Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: buying a car from Quebec (bringing into Ontario)

1. 07-06-2006 07:57 PM #1
      I'm probably gonna get stuffed into a forum I'm not aware exists, but I'll give it a shot until that happens lol

I'm looking to get a car from quebec and I live in ontario, what do I need to be aware of? is it as simple as a safety check and ownership papers and that's it? or is there some procedure I have to follow before getting it legal?

07-06-2006 08:26 PM #2
      check with your insurance company.

Vehicles
      2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
      07-06-2006 08:26 PM #3
      From here http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq/vehicle.htm
      Quote »
      If you have purchased a new unregistered vehicle/trailer purchased outside Ontario, the following documents are required:

* New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) (if NVIS is not supplied by manufacturer a dealer's certificate of sale/bill of sale or certificate of origin is acceptable)
      * application for registration—completed and signed
      * Vehicle Import Form (only required if the vehicle is purchased outside Canada)
      * insurance information
      * plate portion of the permit, if registrant currently has Ontario licence plates.
      * payment for retail sales tax (if the registrant is exempt from paying retail sales tax then the appropriate supporting documentation is also required)
      * For commercial vehicles and trailers whose empty weight is more than 900 kilograms then an Empty Weight Certificate is required.

I *think* this is the only info that you need. There is a phone number listed on the link, you can always call and ask.

404 - Signature not found

4. 07-06-2006 08:34 PM #4
      oh heck yes, thank you! car lounge comes through again!

I was just on the ministry's site looking for licence info; I need to figure out when I recieved my G, G2, and G1 licences (how the heck should I remember!!)

5. 07-07-2006 02:58 AM #5
      Make sure the car didn't have a US salvage title laundered through the Quebec DMV. Run a carfax on the VIN and account for every single year the car has been in existence. If the car started out in the US, spent a year in Quebec and then ended up in Ontario, run away.