Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Tips on mounting low-profile tires?

1. 05-31-2006 09:45 PM #1
      The other day I was trying to mount a tire on a student's 17" SRT4 wheel and had to stop or risk to stretch/rip the bead. I told him to bring it to the nearest tire vendor and let them try to screw it up.

That's happened to me mounting really, really old tires if I forget to lube the bead and manually mount more than 180°, but Ive mounted up to 205 55 16 with no problems. Im not a professional by any stretch (no pun intended) but would like to know any tips on mounting stiff-walled low profile tires.

I should also mention that I was using a John Bean tire changer like this one

I did find this item
      http://www.hunter.com/pub/prod...5.htm
      but in the absence of this, is there anything else one can do?

thx.

Modified by .je at 8:15 AM 6-1-2006

2. 05-31-2006 10:08 PM #2
      use a tire iron held under the lip of the wheel to hold the tire down as it spins....

or use a drop center tool to hold the tire down....my shop has a pneumatic ram that holds the tire down

the proper tire lube is also crucial.....it should be a gel and evaporate quickly, if i get a chance, ill post pics

Vehicles
      03 GTI 1.8t BT
      05-31-2006 11:54 PM #3
      I would love to have a machine like that. Ours (my shop) is about 8 years old. It has no drop center, no hydrolic ram for the sidewall, bare bones maching.
      Lubing the bead is very important. Use a few prybars to keep the sidewall compressed.
      I did some 255/40/17 today for my maxima. We don't sell tires lower than a 50 sidewall on any customer car for liability reasons on scratching the wheel, but our machine is capable of 35 or 40 series depending on width of wheel.

4. 06-01-2006 01:05 AM #4
      ive done 315/35 or 40 18 before, and i didnt even need any thing extra....but the skinny (205-235) tires you need to hold the tire in the drop center....