Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO Install VAG-COM in Ubuntu Linux using Wine

1. 07-21-2006 05:12 AM #1
      I have installed the recently released version 607.0 of VAG-COM under Ubuntu Linux. This is my HOW-TO. Perhaps it will help others.

Background
      As you know, VAG-COM (www.ross-tech.com) is an on-board diagnostic (OBD) scanner for Volkswagen Audi Group vehicles. Ross-Tech explicitly state that it is only supported running under Windows. However, others (with more experience than I) have used wine to get it working under Linux in the past. For example:

This post (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2698219) states VAG-COM works under SUSE Linux but provides no description as to how to install it.
      This HOW-TO (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/VAG-COM/message/4440) from 2001 is too old so I don’t know if it still works. VAG-COM has undergone many updates since then.
      This HOW-TO (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102885) from 2005 requires mozactivex and a couple of DLLs. It was probably based on version 504 of VAG-COM but provided me with hope that I could get it to work.

System used
      VAG-COM Cable = HEX-COM+CAN cable from Ross-Tech. IMPORTANT: This is the serial port version (not USB). I believe that the USB version will not work with Linux because Wine only supports USB devices that are supported by the Linux kernel.
      VAG-COM software = Release 607.0 from Ross-Tech.
      Computer = Toshiba 8100 laptop with a Pentium 3 processor and 196 Mb RAM.
      OS = Ubuntu (Dapper Drake 6.06 release) freshly installed and updated on 16/7/06. Linux kernel 2.6.15-25-386.
      Wine = Version 0.9.9-0Ubuntu2 from Universe repository.

Conventions
      Text like this:
      $ cd vag-com
      Means that you type "cd vag-com", without the quotes or the $ sign, at the prompt of the command-line interface in the user's home directory. That is, just open the terminal and type the command because you should automatically be in the home directory.
      "=>" means this results in …
      "->" means the next step is …

HOW-TO Install VAG-COM
      1.Install Wine from Universe repository using Synaptic.
      2.Create the wine directories and open a configuration window by typing at the command prompt:
      $ winecfg
      -> click OK to close the window as no changes are required.
      3.Download Vag-Com-Release-6070-Installer.exe from http://www.ross-tech.com. This is the version of the software for the serial cable.
      4.Move the downloaded file to ~/.wine/drive_c. Tip: If using Nautilus file manager to do this, you have to press Ctrl-H to show the hidden /.wine directory in your user’s home directory.
      5.Run the VAG-COM setup wizard by typing:
      $ wine c:\vagcom-release-6070-installer.exe
      => Setup Wizard should open and behave as if it is a Windows program
      -> Choose to Install to c:\Program Files\VAG-COM.
      => Creates a desktop icon called "VAG-COM Release 607.lnk" on the desktop.
      -> When the installation is complete simply delete this desktop icon as it does not work in linux.
      6.Run VAG-COM by typing at the terminal either:
      $ cd ".wine/drive_c/Program Files/VAG-COM" && wine vagcom.exe
      Or
      $ sh –c cd ".wine/drive_c/Program Files/VAG-COM" && wine vagcom.exe
      This can be simplified by optionally creating a desktop icon below

Create a desktop icon to run VAG-COM
      Unfortunately, running VAG-COM is not as simple as just typing: "wine vagcom.exe" at the home directory command prompt. Even if you have added the VAG-COM path to the wine windows registry, so that it can find the executable, it will not work properly. You need to issue the command from within the VAG-COM directory or VAG-COM will give an error "Can’t Open Codes File: CODES.DAT". The program will then continue but does not work very well.
      The simplest way that I found around this problem (using my very limited knowledge) was to change to the VAG-COM directory before running it. This is effectively what the commands above do but these are a nuisance to type.
      A simple solution is to use a script that performs the change of directory and then runs VAG-COM. Such a script can then be called by a desktop icon.
      7.Create a text file called vagcom.sh which contains the following:
      cd ~/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/VAG-COM
      wine vagcom.exe
      cd ~
      8.You can then create a launcher on your desktop by right clicking the desktop
      -> Create Launcher…
      -> Name = VAG-COM
      -> Command = sh vagcom.sh
      9.I believe that those who use a KDE environment may simply be able to add "~/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/VAG-COM" to the working directory of a desktop launcher without needing to write a script. Unfortunately, I could not find an equivalent in Gnome.

Tips:
      Linux directory and file names are case sensitive while windows ones are not. Therefore if the name is being used by wine the case does not matter but if used by Linux it does. If you have trouble, pay strict attention to case.
      I have limited experience with Linux and VAG-COM so don’t rely on anything I say.
      I have placed a similar post on the Ubuntu forum (www.ubuntuforums.org).

2. 07-21-2006 05:24 AM #2
      I would like to add a big thank you to Ross-Tech for making Version 607 so easy to install with Wine. I suspect that a key reason for this is that the program seems to install cleanly, without extra dependents (in Windows or Linux). I would implore you to continue this, even though you don't actually support non-Windows installations. Getting the program to install under Linux was a big factor in me purchasing a VAG-COM cable.
      Thanks again!

Vehicles
      Too Many
      07-21-2006 09:09 AM #3
      Cool! I've added a link to this thread from our FAQ.

-Uwe-

VCDS® -- Satisfaction guaranteed or double your fault codes back!
      I reserve the right to be a prick if people make unreasonable demands.

4. 07-21-2006 09:19 AM #4
      Nice how to.

I had a very old Toshiba 486 laptop that I wanted run with Linux.
      My only hang up was the fact that I needed the laptop for my vag-com.
      I figured it was worth a try to get vag-com running with wine.
      I was in the process of getting wine up and running when the whole laptop crapped out on me completely. (couldn't even get the thing to turn on) Rather than trying to fix it, I just bought a new (ok, slightly used) thinkpad that already had XP on it.
      Since then, I haven't thought about trying the linux thing again.
      But, maybe . . . . .

5. 07-22-2006 11:52 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by pallad »

This post (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2698219) states VAG-COM works under SUSE Linux but provides no description as to how to install it.

Because it was too easy. I installed Wine when installing the OS, downloaded the Vag-Com software from ross-tech.com and saved it on my desktop. I double clicked on the installer and followed the procedure. An icon was created on my desktop which allows the launching of the software, pretty much the same procedure as installing it in Windows.

I fixed the codes.dat issue by re-naming the file to "CODES.dat" or something like that (the error dialog does not report the correct case)

6. 07-22-2006 11:59 AM #6
      Also, if you recieve an error about the com port, check (in this order):

1) That you have configured COM port access in your WINE configuration, on SuSe for example the default install will configure it, but on some distributions it will not. See: http://www.winehq.com/site/doc...igure

2) That the user you are running the software on has read and write access to your COM port (usually /dev/ttyS0 for COM1). You can try:

sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyS0 as a quick test, but the correct way would be:
      joako@joako-english:~> ll /dev/ttyS0

You will get an output such as:

crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 2006-05-02 02:45 /dev/ttyS0

Root is the USER that "owns" the port, "uucp" is the GROUP that "owns" the port, you need to use the admin utillity in your distro (on SuSE it is YaST2) to add that group to your user, otherwise you would have to chmod the port each time you reboot.

7. 01-31-2007 11:14 PM #7
      Same here- please try to keep it up

I just got VAG-COM running on UBUNTU 6.1blah blah.. on an inspiron 8200 without any hitch.

-SteveM

8. 02-13-2007 09:49 PM #8
      Just got Vag-Com installed on Ubuntu, but the install was a lot easier than the directions above.

1. download wine via synaptic package manager
      2. type winecfg in terminal, click OK when wine window pops up.
      3. download the latest exe release of Vag-Com to the desktop
      4. right click on exe and select "open with wine windows emulator". Vag-Com installs as normal and puts shortcuts right on the desktop.
      5. Drink a beer.

Vag-Com on Linux not too shabby.

-Brent

Modified by spookygeek at 11:43 AM 2-14-2007

9. 05-01-2007 03:24 PM #9
      Has anyone gone further and gotten this working with the full release not just the freeware? Does the registration work?

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GTI 4dr Sunroof/Nav
      05-02-2007 12:44 PM #10
      I was actually contemplating moving my laptop to ubuntu after testing in vmware...vag-com was one of the primary hold apps that was stopping me. Might actually do this now! Thanks for the info boys!

11. 05-10-2007 12:49 PM #11
      Ok, it SHOULD work with the USB cable as well. I'm still figuring this out but the USB device should register as /dev/ttyUSB0 as a FTDI USB Serial Device converter. I'm still trying to figure out how to get wine to locate that device and treat it as a USB device but. . . I'll get there and post up about this.

05-12-2007 12:32 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by spookygeek »
      Just got Vag-Com installed on Ubuntu, but the install was a lot easier than the directions above.

4. right click on exe and select "open with wine windows emulator". Vag-Com installs as normal and puts shortcuts right on the desktop.
      5. Drink a beer.

-Brent

Modified by spookygeek at 11:43 AM 2-14-2007

i try everything listed here and when I right click the download wine doesn't show up on the list of applications
      where the heck is wine hidding
      could someone help me out ?

05-12-2007 01:48 AM #13
      Well i finally to findd wine, however I opened the download with it and everything seen to install, but nothings happens when i click the vagcom icon.
      Any help ?

05-14-2007 12:22 AM #14
      Bump
      Also need to mention that I'm trying the shareware version of vag-com.

15. 05-15-2007 01:04 PM #15
      Its an issue with your Wine installation. Uwe et all, does VAG-COM require anything like Visual Basic runtimes or anything? I always use Winetools and

1) Create a Fake Windows drive
      2) DCOM98
      3) Microsoft Foundation Classes
      4) VB 5&6 Runtimes
      5) Visual C++ runtime
      6) MDAC + JET
      7) Common Controls

But its probably just foundation classes and the fake windows drive missing. I would seek support for your Linux, not VAG-COM at this point.

Vehicles
      Too Many
      05-16-2007 07:03 PM #16
      Quote »
      does VAG-COM require anything like Visual Basic runtimes or anything?

Nope. Everything VAG-COM needs either comes with it or has been standard in Windows since Windows 95 OSR2.

-Uwe-

17. 05-22-2007 10:26 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by spookygeek »

5. Drink a beer.

-Brent

Linux testimonial:
      I have installed VAG-COM on a laptop running Fedora (RedHat community OS) using the same directions, and also on a desktop running Ubuntu (just for reference).
      On both Linux distros, it "Just works". It even created a menu folder Wine>Programs>VAG-COM (on both Linux distros)
      I have used VAG-COM and the HEX-COM-CAN cable, through the laptop's serial port, to scan and tweak the '07 Eos and the '01.5 Passat.
      I would like to try the USB version too, but I don't have the spare cash to buy and extra cable now.

BTW, there is an update on the offer by Linux driver and kernel developers to create drivers free for any company's hardware.
      If a fitting USB driver is all that is missing, all Uwe needs to do is ask, and they have offered to write a driver (even under a Non Disclosure Agreement on the hardware documentation, although the driver itself would be open)

I have been looking into making some sort of CarPC,or "carputer", and found a bunch of tiny barebones systems and specialized parts for sale already, many running choice of Linux or Windows (at extra cost), and so getting USB cables to work would be GREAT! Most of the mini-ITX motherboards have one serial, but have several USB ports.(how most of the CarPCs I found did their GPS)

William

Modified by kghia at 7:30 PM 5-22-2007

18. 05-22-2007 11:50 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by kghia »

I have installed VAG-COM on a laptop running Fedora (RedHat community OS) using the same directions, and also on a desktop running Ubuntu (just for reference).
      On both Linux distros, it "Just works". It even created a menu folder Wine>Programs>VAG-COM (on both Linux distros)

oops! except that the installer tries to check which version of Windows I have (and fails)
      Uwe, could you provide a version of the program+installer which doesn't try to super-automate and generate this error? (like you kindly did before)

Thanks!!

William

19. 05-23-2007 01:14 AM #19
      What is the FTDI chip in the USB cables?

Vehicles
      Too Many
      05-24-2007 04:29 PM #20

oops! except that the installer tries to check which version of Windows I have (and fails)
      Uwe, could you provide a version of the program+installer which doesn't try to super-automate and generate this error? (like you kindly did before)

We will consider providing packages like that to registered users such as yourself upon request.

-Uwe-

21. 05-24-2007 05:07 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by joako »
      What is the FTDI chip in the USB cables?

Eh, it's not turns out. It was because I was testing with one of those non-ross tech cables. . I never got it to work and have been sticking to my windows and ross tech vag-com usb cable these days. I decided to spend more time developing plugins now then trying to figure out a way to install it on linux as I'd probably have to reverse enginer drivers far too often to keep up with them.

22. 05-24-2007 07:37 PM #22
      Thanks!! I did get it installed by using the other method you previously suggested-- install in Windows, copy program files out and copy them into the Linux-Wine location.
      I just hate having to use Windows for a mid-step only because the installer is trying to determine "my version".

so I would give the installer a "Not Friendly" rating,
      but I still give VAG-COM a "Super" rating, even on Linux

I wonder if the Mac people could get it working by using Linux on a Mac (like Yellowdog Linux, or some other) It might be an alternative to BootCamp or Parallels

William

23. 05-24-2007 08:00 PM #23
      Have you taken a look at the wine setup program? You should just be able to click your GNOME or K-Menu and select "Run" and type "winecfg" (without the quotes of course). There should be a setting for what OS WINE reports it is, if you set it to Windows 2000 or XP it should fix your problem. You can also set override per program if you desire./

24. 05-24-2007 08:28 PM #24
      Thanks!! I did get it installed by using the other method you previously suggested-- install in Windows, copy program files out and copy them into the Linux-Wine location.

Did you get that working for the USB model as well or just the serial? I would think you'd still need a linux driver for the usb.

25. 05-25-2007 01:01 AM #25
      I am using serial, because I was sure it would Just Work, from other reports.
      I think that USB has a great chance, but others said WINE requires a USB device to be supported in the kernel or with kernel modules. Many types of devices are rolled together, like USB drives, but I think there would need to be a driver.
      That is why I suggest that maybe they should consider the kernel developers' offer for free development-- to be able to say that USB works in Linux too (and claim it is Suppoerted -- VAG-COM, not the OS-- for very little cost. When I build up a carputer, I've thought that a Pro Kit would give a portable cable plus one to interface through the carPC on a mini-ITX motherboard.

One of the links I ran across for CarPCs was a person doing their latest project on a VW Golf, with requirements like no cutting or drilling new holes, had to fit and look OEM in trim, and do all of the music/media/NAV/GPS/bluetooth/diagnostics/settings that a carPC can. I'm almost drooling before I add in VAG-COM controls from the console.
      It sure would be easier with VAG-SCOPE displayed in the console rather than a laptop on the passenger's seat (where you can't possilby glance, nor keep it from wobbling)

But serial seems to be fine-- I would just love to try USB too, and be able to run it on small internet devices like the Nikia 770, Nokia N800, and some tablets or more powerful PDAs without serial.

Modified by kghia at 1:55 PM 5-25-2007

26. 05-27-2007 01:24 PM #26
      Well I installed Kubuntu 7.04 for other reasons and there's no winetools! Also VAG-Com installer does not run. It pops up for a fraction of a second and then goes away.

SuSE for the win! German car, you gotta run German software I guess.

27. 05-28-2007 11:54 PM #27
      use the Synaptic Package Manager, under System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager
      and install wine, or use the command line, but KUbuntu can't have that different a setup for wine than plain Ubuntu

I didn't use any special settings, or using external DLLs or anything--just a basic install of WINE
      Go through the basic WINE install carefully, and put the installer in C:\ before running the installer.
      Good luck!

William

28. 06-13-2007 12:30 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by Windowlicker »
      I'm still trying to figure out how to get wine to locate that device and treat it as a USB device but. . .

If you still looking...
      Try this:
      ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1
      then "tell" VAG-COM to use COM1.
      It works for me (3d-party device with FT232BM).

29. 06-13-2007 01:06 PM #29
      yea, tried that, it recognises there is something there then but it does not know what. Probably a driver issue still. I'll see if I can get the other one going. Or, could just be your 3rd party one uses a different driver than mine.

30. 06-13-2007 06:40 PM #30
      Try this:

Unplug the cable, plug it back in and then open a commandline and type in "dmesg" (without the quotes of course)>

What does the last few lines of dmesg say?

Also about the Kubuntu, I guess its because I didnt put it in the fake C: drive... With SuSE I could run from any location a windows program.

31. 06-13-2007 06:46 PM #31
      Driver was loading up just fine. . I don't remember which one anymore. I ended up just dual booting to windows (which will change eventually).

32. 06-20-2007 12:25 PM #32
      yea, tried that, it recognises there is something there then but it does not know what. Probably a driver issue still. I'll see if I can get the other one going. Or, could just be your 3rd party one uses a different driver than mine.

Which version of VAG-COM have you tried?
      I've played with 3.11/4.09, both of them works fine for my 3d-party device.
      I guess VAG-COM with version higher then 4.09 expects a device with the dongle (original Ross-Tech device), AFAIK (I saw some comments from Uwe at Ross-Tech site).

Vehicles
      '67 Ford Mustang Conv.
      06-20-2007 02:12 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by alexdu »
      I guess VAG-COM with version higher then 4.09 expects a device with the dongle (original Ross-Tech device), AFAIK (I saw some comments from Uwe at Ross-Tech site).

Indeed...

http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_3.html#3.3

34. 06-21-2007 10:08 PM #34

Eh, it's not turns out. It was because I was testing with one of those non-ross tech cables. . I never got it to work and have been sticking to my windows and ross tech vag-com usb cable these days. I decided to spend more time developing plugins now then trying to figure out a way to install it on linux as I'd probably have to reverse enginer drivers far too often to keep up with them.

Quote, originally posted by alexdu »

Which version of VAG-COM have you tried?
      I've played with 3.11/4.09, both of them works fine for my 3d-party device.

OHHHH !
      It wasn't that your WINE was too old not potent enough--
      you were using the wrong corkscrew for the newer RossTech & VAG-COM vintages.

You know you want to buy it.

William
      ps. hey Uwe, would you consider just putting up stable releases of the VAG-COM software using the simpler, WINE-friendly Windows-type installer? Like on a regular stable-release basis, which the Linux and Mac users can just look for on the site?
      (because, with the earlier v6.-- installers you used, in Linux, it "Just Works" )

Modified by kghia at 7:17 PM 6-21-2007

Vehicles
      '67 Ford Mustang Conv.
      06-22-2007 06:37 AM #35
      ps. hey Uwe, would you consider just putting up stable releases of the VAG-COM software using the simpler, WINE-friendly Windows-type installer?

We already considered that, but yet I haven't gotten the order to implement something in the current installer that would take care of that. Question, is there some sort of switch/option in WINE where you can tell that it should "claim" to be "Windows XY"?

The installer basically checks the windows version and based on that it decides what files (i.e. drivers) to install.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast