The cabby's fuse box and connectors have a couple burnt plugs:
The most burnt plug is the one for the heater blower fan. With the rainy season coming up, I really need to fan to be able to defog the windshield.
My first idea was to rebuild the burnt harness, replace corroded connectors, and clean up the fuse box to get things working again.
The topic came up recently and Ron mentioned in this post that the a westmoreland fuse panel can be spliced into the early wiring harness for trouble free operation. This was exactly what I wanted to hear, and off I went to the junk yard and picked up a fuse box:
I got as much of the harness with it as I could, though I'm likely to just wire it without any of the connectors I got. For comparisson, here's a front and back shot of the german and westy fuse panels.
As an other benefit, I will get to switch to blade-style fuses. I'll be documenting the process, including which wires go where and so forth. I'll be soldering everything and insulating with heat shrink wire.