Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My two tone badge work (sorry 56k)

1. 07-06-2006 01:12 AM #1
      Ok so ive been requested to write this up a couple of times and ive been lazy and not done it but I decided to now so here it is.
      Ok well to get the emblem out I looked around on the threads and found this post
      Quote, originally posted by feuerdog »
      The front emblem -
      Stick your fingers into the emblem, and turn to the left about a 1/8 turn.
      Wiggle down while pulling to undo the tabs that hold it in the grill.
      To seperate the chrome emblem itself from its holder you will have to CAREFULLY pry them apart. I worked each little one way tab out one at a time around the outer edge first, then the center ones.
      If you are careful then the tabs will work at least a few times.
      You do not need to remove the grill to take the front emblem out.

After you get the emblem out, itl look something like this

After I got it out I used my 320 grit sand paper and sanded it down pretty good, until it seemed like I wasn’t getting anymore chrome off of the emblem, it looks like this

Now feuerdog says that you can carefully pry them apart but to be honest, I couldn’t do it to save my life, so I just broke all the outer ones off and saved the middle ones.

After that, I went to my local car shop (autozone maybe?) and bought my paint and sand paper, I got 320 grit and 1000 grit sandpaper. I also got gloves, imo the gloves are very important! Because your finger oils don’t get on the emblem and because paint doesn’t get on ur fingers!!!

then before painting I used the 1000 grit sandpaper and made it really nice and smooth, then I used rubbing alcohol to make sure it was very clean and let it dry while I made my painting stand that was 3 screws in a block of wood that looked like this…

ok, then I used primer, I sprayed it on in 3 coats, kinda light coats, the first one covered about 60% of the entire thing with paint, then wait 15 mins between each application, after your last application, let sit for 30 mins before adding black paint. After primer is added, it will look like this…

finally, after 30+ mins, I used the 1000 grit sand paper and lightly went over the primer to make it smooth. Then I added the black paint. I did 5 or 6 light coats, nothing heavy with a nice sweeping spray to cover the whole area and inside. I let each application sit for about 20 mins before adding another coat. I let the final coat dry for 1 day
      Now for the plastic inside of the emblem, I sanded it a little with the 320 grit and made it smooth with the 1000 grit, it was hard to get in the cracks so just do your best. I put blue painters tape over the part where the now black VW emblem was. then I just directly applied the red paint as best I could to the inside of the plastic, about 3 or 4 coats did it. I let final coat dry for a day.
      After I was all done I used some emblem glue(or calking glue), which I also bought at the local car shop and put it around the outside of the plastic piece where I broke the tabs off.
      Then I snapped the middle tabs in and pushed the rest down firmly and applied pressure.

I let the entire thing sit to allow the paint to set for 3 to 4 days actually, yeah I felt dumb with no emblem but it was worth letting the paint dry! All and all it worked great, but a rock hit and chipped it and now I have to do it over, doh!
      Sorry I didn’t take more pics of the black part or the red plastic part…
      Heres some finished project pics

if you have any questions, feel free to pm me, or instant message me on aim at Labatt Blue35, yeah with a space between labatt and blue but not blue and 35 lol
      also u can find these pics in my pics link in my signature under the file called "emblem mod pics"
      hope this helps some people out!

Modified by gee tea eye V at 1:16 AM 7-6-2006

Modified by gee tea eye V at 6:55 PM 7-6-2006

Vehicles
      2013 MKVI GLI - Manual / 1998 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6 - Manual
      07-06-2006 01:37 AM #2
      thanks man!!!
      i cant read it right now, i have to pick my brother up, but expect some questions soon haha

3. 07-06-2006 01:43 AM #3
      Unique.

4. 07-06-2006 01:47 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by ZoomBy »
      thanks man!!!
      i cant read it right now, i have to pick my brother up, but expect some questions soon haha

haha not a problem man. hope it helps you out [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Quote, originally posted by MiaGTi »
      Unique.

thanks!

Vehicles
      99.5TDI, 92 ABA golf,86 GTi,80 Rabbit truck, 22 model T bucket
      07-06-2006 02:06 AM #5
      That looks sweet!!!
      A few things I would suggest after sitting through a few years of autobody classes...
      proper sanding should jump no more then 2-400 grit at a time.
      Sanding a primer with anything over 320 for a single stage paint and 400 grit for base/clear can cause adhesion problems down the line. 1000 grit should only be used for color sanding after nocking things smooth with a courser grit. You may not see the sanding marks for a few weeks but if you did 100 grit - 1000 grit you will end up with them once the paint/primer cures.
      Just trying to add this helpful info for anyone else attempting paintwork that wants to get a better finish. Awsome mod [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      07-06-2006 02:11 AM #6
      thanks for the right up again, this needs to be added to the FAQ, i think your instructions are pretty self explanitory, im not sure what colors i want to do, i will be getting a white gti shortly
      i was thinking white emblem with red inside (im going to go with a white red and black theme)
      but then i thought maybe just do it the same you did
      then thought of doing it back emblem with white on the insde instead
      hmmmm im going to have to do some photoshopping i thing, but any suggestions?

