Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symptoms of a bad fuel filter?

1. 08-11-2006 11:40 AM #1
      I need some help, my car has been steadily getting worse with it's hesitation and surging problems. Last night when I was driving it I was getting these problems at all RPMs and now that I think of it, it seemed to get worse when I'd go up hill. Does it sound like the fuel filter could be the problem? What typically are the signs of a bad fuel filter? Would a clogged filter get hot?

Vehicles
      93 Corrado, 99 A4 Avant
      08-11-2006 11:48 AM #2
      im having the same exact problem as we speak

at first it was intermittent, now its happening every time i drive, i put some fuel injector cleaner in and that helped a little

fuel filter is one thing i have to check, but im thinking it might be some other things like, injectors, Fuel Pressure Regulator, knock sensor, or the CO pot, i also have my suspicions it may be the pump, but thats last

if anyone else has had problems like this any help would be appreciated

- Ben
      93 Corrado VR6
      99 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro

3. 08-11-2006 03:29 PM #3
      The filter is cheap, easy and should have been replaced by now. Do that first.

Vehicles
      My baby: 1995 Corrado 2.9 VR (OBD2), My daily: 2014 CC R-Line, Wife's ride: 2010 Tiguan S 4Motion
      08-11-2006 06:46 PM #4
      if it's bucking, then i just overcame that problem. for me, it was a problem with the fuel pump relay.
      Corrado Autobiography
      Past German cars owned: 1970 BMW 2002, 1987 VW Fox sedan, 2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2003 VW Passat wagon, 2013 VW CC Sport
      Past non-German cars owned: 1990 Toyota Corolla, 1998 Honda Civic EX, 2002 Subaru Outback

Vehicles
      '94 35i VR
      08-11-2006 07:09 PM #5
      my car stalls intermittenly, sometimes without starting back up for a bit, my fuel filter looks old so im going to replace it anyways, but is there anything else that could cause this before i make 108708790 trips to the parts store?

Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC, 2004 Audi S4, 1994 Prelude VTEC
      08-12-2006 12:22 PM #6
      I had this problem when I first got the car. Fuel pressure regulator did it. But if you cannot remember the last time you changed your fuel filter, you should probably do it now. VW puts the fuel filter in a very interesting location

7. 08-12-2006 04:54 PM #7
      I had a similar fuel problem, about a year ago ...repair went: relay, filter, pump...pump did it.

Vehicles
      My baby: 1995 Corrado 2.9 VR (OBD2), My daily: 2014 CC R-Line, Wife's ride: 2010 Tiguan S 4Motion
      08-12-2006 06:37 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by ridefuel »
      I had a similar fuel problem, about a year ago ...repair went: relay, filter, pump...pump did it.

Yup, like I said, replace the relay. I did the relay and filter. Car doesn't stall or buck anymore. But, the acceleration isn't all there. So, I'm gonna do the pump soon.

Corrado Autobiography
      Past German cars owned: 1970 BMW 2002, 1987 VW Fox sedan, 2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2003 VW Passat wagon, 2013 VW CC Sport
      Past non-German cars owned: 1990 Toyota Corolla, 1998 Honda Civic EX, 2002 Subaru Outback

9. 08-12-2006 07:15 PM #9
      Where should one get the relay?

10. Banned
      08-12-2006 07:34 PM #10
      Got mine from worldpac for $4.50 but you have to have an account. Pretty sure http://www.germanautoparts.com has them for under $10.

11. 08-12-2006 07:36 PM #11
      thanks

12. 08-13-2006 04:07 AM #12
      I've got a 93 vr6 new style interior. And when I start my car and drive sometimes it stalls with the clutch in and sometimes it jerks around. I've replaced the coil pack and it stopped for about 6 months or more. Does this mean I should check my fuel pump or relay or concentrate back on the coil pack?

13. 08-13-2006 04:51 AM #13
      CLEAN THE MAF plug, I had this problem and when i unplugged the MAF there was all sorts of corrosion. After cleaning it with a toothbrush and some Coke (which works ) my problems were gone.

Then I bought a tube of die electric auto grease and used that on the connection

this is my response to the initial post, it just sounded alot like my problems and its what fixed it for me to clear that up.

I did however start with fuel components first to find out it wasnt that

Modified by albeevr6 at 4:53 AM 8-13-2006

Vehicles
      92 corrado slc, 91 jetta gli, 92 passat, 04 beetle turbo 's", 91 golf, 90 jetta coupe
      08-13-2006 11:07 PM #14
      the problem i have when theres about a quater tank left when i turn right real hard the cars bogs till it gets straight and then it gets going iam gonna do fuel filter to see if it helps (need to be done anyway) can anyone tell me how to change it as in do in need to pull a fuse or clamp fuel hose other wise i know how to do the rest remove clamp install new filter

15. 08-13-2006 11:15 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by whoisitwho »
      the problem i have when theres about a quater tank left when i turn right real hard the cars bogs till it gets straight and then it gets going iam gonna do fuel filter to see if it helps (need to be done anyway) can anyone tell me how to change it as in do in need to pull a fuse or clamp fuel hose other wise i know how to do the rest remove clamp install new filter

this is most likely caused by a bad pick up tube ... the one that goes from the in-tank pump, that sits on the floor of the tank, to the top of the tank where it connects inside to the 90 degree connection. I had this problem on my old mk2, but those are rubber ours are plastic.

Vehicles
      92 corrado slc, 91 jetta gli, 92 passat, 04 beetle turbo 's", 91 golf, 90 jetta coupe
      08-13-2006 11:19 PM #16
      can you tell me what i need then? a whole new sender?

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR6T DE
      11-30-2009 05:01 PM #17
      im having this problem right now with my car. i don't know when the fuel filter was replaced, car has 145K on it. The motor has a grand or so.

When im driving with more than a quarter tank. i don't notice any problems - but as soon as I get below like a quarter tank. The engine will hesitate real hard, as soon as I go to give it throttle it bucks unless im real easy on the throttle or at real high rpms.

i'm going to do the fuel filter just given the mileage and if its never been done. But from what I have been searching is that the pick up tube tends to be the problem?

Does this mean I have to buy a new pump? Do I have to drop the tank to access this tube?

I'm more inclined to put in a walboro 255 high volume/output (powers my 347whp nitrous Lincoln just fine.

I assume this is the standard street pump everyone uses. Guys do it in there hondas... is this pump easily work in our cars or what kind of performance fuel pumps are out there?

i know the walboro runs about a hundred bucks

http://advanceautoparts.tellapal.com/a/clk/4G31dh
      40% off Advance Auto Coupon friends and family

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      11-30-2009 05:11 PM #18
      I replace my fuel filters about once a year... It is a cheap replacement why wait on it.
      SPOONFEDTUNING - For all of your carbon fiber Corrado needs.
      Quote Originally Posted by ein View Post
      * IMPORTANT* The English language is completely inadequate for describing how spectacularly stupid this thread is.
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      Is society really getting dumber or is it just this forum?

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR6T DE
      11-30-2009 05:59 PM #19
      yea looks easy enough to do under there. But i fear from my searching the pick up or something on the pump is probably the culprit from someone elses description of there problem, when it gets under a quarter thank theres pick up issues.

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      11-30-2009 06:01 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by Corrado****** »
      yea looks easy enough to do under there. But i fear from my searching the pick up or something on the pump is probably the culprit from someone elses description of there problem, when it gets under a quarter thank theres pick up issues.

You know you have 2 fuel pumps right? Sounds like you are starving the intank transfer pump

* IMPORTANT* The English language is completely inadequate for describing how spectacularly stupid this thread is.

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR6T DE
      11-30-2009 06:24 PM #21
      my cars a 91, doesn't it only have one intank pump? I was searching through german autoparts and i see the 90 has two but looked like the 91- had only one, and the early stuff they don't make anymore, ide have to upgrade to vdo and the level float for the pump vdo. its like a 400 dollar thing?

ide somehow want to rig up a performance pump. 400 is a kick in the balls!

Modified by Corrado****** at 11:37 PM 11-30-2009

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      11-30-2009 06:32 PM #22
      my cars a 91, doesn't it only have one intank pump? I was searching through german autoparts and i see the 90 has two but looked like the 91- had only one, and the early stuff they don't make anymore, ide have to upgrade to vdo and the level float for the pump vdo. its like a 400 dollar thing?

ide somehow want to rig up a performance pump. 400 is a kick in the balls!

Oh then you have a vr6 style pump... If you go to a high flow pump like a walbro pump you cant get below a 1/4 of a tank

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR6T DE
      11-30-2009 06:37 PM #23
      ok so wtf is going with my car then?

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR6T DE
      11-30-2009 06:40 PM #24
      the car still runs it just hickups at low gas levels at low rpms right when you get on it

Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC (I miss you) 2001 gti 1.8t
      11-30-2009 06:41 PM #25
      My car is a 1993 SLC and When ever I make hard right turns with less then a 1/4 tank it bucks for a lil bit. ANd it also randomly bucks as well. I got my filters changed but did not fix it so Im gonna clean the MAF plug now and if that doesnt work fuel pump.
      1993 Corrado SLC *sold* (I miss her)
      2001 GTi 1.8T- Koni Coilovers. GIAC X+ Autotech Catback. TT Big Brakes. TT Short Shifter. Santa Monicas

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      11-30-2009 06:49 PM #26
      the car still runs it just hickups at low gas levels at low rpms right when you get on it

Then put gas in it... Problem solved! Seriously though you are cavitation in the pump with low fuel levels

Quote, originally posted by omega260 »
      My car is a 1993 SLC and When ever I make hard right turns with less then a 1/4 tank it bucks for a lil bit. ANd it also randomly bucks as well. I got my filters changed but did not fix it so Im gonna clean the MAF plug now and if that doesnt work fuel pump.

Again put some gas in it...

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR6T DE
      11-30-2009 06:50 PM #27
      well the fuel filter should be done as routine maintainance, I am going to do it, but I highly doubt that this is the problem. It doesn't happen when i make turns it just happes at certain levels where the fuel level would normally be lower. when im demanding less fuel from the motor and then demand.

The easiest problem is to just keep a lot of gas in the car, but i'm not usually that well off! I read someting about the pick up tube messing up and causing this sorta thing and wanted to know does a new fuel pump cure this or is this someting thats attached to the tank?

or could it just be a bad fuel filter? don't remember this happening when I had the g60 motor in there, but its definetly cause and effect fuel level related.

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      11-30-2009 07:00 PM #28
      well the fuel filter should be done as routine maintainance, I am going to do it, but I highly doubt that this is the problem. It doesn't happen when i make turns it just happes at certain levels where the fuel level would normally be lower. when im demanding less fuel from the motor and then demand.

The easiest problem is to just keep a lot of gas in the car, but i'm not usually that well off! I read someting about the pick up tube messing up and causing this sorta thing and wanted to know does a new fuel pump cure this or is this someting thats attached to the tank?

or could it just be a bad fuel filter? don't remember this happening when I had the g60 motor in there, but its definetly cause and effect fuel level related.

you don't have a pickup tube. Its all built into the pump. Pull the cover off the pump and pull the pump out you will see what im talking about.

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR6T DE
      11-30-2009 07:06 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by TheBurninator »

Then put gas in it... Problem solved! Seriously though you are cavitation in the pump with low fuel levels

Again put some gas in it...

yea thats the simple fix! but i just want to know WHY its doing this? Bad pump?

okay i see the picture from GAP what the whole housing looks like... so if theres no "pick up tube" per say than what does what? I read up a post that had pictures from a 93 or 94 vr but there were RED x's there and it was something inside the fuel tank that deteriorated that would casue this problem.

Modified by Corrado****** at 12:08 AM 12-1-2009

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR6T DE
      11-30-2009 07:10 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by omega260 »

sounds like we have similar problems..

Vehicles
      Corrado VR6, Golf MK2 Syncro
      12-01-2009 08:01 AM #31
      My Corrados fuelfitler havent been changed for some time... It looks the same as the underside of the car... HAHA!

32. 08-06-2011 01:39 PM #32
      the fuel filter would be a great place to start, they are cheap and easy to install.... fuel filters will cause engine hesitation, stalling, rough engine idle, reduction in engine power, and sometimes it gets to the point where your car won't start. mine was only 10 dollars and i installed it myself... keep in mind that you should change it every 30,000 miles to prevent any problems.

33. 01-11-2012 02:41 PM #33
      if Injector cleaner or other such fuel additives/cleaners work, then its likely a clog. Fuel Filter or CAT.

I had these symptoms on and off at 3.5-4.5k rpm. Misfires as well. Plugs, wires, checked coil pack. Misfires gone, still sputter, then boooggg... MPG down to 15 from 29!!!

Ripped around in circles one night for 20 min, came home, looked under the car and saw my CAT glowing like Hailey's comet!

Cut out the CAT, and I'm better, but not completely fixed. Fuel Filter is next for me.

Only other thought is that there a restriction further down the exhaust system, resonator and muffler are still in place.

Also hear that the cam position sensor may cause some of the same sort of problems.

Vehicles
      Orig Owner 90 G60 & 02 Allroad 6Sp Man w/ 3rd Row Seat 97 Triple White New Beetle 2.5 6SP Auto (JUA)
      01-11-2012 03:16 PM #34
      Nice to see these old posts coming back. I know of the guaranteed way to see if my fuel filter in my '90 is bad or not. Spend under $20 get a new one by loosening the two hose clamps under the car and reversing the procedure with a new filter.

My filter was bad. I replaced it and then it led me to the next issue. My acceleration hesitation went from occurring almost all the time to not as often. The permanent fix was replacing the motor . Upon removal of it's original block with over 300K miles a combination of bad motor mounts and a poorly repaired down-pipe was the issue.

Under harder acceleration the motor would rock, allow the repaired down-pipe to rub on the rack, transmit vibration back to the motor and immediately have the knock sensor cut the timing back. Installing the new motor after 22 years really shows how many things can be wrong with a G60 motor and still have it running. All humor aside thanks for reviving the thread and researching and your question. Just change out the filter since it's cheap and has to be done as regular maintenance anyway. The results after you swap it out will be your answer.

I changed the fuel filter 2x in 22 years on my car. After all the fuel dried out of the filter the old one was noticeably heavier than the new one it replaced.

"Hhhmm Iiinnnteresting"
      Last edited by petethepug; 01-11-2012 at 11:57 PM.

35. 01-12-2012 11:43 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by petethepug View Post
      Under harder acceleration the motor would rock, allow the repaired down-pipe to rub on the rack, transmit vibration back to the motor and immediately have the knock sensor cut the timing back. Installing the new motor after 22 years really shows how many things can be wrong with a G60 motor and still have it running.

"Hhhmm Iiinnnteresting"
      NO SH@T!?!? So on my drive home (insert booooog here) I get the notification email of your post. I, of course, read your post on my phone while driving. I get home, and in town car runs normal. Park it, then go to store later. Running wonderfully! Upon leaving the store I bring it up to about 3-3.5k rpm at the RED, and ready, set, Go... straight to HELL! As soon as it transferred power to the wheels it chocked and the bog was back. No warm up, no clog, no aliens...

Sounds kind like the motor mount knock sensor scenario. Hmmmm...
      Thanks, I would have NEVER looked at motor mounts for the cause of these symptoms. (still doing fuel filter)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast