Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Clunking noise from front when wheel turned in to corner

1. 07-19-2006 01:24 PM #1
      I have this annoying problem that seems to be coming from my front suspenion and the dealer has been unable to resolve it. So I need to find out if they're missing something or if there's a real issue here and what it is. I have taken it into them three times now and it still is there.

Whenever I turn my steering wheel in fully to turn, I get this horrible clunking noise and it's driving me nuts. THe sterring seems to be okay, but the the problem is getting worse and it doesn't seem like a bad CV joint.

My concern is that something could break when I am driving and the car will be toast. So, I've done a search and I have not found anything so far. Has anyone else experienced this and can tell me what the heck is going on with my front suspenion/steering?

Vehicles
      2013 Golf TDI DSG w/Tech Package, 2012 Tiguan SEL
      07-19-2006 01:26 PM #2
      the dealer removed the spring spacers, correct? i only ask because my car and my girl's car were both delivered to us with the spacers still on the springs, and both of our cars made a "clunking" noise when we hit a small bump (driveway or speedbump). i do not remember if the noise occured when making a sharp turn, but it is worth a look.

3. 07-19-2006 01:31 PM #3
      Actually, I recently noticed the same problem on my GLI and haven't mentioned it to my dealer's service department yet.

It only seems to happen when taking a sharp right turn after the car has been sitting for a few hours.

I'll see if I can get an answer from service dept today.

4. 07-19-2006 02:46 PM #4

Quote, originally posted by D-Rice »
      Actually, I recently noticed the same problem on my GLI and haven't mentioned it to my dealer's service department yet.

It only seems to happen when taking a sharp right turn after the car has been sitting for a few hours.

I'll see if I can get an answer from service dept today.

Yeah, you're right now that I think about it. It is happenning on sharp-ish turns, especially right ones.

5. Member
      07-19-2006 03:29 PM #5
      I have the same issue,.......and my friend with an A3 has a similar issue.

It sounds to me as if the steering rack may be shifting in it's mounts. It's a rather sharp "clank" sound from behind the lower part of the firewall.
      Throttle or braking inputs are not related, and it only occurs during steering inputs of moderate stress.

I work at an Audi dealership, so i'll get my car on a lift some time in the future and let you know what I find, if I find it.

6. 07-19-2006 03:45 PM #6
      Same issue here! It only happens on hard/ sharp right hander. I will wait until the euro springs go in and see what happens.

7. 07-19-2006 03:50 PM #7
      I have the same issue, and when mine started making the noise (as it didn't from day one) is also when the steering wheel in my car started sitting a little left of center...

Vehicles
      07 GLI-F sold, 12 Passat SEL VR6, 14 GLI
      07-19-2006 03:54 PM #8
      Yeah i have the same problem i took it in and they told me that is normal...... Dealer told me that they took a new GLI out and it was making the same noise. So they said that is normal on these cars. Sucks because bugs be A LOT

9. 07-19-2006 04:06 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by darkduc »
      Same issue here! It only happens on hard/ sharp right hander. I will wait until the euro springs go in and see what happens.

I installed Eibach's last week and still having the same issue. Doesn't sound like it's springs-related.

Just took a drive with our master service technician, and of course the problem didn't present itself. He hasn't heard of any issues like this with the Jetta.

Oh well.

10. 07-19-2006 04:27 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by digitalhippie »
      I have the same issue, and when mine started making the noise (as it didn't from day one) is also when the steering wheel in my car started sitting a little left of center...

Hey yeah, my steering wheel is off too! I never thought the two could be related.

Mine never made the sound when I first bought and I really hope the rack isn't shifting in it's mounts 'cause that's BS! I do feel better that I am not the only one who appears to be having this issue. I smell a nasty TSB or recall coming on from VW about this if there are more of us out there!

Modified by addison1062 at 3:29 PM 7-19-2006

11. 07-19-2006 04:48 PM #11
      A lot of Mk5s seem to have "off center steering wheels"... but I don't know if those people are also experiencing the sound... but in my case, the sound started and I noticed my steering wheel was off center...

I know there was an issue with some Jettas/GLIs where something in the front suspension wasn't tightened properly, but I think that is a seperate issue from this... I tend to agree that it has to do with the steering rack, its mounts, or the tierods/tierod-ends...

12. 07-19-2006 05:34 PM #12
      I am smelling the same pending service recall.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 GTI, '03 VR6 GLI
      07-19-2006 06:33 PM #13
      Same thing here Tom. We know it's not the oem springs in my case and my steering is spot on. We hear it infrequently when doing full locks in and out of parking spaces at low speeds.

14. 07-19-2006 06:38 PM #14
      same thing, right turns only. havent been able to reproduce it, but it has happened a few times. twice this week when pulling into the dealership in the morning(right turn). and it has happened while parking. had the car driven yesterday for a sec but tech couldnt duplicate it either.

15. 07-19-2006 06:40 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by Nurendra »
      Same thing here Tom. We know it's not the oem springs in my case and my steering is spot on. We hear it infrequently when doing full locks in and out of parking spaces at low speeds.

Its become more frequent for me lately... which says its a worsening problem... not good

16. 07-20-2006 10:30 AM #16

Its become more frequent for me lately... which says its a worsening problem... not good

Yeah, it is a worsening problem. Every time I took it back it went away for a day and then came back once. Then twice, then almost all the time.

Seeing as everyone is more or less having the same problem under the same circumstances, I think we need to organize ourselves here and approach VWoA on this one. Or if someone has a better idea, then please let me know.

Modified by addison1062 at 9:34 AM 7-20-2006

Vehicles
      07 GLI-F sold, 12 Passat SEL VR6, 14 GLI
      07-20-2006 11:18 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by addison1062 »

Seeing as everyone is more or less having the same problem under the same circumstances, I think we need to organize ourselves here and approach VWoA on this one.

I second that.

18. 07-20-2006 12:57 PM #18
      Call VW customer service, and explain the problem... also explain its been in for service and problem couldn't be replicated... if enough people complain, hopefully they'll do something about it.

19. 07-20-2006 01:16 PM #19
      Same problem, and they didn't fix it, it was in this week.

20. 07-20-2006 05:06 PM #20
      Just for giggles I checked the NTHSA (or wahtever that is) and there aren't any complaints lodged agaisnt our problem yet.

21. 07-21-2006 12:54 PM #21
      Okay, I just got off the phone with VWoA and they said there was no recall for the issue and that I need to speak to my dealer. They they told me they'll document my problem. Helpful as always.

It would help if everyone of you who posted call VW and let them know of this problem. I really don't think they are aware of it or if they are, they are keeping quiet until the complaints grow.

Modified by addison1062 at 11:55 AM 7-21-2006

22. 07-21-2006 01:00 PM #22
      Yep, ppl... call VWoA... or nothing will be done until someone's car falls apart.

23. 07-24-2006 10:17 AM #23
      Yep, ppl... call VWoA... or nothing will be done until someone's car falls apart.

Are you volunteering your car to be the first?

24. 07-24-2006 11:06 AM #24
      Quote, originally posted by addison1062 »
      Are you volunteering your car to be the first?

I already called VW

25. 07-24-2006 11:54 AM #25
      Funny - i test drove an 06 GTI and noticed the SAME sound while on a ride with the dealer. I said - what the heck was that? Later i thought it was my imagination, so I took out another 2006 and the seatbelt on the passenger side was banging when i took a sharp turn - so i figured that's what i heard on my first drive. I strapped the seatbelt in, tried again, no sound... so I thought that's all it was... i guess not!

26. 07-24-2006 01:39 PM #26
      Anyone else called yet?

My clunking is now also happening on left-hand turns and my steering wheel is a tad more off than last week!

Modified by addison1062 at 11:00 AM 7-25-2006

27. Member
      07-31-2006 03:28 PM #27
      I gotcha beat,......I went for a 300+ mile cruise last saturday night.

I can now reproduce the sound some of the time while turning either way, and I have now strted to hear the same sound when braking and accelerating in a straight line.

Occasionally I can "feel" the "clunk" throught he steering wheel too. I don't think it's internal steering rack related though, it still feels more subframe/chassis related than mechanical operation related.

Steering input/feedback is not affected while clunking.

While the car was on the lift last tuesday I could not detect any loose suspension components, rack components, trans/eg. mounts, subframe connections, or anything else that indicates a problem.

I'm stumped. I work at an Audi dealership and so far we have not had any complaints with the A3 relating to this problem either.

Modified by feuerdog at 3:34 PM 7-31-2006

28. Member
      08-01-2006 08:33 PM #28
      Update: While taking my favorite exit ramp at high speed today, which is an almost daily occurance, I heard the "clank" noise TWICE in succession turning right (180 deg.), and once in the following left(90 deg.).

A thread on the mk5 forums mentions engine mounts,.....which I now think is the best conclusion so far.

I haven't done a close inspection yet, but with the "spirited" driving that I do on my stiffer suspension, it may have torn or at least loosened my engine mounts to the point where they are causing a rubbing/binding.

Just a thought,....and it's definitely becoming a more common occurance for me.

29. 08-02-2006 10:29 AM #29
      Mine is still with the dealer and they have no clue about what it is. Help me understand what you said - what do the engine mounts have to do with steering at low or no speeds?

30. 08-02-2006 10:42 AM #30
      I have had the sound once or twice. Can't reproduce at all and don't know what it is. My steering wheel is off a little bit, and the steering is sometimes really loose.

I am going to have to take the car in before I die becuase of crap steering.

31. 08-02-2006 11:15 AM #31
      Quote, originally posted by swiftcrx »
      I have had the sound once or twice. Can't reproduce at all and don't know what it is. My steering wheel is off a little bit, and the steering is sometimes really loose.

I am going to have to take the car in before I die becuase of crap steering.

Make sure you call VWoA and report this to them. We need to get everyone who has this problem to do it because it's starting to become a big issue.

32. 08-02-2006 11:51 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by Nurendra »

I ahevt hsi prob too... I tokk it to the dealer and i was told this is normal yet i have driven a couple of gti's that did not do this. I was considering taking this to another dealer and telling them they will get my biz if they can diagnose and fix this...

33. 08-02-2006 12:06 PM #33
      I've noticed this twice in the last 6000 miles or so, only when I turn the wheel fully in one direction at a very low speed. Could it be with the power steering pump?

34. 08-02-2006 02:25 PM #34
      Can any of you guys just confirm - my car has done the same thing form time to time - is the steering always off about an inch to the left. sometimes its fine and other times it seems off to the left about an inch. I think both are related

35. 08-02-2006 03:08 PM #35
      i havent experienced this yet on my rabbit.. but i know what yall are talkin about..

my moms CTS does this whenever you turn left at low speeds. weird.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast