Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2000 Jetta VR6 - Speedometer Sensor - Please Help

1. 07-18-2006 12:28 PM #1
      I'm definitly a novice at working on cars, i have done a few DIY's that you have posted on this site and i am hoping someone here can help me again...

We just got back from Eastern Oregon and when we left my check engine light was on (not flashing, just on).
      The car drives strange too. Its an automatic, and as soon as the engine light came on it started to shift much higher than usuall. To get it to shift i had to get up to about 4200 RPM.

When we got home i went to Autozone for a code scan. The code said it was the speedometer sensor not getting voltage.

I was thinking it may be that the roads that where WAY bumpy could have knocked something loose, how could i check that?

or if i need to replace it, is it something easy i can do?

Where is the speedometer sensor? Anyone have a picture???

Please help, dealership wants about $500 for this repair, but the part online is only like $40. Please help me...

2. 07-18-2006 01:05 PM #2
      bump

Vehicles
      1998 Jazz Blue Cabrio
      07-18-2006 01:09 PM #3
      ABS speed sensor is on the steering knuckle( I only know that they are on the front 2 wheels, but the rears might also have some). Its a magnet screwed to the spindle with a wire coming out of it. The magnet goes into a hole that points at a disk with rectangular slots in it.

4. Banned
      07-18-2006 01:10 PM #4
      I don't have the bentley with me right now...but the VSS is what I am assuming is bad...if so, then this is on the transmission...specifically where, I don't remember.

I can post back later today....did the dealer give you specific info as to what the repair is?? the part(s) required. that will help.

5. 07-18-2006 01:26 PM #5
      No, the dealer was actually pretty un-informative. The code when scanned just said no voltage to the speedometer sensor. Would this cause my car to shift at high RPMs?

And YES, if you could get VERY specific as to where this sensor is and how to repair/replace it i would appreciate it. I dont have a repair manual, are there pictures in it?

6. Banned
      07-18-2006 01:32 PM #6
      ask them for the codes...that will help me/us help you.

7. 07-18-2006 02:08 PM #7
      I got the codes scanned at AutoZone, their printout says:

Code P0722.
      The PCM has deterined that there is no voltage signal from the output speed sensor.

Thank you very much for all your help everyone, hopefully this is something i can fix myself and save a lot of money! I really do appreciate anyone who can help me with this!

8. 07-18-2006 05:33 PM #8
      Im starting to worry that maybe its the transmission, not a sensor... im only a novice at fixing my car, like i said if its a DIY i can probobly pull it off, thats it though.

The code was P0722, but the PROBLEM is that it shifts only at 4200 RPM, WAY HIGH for my car! Its costing me a lot in gas, plus if its not something i can fix myself i am screwed as that will cost hundreds!

Please someone, if you know anything that could help, please let me know!

9. Banned
      07-18-2006 05:43 PM #9
      check in your regional forum...find a local dubber with a VAGCOM...they can scan BOTH the ECU and the Trans computer....then we will all know.

this is why I am not a fan of generic codes...they are TOO generic.

10. 07-18-2006 06:42 PM #10
      I am in Vancouver, Washington (just north of Portland, OR)... does that help?

11. 07-19-2006 11:30 AM #11
      Should i be at all worried that maybe i am leaking transmission fluid? i dont see any fluid, but we did drive a long ways to get home, so maybe its all drained out... like i said above, the problem is the car only shifts when at 4200 rpm, and it shifts a little hard...
      I am working on getting a guy to scan my car with the VAGCOM thing, he lives not too far from me so i may be able to do this tonight.

But if anyone can help me, i need to know where the speedometer sensor is, and if this is truly my problem (as we are driving the car daily to work and back).

12. Banned
      07-19-2006 11:38 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by JettaGuy21 »
      Should i be at all worried that maybe i am leaking transmission fluid? i dont see any fluid, but we did drive a long ways to get home, so maybe its all drained out... like i said above, the problem is the car only shifts when at 4200 rpm, and it shifts a little hard...
      I am working on getting a guy to scan my car with the VAGCOM thing, he lives not too far from me so i may be able to do this tonight.

But if anyone can help me, i need to know where the speedometer sensor is, and if this is truly my problem (as we are driving the car daily to work and back).

that is more telling. if the trans is low on fluid, then yes, it will not shift correctly, and usually, shift later. that may be more of whats going on with your car, then a bad VSS.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 VW Jetta VRT, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      07-19-2006 06:09 PM #13
      Come on Larry, you can do better then that....SEARCH!!

Try this, step #19 and #20. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2703042

Mike

Chapter 11 Dubs: Member #001
      http://www.chapter11dubs.com
      -----------------------

14. Banned
      07-19-2006 06:12 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by FaelinGL »
      Come on Larry, you can do better then that....SEARCH!! Mike

WTF...you kids think I can remember everything here...let alone look FOR you...

I'm old...leave me alone!!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 VW Jetta VRT, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      07-19-2006 06:28 PM #15

Quote, originally posted by LSinLV »

WTF...you kids think I can remember everything here...let alone look FOR you...

I'm old...leave me alone!!

LOL! The next generation is coming on strong....be afraid!

Mike

Chapter 11 Dubs: Member #001
      http://www.chapter11dubs.com
      -----------------------

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      07-19-2006 06:52 PM #16
      Larry is pretty helpful
      mujjuman

17. 07-20-2006 11:27 AM #17
      I was told to have someone with a VAGCOM device scan it, which i did last night. They said it was a G68 sensor, could be un-plugged or may need to be replaced.

We drove VERY rough roads this weekend, its VERY possible it just came un-plugged. Problem is i dont know where this sensor is or how to get to it... I dont want to pay a repair shop several hundreds, please if you can help me i would apprecate it.

I cant find any diagrams or DIY guides anywhere.

18. Banned
      07-20-2006 11:34 AM #18
      I can look tonight in the Bentley....and post back.

19. 07-20-2006 02:07 PM #19
      that would be great!
      i plan on doing the work on Saturday morning, so if you can help by then i would appreicate it (i figure i can park the car in my friends garage overnight Friday and let it cool down, then start on Satruday)

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      07-21-2006 06:52 AM #20
      good luck though, on the fix.

[EDIT]

according to this random website, #27 is your G68 speed sensor:

http://www.carsoft.ru/avtorepair/AT/38-35

check the diagram.

Modified by mujjuman at 6:55 AM 7-21-2006

mujjuman

21. 07-26-2006 02:57 PM #21
      Well its been a few days, but last night i finally got the car fixed!!!
      I was getting at the VSS and it was not loose, so i unplugged it, re-plugged it in and no change...

But when i was looking at the surrounding area i noticed set of 3 colored wires that looked to be broken.
      I dont know how they broke, becuase they are under the air box, seems to come from the battery to the transmission.

At any rate, my Dad and i soldered the wires together and re-wrapped them. i was upset at first becuase the car showed no sign of being fixed, but today while driving the car's engine light shut off and it shifts normally!!!
      Aparently the computer re-checks after a set time of driving and re-set the codes becuase of what we fixed last night.

Thanks for all the help everyone!