Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AUX adapter install on 6-disc in-dash w/sat radio

1. 08-24-2006 10:58 AM #26
      Anybody? Is this adapter useless in this situation?

2. 08-25-2006 05:21 PM #27
      So what does the end of the aux look like? Is it an ipod plug in or is it the earpeice hook up deal that is in the 2007's ?

3. 08-26-2006 09:34 AM #28
      aux = headphone jack connection

4. 09-03-2006 07:20 PM #29
      Yeah so I got a 2007 with the aux in the glovebox and the single disc radio,but I switched the single disc with the 6 disc 2006 model. I dont see any different plug in on the back,everything snaps into the same places except for the extra plug where the sat would go. So im wondering why the aux is not working .

5. 09-20-2006 12:39 AM #30
      White = 1
      Red = 7
      Black = 3,
      I'm planning on undertaking this mod but using a cable that I put together myself. Question: white, red, black, which of these are left, right, and ground?

6. 09-20-2006 07:59 AM #31
      Black is ground, and red and white are the two channels, however I'm not sure which is which. When I installed mine, they were reversed on the SAT connector, so I ended up switching them. You might just plug them both in and put on a song that you know has a specific part on one side or the other. Since you don't have to disconnect the radio completely, you can turn it on and run it from your lap in case you need to reverse them.

7. 10-24-2007 02:53 PM #32
      I could not find this thread yesterday to save my life.

Vehicles
      '07 GTI, MT, 2-door
      10-25-2007 02:29 AM #33
      Quote, originally posted by overheadcam »
      Your choice of beer and OS, to help you relax and read about what you're doing:

You honestly and truely like that beer? I don't want to be a beer snob (though I complain about Bud whenever I can), but that stuff was some of the foulest beer I've ever tried and I've never met a single person who liked it.

9. 03-13-2008 11:04 PM #34
      Taking this thread from the underground...
      Red=Right / Left=White
      There is another way to connect this without having to make SAT Radio useless... Im almost sure now that using the iPod Adater pins can resolve this...
      Also overheadcam, can you scan the OEM instructions? How do you are cables plugged in the AUX adapter? can you post a picture?
      Quote, originally posted by overheadcam »
      Black is ground, and red and white are the two channels, however I'm not sure which is which. When I installed mine, they were reversed on the SAT connector, so I ended up switching them. You might just plug them both in and put on a song that you know has a specific part on one side or the other. Since you don't have to disconnect the radio completely, you can turn it on and run it from your lap in case you need to reverse them.
      Cheers
      REFACCIONES VW | MEXICO

10. 03-23-2008 10:19 AM #35
      has anyone figured it out if it will work with out sat radio?

11. 03-24-2008 07:55 PM #36
      Does this part also include the white plate used for the glovebox OEM mount? If not, where could I get that piece as well? Would this plug into that or what I need a different cable. I'm trying to convert from my iPod adapter to the OEM glovebox AUX port.

12. 03-26-2008 11:34 AM #37
      No one knows for certain?

13. 04-01-2008 03:17 PM #38
      Alright, I found the white piece that replaces the dome light separately. Does this part plug directly into it? If not, what does the end of this cable look like? Headphone jack?

14. 04-04-2008 11:52 AM #39
      As far as the Sat radio goes, I believe...
      Enfig makes an adapter that lets you use both, and you can't do this with a head unit that doesn't have a Sat tuner. The head unit still needs to receive a signal that the tuner is hooked up. You're just replacing the pins that send audio to the head unit from the tuner.
      The cable is just an 1/8" headphone plug on one end, and 3 wires with little metal clips on the other. If you want to mount it in the glovebox with that little white piece, you'll need to convert it from a male plug to a female. You'd have to probably do a little customization on it to get it to fit in that white thing too.
      I ended up drilling out one of the blank buttons on the console and putting an 1/8 jack in it. I just keep a male to male 3' cord in the glove box now if anyone wants to plug in.

Modified by overheadcam at 11:56 AM 4-4-2008

15. 04-04-2008 12:00 PM #40
      Oh, and yes I do like that beer. Note that in my instructions I said it's your choice, so feel free to substitute a watery lager in its place.

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1995 Camaro Z28
      10-12-2008 10:00 PM #41
      Is that a factory kit? If so, can someone piost the part number?
      If not a factory thing, where can I get it?
      Thanks.

17. 03-03-2009 02:49 AM #42
      I'm really interested in performing this DIY, but the pictures are gone! Is there another post describing a similar installation? Or a way to get the pictures back? Any help would be appreciated.

