8vS1
      07-25-2006 08:12 PM #2
      how to remove it? or how to recover it?
      east.co.mo.fo.

Vehicles
      '83 Rabbit, '08 GTI, '10 Jetta TDI
      07-25-2006 08:13 PM #3
      What do you need to know how to do?

To take it out, unscrew the bases for the visors. Pop the sunroof motor assembly (if applicable) out, pop out the dome light assembly, unscrew the oh **** handles, and pop off the rear reading lights. And then you start pulling the A, B, and C pillars off. That's pretty straightforward, the B pillar trim just pops off. And under that will be the screws for the A and C pillars. Undo those, and pull them off carefully. They will be clipped on, so try not to break the clips. Once they're all removed, pull of the little gasket around the sunroof (if applicable), and the headliner should be sagging and hitting you in the head. If you have a Golf, pull it out the rear hatch. If you have a Jetta, fold down the front seats, and wiggle it through one of the back doors. You might want a friend helping you do this part, so you don't crease the headliner taking it out.

Hope that helped... I just pulled mine out a couple weeks ago, and I just wrote this up real quick as I'm about to leave work... I'm sure other people will chime in with any details I forgot

4. 07-25-2006 08:21 PM #4
      i need to kno how to put a Material on the head liner...any help? thanx

Vehicles
      '83 Rabbit, '08 GTI, '10 Jetta TDI
      07-25-2006 08:24 PM #5
      Hmm... I don't have much knowledge on that... I just dyed mine with some fabric dye, and put it back in. I've been considering redoing it with suede though

6. 07-25-2006 08:26 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by b3eFyVW89 »

what type of material?

Vehicles
      8vS1
      07-25-2006 08:28 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by b3eFyVW89 »

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1672403

use the search feature in the upper right corner you'll find more info

east.co.mo.fo.

8. 07-25-2006 08:29 PM #8
      1.remove the old fabric
      2.remove old glueish foam from the fiberglass headliner shell
      3.cut new material to proper length, but have extra.
      4.spray glue on one half of fabric and one half of headliner. let sit for 7minutes.
      5.start in the middle of the headliner and work your way out
      6.when you get to the handle recesses make sure you have slack because if it something like suede IT WILLLLLL NOOOTTT STRETCH! WHAT SO EVER!!!
      7.Do other half starting from step 4.

Tips: make sure you have slack at all times or you will have trouble with curves and holes.

Use either 3M general adhesive spray or Super adhesive spray, or the like.

Do it with someone else, it will be WAY hard to do it by yourself IMO

whatever you do DON'T panic if you mess up, you will only mess it up more: Coming from experience

IM me if you have more questions

Modified by VWduke at 6:32 PM 7-25-2006

Vehicles
      97 Jetta GLX, 99 Cabrio, 03 Sierra SLE, 90 XT600, 84 ATC200X, 78 CB750F, 66 S90
      07-25-2006 09:17 PM #9
      is a normal bolt of fabric wide enough or is there a seam?

10. 07-25-2006 11:51 PM #10
      most of the farbrics i have seen while looking is no shorter than 48" which is wide enough, the norm i think is 54" which is plenty wide

11. 07-25-2006 11:52 PM #11
      hi duke....hiiii

12. 07-26-2006 04:50 AM #12
      Note that the MK2 Headlinner has a ''fiberglass shell'' but the MK3 does NOT. It is constructed in a manner of layers: Fabric, foam, construction paper, more foam, last sheet of construction paper.

When I did mine, I did not do what the MK2 fellows do, such as tear off old fabric and scrub off foam residue to leave but the shell.

I was kind of worried that if I tried to take off the old fabric, it would pull some foam off as well and end up tearing out spots of the construction paper. That would have turned out a disaster...beeing that there is no shell. I would have ended up with holes in the headlinner.

Therefor, I stuck my fabric right over the original one, since it was freshly vaccumed, and had no saggin spots.

It is a good idea to have an other set of helping hands! It took me 3 hours to do a great job.

1- What I did is that I got 2 BIG cans of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive:

2- Then I took my fabric of choice, in my case black Suede.

3- I started by laying-out the fabric on the headlinner and cut off excess. Made sure I was setting the head linner on a solid surface.

4- I left about 6 inches all around to make the final edges and give slack for all the recesses to get filled. Note that the picture was taken after everything was stuck on. The 6 inches I left turned out to give me enough to do the edges.

5- Once layed out flat and trimmed, I over lapped the fabric on it self, using the rear handle recesses as an imaginary guide line. There fore, I had both suede sides facing each other, folded one on each other, revealling the rear of the head liner from the handles to the back.

6- I applied some of the spray adhesive, going from the left of the head linner to the right, moving towards the back only about 15-18 inches. I then added a coat on the back side of the suede in the same motion. While doing this, it allowed the coat on the head linner to cure a little. I then added a second coat going from back to front ( opposite direction ) and did the same on the fabric.

7- I used a Richard's yellow handle fabric roller (seen in this pic...) to roll the freshly glued fabric in all the corners.

8- Once the fabric rolled in, I proceded to move towards the back an other 1 ft or so repeating steps 6 and 7.

9- Once the back half was done to satisfaction, I flipped the other half of the non glued fabric over the newly finished glued back half.

10- Repeated steps 6 and 7 for everything done towards the front.

11- I started doing the edges and folding them back. By now you should be runnig low on glue. It is important to apply lots of it and wait between coats for it to cure to have optimal results, as I have seen some that have been cheap on it and their ''new'' head linner is already sagging!

12- Cut out all holes and reinstall linner.

13- Have a sit in theese...

Enjoy what you have accomplished!

If I can give a hint, it would be wise to cut an X ( corner to corner ) where the Dome Light Switch goes prior to rolling it once glued. It will allow you to roll the fabric correctly into that curb ( right where the miror is, between the switch and windshield ) and reduce the chance of having creasses.

Make it a bit smaller that the actual cut-out, cause you will want to make a nice border after. Besides, you don't know exactly how the fabric stretches and you could end-up having a cut in the fabric where you don't want to.

Modified by SilverBullet006 at 4:53 AM 7-26-2006

Vehicles
      08 GLI ,83 scirroco, '84 BMW 318i
      07-26-2006 06:50 AM #13
      nice write up
      reading it , i was a little unclear on the folding over part, but im probably overthinking it.

whered you get a large piece of seude??

14. 07-26-2006 10:56 AM #14
      just search for suede on google or something, you will get more than enough options through various fabric stores

15. 07-26-2006 02:25 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by highoutput »
      nice write up
      reading it , i was a little unclear on the folding over part, but im probably overthinking it.

whered you get a large piece of seude??

Actually I got it at Fabric Ville here in Montreal. I went to some places before and they were selling the stuff for like 25$ Cnd per meter. Thats like 20$ a yard.

At F.V. it was 8$ Cnd a yard so I got 5M of it. You need like 2.5M to do one Golf Head liner.

For the folding over, well first you lay it out flat on the head liner, nice side facing up, shiatty side facing the old head liner.

Then, you take the ''rear'' and flap it over towards the front, a certain distance. I went and rolled it back until I could see the rear handles recesses and used that as an imagainary line. It's like folding bed sheets.

So now you have the 2 suede sides facing each other. That way you are revealling the crappy side (under side) so you ca apply glue to and also the head liner where you also need to apply glue. Once you put on glue on both sides, take your fancy fabric roller and start ROLLIN'!

I would do it by sections of 15-18 in. or so. While you do the rolling, the other person holds the fabric in the air, other wise you will end up not having it laid down properly and have bubbles. Think about how you apply LARGE stikers on stuff. This is the same thing, only way bigger.

Sorry if it wasn't clear and still is not

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '11 Highlander, '12 Mazda 3, '98 Cabrio
      07-26-2006 02:44 PM #16
      SB, that was a helluva writeup.

If anyone is still not following him, I believe the condensed version is this:

1)Lay the fabric down on top of the headliner to line it up where you want it.
      2)About halfway on the headliner, fold back the suede toward the middle(if using suede) to apply glue to the headliner piece, as well as the bottom of the suede fabric (hence good suede touching good suede)
      3)Apply glue to both parts (in small sections), let tack, then lay the fabric down on the headliner, using a roller to make sure it's flat.

-Kevin

17. 07-26-2006 02:50 PM #17
      Awesome how to thread.. thanks guys..

Vehicles
      E46
      07-26-2006 03:15 PM #18
      youd be safer to go with 3m super 90 adheisve, i went with that, worked great
      Like good music? Then'll you'll love this!

http://www.facebook.com/thewillwhiting

19. 07-26-2006 03:45 PM #19
      i've been reading up on this and plan on doing it myself..others have recommended using contact cement and outdoor carpet glue

Modified by sicokid211 at 11:47 AM 7-27-2006

20. 07-27-2006 02:42 AM #20
      Quote, originally posted by zooo@work »
      SB, that was a helluva writeup.

If anyone is still not following him, I believe the condensed version is this:

1)Lay the fabric down on top of the headliner to line it up where you want it.
      2)About halfway on the headliner, fold back the suede toward the middle(if using suede) to apply glue to the headliner piece, as well as the bottom of the suede fabric (hence good suede touching good suede)
      3)Apply glue to both parts (in small sections), let tack, then lay the fabric down on the headliner, using a roller to make sure it's flat.

-Kevin

Could'nt have said it better....

^^^^^
      What he said...

Helluva write up for sure. But it is for a good cause! That's what I would want for a response to some questions sometimes... Where I come from, forums are for Bashing and small talk... I like tech stuff and like to help alot, so.... I come here instead. More views too and more knoledge.

Modified by SilverBullet006 at 2:45 AM 7-27-2006

21. 07-27-2006 02:49 AM #21
      Quote, originally posted by sicokid211 »
      i've been reading up on this and plan on doing it myself..oithers have recommended using contact cement and outdoor carpet glue

You need something that:

A: will not burn the fabric
      B: will not stain
      C: will not make fabric crunchy
      D: fairly elastic
      E: something volatile that will dry/cure fast and bond to last!

That is why this 3M stuff is the best IMO... Nuff said.

Vehicles
      98 Jetta Gls / 03 Jetta 1.8T
      06-28-2011 01:44 AM #22
      I'm planning to do the exact same thing to my jetta. Thx for the tips.

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1997/VW/Golf GTI
      02-19-2012 07:47 PM #23
      Do'n my headliner as we speak....went shopping for some spray adhesive tonight and read the back of all the cans at Wal-Mart (3M's Super 77). It specifically says not to use on headliners......so I gotta wait for PepBoys to open tomorrow to hopefully get the right stuff!