Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 1455 FirstFirst 123456713531035031003 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: MMA thread (all things mma, pride, ufc) - NO SPOILERS!!

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      07-20-2006 10:57 PM #51
      Ok, so I saw this show on MTV called "Final Fu" is about people doing challenges and fights in "Karate". The show blows, but it brought a question about.
      What do you think of Karate?
      Let me give my opinion, as a form of fighting it is a joke, unless you are talking Bruce Lee, Jet Le, etc. But I think Karate is great for discipline, especially in youngsters. I was in Karate when I was little and if nothing else it tought me to respect those who deserve it and have earned it.

The show was funny though, they tried to make it all TUF like hehehe
      Th(e/a)n

2. 07-21-2006 08:40 AM #52
      Quote, originally posted by BlckBadged_SwissChee »
      Ok, so I saw this show on MTV called "Final Fu" is about people doing challenges and fights in "Karate". The show blows, but it brought a question about.
      Let me give my opinion, as a form of fighting it is a joke, unless you are talking Bruce Lee, Jet Le, etc. But I think Karate is great for discipline, especially in youngsters. I was in Karate when I was little and if nothing else it tought me to respect those who deserve it and have earned it.

The show was funny though, they tried to make it all TUF like hehehe

The show was funny.......all i saw was flying kicks and punches to the chest? It looked more like a dance routine in a way.
      But, i do agree with you as far as karate and what it can teach kids.

Vehicles
      2009 Audi A4 2.0T
      07-23-2006 08:25 PM #53
      if anyone finds the videos of the ricco or bas fights from that WFA event last night on youtube or any other sites, post em up. i cant find em yet....

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 1.8t GTI - K04-022
      07-24-2006 02:18 AM #54
      BAS is back.... check out dailymotion.com
      low leg kicks by bas...

Well depends on which type/style of karate.
      If you're looking for more real life aspect of being able to throw punches as well as defend take downs and take someone down... look for kyokushin karate...it's full contact though...which is good b/c it teaches you how to... well...take punches and not be afraid to step in the pocket if need to and throw some and take somebody down if you ever get in to a schuffle...
      For self-defense purposes... for any type of real life situation...try taking a litle muay thai and jujitsu, and boxing... it can go a long way.... or take the bas rutten way in self-defense...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiEsktRiCXo

Modified by bmxp at 11:30 PM 7-23-2006

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      07-24-2006 12:39 PM #55
      What is the date/card info for the next UFC event....I've been out of the loop since early July. TIA
      1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      07-24-2006 01:19 PM #56
      Quote, originally posted by beng »
      What is the date/card info for the next UFC event....I've been out of the loop since early July. TIA

August 26th.
      I thought Dana White said they had 12 planned for this year ???? and they skipped June didn't they? I wonder if he couldn't get everything scheduled?
      Is anyone else sick of the Celeb Cameo's at the events? When they interviewed that one Wayan brother who said he was a "HUGE fan" but didn't know either fighters name I wanted to choke him.
      Th(e/a)n

7. 07-24-2006 03:14 PM #57
      August 26th.
      I thought Dana White said they had 12 planned for this year ???? and they skipped June didn't they? I wonder if he couldn't get everything scheduled?
      Is anyone else sick of the Celeb Cameo's at the events? When they interviewed that one Wayan brother who said he was a "HUGE fan" but didn't know either fighters name I wanted to choke him.

Wayan Bro by RNC

8. 07-24-2006 04:36 PM #58
      I wanted to choke him.

maybe you should sit the next few ufc events out...maybe see a councelor...maybe bite a pillow or something

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      07-24-2006 04:40 PM #59
      Quote, originally posted by Ddubb9965 »
      maybe you should sit the next few ufc events out...maybe see a councelor...maybe bite a pillow or something

Well then let me rephrase my post. I am irritated that celebs get octagon side seats, and do not follow the sport, or know much about it, only to to get PR points. But this happens in all sports, and I am by no means an MMA expert. But when someone says
      "Oh yea I am a huge fan"
      then says
      "Mark Hughes is tough but I don't know if he can take Roy-ce Gracie" then you know they don't follow much [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      "Maybe you should sit the next few plays out champ" (from Anchorman)
      Th(e/a)n

10. 07-24-2006 04:47 PM #60
      hey...i don't know every single person going in the octagon but i promise if i could afford 700+ bucks for one ticket i would be there looking like a retard right beside him.

11. 07-24-2006 05:03 PM #61
      "Oh yea I am a huge fan"
      then says
      "Mark Hughes is tough but I don't know if he can take Roy-ce Gracie" then you know they don't follow much [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

IMHO most of the new post TUF series / new UFC fans dont know much about UFC/PRide/MMA anyway. Most of the new UFC fans dont know anything about MMA. All they know is Chuck Liddell and Tim Sylvia and Matt hughes and Rich Frainklin and the TUF fighters. And know nothing about Fedor, Nog Brothers, Shogun, Ninja, Wandy, Rampage, Gomi, Kid, Chute Boxe, BTT, Arona, Sakuraba, Cro Cop, Mark Hunt etc. I take nothing away from any UFC fighter or the UFC i love watching it. But, the new UFC fan has no idea about any other fighters other than the UFC fighters. Granted the TUF series have brought in all these new fans which is awesome for the sport. But, UFC please show the fans more fights other than Sylvia, AA and Ortiz and Shamrock and Hughes, TUF. Am i the only one who is tired of seeing the same fighters on Spike?
      What im saying is IMHO i think the talent of the new fighters in the UFC seems to be dropping.
      Granted UFC still has GSP, Penn, Vera, the Crow, Jens Pulver (i think signed back with UFC), Diego Sanchez, Bisping, and yes finally Anderson Silva. And i cant wait to see more of these fighters fight. But, Dana White is hangin on to Hughes, Franklin and Sylvia.
      Vera > Sylvia
      GSP > Hughes
      Silva > Franklin
      Im hoping these fights will all happen in the next 12 months!
      ohh yeah
      Babalu > Liddell
      Wandy > Liddell
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

12. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      07-24-2006 05:56 PM #62
      Quote, originally posted by dubworld2.0t »
      IMHO most of the new post TUF series / new UFC fans dont know much about UFC/PRide/MMA anyway. Most of the new UFC fans dont know anything about MMA. All they know is Chuck Liddell and Tim Sylvia and Matt hughes and Rich Frainklin and the TUF fighters. And know nothing about Fedor, Nog Brothers, Shogun, Ninja, Wandy, Rampage, Gomi, Kid, Chute Boxe, BTT, Arona, Sakuraba, Cro Cop, Mark Hunt etc. I take nothing away from any UFC fighter or the UFC i love watching it. But, the new UFC fan has no idea about any other fighters other than the UFC fighters. Granted the TUF series have brought in all these new fans which is awesome for the sport. But, UFC please show the fans more fights other than Sylvia, AA and Ortiz and Shamrock and Hughes, TUF. Am i the only one who is tired of seeing the same fighters on Spike?
      What im saying is IMHO i think the talent of the new fighters in the UFC seems to be dropping.
      Granted UFC still has GSP, Penn, Vera, the Crow, Jens Pulver (i think signed back with UFC), Diego Sanchez, Bisping, and yes finally Anderson Silva. And i cant wait to see more of these fighters fight. But, Dana White is hangin on to Hughes, Franklin and Sylvia.
      Vera > Sylvia
      GSP > Hughes
      Silva > Franklin
      Im hoping these fights will all happen in the next 12 months!
      ohh yeah
      Babalu > Liddell
      Wandy > Liddell

I like your fight selections, and I agree a lot of the new fans (I would consider myself partially one, even though I have always followed the UFC) only know of fighters post TUF, but Old UFC and new UFC almost seem like two different worlds. I mean it used to be "underground" not on US soil, and guys actually fought (very few rules), and for a while, more than once in a night.
      I like that it is more readily available now, but at the same time, more and more fights seem to be won by techinicalities or premature stoppages. I understand fighter safety is a concern, but they CHOSE to fight, and should expect the worst. If a fighter is out then the fight should be stopped by all means, but if they had just let the Shamrock vs. Ortix fight go on, we would probably have a controversy free winner. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Th(e/a)n

13. 07-25-2006 08:25 AM #63
      I like your fight selections, and I agree a lot of the new fans (I would consider myself partially one, even though I have always followed the UFC) only know of fighters post TUF, but Old UFC and new UFC almost seem like two different worlds. I mean it used to be "underground" not on US soil, and guys actually fought (very few rules), and for a while, more than once in a night.
      I like that it is more readily available now, but at the same time, more and more fights seem to be won by techinicalities or premature stoppages. I understand fighter safety is a concern, but they CHOSE to fight, and should expect the worst. If a fighter is out then the fight should be stopped by all means, but if they had just let the Shamrock vs. Ortix fight go on, we would probably have a controversy free winner. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

I totally agree about the fights being won by early stoppages and tecnicalities. I do feel with the UFC for them to fight and with all the new rules its one of those things they have to do to fight in the US. If it wasnt for the new rules of the UFC they would NOT be aloud to fight. Honestly the smartest thing they have ever done was get with the fight commision in vegas and ask "what do we need to do to fight in the US again?"
      Which is one more reason why i like Pride so much better is because of the rules difference. Even with Pancrase and Vale Tudo those fighters dont even wear gloves (bare nuckle) with different set of rules (i think).
      Yeah both orgs number 1 priority is fighter safety. But, yeah fighters know what there getting into!
      Even though i know the UFC will never be able to bring back some of the old rules.....like stomp to the face ex. see wandy and shogun fights! But, with the UFC rules it seems allmost in a way that the fights have slowed down a bit?
      I went on Google Video last night and did a did search under MMA and there were tons of fights and highlights of UFC and Pride fights. And i watched a ton of them and there was a huge difference between both orgs.

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      07-25-2006 09:11 AM #64
      GSP > Hughes

How do you figure?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

15. 07-25-2006 09:42 AM #65
      How do you figure?

Did you watch the first fight?
      GSP dominated the ENTIRE fight untill the last 30 seconds when Huges got GSP to the ground then the last 5 seconds when Huges did the sickest Armbar on GSP.
      I think GSP is an all around better fighter than huges and will take it to him in the rematch. Hughes cant stand with GSP with his striking.....and with GSP's ground game and sprawls/take down defense Hughes was lost.
      I do not take anything away from Huges.....he is one of my fav. fighters to watch. But, i think GSP is going to be the one to take his belt. JMHO.
      Then after GSP takes the belt i am hoping for a rematch with BJ Penn. That should be another great fight!

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      07-25-2006 10:08 AM #66
      I love GSP, and yes I watched the fight. I get a kick out of it when the argument is...."he was dominating that fight, until he lost"...point is, he lost, he lost convincingly to one of the most quickly executed arm bars I've ever seen. Not too mention GSP's fight against BJ Penn wasnt too impressive. Hughes is my favorite fighter in the UFC...and until GSP defeats him, you cant say GSP>Hughes.

17. 07-25-2006 10:21 AM #67
      I love GSP, and yes I watched the fight. I get a kick out of it when the argument is...."he was dominating that fight, until he lost"...point is, he lost, he lost convincingly to one of the most quickly executed arm bars I've ever seen. Not too mention GSP's fight against BJ Penn wasnt too impressive. Hughes is my favorite fighter in the UFC...and until GSP defeats him, you cant say GSP>Hughes.

I totally agree GSP lost to the arm bar. And YES GSP was dominating the whole fight. There is no argument there please re-watch the fight again. Like i said i like Hughes and think he has been an awesome champion. And why cant i say GSP > hughes? Thats my opinion.....and im sticking to it
      And yes GSP and Penn wasnt a great fight.....but, i do think the rematch (if it happens) has the potential to be a great fight. Penn and GSP are two of the most well rounded fighters that the UFC have right know.
      Hughes has been a very dominating fighter and one of my favs. in the UFC. He is a great wrestler/grappler and one of the best GnP's in the UFC and MMA for that matter. And has learned alot of submissions the past couple of years (Triggx2, Riggs and GSP).
      But, IMHO GSP is just a bad match up for hughes.

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      07-25-2006 10:31 AM #68
      But, IMHO GSP is just a bad match up for hughes.

That, I do agree with. I'm dying to see a rematch. ...and if GSP takes that fight.
      I'll say GSP>Hughes.

19. 07-25-2006 10:49 AM #69
      There are not many big fights that i am dying to see in the UFC.....but, besides Liddell and Sobral (Babalu) & Liddell and Sylva......GSP and Hughes is the only other big fight that i want to see. As far as confirmed set fights.
      And i would also love to see BJ Penn fight both GSP and Hughes no matter what happens between GSP and HUghes.
      Anderson Sylva (Chute Boxe) i would love to see fight Franklin for the title. But, i think Dana White will give Anderson a couple of more fights before he gets Franklin.
      And what is up with the UFC HW division? The only bright star is Brandon Vera in that division. I think it would be a good test for Vera to get AA before he gets a title shot. Because if he can take AA out he will definatly prove to Dana that he is ready.
      But, who knows anything can happen in the UFC/Dana White.

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      07-25-2006 11:06 AM #70
      The UFC HW division is pretty weak right now...I think they expected AA to keep walking through opponents, and now that he's lost, there isnt a clear superstar to carry that weight class. Silvia doesnt have the "star power" that AA has/had. They also thought Mir would step up into the mix, but he's fought like **** since his return from the accident. The other weight classes are much more interesting right now.

21. 07-25-2006 11:14 AM #71
      Your right about AA and Sylvia......and Mir is questionable?
      The other divisions seem to be getting better and better......and know that Jens Pulver is back i cant wait to see him back in the octogan!
      I tell you what i do miss the old UFC with Vitor, Couture, Rizzo because they had some great wars back then. Its been awhile since i have seen fights like those in the UFC. I guess in a way the UFC is trying to hopefully get back to the past years. And they tried with Sylvia and AA and Ortiz and Shamrock.
      In a way i guess thats why i like the fact that GSP and Hughes and Penn have the ablitity to become great fights for the UFC.

22. 07-27-2006 10:11 AM #72
      ttt

Well, it looks like Anderson Sylva vs Rich Franklin might come true!!

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      07-27-2006 11:14 AM #73
      ttt

Well, it looks like Anderson Sylva vs Rich Franklin might come true!!

Awesome. There are going to be some great UFC fights in the next couple of months.

24. 07-27-2006 11:23 AM #74
      Awesome. There are going to be some great UFC fights in the next couple of months.

Yeah defiantly..with UFC 62-63 i beleive with Liddell vs. Babalu, Liddell vs. Sylva (hopefully even though i want babalu to beat liddell), GSP vs. Hughes 2, and hopefully Anderson Sylva vs. Franklin.
      Im not really interested in seeing Bonner vs. Griffen for some reason.
      And i think Sherk is fighting also which is allways fun to watch!
      Actually the next couple of months will be awesome as far as fights in Pride (OWGP) and UFC!

Vehicles
      2009 Audi A4 2.0T
      07-27-2006 01:50 PM #75
      Actually the next couple of months will be awesome as far as fights in Pride (OWGP) and UFC!

[IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Page 3 of 1455 FirstFirst 123456713531035031003 ... LastLast