Vehicles
      MKV GTI and 2 90 Golfs
      03-03-2009 07:17 AM #43
      back from the dead! lol hit up the OP... i did something similar to this. and actually still works to this day!
      my 3 months was up, and wasn't using the sat no more, so i figured out which wires to tap... i just press the sat button, and i can hear my music form my zune...
      hold on...

edit: not the best way, but it works... just make sure your ground is good or else it'll play staticky
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3434653

Modified by MKII420 at 12:18 PM 3-3-2009
      .....~\________
      ..... ,//___l____\____
      ......|_____'_____!___]
      ......\_( O )_____( O )_/
      IG: DabBelizean

19. 03-03-2009 08:30 PM #44
      Ya, i've been sitting without sirius service for a long time and no plan to renew, finally decided to do a proper hookup for my iPod cause FM adapters suck. I like how you bypassed taking out the head unit, but I have a GLI and my sirius box is all the way back in the trunk, so its not exactly well located for what you did.
      How did you go about identifying the correct wires? I could follow any other instructions to get to the head-unit and then I think I just have to find which wires to switch out.

Vehicles
      MKV GTI and 2 90 Golfs
      03-04-2009 12:10 AM #45
      I forget, i asked someone in another thread... but i believe they might be the same colors behind the head unit... mine still works to this day!
      .....~\________
      ..... ,//___l____\____
      ......|_____'_____!___]

21. 03-04-2009 03:06 PM #46
      Awesome, that's good to know. I'm excited to finally put an AUX in my car.
      I think I'm going to go the cheap route like what you did and buy my parts at radio shack or something, and it got me wondering. What is the point of buying the VW part when you can buy any old stereo headphone cable and splice it and hook that up? Am I missing something special about the VW part (I'm referring to 000 051 444 M)? It seems that part comes with the plug that fits the back of the head unit, but can't I just use the one thats already back there for the SAT radio?

Vehicles
      MKV GTI and 2 90 Golfs
      03-04-2009 03:44 PM #47
      that's pretty much what i did... got a old headphone wire, and tapped the wires that are on the back of the SAT unit... same wires that go to the back of the head unit...
      u have to keep the connectors behind the sat tuner plugged in though or else it won't work... something about a can bus thing, that the radio has to get a signal for it to play... i forget.
      my 3 months free subscription was up so nothing would play, it just gave me a "no sat" or something...
      once i figured out what the the 3 wires were (+, - and ground), i connected it my mp3 player, and voila, it worked! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      .....~\________
      ..... ,//___l____\____
      ......|_____'_____!___]

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2008 b6 Passat 4-Motion
      03-04-2009 11:41 PM #48
      Quote, originally posted by tommycr »
      Awesome, that's good to know. I'm excited to finally put an AUX in my car.
      I think I'm going to go the cheap route like what you did and buy my parts at radio shack or something, and it got me wondering. What is the point of buying the VW part when you can buy any old stereo headphone cable and splice it and hook that up? Am I missing something special about the VW part (I'm referring to 000 051 444 M)? It seems that part comes with the plug that fits the back of the head unit, but can't I just use the one thats already back there for the SAT radio?

The VW part does not use the Sat radio input, there is a legitimate Aux input too - accessed by selecting CD twice, not the Sat key. I wouldn't call it special, but it is different than the method espoused in this post. With the VW part you don't splice or cut any wires, you plug it in to the factory location. At aprox $30 for the part number you show, its price doesn't seem terribly out of line for factory parts.
      2102 US Golf R, 2008 US b6 Passat 4-motion - sold 2006 US Mk V bmp GTI mt (230,000 miles/ 7 yrs)

24. 03-05-2009 02:03 AM #49
      Quote, originally posted by JetTurbo »
      The VW part does not use the Sat radio input, there is a legitimate Aux input too - accessed by selecting CD twice, not the Sat key. I wouldn't call it special, but it is different than the method espoused in this post. With the VW part you don't splice or cut any wires, you plug it in to the factory location. At aprox $30 for the part number you show, its price doesn't seem terribly out of line for factory parts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the head unit that comes in MY2006 lack an AUX input on the back? I have an 06 GLI package 1, so it came with SAT radio pre-installed, taking up all available inputs on the back of the head unit. I think it was the very next year they changed the head unit to include another input. Please tell me if I have understood incorrectly. Thanks.

25. 03-05-2009 02:22 AM #50
      you are correct, the 06's did not have aux jack and therefore it will disable your sat by doing this install.
      on a side note with the splicing the correct wires...If you use a 5 pin NC jack instead of a headphone cable (which can be obtained at radio shack for about $3) and instead of tapping into the wires, reroute them through the jack and then back to the head unit, you would be able to have sat working with the aux jack. just plug in a 1/8" patch cable into the jack and it would disconnect the sat, and unplug and it would reconnect the sat audio. I have looked into this but never found the time, I even bought the jack to do it.

Modified by empGLI at 11:23 PM 3-4-2009

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast