Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Project fox: The progress continues

1. 11-13-2006 06:09 PM #101
      Thanks for the comments!

Here are all the fun pictures:
      Passenger side A arm angle:

Driver side A arm angle ( I think im going trim a little metal out for greater axel clearance ):

Tie Rod: yep, im about there

Put the car up on an angle to get these next pics( I can physically make it up that ledge into the garage, I just grind my exhaust a little ):

Back tire on compressed side:

Back tire uncompressed side ( see 5 coils is not that much , I still have some suspension travel [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] )

Uncompressed side spring, (spring did not come unseated):

Planning pic: Extended the arches, Rabbit caps, white wall 175/70 13's, tinted windows, shaved the rear markers, Wolfsburg badge, and the last 2 door handles (current ride hight)

BillLeBob that sounds like a good possible direction.... I put the coil over project on hold. I am now thinking about going with an air bag setup, pieced together from bone yard luxury crusers . Im still under $650 for this project, including the price of the car, mite as well see how far I can go for under $1,000, with bone yard parts, a little ingenuity, and lots of tools .

BTW any info you all may have about custom air bag setups, or suspension in general would be great, awalys looking to learn more about it

Modified by oRANGEJULIUS at 3:15 PM 11-13-2006

2. 11-14-2006 12:10 PM #102
      How do you plan to get into the car? Remote keyless entry?

Vehicles
      e36/8 M
      11-14-2006 03:45 PM #103
      Quote, originally posted by manboy »
      How do you plan to get into the car? Remote keyless entry?

I would imagine some sort of button hooked up to a cable that runs into the door to pull the handle. It wouldn't be too hard to do with some decent welding and fab skills like OJ has. The only question is where to put the button I would recess it inside the bottom of the door mirror for easy access and low visability.
      Although I do have to say that a linear acctuator would be pretty sweet especially if you had a pretty heavy duty spring to pop the door open. It would be funny if some dude was checkin out your car and you hit the button from a ways a way. It would freak him out!!!

4. 11-14-2006 04:53 PM #104
      I was thinking about going the rout everyone goes ( electric solenoid on the latch, and a door pooper, with a backup manual latch, via a keyless entry system) But the more and more I have been thinking abbot it, here's my plan. I have a small compressor for an air ride system along with a tank, box of solenoids, and a crap load of line and fittings... I was going to pick up some small ( 6", 2" throw 125psi ) pneumatic rams like the kind that are on cnc setups, I can get them for around $40 shipped for 4. Custom brackets in the doors and use those to pop the latch. So basically have the compressor on a pressure switch to fill the tank at a set PSI, so I will always have a reserve to pop the doors, no worries about dead batteries. Use a spring out of a rear drum brake welded to the door frame to pop the door once the latch is popped. I would control this with low amp electric solenoids (would still operate on a practaly dead batt), and a Compustar system so its all remote. Im looking at a total cost of around $250, or if i skip the Compustar system and just pull a keyless entry module and remote from a junk car im down to like $75

5. 11-14-2006 11:00 PM #105
      Sorry to bring this post back to the top, but I was wondering what fox is and Im surprised to find I really like them. It reminds me of my childhood seeing cars from the 80's. If i at all disrespect anyone by saying that sorry, but these cars look really badass. Good job guys and congrats on your rides!

6. 11-16-2006 08:48 PM #106
      No disrespect, and thanks for giving all of us here props [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

I just picked up a Westmoreland Golf, (pics soon) so expect progress to slow a little on the fox...

Vehicles
      38 chevy, 84 16v jetta coupe, 91 vrt golf,47 harley, 63 triumph bonni
      11-16-2006 09:02 PM #107
      Quote, originally posted by SN2BJDM »
      i roll on cut springs and usually dont bag on people who ride cuts. But dude 5 coils, damn! I suggest u just get some coilovers.

im rollin on 3 1/2 cut in the front and 4 1/2 in the rear, lemme tell ya how fast i belw out my new mk2 shocks...

cut springs are the way to go.. f you guys with your coilovers, and bilisteins, and such...
      IG @surrealatrocites

8. 11-16-2006 09:35 PM #108
      shocks? struts? pfffff what are those for?
      I could hear the gas leaving the struts as i let the car off the rack
      cut springs, coils, w/e OE is not valved to work that low its a given...

9. 11-20-2006 12:09 AM #109
      new wnow tires on the back 175/70 13 so its the same size all the way arround, no more rubbing [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

and some pics of the golf
      ill have the clutch in this week as well as the waterpump and timing belt (and all the odds and ends assoc. with those) then on to the tune up (plugs, wires, cap, etc,,,) Then change the fluids. Final mech. inspection and replace other parts if needed. One thast all done I will start on the body. Im replacing the left back door, fender, and hood. Fixing the other minor issues, prime paint, light tan, with a flat clear coat. checkerd roof, chrome roof rack, chrome molding, shaved badges, air cooled "volkswagen" badg on the back, pulled, rolled, and lowered.

Vehicles
      73 Superbeetle. 84 BMW 318i
      11-20-2006 12:25 AM #110
      trade you my wagon for the westy 4door

11. 11-20-2006 02:51 PM #111
      Nice golf. Also. is that your Cadillac?

12. 11-21-2006 11:37 AM #112
      i think ill keep the golf....
      Thanks, the golf is a little rough now, but im sure by summer it will be looking sweet...No the caddy is my boss' brothers, just pulled it out of a 10 year storage, has under 50k original miles, 472. its up for sale.
      Seeing these threads about seats, shift boots, and door panel reupholstering got me thinking. Went out to Joann fabric spent $20 on 2.5 yards of fabric (its like a fake suede, I wanted plaid, but I didn't see anything I liked), and $6 on some spray ahedisive. Re covered all the door cards, made a shift boot, covered the astray (I don't smoke), radio surround, horn button, overhead light, and the shelf behind the back seat. its not perfect,but All in all im happy with the results.

where the new fabric meets the old carpet on the door cards, i think im going to place a black, or chrome molding there, will make it look more complete

Modified by oRANGEJULIUS at 8:41 AM 11-21-2006

Vehicles
      2004 Golf 2L, 1992 Passat Syncro Wagon, 1987 Fox Wagon (Project)
      11-21-2006 05:56 PM #113
      How did recovering the door panels go? Did you keep the fuzzy padding underneath it? You should make a write up for it as from the pics there, you did a pretty decent job.
      Quote Originally Posted by 90quattrocoupe
      I am old enough that I only have to be nice when I want to.

14. 11-21-2006 07:03 PM #114
      I really like how you did the radio surround. What a great idea. I love how you get inspired and just go out and do stuff. It is great.
      Now that shift boot. How bout some details about it. Did you sew it or glue it together. And also, how is it held in, I notice that the plastic clip is on the ouside of it. Did you glue it down?

15. 11-21-2006 10:03 PM #115
      efritsch
      This is the 5th car I have reupholstered the door cards in, so I think my opinion will be a little bias... I think its really easy, took less than 15min for each door.
      What I did:
      Took the door card out
      Cleaned with simple green
      applied 3m spray adhesive
      cut a rectangle of fabric larger than that door card
      starting at one end roll on the fabric, pat it down as you go
      once at the end flip over to back of door card
      spray the edges of the door card (back side) with adhesive
      Fold excess fabric over
      use a razor and cut the hole out for the door handle (or astray, vent, etc,,)
      Install
      I wish i took step by step pics, next time... [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

BLUE 88 FOX 1.8L
      thanks! Once an idea pops in my head, I just have to do it or it will bug the hell out of me...that radio surround was a real PITA....
      Shift boot:
      remove old shift boot
      remove base from old shift boot
      cut out a square (material of your choice) that is about 3x the size of the shifter opening (mite want to go bigger, my shifter is only 1/2 the length of the stock shifter)
      cut a hole in the middle
      slip over shifter
      Feed material into hole around shifter into a natural looking form
      cut a 1" wide ax 3" long strip
      Cover back of strip with adhesive
      Tightly wrap strip around fabric right at the base of shifter
      Snap shifter base on
      I found this the easiest way to make a shift boot, and I think it looks great. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I will get some close up shots soon. I finished the interior up tonight. I covered the center console, and placed a red strip separating the fabric and the carpet on the door cards. I also wrapped the e brake handle, door handles, and oh $hit! handle in hemp . Now im looking for some nice quality 2 tone beaded seat covers .

16. 11-22-2006 03:17 PM #116
      finished <had to use it......

Vehicles
      11-22-2006 08:34 PM #117
      Quote, originally posted by oRANGEJULIUS &raquo;
      What I did:
      Took the door card out
      Cleaned with simple green
      applied 3m spray adhesive
      cut a rectangle of fabric larger than that door card

I see. You you didn't even remove the old fabric? That's not a bad idea if your fabric is in okay condition.

18. 11-22-2006 10:16 PM #118
      That looks pretty nice. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

19. 11-22-2006 11:07 PM #119
      That is cool. I like the way you made the strip below the shifter. Is that red tsuff just some adhesive tape? Like side trim tape for a car? It adds a nice touch. Superb work as always, OJ. (not to be associated with ms. simpson)

11-23-2006 01:13 PM #120
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

21. 11-25-2006 06:28 PM #121
      Thanks everyone
      efritsch
      Nope just covered right over the old stuff.....
      BLUE 88 FOX 1.8L
      yep, that's all it is. Looks ok in the picture, but in person I think the stripe looked kind of 1/2 a$$ being the door cards are fabric and just this vinyl sticker on it. It was bugging me so I ripped it off... and replaced it with this...

22. 11-26-2006 10:07 PM #122
      Sweet. Some Rabbit Flare to match your A1 Side Markers in back!

23. 11-28-2006 05:00 PM #123
      Thanks!

Had a little spare time , so i had a chance to start on my quad round light setup... Picked up a couple $3, 2.75" tractor lights, hit them with transparent yellow paint, made some brackets and popped them in the grill. So now I have to think about the headlights.. 4 lights,, heck why not 6 ? so here is my idea for the rest of the setup, 4 5" try-bar black dots. ill use another grill and piece it together on the ends....
      how it looks now:

How it will look when I get motivated:

Vehicles
      11-28-2006 06:06 PM #124
      Doesn't look half bad actually.

11-28-2006 08:39 PM #125
      i like this setup the best.
      Quote, originally posted by oRANGEJULIUS &raquo;

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast