Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 01045 - Tiptronic switch (F189), implausible signal - info here!

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta, Jetta and R32
      09-06-2006 08:57 PM #1
      Learned something new today....

For those of you with tiptronic trans, if your PRNDL display blocks out and you have the inplausible signal DTC, here is something to check (for what it is worth, I seem to only run into this with the NB)...

The tiptronic switch asm uses HAL sensors and magnets. There are two magnets, a very tiny brick shapped one, a cyclinder shaped one. The cyclinder shaped one is in a little bracket that slides/snaps to a plastic carrier strip. What will happen is the bracket that holds the cyclinder magnet will pop loose and move back about 1mm, just enough to screw with you.

I had a brand new car with that DTC, my wiring tested out perfect. I order a new Tip switch and install... same issue. Hmmm... maybe I got a dud out of the box, order another switch... again, same problem. Turns out ALL THREE OF THEM had the same problem. I took the tiptronic switch asm all apart (simple, just snapped together) and put a dot of superglue on the cyclinder magent bracket and snapped it into place. Did this to all three of the tip switches, now they all work perfect.

So, before you run off and replace said switch, check that cyclinder shaped magnet, see if you can push it in (the bracket is kind of "wedge" shape), if you push in on it (towards the center of the asm), you should feel it click into place and the edge will be even/flush with the part it is fitted to.

You will understand this when you see if first hand. I should of snapped a pic but I forgot my camera.

Enjoy.

Pencilneck blah blah blah

The largest collection of VW OEM wheels!
      http://www.4130-products.com/wheels

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      09-10-2006 12:03 AM #2
      On this same topic, Phaeton and Touareg owners have discovered that the little sliding plastic plate that holds the magnets can be very, very easily broken if the technician is not careful when inserting the chrome plastic base of the shift lever handle.

There are some photos of the part, and discussion about how it gets broken, at this post: Retrofitting Keyless Start to a North American Phaeton - look about halfway down the second page of the thread.

Michael

Vehicles
      Segway turbo
      11-12-2006 09:19 AM #3
      I know where the magnets are, but can you take a few pics of your spare switches of the area that needs this fix?
      thx
      -Wes

Vehicles
      81 rabbit diesel 4dr, 00 golf gls tdi 4dr
      01-18-2010 10:02 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by spkn^GRMN »
      I know where the magnets are, but can you take a few pics of your spare switches of the area that needs this fix?
      thx

^ anyone?

2003 Jetta GLX VR6 - sold
      1984 Cabriolet Wolfsburg - traded
      1981 Cabriolet - traded
      1986 Golf GL sold

5. 12-28-2010 08:07 PM #5
      where is the tiptronic solenoid located on the shifter?

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      01 jetta t1.8
      01-04-2011 11:34 PM #6
      just get the whole new tip switch assem

7. 04-19-2012 08:21 AM #7
      looking for the locaton of these magnets. I have an 04 vw touareg and only see 1 magnet on the rubber slid piece

8. 04-27-2012 04:11 PM #8
      just figured this damn thing out. message me if anyone ever needs help :

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Jetta MKV 2.5 il5
      04-27-2012 04:48 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by dub703 View Post
      just figured this damn thing out. message me if anyone ever needs help :
      I pm'd you.
      1142 Generator Mechanic.
      USMC
      '09 - Now.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      04-27-2012 08:53 PM #10
      Good tip, but this is probably the wrong forum for the thread. I suggest moving it to the Automatic Transmission forum.
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      1993 Jeep ZJ 4.0

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.

11. 08-12-2013 04:54 AM #11
      good day. Read your post regarding the tiptronic fault on the vw new beetle convertible. How did you get to fix it?

thanks!

gelogarcia@gmail.com

12. 11-19-2013 12:32 PM #12
      Hey how's it going. I saw your post on a thread here on this website and you wrote that you could and are willing to help out with the tiptronic switch issue. I am currently having a problem with this and I have little to no experience with things like this.
      I'm getting the 01045 code
      I was told the tiptronic switch is inside the transmission and to repair it would require taking out the entire thing.
      Any help would be great thanks a lot.