VWVortex.com - factory speaker problems
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: factory speaker problems

1. 06-08-2006 09:08 AM #1
      The front speakers and tweeters on my 92 Cabriolet do not work, but the rear ones do. A repair guy pulled the radio and told me I had a seperate amplifier for the factory radio located somewhere, and wanted to know before we went any further. Does this car have a seperate amp somewhere? And if so, where is it located? I did not get an owner's manual when I bought this car.

2. 06-08-2006 10:13 AM #2
      'm nor familiar enought with your year(since I have an 86 and the only one i've owned) to tell you where it is but there is one that runs the front speakers. I'm sure there are others out here who can give you more specific info. BUt there IS an amp for the Front speakers.

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      06-08-2006 11:20 AM #3
      Kim,
      It's called an "Activ" system. The amps are in and integral parts of the front speakers.
      Since you need speakers, choose some 5 1/4" units you like, have them installed.
      Your installer will need to re-wire a bit, easiest way is to run new speaker leads to all four corners like in a fresh installation, connect them to the currently un-used speaker level outputs on your stock head unit, dis-connect the plug from the currently used Activ line level outputs.
      In the pics below, abandon the use of the bottom plug, wire all speakers to the middle plug.

Print this post, take it to your installer. Tell him the wiring to the left rear runs around the right side of the car, took me an hour, (very familiar with VW schematics, schematic in hand), to find the left rear connections, re-wiring suggestion comes from there.
      Ron
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

4. 06-09-2006 07:56 AM #4
      Thanks Ron! I'll take this to my install guy. Hopefully he'll be able to figure this out. I'll let you know, especially if there's something that needs clarification. Thanks again.

5. 07-07-2010 06:34 PM #5
      I would strongly recommend taking the existing amps (Screwed to the back of the front speakers) and trying to leave them powering the new speakers. The head unit is ~5.5 watts per channel, while the Aktiv amps are 20 watts per channel. The wires running out to the tweeter in the door are wired directly in parallel with the integrated speaker output - both are full range, no crossover, so if you're getting components in the front, you can run them that way.

Do watch out for speaker size though - make sure the stock amps fit around the new speaker magnets, or you won't get the speakers back into the doors without grinding out sheet metal in the doors. I'm selling the amplified component set I just built for this very reason.

6. 07-07-2010 06:52 PM #6
      Wow! from what i understand, almost all new speakers have a built in amplifier, and the stock speakers on this car had them too. but he needs to do some reading of his manual if he didn't know that.
      Please, correct me if i am wrong, but i find that a very obvious fact for an audio repair man.
      1990 Red Cabriolet +
      1991 Etienne Aigner Cabriolet +
      1991 Etienne Aigner Cabriolet +
      1992 Green Carat Cabriolet=
      CABRIOLET HEAVEN

7. 07-10-2010 06:41 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by zantarr94 View Post
      Wow! from what i understand, almost all new speakers have a built in amplifier, and the stock speakers on this car had them too. but he needs to do some reading of his manual if he didn't know that.
      Please, correct me if i am wrong, but i find that a very obvious fact for an audio repair man.
      Uh... No. I've never seen aftermarket speakers with integrated amplifiers. Almost all head units have amplifiers in them, while many people use separate amplifiers elsewhere in the car. Amps in the speaker is unique to these Aktiv systems and GM BOSE systems. Actually, the GM BOSE system puts the D/A converters in the speakers too.

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      04-28-2011 06:26 PM #8
      bmup
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

For advertising information click HERE