Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Can I improve gas mileage on 01 Passat?

1. 07-26-2006 05:34 PM #1
      Can I improve gas mileage on a 2001 Passat V6 4Motion auto transmission?

I will change my air filter to a K&N and I will drive more appropriately for economy, but is there anything else like chips I can use? I’m getting 21.5 in town and haven’t had it on the highway yet.

This is my first VW, haven’t had it more than a few weeks, I would love any advice.

Also, the tie rods are going out and it has less than 40k miles, is this typical? The dealer is going to replace them and eat half the cost. Yeah VW!

2. 07-26-2006 05:51 PM #2
      21.5mpg city is pretty normal. With a 1.8T/tip combination, I range between 16mpg for cold-cycle stop-and-go and twice that on the open road at 65mph / 105kph.

Tie rod ends are a known trouble spot on these cars, as are control arms and CV boots.

3. 07-26-2006 07:14 PM #3
      i figured since your asking about a V-6 4-motion ,someone with a V-6 4-motion should reply thats pretty good for city driving with a 4-motion V-6,you should not complain, thats almost as good as some people w/ 4-motion get on highway i have a fwd passat , and awd passat, both V-6 w/tip with me driving the same distances/temps/conditions.........my city range is appx.close to that and depending on higway r/t length it is appx mid twenties,nowhere close to my fwd,but with the extra weight and drag of the 4-motion system ,thats what youll get,just keep rec. tire pressures up,premium fuel in ,clean and waxed always(low cf)so if your getting that w/o a k&N ,why bother, also make sure your airfilter/airbox and prefilter screen are clean too.............or convert it to alternative/biofuel

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI
      07-26-2006 08:50 PM #4
      Normally get 16/23. I ain't in no hurry to get nowheres {I'm an old fart}

5. 07-26-2006 09:30 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by truecures »

Tow it, you'll use 0 gas.

21.5 in town is good gas mileage for a V6. I get about 17- 20 in my S4 in town, and about 25 on the highway. You have nothing to worry about.

6. 09-14-2006 09:42 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by leroyal »
      Normally get 16/23. I ain't in no hurry to get nowheres {I'm an old fart}

I am so happy to hear this...my mileage is similar on my 2001.5 4MO...I thought I had something wrong with it...

7. 09-14-2006 09:53 AM #7
      OP is from Idaho--maybe his idea of "town" is equivalent to my New England idea of "highway," because I can only *dream* of 21 mpg city...

Avg probably 17/25 in my V6 4Mo wagon (highest ever observed tankful was 30.2, which required driving around 50 mph and shifting to neutral on the downhills--this was on a long, back-roads drive from upstate NH to Boston, and never repeated).

8. 09-14-2006 10:42 AM #8
      My typical driving is rural (40-65, few stops) & highway (75-85 from CO. Springs to Denver). I average about 26 per the MFD. Just checked actual on one tank and found the actual to be about .5 MPG less than the MFD. I'm reasonably satisfied, but I get over 30 in my '03 Acura 3.2TL Type-S and tend to be a bit heavier-footed with tat car from time-to-time. 21.5 in town (depending in the town, of course, CO & ID are not east coast cities or suburbs) is not bad. I'd probably get about that if my drving was primarily in Colorado Springs (samll city of about 500,000).

9. 09-14-2006 10:44 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by leroyal »
      {I'm an old fart}

Old is a state of mind!

Vehicles
      Loaded 2012 BMW 550xi M-Sport, Previous owner of 5 Passat 4 Motions; including a W8 and 3.6
      09-14-2006 11:14 AM #10
      Truecures, VW 4Motions, Audi Quattros, and for that matter any AWD vehicle will get slightly less fuel economy than 2WD versions. I wouldn't recommend using gauze or foam based filters because the oil can damage your car's MAF Sensor, and that can be an expensive repair. Just use the plain paper filters and make sure you remove any debris from the intake.

You might want to consider an ECU upgrade which can improve fuel economy and performance. Check GIAC and Upsolute for their 2.8L V6 30v Passat programs. Also, when you do the 40,000 mile service make sure you flush the brake fluid and consider a transmission pan/gasket/filter fluid replacement.

Good luck,

Will aka The Swami

11. 09-14-2006 05:06 PM #11
      Re: Acura--one thing that *really* bugs me about VW is how Honda is able to get, what, 240 hp? out of a similar motor AND get better MPG! I don't know how the torque curves compare, but I am betting that the overall greater power level is noticeable.

That said--I do not consider my Passat *grossly* underpowered (although, really, one can *always* use more power), but relative to its mpg it is.

I think the Hemi(!) gets similar mileage...

Ah well.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      V70R, CRV
      09-14-2006 05:28 PM #12
      Just wanted to post and say how much I love Ketchum. My parents have two condos up in Sun Valley and i love it up there.

As for mileage a air filter and even chip will make some improvement but driving style can make a bigger improvement than both of the alternatives. 22mpg in the city is already good, but ketchum isn't that big so I don't know how much city driving your really doing. How is your driving style?

13. 09-18-2006 09:48 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by darisgin »
      Re: Acura--one thing that *really* bugs me about VW is how Honda is able to get, what, 240 hp? out of a similar motor AND get better MPG! I don't know how the torque curves compare, but I am betting that the overall greater power level is noticeable.

The Type-S is 260hp. The extra 400cc's certainly help. Not sure on the torque curve, but step off is noticably better (excellent throttle response from a stand-still), performance is FAR better (although I've got a 4Motion), and the exhaust sound at higher RPM's is way cool! Need to do some work on my Passat!

14. 09-18-2006 11:32 AM #14
      If fuel economy is important...V6 engine and 4WD isn't the way to get it! You're never gonna come close to super mileage due to increased weight and power losses with that set up. Try pumpin up the tire pressure a few extra lbs and check it every two weeks to see it stays up there, that will help a bit!
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

Vehicles
      04 R32
      09-20-2006 12:30 PM #15
      Interesting, I do not baby the car and regularly get 26MPG in the city and get up to 30MPG on the highway while using 93 Octane fuel.
      This is on 01 Passat wagon, V6 FWD 5MT with almost 80K.

No one mentioned what fuel they were using in the car.

I did experience a noticable fuel economy loss with a slightly dirty air filter. Don't forget to clean up the screen inside the air box.

Also, the fuel economy can be affected by the tires on the car. The cars were originally equipped with energy saving (easy rolling resistance). I noticed in the past when using Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, the fuel economy was down by 2-3MPG.

DareK

16. 09-20-2006 03:25 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by truecures »

My car has high mileage, but changing plugs and cleaning the throttle body REALLY freaking helped.