Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Strange noise from rear right corner (07 Rabbit)

1. 08-26-2006 01:16 AM #1
      Sorry for another one of these "what's this noise post" but I'm curious if anyone else hears this or might know what it is.

I'm driving for about 5 minutes and I stop at a light and hear this tapping noise like shhhhh...shhhh....shhhh (about 4 beats per second), kinda like air pumping quickly and it lasts for about 1 minute. It's not too loud. It goes away for the rest of the drive.

To describe the noise, if you've ever had your blood pressure checked by a doctor, he puts the thing on your arm and pumps it a bunch of times. It sounds kind of like that but the beat is more rapid. I can hear it from inside the car and from the outside. It's definitely from the right rear, I listen close to the right rear shock and can hear it. It's not the regular shocks hissing sound since the car is not moving.

2. 08-26-2006 03:43 AM #2
      are you driving the car? what kind of car? does it speed up when you go faster?

Modified by rickdreyes at 11:47 PM 8-25-2006

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      08-26-2006 06:11 AM #3
      lol... i find that funny. was the car moving up and down or something? must be pressurized gas or something
      mujjuman

4. 08-26-2006 08:49 AM #4
      bring it in to vw make them find out go for a drive with the tech and they will fix it under werenty if its a problem.

better safe then sorry/ problems down the road.

Vehicles
      2014 Passat TSI SE
      08-26-2006 10:15 AM #5
      If I'm not mistaken it's the leak detection pump you're hearing. It basically pumps air into the evap system to check for leaks. It's actually more complicated than that but that's the condensed version. My wife has an 01.5 Passat and it does the same exact thing.

HTH,

6. 08-26-2006 10:32 AM #6
      I have a new Rabbit and hear a similar sound - although mine is more of a harder tick-tick-tick - very regular. Most noticeable when coming to a stop and while stopped. Only heard shortly after start up and seems to come from the right rear. I was wondering if it might be a fuel pump?

Goes in to the dealer on Wed.

Jim

7. 08-26-2006 11:03 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by abqhudson »
      I have a new Rabbit and hear a similar sound - although mine is more of a harder tick-tick-tick - very regular. Most noticeable when coming to a stop and while stopped. Only heard shortly after start up and seems to come from the right rear. I was wondering if it might be a fuel pump?

Goes in to the dealer on Wed.

Jim

Jim, mine can also be interpreted as tick, tick, tick (or very fast pulses of gas). Please post back to this thread when your dealer gives you an answer. Thanks. (My guess was fuel pump also.)

rickdreyes, as I said, it's an 07 Rabbit and the car is running and is standing still, like at a stoplight. So far I don't think it happens while it is moving but maybe because I can't hear it. I've heard it with the parking brake both engaged and not engaged.

8. 08-26-2006 12:05 PM #8
      huh, I've got a 2006 GTI, and my car does the same exact thing. Come to a stop first thing in the morning, or if leaving work at 5:00. Tick...tick....tick...tick....from the right rear while holding the brakes down at a stop. Usually goes away after 5 minutes of driving. I won't hear it every day though. Only happens I would say 20% of the time.

It concerns me, so I'll check back on this thread and see if your dealer had any ideas to what it is.

9. 08-26-2006 12:14 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by vw4ross »
      huh, I've got a 2006 GTI, and my car does the same exact thing. Come to a stop first thing in the morning, or if leaving work at 5:00. Tick...tick....tick...tick....from the right rear while holding the brakes down at a stop. Usually goes away after 5 minutes of driving. I won't hear it every day though. Only happens I would say 20% of the time.

It concerns me, so I'll check back on this thread and see if your dealer had any ideas to what it is.

Mine also doesn't seem to happen EVERY time I drive, but I think for me it's more than 20% of the time.

Something tells me the car does not have to be stopped for it to happen. I thought I heard it today while moving, 1 minute after starting to drive. The thing is, it's a fairly quiet noise, so maybe it's just that we can only hear it when the car is stopped and idling quietly.

10. 08-26-2006 12:17 PM #10
      It is possible...I'll have to durn down the radio and listen more. I'd really like to know what this weird noise is.

11. 08-26-2006 12:30 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by davela72 »
      If I'm not mistaken it's the leak detection pump you're hearing. It basically pumps air into the evap system to check for leaks. It's actually more complicated than that but that's the condensed version. My wife has an 01.5 Passat and it does the same exact thing.

HTH,

I think davela may be correct. I found this in the Golf IV R32 - R32 FAQ and DIY thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1285689

Various strange sounds the R32 makes:
      Loud whirring just after unlocking and opening the door is fuel pump.
      Quiet high pitched whirring from rear passenger seat area while car is running, fuel pump.
      Clicking/popping from passenger rear just after start-up is Evap system leak detection pump.

Vehicles
      2014 Passat TSI SE
      08-26-2006 01:19 PM #12
      I know on my wife's Passat the pump is in the drivers side fender well, rear f course. I usually hear it when she comes home and is letting the car idle for a minute or so, gotta preserve that turbo But yes, it's a thumping sound for 15-20 sec I'd guess and the leak pump is what it is.

I've never really noticed on my Rabbit as I've always got the music up loud. I just some checking and the pump is indeed in the right rear fender well on these cars. So, chances are that's what you're hearing.

13. 08-26-2006 01:46 PM #13
      i hear a noise back there when i open the drivers door and the car has been parked for a while.i was told it was the fuel pump priming it self.on my truck i had this similar noise that you are describing and it was when the car was moving .it sounded like something was stuck in the tire.it was the balancing weights on the inside of the rim rubbing on the brake rotors. i also think you are hearing the fuel pump.

Vehicles
      2014 Passat TSI SE
      08-26-2006 01:51 PM #14
      The noise you hear when you first open the door is the fuel pump priming, that I know for sure

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      08-26-2006 05:29 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by davela72 »
      The noise you hear when you first open the door is the fuel pump priming, that I know for sure

yep, its true. most of the noises our VWs make are normal.

mujjuman