Vehicles
      1999 BMW 528i Touring
      07-06-2006 02:18 AM #7
      thats very clean.
      "Make it ghetto, make it gangsta."
      -Ron Perlman

8. 07-06-2006 02:30 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by DesuL »
      That looks sweet!!!
      A few things I would suggest after sitting through a few years of autobody classes...
      proper sanding should jump no more then 2-400 grit at a time.
      Sanding a primer with anything over 320 for a single stage paint and 400 grit for base/clear can cause adhesion problems down the line. 1000 grit should only be used for color sanding after nocking things smooth with a courser grit. You may not see the sanding marks for a few weeks but if you did 100 grit - 1000 grit you will end up with them once the paint/primer cures.
      Just trying to add this helpful info for anyone else attempting paintwork that wants to get a better finish. Awsome mod [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

thanx for your insight! i just kinda painted it off a coupld suggestions on sand paper, ive had it on for about 3 weeks and no sanding marks as of yet, maybe its because i used flat black? but i ahve to redo it so maybe ill give that a shot, thanx!
      Quote, originally posted by daviddepin »
      thats very clean.

thanks!

9. 07-06-2006 02:35 AM #9
      thanks for the right up again, this needs to be added to the FAQ, i think your instructions are pretty self explanitory, im not sure what colors i want to do, i will be getting a white gti shortly
      i was thinking white emblem with red inside (im going to go with a white red and black theme)
      but then i thought maybe just do it the same you did
      then thought of doing it back emblem with white on the insde instead
      hmmmm im going to have to do some photoshopping i thing, but any suggestions?

hmm im going with a black and red theme, as u know lol so it was a simple answer for me but white black and red huh? hmm
      well i dunno if a white car and a black and red emblem would look the best, but then ive never seen it. maybe the white and red on the front but then u kinda need some black to go with the theme and i dunno where you would put that on the front, oh wait. the grill is black, maybe the black and red would look good, but then i think the white and red would look gread too.
      i did my rear emblem flat black also, its really easy to get off. and everyone said that i shoulda painted the rest red so it was black and red also but i dont think that woulda looked as great. bu i think it would be cool if u did black on the back emblem but paint the inside of the emblem candy white(if u can find some...) so the black VW standed out a lot, then paint ur GTI badge red and get a 2.0t red badge for the other side, or debadge, i dunno
      well theres some ideas for you to play around with, hope that helps [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

10. 07-06-2006 02:36 AM #10
      I'm not usually a fan of painted badges on the front/rear, but that looks pretty good!

11. 07-06-2006 03:08 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Got_Turbo »
      I'm not usually a fan of painted badges on the front/rear, but that looks pretty good!

excellent! thanks [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2011 BMW M3 Coupe
      07-06-2006 03:10 AM #12
      I've got a white GTI, and I"m thinking maybe the classic blue and white on the rear emblem

13. 07-06-2006 03:12 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by 2ndTimesACharm »
      I've got a white GTI, and I"m thinking maybe the classic blue and white on the rear emblem

mmm yummy...
      i love white with a nice blue, i think its mad sexy, like black and red. for some reason i always loved blue and white or black and red, and sometimes, if its the right blue, then black and blue
      if u paint it, post up some pics, id love to see it!
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '95 GTI VR6 (beat to death, but runs like hell), 2009 Routan SE RSE (nice for now....but my kids...)
      07-06-2006 03:21 AM #14
      Did someone say white and blue?
      I had to show mine off. Simply a MKIV engine cover emblem. But it looks slick on the white.

15. 07-06-2006 03:31 AM #15
      Hurray! white and blue yay! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      wow u really are an audiophiliac, u heard white and blue from accross the thread! crazy!

Vehicles
      07-06-2006 03:39 AM #16
      im thinkin im going to go black emblem with white on the inside, you can find candy white paint from performance-cafe, but im willing to bet any gloss white spray paint will do
      you should do a write up for the rear as well, because thats another thing i want to take care, nice cheap/semi-easy mods :tu:

17. 07-06-2006 11:24 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by Got_Turbo »

x2 on not being a fan but thinks it looks good. Very OEM [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      82 2.0ABA Rabbit , 89/98 Jetta AHU TDI--RIP, 10 GOLF TDI
      07-06-2006 11:34 AM #18
      cool man
      I Diesel!
      I can get CUSTOM EURO PLATES
      37.89 AVG MPG over the life of the car in Germany!

19. 07-06-2006 12:14 PM #19
      that's pretty cool

20. 07-06-2006 01:00 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by the.ronin »
      x2 on not being a fan but thinks it looks good. Very OEM [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Quote, originally posted by projectracerabbit »
      cool man

Quote, originally posted by saceone »
      that's pretty cool

thanks a lot guys!
      im thinkin im going to go black emblem with white on the inside, you can find candy white paint from performance-cafe, but im willing to bet any gloss white spray paint will do
      you should do a write up for the rear as well, because thats another thing i want to take care, nice cheap/semi-easy mods :tu:

the back is really easy, its the same thing with the primer and black, just getting it off is a little different, im going for lunch but when i get back ill explain it.
      i think the black with white will look fantastic

21. 07-06-2006 04:39 PM #21
      is this gunna get added to the DIY?

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      07-06-2006 05:43 PM #22
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

23. 07-06-2006 06:12 PM #23
      score lol

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SEL w/NAV
      07-06-2006 06:28 PM #24
      nice work man, badge looks hot

25. 07-06-2006 06:56 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by heateris »
      nice work man, badge looks hot

thanks!
      EDIT// i used 320 grit sandpaper, sorry i was fixing my chip just now and it was 320 grit sandpaper and 1000 grit sandpaper
      sorry about that

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast