Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1999 VW Passat Tie Rod Ends

1. 07-17-2006 03:54 PM #1
      My car is making a knocking sound from the front passenger wheel well, I jacked my car up and my tire was very loose (wobbling) but the lug nuts were secure, can someone help with the problem?

Modified by stevel2882 at 2:06 PM 7-17-2006

Modified by stevel2882 at 2:07 PM 7-17-2006

Modified by stevel2882 at 9:19 PM 7-17-2006

2. Member
      Vehicles
      99 Passat Black Magic Pearl
      07-18-2006 07:29 AM #2
      If it were the tie rods you would feel this in the steering wheel when you accelerated from a stop. The wheel would pull to the left or right while driving. If you hear a clicking sound then it could be your CV joints. It could also mean bad wheel bearings which are known in Passats for going bad. From what you described it sounds like wheel bearings

3. 07-18-2006 10:11 AM #3
      If you grab your wheel at 3 and 9 oclock and try to move it in and out...and get movement its tie rod ends. Wheel bearings ez to check just get car on jackstands (securely) and let engine idle with car in gear...wheels will spin...take a piece of hose or an old cardboard tube outa some gift wrap and but end near wheel hub...you'll hear bad bearings for sure! Tie rod ends can be a major PITA...just changed mine and both were siezed on (not rusted just siezed!)...managed to get one loose, but the other I had to sawzall off the end and use a stud puller and impact gun to break loose! Guess who put antisieze compound on those threads when he installed new ends!
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Passat GLS V6 wagon
      07-18-2006 10:18 AM #4
      Maybe you should take the wheel off and check further. Years ago my wife brought our '92 Passat home and said one front wheel was making a noise. I jacked it up and the wheel was loose -- much looser than bad wheel bearings or tie rod ends, but the lug nuts were secure. When I took the wheel off, the end of the wheel spindle fell out in my hand, complete with wheel bearing retaining nut. The spindle had sheared and the only thing holding my wheel on was the brake disk riding on the outer pads. Good thing it happened on a short trip to the soccer field and not at highway speeds.

That's an extreme story; I hope your problem is just wear and tear items.

--rick

Modified by ral613 at 10:20 AM 7-18-2006

5. 07-18-2006 11:34 AM #5
      I grabbed my tire at 3 and 9 and moved it back and forth and that was the wobbling I was experiencing, do you have any suggestions for tie rod ends I should purchase I have seen a few different brands?

Thanks for the input.

Modified by stevel2882 at 8:35 AM 7-18-2006

6. 07-18-2006 11:38 AM #6
      When I am driving at higher speeds the noise is not as prominent. When I am between 20 and 35 mph and between gears 2 and 3 the knocking or wobbling is very loud.

Thanks for the input.

7. 07-18-2006 12:17 PM #7
      I bought the complete Febi Bilstein suspension kit from PAP parts since I needed tie rod ends and a couple of upper control arms...you add up those parts and for a bit more you can replace whole front suspension and be done with it! Tie rod ends in the kit had larger ball joints on the end...I'm sure other suppliers like Myele (sp) have similar upgraded designs..just stay away from parts made in China and you'll be OK...if stuff is made in "der Fatherland" its usually good OEM quality in my experience (eons worth) of VW wrenchin! Just be prepared for tie rod end freeze up...Passat World has enuff postings on the subject for me to think its a common problem...maybe because the tie rods are above the wheel where the're showered with dirt and mud all the time by the wheels??????
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      99 Passat Black Magic Pearl
      07-18-2006 07:51 PM #8
      Steve, here's a suggestion you might want to check into. The Passat had a recall on tie rod end so go to nhtsa.gov and click on the recall link. From there you will have two windows to do a search to see if your car was one of the recalls. Use the search on the right for vehicle search. Then you will be able to search for make, model and vin to see if your car was one of those with the defective tie rods. Then if you find your car was included in the campaign, you can have the dealer do the swap for free.

9. 07-19-2006 01:01 PM #9
      Thanks for the info. My car was not within the vin# range but I did bookmark the page for future reference.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      08-16-2006 06:43 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by stevel2882 »
      Thanks for the info. My car was not within the vin# range but I did bookmark the page for future reference.

Can you give me the link you book-marked? I can't find the tie rod recall on that site.

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

11. 08-16-2006 08:20 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by VadGTI »

Can you give me the link you book-marked? I can't find the tie rod recall on that site.

Its not a tie rod recall. Its a recall to visually check the lower ball joints.

Vehicles
      99 Passat wagon, 04 passat sedan, 2012 sportwagen
      08-17-2006 08:41 AM #12
      I posted the pdf for the tie-rod end recall here (note, had this done to my 99.5 variant);

http://personalpages.tds.net/~luvail/wlcircus.pdf

Vehicles
      08-17-2006 08:55 AM #13
      Heck - always meant to post these things. I've created a page to host the TSB's and Recall notices I have. Only a couple posted right now - will add the rest as time allows.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~luvail/passat.htm

Modified by mriedel at 8:01 AM 8-17-2006

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      08-17-2006 04:04 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by CorradoG60 »

Its not a tie rod recall. Its a recall to visually check the lower ball joints.

Looks like the site says it's a recall to check and replace tie rod ends...

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      08-17-2006 06:48 PM #15
      Yes - the original seals are prone to failure and the tie rod ends may wear prematurely. In my experience, the dealer replaced both tie rod ends and seals.

16. 08-17-2006 07:33 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by VadGTI »

Looks like the site says it's a recall to check and replace tie rod ends...

I was thinking of the lower control arm recall

17. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 Cabriolet, 2004 W8 wagon 6MT, 2012 Golf R 4dr
      08-17-2006 10:20 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by stevel2882 »
      I grabbed my tire at 3 and 9 and moved it back and forth and that was the wobbling I was experiencing, do you have any suggestions for tie rod ends I should purchase I have seen a few different brands?

Thanks for the input.

Modified by stevel2882 at 8:35 AM 7-18-2006

Sounds to me like a UCA problem more than a TRE problem.

18. 08-19-2006 07:53 PM #18
      Sorry for the delay but here was the information I obtained, [http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm]. Hope this helps.