Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 1456 FirstFirst 12345612521025021002 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: MMA thread (all things mma, pride, ufc) - NO SPOILERS!!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Z4, Cayenne S
      07-13-2006 08:53 AM #26
      any one see the ufc ultimate knockouts last night?
      some good ones there for sure.
      Quote, originally posted by quinntendopower1 »
      pride is so much better, and it is for only one BIG reason.
      the ref's aren't GINERS. the ufc ref's are way too cautious and call fights at the drop of a hat.
      at least for the most part pride lets their guys fight. i've seen bouts where one guy can barely stand and they let them go, and sometimes the wobbly guy ends up winning!

i think ufc had to adopt a slightly more cautious ref approach just to get licensed and be able to hold competitions. but i am not sure

2. 07-13-2006 09:23 AM #27
      I just went on sherdog and saw that Ryoto Machida is fighting in a new organization called WFA i think....along with Rampage, Bas Rutton, Kimo, Matt Lindland, Ivan Salavary, Ricco Rodriguez, etc. Not a bad line up if you ask me [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      These guys are all fighting on July 22nd!!!

07-13-2006 03:16 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by CTAC2003 »
      any one see the ufc ultimate knockouts last night?
      some good ones there for sure.
      i think ufc had to adopt a slightly more cautious ref approach just to get licensed and be able to hold competitions. but i am not sure

Knockouts was pretty good. Wandy had three in the top 50. although they showed too much boxing.
      And yes, that is exactly why the UFC had to tame it down. I guess they were sick of holding events outside the US and decided to do something about it.
      It's all about squats and deads.

4. Banned
      Vehicles
      e36 m3, 95 z28
      07-13-2006 04:40 PM #29
      herb dean is my biggest problem.
      the shamrock fight the other night was proof of that. he was getting beaten, but he was still thinking you could obviously see that.
      i think tito ortiz would beat him anyday anyway but it was still BS.
      If Fedor Emelianenko comes over to UFC it's all over. the guy has no sense of humor and doesn't say much. he destroys everyone in his way.
      when he gets hit or taken down it just makes him more angry. i didn't know about him until a month or two ago, but after seeing most of his fights, i don't see anyone beating him.

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      07-13-2006 04:52 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by quinntendopower1 »
      If Fedor Emelianenko comes over to UFC it's all over. the guy has no sense of humor and doesn't say much. he destroys everyone in his way.
      when he gets hit or taken down it just makes him more angry. i didn't know about him until a month or two ago, but after seeing most of his fights, i don't see anyone beating him.

The Fedor M. vs. Cro-Cop fight was awesome, I saw it on a replay on FSN. Mostly because those guys both try to break opponents faces, and are both pretty quick.
      And that James Thompson guy is HUGE.
      Th(e/a)n

07-17-2006 12:38 AM #31
      Re-watched the Liddell-Horn fight from last year's UFC 54 on FSN today. Anyone that doubts Chuck's striking ability needs to watch this fight and see the punishment Chuck deals out.

7. 07-17-2006 08:47 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by leakypipeDCI »
      Re-watched the Liddell-Horn fight from last year's UFC 54 on FSN today. Anyone that doubts Chuck's striking ability needs to watch this fight and see the punishment Chuck deals out.

I dont think anybody doubts chucks stand up at all. I think chuck has got great one punch knockout's. But, Chuck seems to be a counter puncher who likes to punch at a certain distance. Sylva loves the clinch which will take away Chucks distance. Sylva also loves to bang in the clinch with knees and elbows and punches. So, im going to have to give this fight to Sylva. Chuck doesnt do to well with pressure and a whole lot of aggression.....see Chuck vs Rampage. THis will be a great standup fight and will not see the ground.
      And there is no way anybody can compare Horn to Sylva. Your talkin 2 totally different fighters.....Horn is a great BJJ guy with submissions....and Sylva is just crazy [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by dubworld2.0t at 1:50 PM 7-17-2006

07-17-2006 11:46 AM #33
      I am not saying Horn is in the same league as Wandy, not even close. It will be a great fight with Chuck's standup vs. Wandy's Thai clinch. There are those out there that say Chuck isn't a good striker, but gets lucky, not necessarily on this board, but they are out there.

9. 07-17-2006 11:52 AM #34
      I am not saying Horn is in the same league as Wandy, not even close. It will be a great fight with Chuck's standup vs. Wandy's Thai clinch. There are those out there that say Chuck isn't a good striker, but gets lucky, not necessarily on this board, but they are out there.

I totally agree i think he is a great striker....just very unorthodox like Wandy in a way. I wouldnt call chuck a very technical striker like lets say Vitor Belfort.......Chuck has those looping punches that nobody see's coming. The only person i saw Chuck really strike against was Ortiz. But, when you watch his Randleman fight or Couture and Vernon White (i think?) All those knockouts were like looping quick punches or even jabs allmost [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      But, he definatly out striked Horn.....who to me is not considered a striker.
      But, i cant wait to see this fight.......but, i think Liddell has enough problems coming up with Babalu. Im actually going to say babalu will take Liddell. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

07-17-2006 12:49 PM #35
      Liddell also holds his hand closer to his waist, which produces punches from weird angles that are hard to see coming. Babalu will definitely be a tough fight for him as well. Another thing I noticed was how much punishment Horn took and the fight continued, as compared to the Ortiz/Shamrock debacle.
      I am still trying to figure out what UFC can gain from this fight other than the highest PPV buy-rate ever, if Chuck loses I see it as a big blow to the status of UFC. PRIDE has everything to gain.

11. 07-17-2006 01:04 PM #36
      Liddell also holds his hand closer to his waist, which produces punches from weird angles that are hard to see coming. Babalu will definitely be a tough fight for him as well. Another thing I noticed was how much punishment Horn took and the fight continued, as compared to the Ortiz/Shamrock debacle.
      I am still trying to figure out what UFC can gain from this fight other than the highest PPV buy-rate ever, if Chuck loses I see it as a big blow to the status of UFC. PRIDE has everything to gain.

I think Babalu will take it to chuck this time. Thats the greatest thing about MMA is anything can happen....like the kick to babalu's head by chuck! I know Chuck has great take down defense and people like Couture had problems keeping Chuck down. But, im hoping babalu will take this fight to the ground.....so we can all see what chuck can do. Babalu is a great well rounded fighter and i think it will be a great fight.
      And i agree that im not sure why UFC is taking this fight other than try to prove something to Pride fans. And i dont think it was a good idea on pride to have Baroni and fujita represent them. I would love to see Fedor expose Sylvia for what he really is......and shoot even would love to see Shogun and the Nog brothers come over and fight. And with Pride getting dropped by Fuji TV i think this might open up alot of things for Pride. Maybe even a merger of somewhat with UFC. IMHO it would be awesome to have fights in the cage with Pride rules and not UFC rules. The only thing is they wouldnt be able to fight in the US. And after watching the IFL i have come to like the team concept. It would be awesome to see teams like Chute Boxe, Team Quest, MFS, ATT, BTT camps compete against each other.
      I cant imagine Liddell having to fight Shogun or Lill Nog.....they both love to trade punches!

Modified by dubworld2.0t at 8:16 PM 7-17-2006

12. 07-17-2006 07:28 PM #37
      This thread has been a long time coming
      I'm really beginning to believe the Iceman vs. Axe Murderer fight will not happen. At least not so soon. Everyone keeps talking about Babalu, but lets not forget Wanderlei has to get through the OWGP Finals as well. The odds of both of these Fighters coming out unscathed is very small.
      Also just announced: Griffin vs. Bonnar II for UFC 62

Vehicles
      2009 Audi A4 2.0T
      07-17-2006 08:15 PM #38
      Quote, originally posted by BlackGTiTurbo »
      Also just announced: Griffin vs. Bonnar II for UFC 62

saw that. definitely looking forward to it too.... [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

14. 07-17-2006 10:20 PM #39
      Pride Final Conflict Absolute Sept. 10th card:
      Wanderlei Silva vs. Mirko Cro Cop
      Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Josh Barnett
      Not sure if the Final Fight is the same night, however Silva must at the very least get through Cro Cop relatively unharmed in order to face Liddell. Cro Cop in many eyes is a MUCH tougher challenge than The Iceman. I hope everything works out, but as I said the odds are very slim.
      I also think too that Silva REALLY wants Chuck. He wants to show the US audience that Pride is King BAD. So even if he escapes Cro Cop with 'only' moderate injuries I think Silva will still take on Liddell.
      Either way, this is a must see PPV Event.

