...if it did have digi 3.2 i'd have to have the key and transponder thing, or go aftermarket...motec..hehehe...

Otherwise, Carl provided a full gasket kit with it, which means that when i do the head gasket, i'll get the head crack tested and then ported and polished...
      But because that will happen before it gets running, then i won't be able to do a before and after power test...

Other mods will be the BMC CDA airbox i already have. Catch can to remove the PCV oil going into the intake, i hate that build up!! And the exhaust will need to be redone as the baffles in my DTM style muffler are broken...

And when it is running, i will want new cams...

But the question is....Would there be any performance gains in getting new valves and valve springs while i do the head??

4. Banned
      05-27-2006 07:30 AM #4
      Just rev the bananas out of it. If you get some valve bounce then replace your springs. I am assuming that you have not stripped the old engine yet.

If you have and you are getting the cylinder head reconditioned, then I would be putting new valves, springs and camshafts.

Modified by ABrz... at 3:31 AM 5-27-2006

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      05-27-2006 10:00 AM #5
      Good stuff Sean.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      That looks like something from their Prep Boy f@ggot collection.
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      Can you give me a heads up when that hits the market.

6. 05-27-2006 12:40 PM #6
      I went back this evening to do some more stuff...

Only removed the repaired aluminium sump on the 16v, and managed to crack the sump plug. It was on really really tight!!! So, instead of taking the sump off my 8v, i can still use this one...

And i took the old 020 gearbox off the 8v motor aswell and i found another big hole in the bellhousing and the broken rivets...

I tried to pry apart the gearbox casing to see more, but i gave up...
      I will source another bell housing half and repair the rivets to bolts...
      But if that happens, then that stuff will probably go in a mk1 or something...NEXT PROJECT..hahaha

The clutch is rooted on the 16v, so i'll need a new one of those...

And the spark plug leads have a gash in one of them, so i'll need to get some new leads too..

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta 125TDI, 1996 Mk3 TDI Squid
      05-27-2006 02:26 PM #7
      Damn... someone say Sump Damage!

Keep it up.

I looking forward to More Pics and reading all the tidbits of the project you can spare time to type...

8. 05-27-2006 08:18 PM #8
      Nice conversion mate.
      You can use your 8v Sump, geez that gearbox looks rooted. definitely good for spares.
      Keep the updates coming.

9. 05-28-2006 08:22 AM #9
      It's effectively day three now, being sunday night, and considering i started friday night...

Today i did some removal and installation, as well as checks and inspections...

One of the leads that came in the bundle of goodies has a gash on it, so i will get new leads soon...

I also lound gashes in what appears to be a knock sensor that was bolted to the block... PN# 037 905 377A
      Although, i looked on my 8v block and it has something with a different connector, but the same PN#.

Also, considering its a 02A gearbox, i discovered i need the front and rear mounting brackets from a VR6 or similar...
      Haven't worked out a source yet...

I also spotted my exhaust is squashed, I'm pretty puzzled as to how it happened, I wonder if it would affect performance at all...???

I removed the gear change linkage assembly and installed the gear change cable assembly...
      It was very easy to do and only required dropping the exhaust out of the way and bending (yes bending, hahaha) the heat shield out of the way. The assembly then just came out easily, and went in even better!!

Otherwise, Matt and I removed the head off the block. (I've never done it before)
      Matt says there is nothing wrong with the cylinders and the pistons look fine. There is still the cross-hatching on the cylinder walls and only faint vertical lines...

The head and flywheel have now been sent off to get tested and machined if need be... I'll get a quote on that port and polish too!

During the week, I may or may not be doing work on it...
      But i will definitely be chasing down parts during business hours...

And the photos...

The squashed down pipe and cable change gear now in place...

The cable..

It looks clean!

COUNT THEM....16 Valves!!

And my friend Matt...

And me "gettin' jiggy wit it..."

Modified by zero thrust angle at 4:25 AM 5-28-2006

10. 05-28-2006 08:34 PM #10
      Heya, whats the year stamp on the front of your block?

11. 05-28-2006 09:12 PM #11
      good project !

I hate finding out little things that turn out being major PITA jobs like that mount point.

Hope it all goes well.

BTW - how can you get any work done with that bird sitting around the workshop?

Vehicles
      '10 Golf GTD
      05-28-2006 09:27 PM #12
      Nice one dude

Can't wait to see the completed product.

next project: Supercharge the farker

VW MKVI Golf GTD - Black | Sunroof | MDi | Manual | RNS-510 | Hyper Silver GTC CX 18" | ChipExpress

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta 125TDI, 1996 Mk3 TDI Squid
      05-28-2006 10:08 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by zero thrust angle »
      Supercharge???

NO NO!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Audi-VW...wItem

hahaha!

Bwahahaha.... DO IT!!!!!!!!

14. 05-28-2006 11:06 PM #15
      babahahahah

thanks i'll put that in my wish list.

15. 05-28-2006 11:17 PM #16

2 things:
      1) She's cute. More pics!
      2) I love the turbo conversion idea. You can trust any turbo kit that includes a... "mit allen Dichtungen und Hosenrohranschlussflansch"

16. 05-29-2006 06:48 AM #17
      shes really a hermaphrodite guys...

hi sean! i couldnt remember my log in so i got a new one!

Vehicles
      BMW/Ford/Colnago/Blackhawk/DMR
      05-29-2006 07:24 AM #18
      Awesome dude - when we spoke last this was all a bit of a pipe dream then BAM its all go!

Is that Golf4's golf there? I take it that is Slow POS

18. 05-29-2006 10:24 AM #19
      yeah thats me lol. no point hiding its slow lol

Vehicles
      BMW/Ford/Colnago/Blackhawk/DMR
      05-29-2006 10:25 AM #20
      Engine upgrade!?!

20. 06-03-2006 11:46 PM #21
      Hey again!

So far this weekend I finished off swapping over the wiring loom, the ecu, and plugging it all into the fusebox...

Otherwise, we pulled off the bearing caps, and have decided to replace those, and I'm unsure if i should replace the piston rings at this point...

I also recieved my mounts from Golf Loon, thank you very much! Very speedy deilivery! Although, i found one of the mounts i bought, i already had...ooops...

So, this is me getting my head around the wiring...

The loom...

Half way...

Where it had to go...

The wishing well, first i dropped a clip, then some rubbish, then some coins for good luck...

Modified by zero thrust angle at 7:49 PM 6-3-2006

21. Senior Member
      06-03-2006 11:59 PM #22
      [QUOTE=zero thrust angle]So, this is me getting my head around the wiring...

Hey Sean, you sure you want to do Commerce instead of electrical engineering? You seemed to be good at it. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

22. Banned
      06-04-2006 09:25 AM #23
      You may as well do a full rebuild on the engine, crikey with that much effort already involved - may as well do a perfect job.

23. 06-04-2006 09:31 AM #24
      If you have a look at the steering universal boot you can see that its frayed , common problem on all 4 cylinder mk3's and extractor fitted mk3 vr6's . Hope you'll be changing that part

24. 06-04-2006 09:35 AM #25
      Yer, its no biggie to change now that there is nothing in the engine bay!

I also have to give the whole bay a clean, and tidy up of the wiring...

Does all old vw wiring wrap fall apart like that??

25. 06-04-2006 09:57 AM #26
      Yer, its no biggie to change now that there is nothing in the engine bay!

I also have to give the whole bay a clean, and tidy up of the wiring...

Does all old vw wiring wrap fall apart like that??

Make sure you undo the rack from inside the car . Make sure the steering wheel does not move , you dont want to know how much a new slip ring is . Before you cut the cable tie and remove boot make sure you know where the two sleeves ? are located , otherwise it wont fit correctly

when tidying up wiring be careful of lengths , zip ties are your best friend

old vw wiring seems to unwrap itself over time , dont ask me why , I just know it does it for some reason

Vehicles
      01/VW/Jetta Wolfy
      07-10-2007 02:47 PM #27
      Hey guys,
      I have begun the conversion...

I am taking out a 2.0L 8v multi-point injection 85kw motor, and installing a 2.0L 16v ABF multi-point injection 110kw motor and a stronger gearbox...

First of all, my reasons for starting the project

It's known as a crumble box or 020
      Suprisingly, it still drives!
      And goes clunk clunk...

So, i bought this...

and the important DUAL CAMSHAFTS!

ANd the work begins...

AND MY ASSISTANTS!
      THANKS!
      (and the crate it came in....)

Good luck on this project. Looking foward in following this thred. My plan is to do the same thing. Just need a list of parts and another 2.0L motor to start building at home.

27. 07-11-2007 12:45 AM #28
      It's been completed for quite a while now, he made a post in http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au though. Looks great

28. 07-11-2007 12:59 AM #29
      This is a swap not a conversion. It looks like he has taken the whole 8v motor and put in a 16v motor.

29. 10-03-2007 04:32 AM #30
      Man thats what i want to do with my car... but i dont know too much about it and i am afraid when i take it apart it wont work . what did u do with the ECU? did u put a new one or did u put a chip?? when u put a 16v head swap does it make it a DOHC ? Sorry if i am newbish i am just really anxious to do this asap. i am going to do the 16v head swap and then put a t3/t4 50 trim tubro in my 1998 Golf MKIII wolfsburg. I wanna get to 350hp! I was taunted by a Subaru WRX the other day... what the hell can i do with a little 8v 115hp!!!! he pwns me by 200hp + tubro! so i wanna do this soon! please give me a list of what you did and parts n stuff. like where did u get what. THANKS DUDE and awesome project

10-03-2007 05:20 AM #31
      Quote, originally posted by EXXX666 »
      I was taunted by a Subaru WRX the other day... what the hell can i do with a little 8v 115hp!!!! he pwns me by 200hp + tubro!

did it look like this
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=z_rUbJQVK1Y

Vehicles
      2013 The Beetle, 2009 Genuine Stella 2T
      10-03-2007 05:23 AM #32
      Sorry if i am newbish i am just really anxious to do this asap.

oh yeah... this has good idea written all over it.

I my crazy dachshund

10-03-2007 05:25 AM #33
      Quote, originally posted by kitty »

oh yeah... this has good idea written all over it.

http://vids.myspace.com/index....20550

http://vids.myspace.com/index....73032

33. 10-03-2007 11:41 AM #34
      Man thats what i want to do with my car... but i dont know too much about it and i am afraid when i take it apart it wont work . what did u do with the ECU? did u put a new one or did u put a chip?? when u put a 16v head swap does it make it a DOHC ? Sorry if i am newbish i am just really anxious to do this asap. i am going to do the 16v head swap and then put a t3/t4 50 trim tubro in my 1998 Golf MKIII wolfsburg. I wanna get to 350hp! I was taunted by a Subaru WRX the other day... what the hell can i do with a little 8v 115hp!!!! he pwns me by 200hp + tubro! so i wanna do this soon! please give me a list of what you did and parts n stuff. like where did u get what. THANKS DUDE and awesome project

go read about it in the hybrid/swap forum... ...and start to save your money now...

34. 10-03-2007 02:49 PM #35
      lol well i wouldnt go racing a car that would absolutely beat me no questions asked. I would just race civics like that to laugh at. Well yes i know every one wants to flame me cause i r noob but whatever i got time to waste while i wait to take my mechanics course. How hard could it be to do a 16v conversion and a turbo/intercooler install ??? couldn't be THAT hard.

So how much money do you think i have to save? cause i have an estimation but it maybe wrong. Whats your idea on how much money it will cost?

So what if i am a noob doesnt mean i cant do it. The only thing i dont know **** about is the ECU in the car. i dont know if i need a whole other ECU or a chip or a program to plug the OBDII to my comp and change the parameters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast