Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: My car randomly locks and unlocks itself

1. 08-26-2006 03:51 AM #1
      The title says it all. My car will lock and unlock itself ramdomly. It's been doing this for about a day until I reached under the dash and unplugged the keyless entry module. Is this normal?

2. 08-26-2006 01:02 PM #2
      Could something else be on this frequency?

3. 08-26-2006 01:25 PM #3
      So let me guess, you go out to your car and you unlock it, then like 30 seconds later it relocks itself?

4. 08-26-2006 05:44 PM #4
      hahahaha happens to me like once a month, i lock it put my keys in my pocket and walk away then honk! i just stoped paying attention

5. 08-26-2006 07:11 PM #5
      mine will lock itself if i pop the trunk without unlocking doors first, close trunk and a few seconds later... lock.
      good stuff.

Vehicles
      76 Rabbit
      08-26-2006 08:36 PM #6
      if i open mine it will lock it self and beep like 30 seconds after i open it,.. also when i open my car with just the key and open the door the alarm goes off.. does any1 know why it does this?? and my alram blip doesnt blink can some1 help

Vehicles
      mk3 Jetta wolfsburg
      08-26-2006 09:02 PM #7
      why dont you first try to disconnect the battery come back in 15 minutes and reconnect it....

Idk if that will help though...

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      I own a wish-list. In four shades of blue.
      08-26-2006 09:07 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by mk3 Ginster Gti »
      if i open mine it will lock it self and beep like 30 seconds after i open it,.. also when i open my car with just the key and open the door the alarm goes off.. does any1 know why it does this?? and my alram blip doesnt blink can some1 help

sounds like two problems. 1) your door contact switch is intermittently failing, and 2) your latch mechanism has a bad switch in it. When you do a double-turn of the key, does the central locking pump open all the doors, or no?

For the OP, there's a chance you just have some cracked and shorted wires in the boot that goes into your door.

My car
      and its identity crisis
      I dodged a bullet there. Note to self: cease fire.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” — Mario Andretti

9. 08-27-2006 02:23 AM #9
      What happens is i'll lock it then it will unlock a few times possibly pop the trunk arm itself every once in a while randomly whenever the best is when i'm driving and the alarm starts going off.

10. 08-27-2006 02:24 AM #10
      Yeah double turn unlocks all the doors

Vehicles
      FA5
      08-27-2006 02:28 AM #11
      yeah mines does it too like wen i have the hatch open i hear the honk and i just unlock it again and go on with life....

Vehicles
      1996 Catalina Blue GTI
      08-27-2006 02:32 AM #12
      yah, the vaccuum pump will activate if the door switch is still bad.. this happeend to a friend of mines, he couldn't unlock the car... you probably need to replace the door lock mechanism.. the whole thing that attatches to the latch. Spendy, but it usually works.

Also, check your ground wires... that causes problems sometimes.

facebook.com/thetitleist

Function over form! But it doesn't hurt to look good...

Vehicles
      1996 Catalina Blue GTI
      08-27-2006 02:34 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Flip_mode »
      The title says it all. My car will lock and unlock itself ramdomly. It's been doing this for about a day until I reached under the dash and unplugged the keyless entry module. Is this normal?

Mine did this too, but so often the battery on my remote died.. I believe it is a defectice remote, in my case at least... try taking the remote off your keyring for a while.

facebook.com/thetitleist

Function over form! But it doesn't hurt to look good...

14. 08-27-2006 03:05 AM #14
      do you wear your keyless entry on a clip on your belt loops? if so then you might be sitting on it, for it to lock and unlock your car, also after 30 seconds it usually locks itself

Vehicles
      '10 Golf TDI & '90 Corrado G60
      08-27-2006 03:06 AM #15
      check your grounds in your doors
      2010 Golf TDI - Revo Stage 1 - Neuspeed Intake
      All mods have been approved and endorsed by Accidental L8 apex

Vehicles
      76 Rabbit
      08-27-2006 03:39 PM #16
      when i put my key in and turn it 2wice it only opens the driver side door and when i open the door the alarm goes off.. and my frineds opens both doors and opens and closes his sunroof.. mine does do that ..

17. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      I own a wish-list. In four shades of blue.
      08-27-2006 03:45 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by mk3 Ginster Gti »
      when i put my key in and turn it 2wice it only opens the driver side door and when i open the door the alarm goes off.. and my frineds opens both doors and opens and closes his sunroof.. mine does do that ..

Yours is easy: either it's a broken wire going to the microswitch in the lock/latch, or the switch itself is bad. The mechanical parts are working, but the electronics aren't. If the same is true of your passenger door lock, there may be something else going on.

My car
      and its identity crisis
      I dodged a bullet there. Note to self: cease fire.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” — Mario Andretti