Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What happens when the Idle Air Control valve goes bad?

1. 02-28-2002 07:19 PM #1
      How does the car run if this thing goes bad? Would it cause the car to run incredibly rich?

Thanks,
      Eugene
      '87 Jetta GL gas
      '66 Chrysler New Yorker

2. 02-28-2002 07:50 PM #2
      Ooops sorry, I thought this was the title of a FOX TV show. Free bump for ya though.

3. 03-01-2002 11:29 AM #3
      BTT...

4. 03-01-2002 11:30 AM #4
      you mean the ISV, yes if it goes bad you run a little rich and start kicking out the black smoke...

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Rolls Rice yalu cloud, pink 59 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
      03-02-2002 01:23 PM #5
      Nah, it ain't got nothing to do with the mixture.

Because the idle control valve changes the amount of air that bypasses the throttle valve at idle, the idle speed will not stay constant when electrical or mechanical loads change. Such loads are the radiator fan and the air conditioning compressor.

For example, if idle is 950 rpm and the AC compressor clutch engages, the motor has a big load and it slows. A correctly working IACV senses the engine rpm and responds to the speed decrease by bypassing more air around the throttle plate. The additional air increases the idle speed.

6. 03-02-2002 04:23 PM #6
      mine has gone bad and it idles really high once the car warms up (around 2500 rpm). what i did was just clean it out with carb cleaner, which worked for a couple of months after i did it the first time. then carb cleaner wouldn't work anymore so i cut the wires running to the ISV and ran them back to a switch in my dash so i can turn the ISV off once the car is warm. seems to be working perfectly so far.

7. 03-02-2002 10:19 PM #7
      quote:
      How does the car run if this thing goes bad? Would it cause the car to run incredibly rich?

An 02 sensor might, a clogged cat definitely would, a shorted spark plug cable would do it on a single cylinder, a coil wire for more than one cylinder.

What symptoms do you have.

LP