Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Project fox: The progress continues

1. 03-15-2009 10:44 PM #401
      ***Double post, server was screwy because of maintenance.

Modified by Canadian V-Dub at 8:47 PM 3-15-2009

2. 03-15-2009 10:57 PM #402
      thanks
      Custom, something I bent and welded up here at the shop. I could not run a standard rear exit exhaust because the section of pipe the rests under the rear axel would literally be dragging on the ground due to the height of the car. To fix that issue, I decided to do side exit exhaust. I cut out a recess in the rocker for the tail pipe exit and tucked the muffler way up so its level with the floor boards and no longer creating a clearance issue. I will most likely be making revisions soon though. I am going to move the cat, directly off the exhaust manifold, and remove the mid resonator and replace it with a straight pipe to help further with the ground clearance issues.

3. 03-15-2009 11:15 PM #403
      I moved to a different cat a wile ago for ground clearance too. the new one is a bit longer and much smaller around. if your cat is too close to the motor the heat will drastically shorten its life span BTW

4. 03-15-2009 11:26 PM #404
      Not a bad idea, what cat did you end up going with? How much smaller in diameter is it over a standard cat? Hmmm.. I was under the impression that the hotter the cat gets the more efficient it is. Many manufactures have cats incorporated directly into the exhaust manifold assemblies ( Honda, Jeep, etc) Or directly after as on my Passat, only inches away from the turbo. In any of these cases the cats seam to last 10 + years (assuming the engine is in proper running order). I wouldn’t think the heat my little NA 8v produces would even come close to harming the cat, but I could very well be wrong.

5. 03-15-2009 11:50 PM #405
      It's probably some other form of substrate.
      Ask the dealer how much a new one costs and you might realize that the standard type is a lot more appealing.
      How will the straight pipe affect your exhaust volume (as in noise)?

6. 03-16-2009 12:07 AM #406
      Quote, originally posted by Canadian V-Dub »
      It's probably some other form of substrate.
      Ask the dealer how much a new one costs and you might realize that the standard type is a lot more appealing.
      How will the straight pipe affect your exhaust volume (as in noise)?

I thought all cat cores were basically ceramic coated in platinum? So they all follow the same principle, and react the same under like conditions. But from what I learned by selling used cats for scrap, you can have ether high level or low level cats (high levels of platinum and less inert metals, lower levels of platinum with usually higher levels of gold and more inert metals respectively) That does affect the price of the cat at purchase and for scrap value. Its suprising what our parts supplier carries in oem and aftermarket cats. Regardless of the specifications of the cat, I will be able to purchase one at a reasonable price (Usually 40% to 80% less than a consumer coming off the street). As far as the noise, yes it will be louder and have a more raspy tone, but I plan on addressing this by replacing the current muffler with something more effective.

Modified by oRANGEJULIUS at 9:09 PM 3-15-2009

7. 03-16-2009 01:06 AM #407
      Well, like you said, there are different quality cats.
      I'd assume the higher temp ones have a different form of ceramic in them. There's been guns and engines made from ceramic, which I'd assume is a little different than your ceramic flower pots. I really don't know, I'm only speculating.
      Any more info on this muffler? I don't know much about using mufflers from other vehicles or anything of that sort. I've always heard mixed results about the effects of back-pressure and what-not.

8. 03-16-2009 01:44 AM #408
      Quote, originally posted by Canadian V-Dub »
      Well, like you said, there are different quality cats.
      I'd assume the higher temp ones have a different form of ceramic in them. There's been guns and engines made from ceramic, which I'd assume is a little different than your ceramic flower pots. I really don't know, I'm only speculating.
      Any more info on this muffler? I don't know much about using mufflers from other vehicles or anything of that sort. I've always heard mixed results about the effects of back-pressure and what-not.

I’m guessing that the high level cats are more expensive due to the fact they have a higher platinum content (usually due to there size, larger = more platinum, but some of the small cats in German, and some Japanese cars also have a higher platinum content… this also correlates to the cats efficiency) I am currently running a dynomax turbo muffler, designed for minimum back pressure, maximum flow. It really does not contain a lot of sound absorbing material (fiberglass in this case) so it only muffles the sound marginally. I will switch to a muffler (most likely something stainless manufactured by magnaflow) that has a higher rate of noise reduction (and in turn creates more back pressure in result of the reduced flow) Regarding back pressure, the general idea is that the less back pressure the better, as the exhaust gasses will escape faster allowing the engine to breath better thus creating more power. But in all honesty, in the case of my little 8v with no real modifications, I don’t think I am really going to be able to tell much of a difference by switching to a more restrictive muffler… ill just be enjoying the more acceptable exhaust note.

9. 03-21-2009 06:42 PM #409
      So, any more kick-ass mods as of lately?

10. 03-22-2009 07:11 PM #410
      Nope. As of late, I have been spending a lot of my free time doing a realy intensive detail on my GF’s Jetta GT.

11. 04-02-2009 10:36 PM #411
      No tuning back now

I took my DA (with 150 grit) went over the whole car, filled in the low spots with Dolphin Glaze, and block sanded with 320. I have 2 holes at the bottom of the passenger door, and 1 in the corner of the trunk that need to be cut to shape, and have patches welded in. Once that is done, I am going to replace the rockers, but I have a couple ideas on the style, meaning they will not look as they do now. Once all that is done, ill be spraying the car with a coat of epoxy primer to seal in all that random paint that is on the car so I don’t run into issues with the new paint job. Now the new paint job… I think im ready for something permanent, and in order to justify all the prep work im doing this time around, I will be using a base / clear paint system, or at the very least a urethane single stage. So that brings me back to colors. Definitely going with a gloss finish now, I cant justify spending all this time and $ to spray on a satin color, that more times than not looks poor; like someone took the cheap way out. Now the color possibilities are endless. Here are a few colors I have been thinking about:
      limelight green

dark bronze met.

panama brown

mocha brown

12. 04-02-2009 10:56 PM #412
      I like the bronze. Makes me think of alaincopter's Fox, but something completely different at the same time.

Vehicles
      '84 GTI '83 pickup '02 Focus '08 STI
      04-03-2009 10:55 AM #413
      mocha brown top with a nice pearl white bottom!
      Quote Originally Posted by rod_knock View Post
      Remind me to drive up there this weekend and give you a PITD

14. 04-03-2009 12:32 PM #414
      seafoam green!!!

Vehicles
      2004 Golf 2L, 1992 Passat Syncro Wagon, 1987 Fox Wagon (Project)
      04-03-2009 03:13 PM #415
      I'm voting on the bronze as well. Maybe you should post up a poll, just make sure its a locked pole, otherwise you will get nothing but Porcupine votes.
      Quote Originally Posted by 90quattrocoupe
      I am old enough that I only have to be nice when I want to.

16. 04-06-2009 09:22 PM #416
      The poll is a good idea. Ill put one up once i am down to a couple color choices.

Progress:

The anti-progress:

im a sucker for toys I don’t need. I just picked this up, a 1972 Montgomery ward t555 trike. Originally equipped with a small front tire and a 5HP, it now has a custom fork setup, wide tire, and an 8hp (with separate right and left rear brake levers). I plan on striping it down and painting the frame when I do the Fox, then bolting up a 10hp brigs I have laying around. Man is this thing a blast...

17. 04-07-2009 12:45 PM #417
      Hey, OJ, on your exhaust, did you go cat, glasspack, then muffler, or cat, muffler, glasspack? I'm looking at doing a similar exhaust on my car, and I found a few decent glasspacks right in my price range.
      Plus free use of a MIG from my cousing to boot!

Vehicles
      A truck
      04-07-2009 02:25 PM #418
      Panama brown would look sweet on the car.
      Quote Originally Posted by JebGLX
      I'll do it late tonight after all the kiddies are asleep in their cribs. God I love the smell of pissed off Vortexers in the morning!

19. 04-07-2009 02:39 PM #419
      I cut the down pipe and welded a universal cat directly to it; from there I welded the glass pack, then a 90 degree bend into the muffler and finally the tail pipe. If I were you, I would use the appropriate flanges between the down pipe and the cat, and at very least between the cat and the rest of the exhaust system to make future replacement easy. If you do it the way I did, you must remove the down pipe from the car and weld up everything and re install. It’s next to imposable to get a good weld on the top of the exhaust pipes when they are so close to the floor boards.
      I have also heard many people on here recommend the use of a flex pipe in the system as well; it surely will not hurt, and assuming your motor mounts are stock, I would recommend it. Just speaking from my personal experience, I don’t think the flex pipe is needed if you use a more rigid mounting system for the exhaust, along with solid or much stiffer motor mounts. I am using 4 rigid mounting points to attach my exhaust to the car, as well as solid motor mounts and I have experienced 0 problems. (Even after catching or slapping some part of the exhaust off the ground at often highway speeds multiple times daily for a good while now).

20. 04-07-2009 04:36 PM #420
      Yeah, I'm thinking of leaving the DP and cat as is, other than gutting the cat, but after that changing it all around. I just wasn't sure what configuration To put the glasspack and muffler in.
      Thanks for the tip on the flexpipe, that's something I would have overlooked.

21. 04-26-2009 04:39 PM #421
      no prob
      Spent a little time over the weekend doing some metal work. I was in the process of making new rockers on the brake, and I figured why not make integrated side skirts? So, I took the idea and ran with it. I’m happy with the outcome to say the least. The new rockers sit approximately 1” lower than stock. The height difference between the bottom of the frame rail, and the bottom of the rocker is ½”, so it’s still not as low as it could be, but to avoided potential issues I kept that ½ margin of safety. Now im thinking about fabricating a “lip kit” so to speak to finish off the front and rear bumpers. The car is starting to come along now… I still have to decide on a color, and do one more round of body work to address the issues the new coat of primer showed me.

Modified by oRANGEJULIUS at 2:19 PM 4-26-2009

22. 04-26-2009 08:00 PM #422
      Cool i like the side skirts. the light color shows the rear doors a lot more. are you going to weld them closed?

23. 04-26-2009 09:02 PM #423
      Quote, originally posted by Banned wagon »
      Cool i like the side skirts. the light color shows the rear doors a lot more. are you going to weld them closed?

Thanks! They may even blend well into a certain fox specific body kit
      As for the rear doors, its still a thought, along with round, frenched tail lights, shaved front door handles, and vacuum operated covers over round headlights… Only time will tell if I have the free time and desire to go through with it, irregardless im sure this car will continue to evolve for as long as I have it.

24. 04-30-2009 12:49 AM #424

I was looking at a couple old hot rod mags i had from the 90's and it got me thinking... I ended up painting a set of stripes on the car based on that 90's style, they go well with the headlight covers You may have to click the picture, then view it full screen to see it, i did not want to post up a full size pic on the board.

Modified by oRANGEJULIUS at 9:57 PM 4-29-2009

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '91 Fox 4 door
      04-30-2009 09:40 PM #425
      The stripes on my '91 look almost exactly like that...
      and yes, this is my first post, although I've been lurking for a few weeks since I've gotten my Fox.
      But your Fox looks sweet, and I love looking through this thread looking at all the transformations it has made.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast