Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Longboarders!!!

Vehicles
      '08 VW Thunder Rabbit Thingie, '86 Mazdarati B2000
      07-28-2010 11:59 PM #386
      Yeah. I wish I could find another pintail like that old Sector 9. It started to crack a few years ago so it's been rellegated to wall hanger status.
      It was the PERFECT pintail though.

I also have one of the original Cosmic Riders which started to crack as well. Never was a big fan of the board, but I love the graphics. Everything Sector 9 makes now a days looks cheesy as hell (even if the decks themselves are alright).
      [B]-Salty
      Saltywayz | SKE Forums

2. 08-11-2010 10:17 AM #387
      I am looking into getting an Arbor Pin koa. The board is the size and width that I want but at 6'5" 250 pounds I don't want
      It to be to flex though. Does anyone have this board here and can give me some much needed input? Thanks.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      -03 GTI -88 Coupe -86 Jetta -12 A3
      08-11-2010 07:18 PM #388
      my buddy got an arbor board a few weeks ago. i forget what model but it was made with similar wood/number of layers and everything. im 6'2 180lb. i was just about jumping on it and it didnt budge. i think you would be fine on the koa. hope this helps.

from a website:
      Made with seven plies of hardrock maple and a finish ply of Hawaiian Koa, all of which are sustainably sourced. Koa's more densely packed fibers add important structure, which improves return.
      dürtydübs
      DBC member #

4. 08-12-2010 09:49 AM #389
      @Dosmas. Thanks for the reply. After your post and talking to a couple other people about the arbor boards I feel pretty damn confident that I have found my first longboard. Thanks again.

Vehicles
      1993 Saab 9k CSE
      08-19-2010 04:06 PM #390
      Just picked up my first longboard today after longing for one for years. Stumbled across a CL ad for a Sector 9 for ...FORTY BUCKS?! Grip tape looks like somone put mud on it but it is crack free, and damn near new. Just spent a few hours cruising around town. I'm in love with longboarding.

Going to order new griptape and some other accs. I shall post pics when it gets cleaned up!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      08-19-2010 06:58 PM #391
      damn, 40 bucks!!! thats awesome. welcome back dude. shred.
      dürtydübs
      DBC member #

Vehicles
      1993 Saab 9k CSE
      08-20-2010 12:52 PM #392
      I'm pretty impressed for the price I paid.

And this happens to be the only downfall, but I ordered new griptape so it doesn't bother me at all.

The wheels alone cost as much as I paid for the whole board !

Where I am from people BMX or farm. So I get a lot of questions already on what the heck I am riding around on. It's pretty cool!

8. 08-20-2010 02:18 PM #393
      erickson......these things are beautiful.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      08-23-2010 11:01 AM #394
      snaggle tooth- board looks amazing for $40. ive been lookin for a board similar to that with gullwing and somethin super sticky.

that website was cool enough i put my email in. good connection
      dürtydübs
      DBC member #

Vehicles
      1993 Saab 9k CSE
      08-26-2010 05:31 PM #395
      College finally started earlier this week. Was pretty excited to roll around campus and enjoy the hills around the area. BUT Pub Safety basically ran me down this morning only to fine me and tell me skateboards are banned from campus. They claimed if they see me with it again they will take it.

So I just wrote an email to the head of school because I think this is bulls**t.

11. 08-26-2010 07:35 PM #396
      Quote Originally Posted by snaggle_tooth View Post
      BUT Pub Safety basically ran me down this morning only to fine me and tell me skateboards are banned from campus. They claimed if they see me with it again they will take it.
      yeah man this is bull****.. when i was in HS and college we'd get kicked out by campus safety all the time.. once they took my friend's board.. my friend's dad was PISSED (this was in like sophomore year of HS so we were all like 15 y/o) and went straight to campus safety and told them to give my friend his fcking board back or else. they were freaked out and complied, lol.

we'd always just give them different names when they'd ask us who we were, **** it. They can give you a fine or threaten to call the police but that don't have power to physically detain you or take your property (in TN at least..).

Vehicles
      1993 Saab 9k CSE
      08-27-2010 01:09 AM #397
      I ended up having a stern talk with one of the officers later on and he said they have to enforce such rule because they think I'm going to, and I quote, "deface campus property". Seriously? It's a longboard, not a spray can and some explosives. People are to worried about stuff getting ruined when they just need to relax and understand what I'm doing.

08-28-2010 12:23 PM #398
      I don't know if these style boards have a legitimate name, but I call mine the gnarboard. My setup is a 7.75 BC Surf and Sport deck, 64mm 97a Powell Peralta wheels, Reds bearings. I don't know the width of my trucks I've had them for years, but they're Independents. I live downtown Salt Lake City and this thing is perfect for cruising around. Just the other day I made an 8 mile ride in about 40 minutes.

That's my GnarPG stencil on the griptape

I love how they will stand up like this

This is my friend's

I live on the edge... of town

Vehicles
      1993 Saab 9k CSE
      08-30-2010 11:38 PM #399
      ^^^^
      never seen a set-up like that, i really dig it. thinking about doing that now!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      08-31-2010 08:41 AM #400
      ive seen people do that. how does it ride compared to another board.
      dürtydübs
      DBC member #

Vehicles
      08-31-2010 12:08 PM #401
      I did that to a couple boards a few years back. Makes for a fun little project. A lot of times you can buy a blank deck at your local skate shop for stupid cheap.

My experience was that they didn't turn particularly sharp, but they were really easy to kick and felt super stable (granted my max speed was maybe 35).
      [B]-Salty
      Saltywayz | SKE Forums

09-01-2010 07:29 PM #402
      Quote Originally Posted by dosmas View Post
      ive seen people do that. how does it ride compared to another board.
      Like Salty said, they're stable. Very low center of gravity. Although I don't think I'd go bombing any big hills on it since the wheelbase is still fairly short compared to a longboard. I skated for years, so the low stance is more comfortable to me than a longboard (the middle of mine sits about 2" off the ground). And because of the position of the trucks it has plenty of flex in it, which makes for some good carving. It's not hard to start sliding your turns with a little speed. I'd highly recommend building one. It's super easy and makes for a new interesting ride.
      I live on the edge... of town

18. 09-10-2010 12:18 PM #403
      Quote Originally Posted by classiceuro View Post
      I ride bustin. Had a Sector 9, didn't like it at all. Bustin is based in NY, and has amazing boards. I'm in the process of making my own board too.
      Which board do you ride?

I'm getting one for commuting to work (subway + 25 minute walk)

Leaning towards the Strike but the Spliff is intruiging as well

Gonna stop by the store this weekend, I heard they have demos for every board.

- no LB experience

19. 09-13-2010 04:04 PM #404
      Got a Bustin Strike yesterday (great customer service at the Brooklyn store - very friendly and not as elitist as people on silverfish seem to be)

w/ Randall RII 180 (stock bushings)

Biltin Bearings

Retro Zigs Lemon (75mm)

Holy crap I am a total kook on this thing. Took it to work (NYC) today. Bad idea; need more practice - and a helmet. Definitely much much faster than walking. Right now it's scary fun...hopefully, in a few weeks it becomes fun fun.

20. Junior Member
      09-13-2010 11:38 PM #405
      not sure if anyone knows, but how does the flex of the landyachtz drop carve or the rayne vendetta compare to the loaded dervish flex2? a buddy just picked up the dervish and i love the flex, and am trying to find something comparable

09-22-2010 09:23 PM #406
      just get a dervish lol. or get the new tan tien like i just did. best board ever

22. n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 passat 2.0 T (rip)
      10-20-2010 05:09 PM #407
      i just got into long boarding and am rolling on a "layback longboard" that a friend gave me it is crazy old b/c he acquired it in college years ago, so needless to say when i got it, it was a piece of crap. but after wheels, bearings, and some wood work i have a pretty good board lol. I ride in Houston so my friends and i just hit garages up b/c its flat here

10-28-2010 05:01 PM #408
      hey guys, i'm currently riding an old, ****ty 'krown' longboard. in the spring, i'm looking to spend a couple hundred bucks on a new board that's decent for downhill carving, commute, and attempting to pull off some dope looking tricks.

what do you guys suggest? looking to stay on a long-ish board (40 + inches)

24. Member
      Vehicles
      10-28-2010 09:16 PM #409
      get a loaded and call it a day.
      dürtydübs
      DBC member #

Vehicles
      02-11-2011 06:19 PM #410
      Well, I wasn't entirely too happy with the way my Madrid was handling so I set out into the garage last night to rummage through some spare parts to see what I could do about it. The bushings closest to the ground (what I call "top bushings") were quite soft to start out with and had gotten so worn out over the years that the trucks really had to be cranked down to keep things stable. This lead to an undesirable "mushy but not turny" feeling. Anyway, I ended up borrowing some medium hardness top bushings from a pair of Indy's that I had. I dunno exactly what's on the bottom but it's a barrel of what seems like medium hardness as well. I also ran across a set of old 64mm 97a re-issue G-bones loaded with an okay set of Bones Swiss bearings that I had totally forgotten about. So I decided to lube the bearings and slap those puppies on, replacing my 65mm mid 80's durometer Commets loaded with Biltins. So now I've got trucks that work again, faster bearings, faster wheels, and I was able to remove 1/4" of rise. I took it for a short ride and I was fairly happy with it. I think I'd probably like some wheels that are more around 90a and maybe some actual longboard trucks, but for now it's still quite a bit better than it was before.

Oh, and I also found an old stash of stickers recently, many of which made their way to the bottom of my board.

I miss tinkerin' around with boards. I used to have a whole living room worth of parts and I was constantly swapping things around and trying new setups (that's the modder in me). Great fun. I have a couple of other boards (shorties setup as cruisers) that I'd like to breath some new life into as well. New bushings, bearings, etc.
      Last edited by Salty VW; 08-02-2011 at 08:28 PM.
      [B]-Salty
      Saltywayz | SKE Forums

Vehicles
      02-11-2011 09:47 PM #411
      I was just pokin' around on some websites lookin' at some new longboards, and is it just me or have they really gone up in price in the past 5-6 years?
      [B]-Salty
      Saltywayz | SKE Forums

27. Member
      Vehicles
      02-13-2011 07:51 PM #412
      ^^so has the quality and user efficiency.

board looks good. you ride that in bowls.

cant wait to skate/longboard again...winter couldnt go by quick enough!! gotta learn how to balance again.
      dürtydübs
      DBC member #

Vehicles
      02-14-2011 03:50 PM #413
      ^^so has the quality and user efficiency.
      That's definitely true. I remember when Randalls were about the only affordable and easy to find longboard truck (that didn't have springs in it). I tried a couple and ended up going back to wedged Trackers and Indies just because their build quality was so poor. Decks have also progressed a lot with composites and V-lam and all that. Although I still tend to prefer a traditional maple ply deck.

board looks good.
      Thanks! I was beginning to hate it, but with this recent refresh I'm loving it again. Not just style wise but function wise as well.

you ride that in bowls.
      I used to ride very mild bowls and small 1/4 pipes and stuff, but right now I'm just cruising on flatland and surfing the occasional bank for the most part. I started skating again last year with some friends, just cruising around at car shows and club meets and such. I would like to get back into some mild skate park stuff though. I just needa' find me some old man knee pads and such before I go breakin' anything.
      Last edited by Salty VW; 02-14-2011 at 03:52 PM.
      [B]-Salty
      Saltywayz | SKE Forums

29. Member
      Vehicles
      02-17-2011 11:42 AM #414
      nice. definitely ride around at shows and gtg's.

what ever you got to do...just get out and skate! ive skated with guys double my age

need to start saving up for a real downhill/slide board for summer. thrash.
      dürtydübs
      DBC member #

Vehicles
      02-17-2011 06:45 PM #415
      Now if only it would stop raining...
      [B]-Salty
      Saltywayz | SKE Forums

Vehicles
      MTA
      02-23-2011 10:53 PM #416
      Got out once for an hour or so last week. So nice to be back out. Even had a cop roll past me while I was skating and didn't say a word.

I'm going to be living in Manhattan this summer. Are there any groups that ride around the city? I'm fairly novice, but I'm picking it up quickly and would love to find a group to ride around with. I saw the Broadway Bomb Race on youtube and figured there's got to be a big community there.

Also, what happened to all of the "Skateboarding is not a crime" stickers? I tried to find 'em on line today to buy and throw on my helmet, but can't find them.

Vehicles
      02-24-2011 11:48 AM #417
      Quote Originally Posted by 22AudiQ View Post
      Got out once for an hour or so last week. So nice to be back out. Even had a cop roll past me while I was skating and didn't say a word.
      Do you usually have problems with cops in your area when you're just cruising? We usually don't here, although back in the day I spent enough time on 4 small wheels to have some pretty crazy cop/security guard stories.

Quote Originally Posted by 22AudiQ View Post
      Also, what happened to all of the "Skateboarding is not a crime" stickers? I tried to find 'em on line today to buy and throw on my helmet, but can't find them.
      Good place to start: http://www.skateboardingisnotacrime.com/
      Last edited by Salty VW; 02-24-2011 at 11:51 AM.
      [B]-Salty
      Saltywayz | SKE Forums

Vehicles
      MTA
      02-24-2011 12:27 PM #418
      Quote Originally Posted by Salty VW View Post
      Do you usually have problems with cops in your area when you're just cruising? We usually don't here, although back in the day I spent enough time on 4 small wheels to have some pretty crazy cop/security guard stories.

Good place to start: http://www.skateboardingisnotacrime.com/

I've been "invited to leave" a few places by security guards and cops. I live in a pretty uppity, snobby area where I believe the only sports allowed are polo and badminton, so skateboarding or expressing individuality isn't popular.

Visited there yesterday online, but no stickers!

Vehicles
      02-24-2011 12:45 PM #419
      Ah, I getcha.
      [B]-Salty
      Saltywayz | SKE Forums

35. Member
      Vehicles
      02-25-2011 04:52 PM #420
      dude!! manhattan is covered with longboarders. i skated broadway from 155th to bottom of manhattan when i was up there last sept. wasnt in the broadway bomb though.

goin sliding now...weather is perfect.
      dürtydübs
      DBC member #

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast