Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AUX adapter install on 6-disc in-dash w/sat radio

1. 07-27-2006 09:14 PM #1
      I received my $26 AUX adapter in the mail today, so I figured I'd snap a few pics during the installation in case anyone else wants to do the same thing I did.

Note: Installing this way disables your Sat. radio. This doesn't bother me. I never activated mine, and I don't plan to right away. It's totally reversable though. Don't quote me on this, but I believe there is an Enfig pass-thru that will let you use both. Also, your Sat info will still show up on the screen even though no audio from it is available. I kinda glossed over most of the "take out these screws here, pull this out there," stuff because there are great write-ups on disassembling the MKV dash already.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2591947
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2480895

First of all, you'll need a T20 Torx screwdriver and a soft plastic prying device of some kind. You may also want to include these tools:

Your choice of beer and OS, to help you relax and read about what you're doing:

For hot, dark garages, I recommend the CrotchFan™ (patent pending) and a shop light:

This is what's included in the package. Throw away the instructions because they don't help much. The only things you really need are the cable and the smallest black plug.

Take your dash apart per the other great write-ups. Note: depending on your package, you may not have anything to disconnect on the bottom of the vent. I didn't.:

This is the worst part of the whole thing. It feels like you're going to break it, but once you have it released in the back, it pulls straight up. It takes some force, but it'll finally come out. The worst part is that there's nothing to really pull on because the outer bezel is kinda flimsy:

Here's how excited I was after sweating my butt off carefully yanking on that thing for 10mins:

All right, so far this post has been pretty useless, but this is the important part. Once you get your radio out and remove the harness, you'll notice a blue plug on the bottom left (if you're looking at the back of the radio) of the harness. That's the Sat plug. You'll want to replace it with the AUX plug. When you push the pins into the plug, put them in like this:

White = 1
      Red = 7
      Black = 3

Note: Don't go by the Sat's pinout. It's correct, except that the red and white are reversed. Good thing I checked before I put everything back together.

You can feed the 1/8" jack into the glove compartment fairly easily if you have skinny wrists. Just reach around both sides and push it into your hand from the radio side.

Make sure you test it out before you re-assemble everything. I can't be held responsible if you have to take your dash apart again. Your radio screen will say Sat Radio on it, but you'll hear whatever's plugged in. Enjoy!

Modified by overheadcam at 8:42 PM 7-27-2006

Vehicles
      2013 Golf TDI DSG w/Tech Package, 2012 Tiguan SEL
      07-27-2006 09:23 PM #2
      you my friend are the man. i just bought this adaptor (and i bought the enfig sat pass thru as well, so hopefully i will be able to retain my SAT radio). this helps to clarify some questions that i had. thanks!

Vehicles
      MVI GTI
      07-28-2006 03:04 AM #3
      Ah hah! This may be the culprit for my problem. I just picked up my car tonight. The dealer installed the Aux plug for the ipod. Ipod works but no sound from satelite radio. Maybe they weren't aware they needed the Enfig? I'm showing satelite stations but no sound. Could this be why?

Vehicles
      07-28-2006 03:07 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by jaxmini »
      Ah hah! This may be the culprit for my problem. I just picked up my car tonight. The dealer installed the Aux plug for the ipod. Ipod works but no sound from satelite radio. Maybe they weren't aware they needed the Enfig? I'm showing satelite stations but no sound. Could this be why?

yep, you need one of these. this will allow you to keep your SAT and add the AUX. i will be doing mine next week if you want to wait until i can confirm that it positively works.

Vehicles
      MVI GTI
      07-28-2006 03:10 AM #5
      Landon, that would be great, thank you. I should have checked this before leaving the dealer. Too excited about the ipod working to check the satelite.

Vehicles
      07-28-2006 03:16 AM #6
      I will definatly let you know (you may need to remind me).

Vehicles
      MVI GTI
      07-28-2006 03:20 AM #7
      Will do.

Vehicles
      2012 RB Golf R
      07-28-2006 08:20 AM #8
      I'm still curious as to whether or not this will work on a pacakge 0 car that doesn't have SAT radio. Anyone know?

9. 07-30-2006 08:54 PM #9
      Landon...FINALLY we find someone to confirm that this works. Now on with out projects my good man. By the way...you better make sure to look me up when u get to C-bus. I was just down there this weekend and its the best place EVER

10. 07-30-2006 08:57 PM #10
      Landon--my bad...i mistook you for someone else. HAHA. But anyhow, I am with you on the AUX adapter.

11. 08-03-2006 04:16 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Volkswagen Golf »
      I'm still curious as to whether or not this will work on a pacakge 0 car that doesn't have SAT radio. Anyone know?

I've been wondering the same thing but I have my doubts. Since there is no SAT button, I'm guessing we don't have a SAT input to hook up to. We can still use the CD changer adapter that Enfig sells, the Blitzsafe v.5--although it's a tad more expensive.

Vehicles
      2012 RB Golf R
      08-03-2006 04:29 PM #12
      I would love to get some confirmation either way.

13. 08-03-2006 04:41 PM #13
      dont Kill me guys, but I thought all 2007 rabbits have an aux jack? Correct me if i'm wrong

Vehicles
      67 Bug, 92 Miata, 12 Golf R.
      08-03-2006 05:49 PM #14
      Added to FAQ.

Nice choice in beer and laptop.

15. 08-04-2006 01:52 PM #15
      where did you buy the adapter from?
      how do you control the ipod?

16. 08-05-2006 09:17 PM #16
      So, Landon, what did you find out?

Vehicles
      08-05-2006 09:28 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by bubbanc »
      So, Landon, what did you find out?

it is a no go. the OEM aux cable cannot work with the sat pass thru because there is nothing telling the HU that there is a "cd changer" hooked up. basically you will need to buy a blitzsafe (or similar) aux unit, which DOES tell the HU that there is a "cd changer" hooked up. i just ordered the blitzsafe ipod adaptor last night for 69.99 plus shipping from enfig. not too bad, plus, now my ****ty 3G ipod with a bum battery can be used for more than 30 mins! thanks apple!

18. 08-05-2006 09:43 PM #18
      I'm pondering going with the Blitzsafe AUX adapter + SAT pass thru so I can use the headphone out rather than having to use the ipod connector. This will let me set my ipod in my drink holder without the ipod connector getting in the way. I'm just worried about the ground lead on the blitzsafe that looks like it needs to be mounted on something. I guess I could just break down and buy the DICE w/ both ipod and aux, but it seems a bit pricey for what you get.

19. 08-05-2006 10:29 PM #19
      Where did you get this? It's exactly what I want. I have no use for the SAT since it doesnt work after 2 xm swaps. I am asking about the kit the OP installed. I know of the blitzsafe one already.

20. 08-16-2006 01:22 PM #20
      Is this adapter OEM? If you, could you give the part number? If not, where did you get it? I want to do the same setup to use with an aftermarket sat radio.

21. 08-20-2006 11:07 AM #21
      000 051 444 M

I ordered mine from worldimpex.com. It's the OEM VW Aux adapter, and it's sold specifically from VW for the NAV head unit. Obviously though, it works with Non-NAV units with SAT input.

$24.70

Cheers,
      -Cam

22. 08-20-2006 12:34 PM #22
      Nice instal man but I have a question. To activate the ipod do you press SAT or cD? I ask becasue I just put it a phatnoise and I kept my sat radio by installing the the pins for the cd changer in the blanks not occupied, now the pnoise works and the sat works. Is this an option or is the ipod different? My GF wants to know, she has a GTI too.

23. 08-22-2006 10:48 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by overheadcam »
      000 051 444 M

I ordered mine from worldimpex.com. It's the OEM VW Aux adapter, and it's sold specifically from VW for the NAV head unit. Obviously though, it works with Non-NAV units with SAT input.

$24.70

Cheers,
      -Cam

Thanks. Good writeup. Got mine today, getting 6cd changer unit tomorrow. Took everything apart today, ready for tomorrow's install. And yes, everything is easy, but pulling the vents off is a biat*h

Modified by dima237 at 8:43 PM 8-22-2006

24. 08-23-2006 06:41 PM #24
      Ok, so what am I doing wrong? I connected everything as in the DIY. However when I press SAT button, it says "NO SAT RADIO"

I never had the sat module, just swapped VE radio for the premium one.

1. Did I screw up with connections?
      2. Do I need VAG-COM to enable something?
      3. Am I missing something else?

I'm just trying to use SAT input as an AUX input for an aftermarket sat radio.

25. 08-23-2006 08:29 PM #25
      I just did this today too hoping someone knows the answer.

26. 08-24-2006 11:58 AM #26
      Anybody? Is this adapter useless in this situation?

27. 08-25-2006 06:21 PM #27
      So what does the end of the aux look like? Is it an ipod plug in or is it the earpeice hook up deal that is in the 2007's ?

28. 08-26-2006 10:34 AM #28
      aux = headphone jack connection

29. 09-03-2006 08:20 PM #29
      Yeah so I got a 2007 with the aux in the glovebox and the single disc radio,but I switched the single disc with the 6 disc 2006 model. I dont see any different plug in on the back,everything snaps into the same places except for the extra plug where the sat would go. So im wondering why the aux is not working .

30. 09-20-2006 01:39 AM #30
      White = 1
      Red = 7
      Black = 3,

I'm planning on undertaking this mod but using a cable that I put together myself. Question: white, red, black, which of these are left, right, and ground?

31. 09-20-2006 08:59 AM #31
      Black is ground, and red and white are the two channels, however I'm not sure which is which. When I installed mine, they were reversed on the SAT connector, so I ended up switching them. You might just plug them both in and put on a song that you know has a specific part on one side or the other. Since you don't have to disconnect the radio completely, you can turn it on and run it from your lap in case you need to reverse them.

32. 10-24-2007 03:53 PM #32
      I could not find this thread yesterday to save my life.

Vehicles
      '07 GTI, MT, 2-door
      10-25-2007 03:29 AM #33
      Your choice of beer and OS, to help you relax and read about what you're doing:

You honestly and truely like that beer? I don't want to be a beer snob (though I complain about Bud whenever I can), but that stuff was some of the foulest beer I've ever tried and I've never met a single person who liked it.

34. 03-14-2008 12:04 AM #34
      Taking this thread from the underground...
      Red=Right / Left=White
      There is another way to connect this without having to make SAT Radio useless... Im almost sure now that using the iPod Adater pins can resolve this...

Also overheadcam, can you scan the OEM instructions? How do you are cables plugged in the AUX adapter? can you post a picture?

Black is ground, and red and white are the two channels, however I'm not sure which is which. When I installed mine, they were reversed on the SAT connector, so I ended up switching them. You might just plug them both in and put on a song that you know has a specific part on one side or the other. Since you don't have to disconnect the radio completely, you can turn it on and run it from your lap in case you need to reverse them.
      Cheers
      REFACCIONES VW | MEXICO

35. 03-23-2008 11:19 AM #35
      has anyone figured it out if it will work with out sat radio?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast