VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's the love for buses?

Vehicles
      '11 GTI Autobahn
      06-04-2006 07:04 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by T-redpoint8T »
      Lmao, I thought the PRT looked so cool before I started going to WVU...Then I rode it and realized what an s-hole it really is. That thing breaks down like twice a day. Although, having sex on it is quite the "fantasy" for many wvu students, according to facebook.

Tell me about it -- I am well aware of the ****hole that is the PRT, but I guess it's some sort of engineering feat.
      Apparently companies from all over the world come to study it -- I guess as to not recreate its failures.

2. 06-04-2006 07:24 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by WannaCorrado »
      WOW, I saw this thread and was immediately going to post an Ikarus, but you had the same thing in mind!
      I grew up riding in these in Moscow...
      [PIC]

Modified by WannaCorrado at 1:45 PM 6-4-2006

Cheers, mate! I'm from Moscow too. As a kid I used to love Ikaruses (Ikarii ?!) I would stand in the middle, or sit on the rails in the middle. Noone would probably let you do that in Canada, cuz it's "not safety".

3. Banned
      06-04-2006 07:41 PM #28

I don't live in SF, just near it - but when I go there I have tons of fun riding these as they take off like rockets o_O

4. Member
      06-04-2006 07:47 PM #29
      So, I was walking through the Gruenewald outside of Berlin, I JUST missed my bus. So, I was waiting, and LO-AND-BEHOLD!
      This Bad boy Appears!

It's one of 8-9 buses in this museum, and they keep them on routes for fun...
      It was my lucky day, if I had caught my normal bus, I woulda missed this one!

Vehicles
      Keksdose; Elch, Hugo und Rennsemmel
      06-04-2006 07:58 PM #30
      Here's one from Aachen; it's called Long Wajong Meaning "long wagon" in the Aachen dialect.

Fiat 126 bis build thread here. Error 404: 0-60 not found.
      Fiat 128, the stroppy cow.

06-04-2006 08:37 PM #31
      Surprised nobody has posted these guys yet. Hey, it's a company name.

MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

7. Banned
      06-04-2006 10:21 PM #32

This is my favorite bus company. Turistar Cinco Estrellas, the luxury bus wing of Grupo Estrella Blanca, one of the biggest bus companies in Mexico.
      The interior has a wide business class airline one seat/aisle/two seat system with a snack bar providing coffee in the rear with a lavatory flushing toilet, wash basin and running water.
      Upon entering the bus, each passenger is given a sack with a sandwitch, cookie and soda and a pillow. On board movies are also provided as well as direct air vents for each seat.
      The bus body is an Irizar Century model. It rides on a Mercedes-Benz O-400 RSE chassis with a 360 hp OM-457 LA engine and 6 speed manual transmission.
      Each bus has a driving team, one driver rests in an on-board sleeper compartment under the bus. By company policy, the bus is speed limited to 95 km/h.

Modified by RatRedux at 7:22 PM 6-4-2006

Modified by RatRedux at 7:24 PM 6-4-2006

8. 06-04-2006 10:22 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by SurRea1 »
      Cheers, mate! I'm from Moscow too. As a kid I used to love Ikaruses (Ikarii ?!) I would stand in the middle, or sit on the rails in the middle. Noone would probably let you do that in Canada, cuz it's "not safety".

Used to take the same bus to my school in Budapest. Brings back some nice memories. The bus was originaly Hungarian desgined and manufactured. I think the company got bought a while ago (IRC by Kamaz)

Vehicles
      '96 GTI 2.0, '00 Golf 1.8T
      06-04-2006 10:35 PM #34
      Quote, originally posted by Lupo TDI »
      Here's one from Aachen; it's called Long Wajong Meaning "long wagon" in the Aachen dialect.

Yikes! I used to go to Aachen all the time (lived just north of there, outside Geilenkirchen) but those must have shown up after I left!
      I loved the crazy cool tourist busses I would see in Europe - fancy double-deckers with matching cargo trailers, etc. Similar to the blue Mercedes above, but often more exotic. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      This is the best I could find... and it's not as cool as I was looking for. Maybe someone else can do better.

Modified by Arsigi at 7:43 PM 6-4-2006
      Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted
      FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI
      06-04-2006 10:41 PM #35
      Here's some pics of when a GRTC bus here in VA slammed into a building downtown.

11. 06-04-2006 10:47 PM #36
      articulated buses scare me ...

Vehicles
      MH-60R
      06-04-2006 10:57 PM #37

Hahahaha I grew riding these things in HAVANA... They were all red and cream.... Then blue..... Then they all broke down and got some MB... Now I present to you THE CAMEL...

Alex
      FLY NAVY

13. 06-04-2006 11:04 PM #38

06-05-2006 12:13 AM #39
      Quote, originally posted by paffka »
      Urban favourite is the Ikarus 280. In articulated buses, the passengers are having fun too.

Modified by paffka at 8:32 AM 6-4-2006

LOL... IKARUS... We had those in Ottawa when I was growing up... they were hilarious, they were always having rust problems and leaking exhaust into the cabin. Gotta love Eastern European technology .

My favourite were always the old GM Newlook busses:

06-05-2006 12:18 AM #40
      Quote, originally posted by SurRea1 »

We had the Ikarus in Ottawa and you were allowed to sit/stand in the middle... hold your breath though, thats where all the exhaust fumes leaked into the bus .

06-05-2006 12:22 AM #41
      Biarticulated buses FTW!

06-05-2006 12:25 AM #42
      not buses, but Peru uses hundreds of these as public transportation:

18. 06-05-2006 12:33 AM #43
      Hino Selega jointly developed by Hino and Isuzu (after the merger of their bus making business).

Modified by RDT at 9:45 PM 6-4-2006

06-05-2006 12:33 AM #44
      Quote, originally posted by Pelko »
      not buses, but Peru uses hundreds of these as public transportation:

Guyana was the same way. They were all suped up with rims and chrome and custom paint too....some with really weird sayings. My coworkers and I even saw one that said "BLING DAWG" on it. Seriously wanted a picture of it, but we never saw Bling Dawg again during our time there
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

06-05-2006 12:38 AM #45
      Quote, originally posted by ATL_Av8r »
      Guyana was the same way. They were all suped up with rims and chrome and custom paint too....some with really weird sayings. My coworkers and I even saw one that said "BLING DAWG" on it. Seriously wanted a picture of it, but we never saw Bling Dawg again during our time there

wow...here they are just all white...

21. 06-05-2006 12:42 AM #46
      the parade of progress looked awesome I just saw one on the Speed channel Barret auction. amazing. I think GMC remembered them, and made that PAD thing

http://www.futurliner.com/account.htm
      http://www.futurliner.com/

Modified by jayseal22 at 12:50 AM 6-5-2006

Vehicles
      Mk2 GTI, Mk1 TT, Q5
      06-05-2006 01:55 AM #47
      repping the UK buses in Hong Kong. Didn't see these posted so here we go.

Current buses roaming around Hong Kong.

Sample interior shot

Quote, originally posted by Lineone.net »
      Kowloon Motor Bus certainly operate a 'first class' style bus service. One would be surprised how innovative it is inside, with a nice drivers cab, with leather seat and high back interior seats. The B10TL Super Olympian has many Crystal Eyes TV monitor screens (you can see one at the top windscreen), nicely trademark Wrightbus moulded interior and a very nice seat moquette & material. Not to mention the full air conditioning throughout both decks.
      Looking at a view of the upper deck from the staircase, you can see how luxurious it feels, with seats galore. One of the two TFT style TV screens upstairs (three downstairs) is mounted on the left of the picture on the offside above the staircase. On the video playing on all screens was showing the bus going through the streets of Hong Kong and the Wrightbus & Volvo combination of the bus

Not sure why they would call it 'first class'. They are certainly not uncomfortable though.
      Older buses:
      Dennis Dragon, early 90's AC'd bus
      Leyland Olympian

Volvo Olympian

Short wheel base Dennis Dragon

Non AC'd versions:

Even earlier 80's two axle buses:
      Leyland Victory MkII, famous for several rollovers. Pretty powerful (and noisy) bus in its era. They were phased out of service not too long after a few accidents.

Early pre 80's double decker buses. They are probably the second gen double decker buses. They started servicing in the 60's and 70's and were phased out completely by the early 90's.

For the kids

Modified by vwtoys at 11:05 PM 6-4-2006

Vehicles
      1998 Cabrio | 2001 M3
      06-05-2006 04:34 AM #48

24. 06-05-2006 04:42 AM #49
      Quote, originally posted by cityjohn »

WOW. what is that!

Vehicles
      Thundercougarfalconbird
      06-05-2006 04:45 AM #50
      Quote, originally posted by RatRedux »

This is my favorite bus company. Turistar Cinco Estrellas, the luxury bus wing of Grupo Estrella Blanca, one of the biggest bus companies in Mexico.
      The interior has a wide business class airline one seat/aisle/two seat system with a snack bar providing coffee in the rear with a lavatory flushing toilet, wash basin and running water.
      Upon entering the bus, each passenger is given a sack with a sandwitch, cookie and soda and a pillow. On board movies are also provided as well as direct air vents for each seat.
      The bus body is an Irizar Century model. It rides on a Mercedes-Benz O-400 RSE chassis with a 360 hp OM-457 LA engine and 6 speed manual transmission.
      Each bus has a driving team, one driver rests in an on-board sleeper compartment under the bus. By company policy, the bus is speed limited to 95 km/h.

Modified by RatRedux at 7:22 PM 6-4-2006

Modified by RatRedux at 7:24 PM 6-4-2006

Oh, yeah! I've thrown up while riding in one of those. All over the restroom and sink in back. Floaty ride + Mountain Roads= Barf
      It was on a trip from Buena Vista, Michoacan to Guadalajara, Jalisco.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast