Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Volvo S60R - Hit or Miss?

Vehicles
      10 Jetta TDI, 01 Jetta TDI, 97 Jetta, 89 Jetta VR, 93 f-150
      06-01-2006 07:14 PM #36
      The Bi-Xenons have heavy restrictions here in the states. The low beams are great but the Highs suck!!! The only alternative is to swap them out for Euro Bi-Xenons. See swedespeed.com for the swap they just did it last month on their project V-70R.

The flash green was only available for one year with only 7 of them coming to the states!!!
      We had one in stock, here at the dealership!!!! Awesome Color

*Akina Speed Stars*

Instagram- DMcRonald

Quote Originally Posted by DRW-CORRADO View Post
      That doesn't involve sucking, that involves bending over.

Vehicles
      10 Jetta TDI, 01 Jetta TDI, 97 Jetta, 89 Jetta VR, 93 f-150
      06-01-2006 07:21 PM #37
      Yes, I have driven several 6spd. R's They all feel a little funny at first. It is something you get used to. All of the Volvo clutches feel that way. I found that it helps to drive without shoes! I personally could feel the clutch a lot better.

Harryhood- i read that you that you own a V-70R and that the 6 spd manual is great, but is yours a manual. You said the torque is not all there at 1950rpms and comes in at approx 2500rpms. To the best of my knowledge the Autos are limited in 1st and 2nd gear to promote longevity.

Modified by spicygimp at 4:30 PM 6-1-2006

*Akina Speed Stars*

Instagram- DMcRonald

Quote Originally Posted by DRW-CORRADO View Post
      That doesn't involve sucking, that involves bending over.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      06-01-2006 07:27 PM #38
      I really like it, but of course the fast Audi, Mercedes, and BMW are "better" cars (they also cost a lot more)... but the Volvo is definitely designed to be able to live with and in all weather, it's also NOT German, which is sometimes a nice thing - more comfortable ride, comforting interior layout that isn't so cold and dark, generally a softer alternative.

THe S60R is a good car, but it's the V70R that really does it for me... The Audi S4 Avant is useless as a wagon, way too damn small for rear passengers, and luggage space isn't nearly as good... the Mercedes E-Class AMG wagon is huge like the Volvo, but it costs a whole lot more (but it does have way more power) and will probably break down more often,

I really like Volvo's in general, the R cars will probably always have my approval as sweet cars.

Quote, originally posted by spicygimp »
      Yes, I have driven several 6spd. R's They all feel a little funny at first. It is something you get used to. All of the Volvo clutches feel that way. I found that it helps to drive without shoes! I personally could feel the clutch a lot better.

I kind of like Volvo clutches... you're right at home if you've owned a VW... I found the engagement point to be very similar, but the Volvo manual transmission drivetrains are so damn smooth and easy to launch - loved the fact that their engines don't over rev at the tip of the gas either, making it that much easier... I test drove a lot of cars between last summer and this past winter, and I found the Volvo manual transmission drivetrains to be the best for smoothness and ease of launching the car (most Japanese cars had engines that would rev way too high at the tip of the throttle, I don't like that).

Quote, originally posted by MEIN_VW »

My local Volvo dealer said the S60/V70 would be redesigned for the 2008 model year but I don't know how official that information is.

You heard right, the cars will be announced in 2007 as 2008 models, following the launch of the Volvo S80 flagship... there will also be a Volvo C30 hatchback to compete with the VW GTI, Audi A3, Mini Cooper S etc.

Modified by Live-Wire at 7:36 PM 6-1-2006

4. Member
      Vehicles
      WK2 Grand Cherokee & XTerra
      06-01-2006 08:37 PM #39
      Quote, originally posted by lip »
      And you don't see them everyday

Probably my favorite "feature" of the R.

ski fast take chances

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      06-01-2006 08:50 PM #41
      I love the Evolve tuning and body kit:

Esi ϟ Disi

6. 06-01-2006 08:59 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by MEIN_VW »

My local Volvo dealer said the S60/V70 would be redesigned for the 2008 model year but I don't know how official that information is.

I thought the last rumor on the replacement for the S60/V70 was in limbo. The S40 is doing well and the new S80 is close in terms of price, size, and performance (Yes I know the S80 will have a V-8).

The last thing I read was Volvo's interest to do something different in terms of a different vehicle.

I could be wrong? Back on topic - I would love a V70R!

Vehicles
      07 Subaru WRX
      06-01-2006 09:12 PM #43
      Quote, originally posted by GTiTOM »
      absurd discounts o dq n these right now. there was an ad in the local paper for $10,000 off msrp if you lease. my girl's brother was looking into these and said he found people online ORDERING them and getting almost $15K off sticker. at $45K (with all the options) i'd run away, but if it came down to closer to $30, it becomes an interesting car. he was supposed to go drive one yesterday, but i don't think he made it.

i dont believe that for a second. in 2003 i sold volvos, and we didnt discound r's a bit. we also did such a good job selling them that we got extra inventory beyond out allotment. you couldnt trade for them with anyone because they were selling theirs too.

granted, that was 3 years ago, but you cant tell me that in 3 years the cars are selling for new with a 30%, think about that for a second, a 30% discount off sticker volvo always had dealer cash on many of their models but nothing even coming CLOSE to that

No more Shake N Bake. From now on, it's El Diablo and The Magic Man

Vehicles
      07 Subaru WRX
      06-01-2006 09:18 PM #44
      Quote, originally posted by AndrewT »
      has anyone ever driven a 6 speed version of this?

i test drove one, and the clutch was terrible...was too light, very small engagement zone, and very high. i had to rev the crap out of the car at a full stop to have any semblence of a smooth start. could there have just been something wrong with the one i drove?

other than that, its a great car. its certainly not as sporting as a S4 or M3, but the engine pulls like a freight train, and it handles quite well for such a big car. i agree with the person above who said it sounds like a vacuum cleaner at full throttle. kinda nasty.

i'd buy one with an automatic, but that clutch was terrible.

i've driven a few of them, but it was long enough ago that i barely remember. i remember all volvo clutches being kinda light, the shifter wasnt as bad as the criticism it got in all the rags, and it wasnt the greatest handler but sharper than a t5 at least. i remember boost hitting early and pulling hard all the way (the turbo is actually quite sizeable!)

i also remember feeling a noticible difference in the suspension settings

Vehicles
      2013 BMW X5 35d; 2008 Mazda CX9
      06-02-2006 12:00 PM #45
      Quote, originally posted by yo vanilla »

i dont believe that for a second. in 2003 i sold volvos, and we didnt discound r's a bit. we also did such a good job selling them that we got extra inventory beyond out allotment. you couldnt trade for them with anyone because they were selling theirs too.

granted, that was 3 years ago, but you cant tell me that in 3 years the cars are selling for new with a 30%, think about that for a second, a 30% discount off sticker volvo always had dealer cash on many of their models but nothing even coming CLOSE to that

Mine was a 2004 model that they sold me for $5k off sticker in August of 2004. I have heard that S60R's get bigger discounts because they tend not to sell as well as the V70R's. I think $10k might be exaggerated, but 6 or 7k is not unheard of late in the model year.

Caretaker of the National Strategic Beer Reserve

10. 06-02-2006 01:44 PM #46
      I own an '04 V70R. I'd say HIT for the most part.

Mine is 6-spd manual, and coming out of a '95 Saab 900 the clutch isn't bad at all!

The worst features are the turning radius and the 4C suspension, in that order. The best feature is stepping on the gas above 3K RPM, in any gear.

I love the Sonic Blue color that became available for 2006, I'd have gotten it if available in 2004. Mine is TiGray, shown below:

sorry for the odd photos, I'm posting from work.

Modified by kr900 at 10:49 AM 6-2-2006

Modified by kr900 at 10:52 AM 6-2-2006

11. 06-02-2006 01:59 PM #47

Quote, originally posted by HarryHood »
      Unlike the people who have responded here, I own a V70R.

--Seats (best seats ever, anywhere, anytime)
      --Power is impressive, turbo hooliganism
      -- Hauling capacity
      -- Q-ship
      -- looks
      -- stereo system is fantastic
      -- blue chrono dials
      -- comfortable
      -- ability to modify suspension settings
      -- AWD for winter fun
      -- loaded with all the luxury trimmings
      -- definitely feels, looks and smells like a Swedish car
      -- safety ratings are great
      -- car feels like a brick, substantial, doors are pleasingly chunky
      -- nice 6-speed manual shifter

Dislikes:
      -- too big and heavy for real fun in the twisties
      -- steering lacks feel, overboosted
      -- turning radius wider than many full size SUV's, makes for difficult parking in most urban parking lots and garages
      -- suspension feels wrong (jiggly damping picks up every bump in the road but floaty suspension in "comfort" mode, search swedespeed for "sidehop" or "sidestep" problem)
      -- common problem is a retaining bracket under the exhaust hangs low and can get bent upwards on a speedbump, forcing the exhaust into the driveshaft. = expen$ive repair.
      -- bi-xenon headlights are embarrassingly bad especially on high beam, worse than many halogens
      -- torque listing of 295 lb-ft at 1950 rpm is optimistic; full engine torque doesn't feel like it cuts in until 2500 and up; Haldex AWD plus turbo magnifies turbo lag as the AWD system causes it to bog a little bit.

The V70R is a great "total package" -- speed, hauling, comfort, luxury, looks. There are few if any real competitors to the V70R at its price point (S4 Avant is smaller and much pricier; Dodge Magnum SRT-8 is interesting but lacks the hauling capacity; Legacy GT wagon is a cheaper alternative but nowadays you can't get it in a stick; SUV's might factor into it but if you don't like SUV's, then there's not much there).

I agree with HarryHood, as we seem to own identical twin V70Rs. He missed out on the total stealth-speed factor of the car. The highs and lows pointed out all are true...

Vehicles
      07 Subaru WRX
      06-03-2006 09:45 AM #48
      Quote, originally posted by HarryHood »

Mine was a 2004 model that they sold me for $5k off sticker in August of 2004. I have heard that S60R's get bigger discounts because they tend not to sell as well as the V70R's. I think $10k might be exaggerated, but 6 or 7k is not unheard of late in the model year.

$5K off at the end of the model year is entirely believeable; i remember volvo having $5K dealer cash on certain models at that time of year, for instance (and actually august is 5 months after volvo's new model year, new year cars always came in around april)

$7K is a stretch, but a possibility if there is $5K dealer cash and they discount the gross (they have iirc $2000ish gross in them). $10K is not believeable, and $15K is most certainly not.

also, unless things have changed the s60r was always the better volume selelr, as the v70r had about 1/3 the production.

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      06-03-2006 10:53 AM #49
      $10K is not believeable, and $15K is most certainly not.

i guess i can't read then all i'm saying is that last week's boston globe had an ad that said "Volvo S60R Leases: $10,000 off MSRP" (not verbatim). i'll see if i can dig up the paper and take a pic for you. i don't know the details, nor the "catches", but that's what the advertisement read. either way, still a hefty discount.

EDIT:

just peaked around edmunds car pricing forums. searched for "s60r". more than one person is talking about getting them for more than $10,000 under INVOICE as well. first return was this thread:

page 7: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.c...d0/60

"Replying to: qbrozen (May 09, 2006 10:22 am)

There is $10,500 in lease cash on the R starting today.
      Makes a big difference in the lease program. "

page 10:
      http://townhall-talk.edmunds.c...d0/89

#90 of 103 Philly Suburb Deal by asd302 May 16, 2006 (6:57 pm)
      Reply | E-mail Msg
      Replying to: petrus36 (May 16, 2006 3:52 pm)

MSRP: $45,800
      Sale Price: $31,000

Residual: 43%, $19,694
      Money Fctr: .00202 = 3.95%
      Down Pymt: $0, just inceptions of $1000
      36mo/15k/yr

$439/mo + tax = $468.51/mo

Modified by GTiTOM at 10:07 AM 6-3-2006

Vehicles
      07 Subaru WRX
      06-03-2006 11:28 AM #50
      i would like to see the ad, if you dont mind

there is a difference in "lease cash" vs actual discounts though. you can make a lease number look any way you want it to

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      06-03-2006 01:10 PM #51

there is a difference in "lease cash" vs actual discounts though. you can make a lease number look any way you want it to

unfortunately, the paper had been sent to recycling by now (ya i know, likely story ).

either way, it looks like they're leasing 45K dollar cars based on a price of around 30K with decent residuals and money factor. whether that's "lease cash", "discounts", or "incentives", 450 a month for an S60R with 15K miles a year is a pretty slammin deal. i don't claim to know the details, i'm just reportin' what i've read

Modified by GTiTOM at 10:11 AM 6-3-2006

06-03-2006 01:13 PM #52

17. 06-03-2006 02:35 PM #53
      how much do s60r's run about? they're def sick cars, i want one...

06-03-2006 06:23 PM #54
      Does anyone know if there are any plans for an R model of the new S60/V70?

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      06-03-2006 08:56 PM #55
      Quote, originally posted by Gman VR6 »
      how much do s60r's run about? they're def sick cars, i want one...

$45,000-ish, before incentives

Vehicles
      04 S2000 02 buick century
      06-03-2006 10:11 PM #56
      drove both the wagon and sedan.....holy turbo lag!!! but wicked quick when the turbo kicks in.

21. 06-04-2006 04:01 AM #57
      .........I love that car!!!!!!!!

Vehicles
      86 Golf, 90 Corrado, 88 & 91 GLI, 91 MR2T
      06-04-2006 04:57 AM #58
      Drove one for months, simply amazing car. Black exterior with blue interior, simply beautiful.

Cornering with the haldex is fun, inline 5 turbo engine is more than adequate, and nobody ever thinks volvo can run, so it's fun to catch them off guard on the highway.

06-04-2006 10:12 AM #59
      This thread needs more pics of what is arguably one of the best features of an S60R
      The interior!

Nordkap!!

'03 BMW 530i sport.
      '98 Lexus LS400-For Sale

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      06-04-2006 02:08 PM #60

today's paper:

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda 3i Touring
      06-04-2006 05:27 PM #61
      Quote, originally posted by ethar »
      Clean and discreet. I always like it.

x2

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I often pass slow-moving Priuii on the right, my engine clubbing 9000 baby seals per minute while I do so.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW X5 35d; 2008 Mazda CX9
      06-05-2006 10:03 AM #62
      Quote, originally posted by kr900 »

I agree with HarryHood, as we seem to own identical twin V70Rs. He missed out on the total stealth-speed factor of the car. The highs and lows pointed out all are true...

"Q-ship" factor, which I highlighted in my "likes", is shorthand for the stealth-speed factor.

Caretaker of the National Strategic Beer Reserve

27. 06-05-2006 10:20 AM #63
      Does anyone know about the reliability of the newer volvos? My parents had a 1993 850 that they handed down to my sister which is now in a junkyard -- pretty much fell apart.

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      06-05-2006 11:11 AM #64
      Quote, originally posted by GruvenVR6 »
      Does anyone know about the reliability of the newer volvos? My parents had a 1993 850 that they handed down to my sister which is now in a junkyard -- pretty much fell apart.

did she have anything to do with it's demise

29. 06-05-2006 11:19 AM #65
      No doubt she helped it on it's way, but even before it was hers, my dad was meticulous with the maintenance, bought it new, the A/C went out twice, rear wheel bearings, the front seats wore out and "sport mode" stopped working.

Vehicles
      Diesel Wagon
      06-05-2006 11:27 AM #66
      93 was probably the worst year ever. they changed alot of things for 94 (or late 94). My 1997 was reliable for the most part....but lots of electrical issues..asside from replacing alot of worn parts...the car had 200k miles in the end.

As for the newer ones, my dad had an 02 XC and Now an 06 2.5T AWD...no problems really. He did have to replace 2 rear wheel bearings out of warranty, he drives ALOT, and they where pvery pricey, but that was a now issue with the XC and could have been done before the warranty expired, he just did'nt have time.

Modified by GTI_CH at 10:29 AM 6-5-2006

Vehicles
      VW CC 6MT, Ford Freestar, diesel rabbit (RIP)
      06-05-2006 03:17 PM #67
      very very cool. there's a volvo salesman that keeps calling me to go and joy ride in one with him since i went in to get my xc70 fixed. i haven't done it yet! i always work too late! i'll make time and let you know how it goes.

Vehicles
      Z4 Coupe. A4, VeraCruz
      06-05-2006 03:18 PM #68
      well i'd hit it! if that helps...
      You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean doesn’t become dirty

33. 06-07-2006 03:19 PM #69
      HOT!

Vehicles
      2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo, 2013 BMW 135is, Manual
      06-07-2006 03:25 PM #70
      Quote, originally posted by RollingInDubs »
      However, I can't stand the way they sound at WOT! It sounds like a turbo vacuum. There is no awesome soundtrack to go along with the looks. To me if a car is supposed to be performance oriented, it should at least have the soundtrack to back it up.

All they are lacking is a good cat-back exhaust. The 5 cylinder sounds just like the 5-cyl. Audi Turbo Quattro's, un-corked.

Yeah, they really sound THAT good!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast