Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 1035 1234511511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: MMA thread (all things mma, pride, ufc) - NO SPOILERS!!

Vehicles
      2009 Audi A4 2.0T
      07-10-2006 10:47 PM #1
      This thread is for fans of the sport. Therefore, if you have feelings of distaste for MMA, please refrain from posting here. Otherwise, all are welcome. If you're going to disagree, do it respectfully.

Also, as the title states..... NO SPOILERS!!!!

Modified by Daniel at 6:05 PM 7-31-2009

2. 07-11-2006 09:31 AM #2
      Good idea.....i was getting ready to start one because i was tired of going back and fourth between threads.

And it would be great (not that it would ever happen) to see Chute Boxe and BTT come over and compete against teams like Miletech/Team Quest/punishment!

Im not sure how many of you guys got a chance to see the IFL a couple of months ago.....but, it was a great idea. Seeing Miletech team with Renzo Gracie's team etc.

Just a thought..but, it is great to see Pride fighters coming over to the UFC for some big fights.

Sylva by knees and elbows to chucks head all day long! But, hey who knows anything can happen in MMA

Modified by dubworld2.0t at 2:37 PM 7-11-2006

3. 07-11-2006 09:43 AM #3
      I've never seen Pride fight. What am I missing...?

As an avid Boxing fan, I have made the switch to UFC lately as it is much more entertaining. I keep hearing the Pride is the best, but I never see them on TV... Is it only PPV?

4. 07-11-2006 09:54 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by cdn20VALVE »
      I've never seen Pride fight. What am I missing...?

As an avid Boxing fan, I have made the switch to UFC lately as it is much more entertaining. I keep hearing the Pride is the best, but I never see them on TV... Is it only PPV?

Yes, its PPV but, you can also see past fights on Comcast Sports Net. They had a show on last night at 12 with past fights....from Rickson Gracie to Mark Hunt vs Cro Cop to Shogun vs Nogueria (which was a great fight!)

You can also go to Google Video and type in MMA and you will get a ton of videos from Pride and UFC. There are also a ton of Highlights also of Sylva and Pride and there other great fighters from Fedor to Cro Cop to the Nog brothers.

Modified by dubworld2.0t at 3:11 PM 7-11-2006

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Z4, Cayenne S
      07-11-2006 11:26 AM #5
      fox sports network also has an hour long show with old pride fc footage. its on randomly though

07-11-2006 11:58 AM #6
      PRIDEFC.COM has a TV listing, two shows were on FOX Sports last night.
      It's all about squats and deads.

07-11-2006 02:11 PM #7
      Now, IF Chuck beats Babalu, will Dana White allow the Chuck/Wandy fight to be for the title? I think it's highly unlikely, although the PRIDE champ beating the UFC champ still would be damaging. THe thought of the November PPV being UFC vs. PRIDE makes me happy. I may have to take a trip down to Vegas. If only we could get Fedor to come over and beat the crap out of Sylvia's dumb a$$.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      07-11-2006 02:18 PM #8
      Nice little article on UFC from ESPN.com here.

9. 07-11-2006 02:31 PM #9
      Honestly i think babalou will take Liddell this time. I hope Chuck doesnt take this fight to lightly after the Sylva announcement. If he is over looking babalou then he is going to make a big mistake.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      07-11-2006 02:39 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by leakypipeDCI »
      PRIDEFC.COM has a TV listing, two shows were on FOX Sports last night.

I watched a couple of fights last night. It doesn't hold a candle to UFC. I am a huge fan of the Octagon. The boxing ring doesn't cut it. The fighters don't appear nearly as skilled either. To top it off Joe Rogan doing color is great. The announcers on UFC are really, really good. Overall it's just a much better production. One day when UFC buys out Pride that will be a really good thing.

07-11-2006 02:59 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Methalius »

I watched a couple of fights last night. It doesn't hold a candle to UFC. I am a huge fan of the Octagon. The boxing ring doesn't cut it. The fighters don't appear nearly as skilled either. To top it off Joe Rogan doing color is great. The announcers on UFC are really, really good. Overall it's just a much better production. One day when UFC buys out Pride that will be a really good thing.

Ummmmm okay.

12. 07-11-2006 03:08 PM #12

Are you serious? I mean i know your intitled to your opinion and thats great. And i understand about the octogon vs ring. I mean compare the rules from Pride and UFC. Id rather see action than someone laying on someone for 5 minutes. But, once you mention skill level then you got my attention. Just curious what fighter or fighters are you comparing in the UFC with all this skill? Then the announcers? Joe Rogan over Bas Rutton?

Sorry, im just curious about the fighters your refering to? Also curious how long you have been watching MMA?

Modified by dubworld2.0t at 8:11 PM 7-11-2006

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      07-11-2006 03:40 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by dubworld2.0t »

Are you serious? I mean i know your intitled to your opinion and thats great. And i understand about the octogon vs ring. I mean compare the rules from Pride and UFC. Id rather see action than someone laying on someone for 5 minutes. But, once you mention skill level then you got my attention. Just curious what fighter or fighters are you comparing in the UFC with all this skill? Then the announcers? Joe Rogan over Bas Rutton?

Sorry, im just curious about the fighters your refering to? Also curious how long you have been watching MMA?

No sweat. I watched the Silva-Fujita fight last night. I was not impressed. I know that Silva has been great in Pride but I believe that Ortiz, Couture, Liddell would all beat him. I like enjoy the striking but it seems that in UFC the fights are fought on the ground more than in Pride. Personally, I like that more.

I saw a fight before the Silva fight. I'm not sure who it was. I'll admit that I might have jumped the gun but based on the fights I saw last night, I'll stick with UFC.

Admittedly I am a new fan of MMA and I have very narrow base of knowledge compared to someone that has been following it for years. I've been following it pretty closely for about a year.

07-11-2006 04:13 PM #14

No sweat. I watched the Silva-Fujita fight last night. I was not impressed. I know that Silva has been great in Pride but I believe that Ortiz, Couture, Liddell would all beat him. I like enjoy the striking but it seems that in UFC the fights are fought on the ground more than in Pride. Personally, I like that more.

I saw a fight before the Silva fight. I'm not sure who it was. I'll admit that I might have jumped the gun but based on the fights I saw last night, I'll stick with UFC.

Admittedly I am a new fan of MMA and I have very narrow base of knowledge compared to someone that has been following it for years. I've been following it pretty closely for about a year.

Wasn't the fight before Silva Nog versus Ferring (sp?) which was won by submission? The best submission guys in the world are in PRIDE. The thing I like most about PRIDE is they keep the action continuously going, the AA/Sylvia match would have never happened the way it did this weekend if it was a PRIDE fight. Plus, PRIDE's classes or so deep. THE OWGP has 8 guys remaining that are worthy of wearing a championship belt. I am a MMA fan in general, but to say PRIDE has less talent is crazy talk.

The Silva fight wasn't the best at showing his talent, but catch some others and you will be impressed.....and welcome to the insanity!

15. 07-11-2006 04:17 PM #15

Well, if you have time definatly go to video google and type in MMA where there are loads of fights and highlights to check out. It will give you a better idea of how Pride and UFC are. Because if you prefer the ground game to stand up then you will love pride....like the Nog brothers. And anybody from BTT. And if you love standup than any fighter from Chute Boxe ie shogun and wandy. And Ortiz already beat Wandy a couple of years ago by decision The funny thing is IMHO UFC does NOT have any great submission fighters. Mainly wrestlers IMHO and strikers more of the ground and pound. Where as you get everything and all round fighters in Pride like Fedor and Nog for example who both will stand and strike and also can submit you in different ways. Which is also the great thing about Prides rules is they wont let a fighther lay there. If there not moving they get the red card. So, when it is on the ground the fighter is allways looking for a submission!

Well, hope you get a chance to check out more Pride if you get a chance.

And if you get a chance to see Sylva fight Vale Tudo then i think that might change your mind about him at least! IMHO he is top 3-5 strikers in the world. A lill bit un-orthodox but definatly effective with his thai clinch and knees and elbows and punching......stomping

Anthony

Modified by dubworld2.0t at 9:20 PM 7-11-2006

16. 07-11-2006 06:04 PM #16
      Now, IF Chuck beats Babalu, will Dana White allow the Chuck/Wandy fight to be for the title?

Yes, the fight is for the UFC LHW title.

17. 07-11-2006 06:16 PM #17

I'm not sure if you're serious or if it's a tongue-in-cheek thing but...

18. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      07-11-2006 07:24 PM #18
      I like UFC's presentation more, I think they do a better job of delivering the up close and personal fight. but I think Pride has better fighters. When I watch PRide I can never "get into it" but I would pick almost any pride fighter over any UFC fighter, especially since most ex-ufc guys go to Japan and get beat. And the ref with the little man sack on in the Pride rings looks funny he he.

Phil Baroni is coming back to the UFC? that guy is RIPPED, but I don't think he is the greatest fighter ever, and I ahte his attitude.

Th(e/a)n

19. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      07-11-2006 10:40 PM #19
      let me also add I like the yellow card in PRIDE, so fighters get docked money if they are not fighting, that would have been nice to have for the recent UFC heavy weight bout. I think all sports should be this way, pro sports that is, if you don't compete to the fullest you lose money
      Th(e/a)n

07-11-2006 11:17 PM #20

http://vidsearch.myspace.com/i...32982

http://vidsearch.myspace.com/i...98132

And remember, Rampage beat Liddell......

07-11-2006 11:25 PM #21
      Also, buy the 2003 PRIDE Middleweight GP DVD.

22. 07-12-2006 05:07 AM #22
      Quote, originally posted by BlckBadged_SwissChee »
      I like UFC's presentation more, I think they do a better job of delivering the up close and personal fight. but I think Pride has better fighters. When I watch PRide I can never "get into it"

Apples and oranges.

UFC PPV's are broadcast live, while Pride events are taped and shown the following day in North America due to time differences.

This is why you will often see an entire Pride fightcard from a 6+ hour long live event in a 2.5 hour PPV timeslot.

The downside is you miss the amazing entrances and opening ceremonies. That's maybe why you can't 'get into it'

In UFC PPV's they talk and talk and talk just to hype the next fight since they have so much dead air to fill during a live show.

23. 07-12-2006 08:22 AM #23

http://vidsearch.myspace.com/i...32982

http://vidsearch.myspace.com/i...98132

And remember, Rampage beat Liddell......

and Sylva beat Rampage twice........so going by MMA math Sylva should beat Liddell........

just curious does anybody know where Ryoto Machida(sp) is fighting? I was really hoping UFC would sign him....to come in and fight Franklin since he beat Franklin a couple of years ago. Ryoto has beaten some top notch fighters and would love to see him fight again.

Anthony

Vehicles
      2009 Audi A4 2.0T
      07-12-2006 08:11 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by dubworld2.0t »

just curious does anybody know where Ryoto Machida(sp) is fighting? I was really hoping UFC would sign him....to come in and fight Franklin since he beat Franklin a couple of years ago. Ryoto has beaten some top notch fighters and would love to see him fight again.

Ryoto is a good fighter, 7-0 with wins against franklin, stephan bonnar, bj penn, and others. I am suprised we havent heard more about him. his last fight was 4-29-06 in Brazil, so it looks like he is there for the time being. I would definitely love to see more of this guy...

Ryoto is Franklins only loss...

Modified by TapOut12 at 6:12 PM 7-12-2006

25. Banned
      Vehicles
      e36 m3, 95 z28
      07-12-2006 10:12 PM #25
      pride is so much better, and it is for only one BIG reason.

the ref's aren't GINERS. the ufc ref's are way too cautious and call fights at the drop of a hat.

at least for the most part pride lets their guys fight. i've seen bouts where one guy can barely stand and they let them go, and sometimes the wobbly guy ends up winning!

26. Member
      Vehicles
      Z4, Cayenne S
      07-13-2006 08:53 AM #26
      any one see the ufc ultimate knockouts last night?
      some good ones there for sure.
      Quote, originally posted by quinntendopower1 »
      pride is so much better, and it is for only one BIG reason.

the ref's aren't GINERS. the ufc ref's are way too cautious and call fights at the drop of a hat.

at least for the most part pride lets their guys fight. i've seen bouts where one guy can barely stand and they let them go, and sometimes the wobbly guy ends up winning!

i think ufc had to adopt a slightly more cautious ref approach just to get licensed and be able to hold competitions. but i am not sure

27. 07-13-2006 09:23 AM #27
      I just went on sherdog and saw that Ryoto Machida is fighting in a new organization called WFA i think....along with Rampage, Bas Rutton, Kimo, Matt Lindland, Ivan Salavary, Ricco Rodriguez, etc. Not a bad line up if you ask me

These guys are all fighting on July 22nd!!!

07-13-2006 03:16 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by CTAC2003 »
      any one see the ufc ultimate knockouts last night?
      some good ones there for sure.

i think ufc had to adopt a slightly more cautious ref approach just to get licensed and be able to hold competitions. but i am not sure

Knockouts was pretty good. Wandy had three in the top 50. although they showed too much boxing.

And yes, that is exactly why the UFC had to tame it down. I guess they were sick of holding events outside the US and decided to do something about it.

29. Banned
      Vehicles
      e36 m3, 95 z28
      07-13-2006 04:40 PM #29
      herb dean is my biggest problem.

the shamrock fight the other night was proof of that. he was getting beaten, but he was still thinking you could obviously see that.

i think tito ortiz would beat him anyday anyway but it was still BS.

If Fedor Emelianenko comes over to UFC it's all over. the guy has no sense of humor and doesn't say much. he destroys everyone in his way.

when he gets hit or taken down it just makes him more angry. i didn't know about him until a month or two ago, but after seeing most of his fights, i don't see anyone beating him.

30. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      07-13-2006 04:52 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by quinntendopower1 »

If Fedor Emelianenko comes over to UFC it's all over. the guy has no sense of humor and doesn't say much. he destroys everyone in his way.

when he gets hit or taken down it just makes him more angry. i didn't know about him until a month or two ago, but after seeing most of his fights, i don't see anyone beating him.

The Fedor M. vs. Cro-Cop fight was awesome, I saw it on a replay on FSN. Mostly because those guys both try to break opponents faces, and are both pretty quick.

And that James Thompson guy is HUGE.

Th(e/a)n

07-17-2006 12:38 AM #31
      Re-watched the Liddell-Horn fight from last year's UFC 54 on FSN today. Anyone that doubts Chuck's striking ability needs to watch this fight and see the punishment Chuck deals out.

32. 07-17-2006 08:47 AM #32
      Re-watched the Liddell-Horn fight from last year's UFC 54 on FSN today. Anyone that doubts Chuck's striking ability needs to watch this fight and see the punishment Chuck deals out.

I dont think anybody doubts chucks stand up at all. I think chuck has got great one punch knockout's. But, Chuck seems to be a counter puncher who likes to punch at a certain distance. Sylva loves the clinch which will take away Chucks distance. Sylva also loves to bang in the clinch with knees and elbows and punches. So, im going to have to give this fight to Sylva. Chuck doesnt do to well with pressure and a whole lot of aggression.....see Chuck vs Rampage. THis will be a great standup fight and will not see the ground.

And there is no way anybody can compare Horn to Sylva. Your talkin 2 totally different fighters.....Horn is a great BJJ guy with submissions....and Sylva is just crazy

Modified by dubworld2.0t at 1:50 PM 7-17-2006

07-17-2006 11:46 AM #33
      I am not saying Horn is in the same league as Wandy, not even close. It will be a great fight with Chuck's standup vs. Wandy's Thai clinch. There are those out there that say Chuck isn't a good striker, but gets lucky, not necessarily on this board, but they are out there.

34. 07-17-2006 11:52 AM #34
      I am not saying Horn is in the same league as Wandy, not even close. It will be a great fight with Chuck's standup vs. Wandy's Thai clinch. There are those out there that say Chuck isn't a good striker, but gets lucky, not necessarily on this board, but they are out there.

I totally agree i think he is a great striker....just very unorthodox like Wandy in a way. I wouldnt call chuck a very technical striker like lets say Vitor Belfort.......Chuck has those looping punches that nobody see's coming. The only person i saw Chuck really strike against was Ortiz. But, when you watch his Randleman fight or Couture and Vernon White (i think?) All those knockouts were like looping quick punches or even jabs allmost

But, he definatly out striked Horn.....who to me is not considered a striker.

But, i cant wait to see this fight.......but, i think Liddell has enough problems coming up with Babalu. Im actually going to say babalu will take Liddell.

07-17-2006 12:49 PM #35
      Liddell also holds his hand closer to his waist, which produces punches from weird angles that are hard to see coming. Babalu will definitely be a tough fight for him as well. Another thing I noticed was how much punishment Horn took and the fight continued, as compared to the Ortiz/Shamrock debacle.

I am still trying to figure out what UFC can gain from this fight other than the highest PPV buy-rate ever, if Chuck loses I see it as a big blow to the status of UFC. PRIDE has everything to gain.

Page 1 of 1035 1234511511015011001 ... LastLast