07-18-2006 02:10 AM #40
      Yeah Wandy has a very tough schedule ahead of him, three big fights in three months.
      There was an article on Sherdog about what both the UFC and PRIDE have to gain and have to lose with this fight. Basically, UFC has tons to lose and almost nothing to gain, other than one big paycheck. PRIDE will definitely benefit from this fight even if he loses. Yahoo search hits went up like 450% for the words "Wanderlei Silva" the day after UFC 61. Hello USA.

16. 07-18-2006 08:07 AM #41
      Thats the one thing i love about Wandy is that he just loves to fight. I have never seen a fighter in Pride stomp someone's face in and just smile about it
      And you have to give him tons of respect for being where he is in his career. Especially with the OWGP and the caliber fighters he has to face. All in about 3 months.....i cant think of any fighter that will do what he will do the next 3 months.....ever. And it will be tough for him to get through the GP without injury. BUT.....he is a bit crazy and i do see him fighting Chuck still with or without injury.
      I mean come on he has to face Cro Cop next.......Wandy will have a sore body and legs after CroCop's brutal kicks.

17. 07-18-2006 12:39 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by BlackGTiTurbo »
      Pride Final Conflict Absolute Sept. 10th card:
      Wanderlei Silva vs. Mirko Cro Cop
      Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Josh Barnett
      Not sure if the Final Fight is the same night, however Silva must at the very least get through Cro Cop relatively unharmed in order to face Liddell. Cro Cop in many eyes is a MUCH tougher challenge than The Iceman. I hope everything works out, but as I said the odds are very slim.
      I also think too that Silva REALLY wants Chuck. He wants to show the US audience that Pride is King BAD. So even if he escapes Cro Cop with 'only' moderate injuries I think Silva will still take on Liddell.
      Either way, this is a must see PPV Event.

Yes the final fight will occur that same night.

18. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      07-18-2006 01:22 PM #43
      Some fights I want to see, hopefully the UFC will fulfill
      Lidell vs. Griffin (after Lidell's next two, hopefulyl two, fights)
      GSP vs. Matt Hughes 2
      Diego Sanchez vs. Spencer Fisher
      Josh Neer vs. Nick Diaz
      Does anyone know why Diego Sanchez fights ike once a year? Other than his last fight, he seemed to almost dominate everyone, I hope he someday soon gets a big fight.
      Th(e/a)n

19. 07-18-2006 02:47 PM #44
      Quote, originally posted by BlckBadged_SwissChee »
      Some fights I want to see, hopefully the UFC will fulfill
      Lidell vs. Griffin (after Lidell's next two, hopefulyl two, fights)
      GSP vs. Matt Hughes 2
      Diego Sanchez vs. Spencer Fisher
      Josh Neer vs. Nick Diaz
      Does anyone know why Diego Sanchez fights ike once a year? Other than his last fight, he seemed to almost dominate everyone, I hope he someday soon gets a big fight.

The only big UFC fight i would love to see besides the Liddell vs. babalu is GSP vs. Hughes! I would love to see GSP take the belt from Matt. He dominated the first fight and then Bam....arm bar by hughes!
      I would also love to see Franklin vs. Anderson Sylva......that would be a great stand up fight.
      I do have to admitt that i like Diego Sanchez and think he would rock Spencer Fisher on the ground.
      Other than that there isnt anybody else i really want o watch fight in the UFC. It seem the UFC has been working hard to show the TUF guys off the past year. Which might be why the champs like Hughes and Franklin and Liddell havent fought in like 12 months. The only TUF guy i like is Bisping because he is the only one that i think has true MMA talent with his standup and ground game.
      And with the UFC playing out Ortiz and Shamrock and Sylvia and AA it seems the last 2 UFC's were rematches. Id rather see other fighters than watch the same boring fighters over and over again.
      JMHO
      Anthony

20. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      07-18-2006 04:54 PM #45
      Quote, originally posted by dubworld2.0t »
      I would also love to see Franklin vs. Anderson Sylva......that would be a great stand up fight.

I agree 100%, but I was not sure if Anderson Sylva is in the UFC now or not. I tried to make my match ups with guys I knew fight regularly in the UFC, and since I don't know PRIDE all that well, but if PRIDE fighters are an option, tons of match ups there.
      Quote, originally posted by dubworld2.0t »
      I do have to admitt that i like Diego Sanchez and think he would rock Spencer Fisher on the ground.

Sanchez is a good fighter, he is just dumb as a rock. And I would much rather see Sanchez fight Hughes, but everyone says it is too soon, so I kept my match up in the realm of possibility.
      If I had it my way, Sanchez would fight BJ Penn, then GSP then Hughes, I am tired of the UFC babying his undefeated record for him.
      Th(e/a)n

21. 07-18-2006 09:26 PM #46
      I'm definitely a fan of Karo's and honestly, Diego really needs to lose one here. Karo has only lost to two people; Sean Sherk twice (1 dec. 1 TKO) and GSP once (dec.). I have to think that Diego would not be able to take GSP or Sean Sherk to a decision. I respect his game, but I really believe he needs to lose one to make him work that much harder, then he will become a real force.
      Also, I believe Anderson Silva did sign a short-term contract with the UFC. He hasn't fought in Pride since 2004 (sub loss to Ryo Chanon). He just may be the guy to take out Franklin, as Rich has shown to have a open and weak chin (although he recovers quicker than probably anyone). With Silva being such an accurate striker, who knows?
      The two are 'rumored' to be fighting at UFC 64 on October 14th.
      Mark your calenders for August 27th (tape delayed from 8/26); FSN will be televising the Pride Bushido GP Round 2 for FREE!!!

22. 07-19-2006 07:50 AM #47
      Anderson signed to UFC about a month ago! His first fight was with Chris Leben......Anderson KO himin the first round in about a minute. It was a great fight quick fight for Anderson where he showed of his striking. Right know in the UFC i think he is the only competition for Franklin....and honestly the best matchup because both are strikers.
      I also think Sanchez IMHO has some of the best GnP in the UFC.....and also he is VERY good in sumbission. Kayro (the heat) Perision is also a great Judo practitioner and has great take downs. I think once he works on his stand up technically and work on his conditioning & submissions he will be a force to deal with.
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

23. 07-19-2006 08:09 AM #48
      http://vidsearch.myspace.com/i...32982
      http://vidsearch.myspace.com/i...98132
      And remember, Rampage beat Liddell......

yes, very true...liddell was also out of his element fighting in a boxing ring. if ur comparing who beat who remember, ortiz beat wandy and liddell beat ortiz. if liddell keeps it stand up against wandy, i think he's going to get ate up....i think his best bet is to put body on wandy, take him down and go for g&p. i can't wait

24. 07-19-2006 09:06 AM #49
      Quote, originally posted by Ddubb9965 »
      yes, very true...liddell was also out of his element fighting in a boxing ring. if ur comparing who beat who remember, ortiz beat wandy and liddell beat ortiz. if liddell keeps it stand up against wandy, i think he's going to get ate up....i think his best bet is to put body on wandy, take him down and go for g&p. i can't wait

I agree with you that the only chance Liddell might hace is on the ground. I just dont think Liddell has the ground skills......accept that he can avoid getting taken down. I cant remember a fight where he was even on the ground? And i have only seen a few fights where Wandy even tried to take someone to the ground...Wandy seems to be decent on the ground from the few times i have seen him there......he would rather stomp someones head in on the ground!
      And i think Wandy is comfortable also on his back ......and is very active on his back (Pride Rules makes a difference). And he also keeps a vry tight guard on his back....and still swings. I just dont see this going to the ground at all.
      I think this will be one of the best stand-up fights in a long time!
      And as much as i want Sylva to KTFO Liddell.....its MMA and it only takes 1 punch! I just hope both fighters come in healthy...since Chuck has babalu to get thorugh first and Wandy has the OWGP.

25. 07-19-2006 11:30 AM #50
      lol i'm just the opposite, i love the ufc....i'm not going to argue that pride has more skilled fighters...and the ufc's lightheavy weight and heavyweight division is going south...i still have to play favorites and keep my fingers crossed for silva to get ktfo. liddell just has to watch out for the knees, as dangerous as liddell is with his knees, silva will eat him up.
      and to be honest, imo...after seeing tito actually turn his back and run away from silva the one time in the octagon, tito should not have one that decision....i'm all about self preservation and don't stand up when they're right in ur face, don't turn your back and run

Page 2 of 1456 FirstFirst 12345612521025021002 ... LastLast