Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: COMPLETE, very detailed airbox/intake modification write-up.

1. Member
      09-22-2006 02:39 PM #1
      DISCLAIMER: This is what I did on my vehicle and had great results with it. However, I am not liable if anything happens to your car because of this.

The airbox/intake modification:

I did this for the performance of course, but the sound that comes with it is unbelievable. You will have heads turning left and right when they hear it. I have not heard another naturally aspirated 12V VR6 that sounds as incredible as this.

Some sound clips:
      http://smg.photobucket.com/alb...1.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/alb...4.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/alb...2.flv

To prove the gains for this airbox modification, I provided a link of my dyno with such minimal modifications (176whp/177wtq)(http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2899452). My track times also show the success from modifying the airbox. (It's a 14.4 second car and it's near stock).

You are almost definitely losing power with a cone filter, instead of the airbox in place, because of all the hot air that the cone filter is exposed to. Cone filters work on either a cold air intake or when being used with a heat shield. To further prove to you the power loss of a cone filter in place of an airbox, here is a dyno test from Techtonics Tuning of an open-element conical filter versus an airbox. There is quite a drastic loss in power with the conical filter. http://www.techtonicstuning.co...7.JPG

First, buy a high-flow drop-in air filter of your choice.

What I did, and what many others do, is modify the stock airbox. All you really need is a dremel, or maybe a utility knife, if that may work [I used a dremel].

Next, is cutting out part of the front/fender side of the airbox. I used a ruler and straight blade to slightly draw out where I wanted to cut exactly. I used many of the airbox’s lines to cut the cleanest looking cut. Some people swiss cheese the airbox, which in my opinion, is not the best method to go about this. You can just cut a whole clean piece out of the airbox. It will allow more air and look much more professional and clean. You honestly can't tell the airbox is modified if you do it in this manner.

Here is my setup:

Here with K&N panel filter inside...

In the upper airbox, there is a velocity stack'd duct in the upper section of the airbox that I removed. The difference in diameter after removing the duct is noticeable. The bore is quite bigger and the intake pipe now receives more air from the entire airbox panel, rather than a portion before.

To remove air duct, take two flatheads and stick them in between the duct and upper airbox, unplugging the tabs. Leave the flatheads in there after unplugging the tabs. Then, take small pliers and grab a nice hold of the duct and pull out with some force.

NOTICE: Some people say this duct basically acts like a velocity stack and that it helps directs air to the MAF. Velocity stacks do amazing things for air flow, but in this case, I'm willing to sacrifice this piece by looking at the bore of the intake after removing it.

With the velocity stack in the upper airbox...

Without the velocity stack. Notice the difference?

And the velocity stack removed from the airbox.

I removed this plastic honeycomb piece from the MAF. It's there to give the MAF the most accurate readings, but I’ve been running without this piece for a long time without any problems. If anything, I would say it helped. Remember, this piece pops right out, so you can always push it back in if you ever want to re-attach it. It is not a permanent modification to the MAF.

Take the following from someone on the 300zxclub.com forums:
      "Removing the mesh on the mass airflow sensor (MAS) will up the boost on turbo'd vehicles a couple pounds....this allows for more air to enter with less restriction...did this on my skyline...probably do some good for NA too.

But... the mesh is there for a reason....the mesh channels the air through the MAS and onto the sensor...without it, there is an argument that the sensor may be getting an incorrect reading...but it worked for me....its up to you...

On the 300ZX if you do the mesh removal, you will increase air volume from 300cfm to about 700cfm. It will increase your boost and your response, and will get rid of most of your hesitation problems...... oh, and it should lean her out a bit too, good for those of you with hight boost.
      And iv'e seen articles where LS1's are being dyno tuned with the mesh removed."

That plastic piece removed gives you a straight through MAF…

Remove this duct from the front of the airbox. This piece is pointless now that the airbox is opened up and there is no velocity sucking air from it anymore (imagine a house vacuum with a hole in the pipe...it will lose much of the air velocity that picks up dirt). This pipe just blocks air from the front of the airbox. I removed it completely.

Remove this piece from the fender area. There is no point of it now that the duct is removed. It also gives a little more air from the fender area.

And the result of that being removed is more air from the fender area…

And some shots of how the airbox sits…

Modified by Breezy. at 1:28 PM 9-17-2008

2. 09-22-2006 02:42 PM #2
      nice write up, but dont you think thats a lot of work for an extra 1.3 hp?

just sayin

3. 09-22-2006 02:45 PM #3
      Horsepower to the wheels isn't cheap.. but this is, so no big deal

Nice write up, and thanks for the pics

4. Member
      09-22-2006 02:46 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by Golfmk3_18 »

just sayin

I have track times to prove these gains. You were the same guy in my old thread. Believe what you want.

Click this...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2835172

5. 09-22-2006 02:49 PM #5
      Quality write-up. Clean install.

09-22-2006 02:50 PM #6
      Nice Breezy!

Vehicles
      98 cabrio VR6
      09-22-2006 03:08 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Breezy. »
      Remove this plastic honeycomb piece from the MAF. There is no point in this piece since there is an air filter. I’ve been running without this piece for a long time without any problems.

first let me say nice write up and thank you very much for taking your time to do this for us.

just have one question, will removing that honeycomb piece really make a difference?...i can see how all of the other things you did would, but that honeycomb piece just doesn't seem like it would affect air flow very much at all.

it may not hurt anything to remove it, but it may not need to be removed either...just a thought.

8. 09-22-2006 03:08 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by Golfmk3_18 »

just sayin

hahah a lot of work ? Modding an airbox takes all of 20 minutes..

9. 09-22-2006 03:11 PM #9
      that honey comb is used to straighten the air that reaches the maf. i'd put that back in, no? also does having a straight pipe limit the sound you get from this mod? i've done the same, and my intake sounds the same, just a slight 'psst' when im on the throttle

Modified by ctuagent117 at 12:13 PM 9-22-2006

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit (Previous: 1998 GLS, 279,000 miles)
      09-22-2006 03:15 PM #10
      Correct, the honeycomb piece reduces turbulence and creates more laminar air flow.

11. 09-22-2006 03:16 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by ctuagent117 »
      that honey comb is used to straighten the air that reaches the maf.

You have no idea what you are talking about

Vehicles
      Too many
      09-22-2006 03:20 PM #12
      Is this a repost?

I feel like I saw this 6 months ago?

13. 09-22-2006 03:24 PM #13
      haha what, a drilled airbox write-up? you've probably seen more than just one in the past couple months.

14. 09-22-2006 03:28 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by bmxdubdub »

You have no idea what you are talking about

Yes he does because thats what its for.

Vehicles
      E46
      09-22-2006 03:33 PM #15
      exactly what my box looks like
      Like good music? Then'll you'll love this!

http://www.facebook.com/thewillwhiting

09-22-2006 03:39 PM #16
      Nice write-up!
      My name is...Shake-Zula. The mic-rula, The old schoolah, Ya wanna trip? I'll bring it to ya. Frylock and I'm on top Rock you like a cop Meatwad you up next with your knock-knock. Meatwad make the money, see. Meatwad get the honeys, G. Drivin in my car, livin' like a star. Ice on my fingers and my toes and I'm a Taurus. Check it. Check, check it. 'Cuz we drive the Cabrios, make the homies say ho! and the girlies wanna scream.

Vehicles
      In Signature
      09-22-2006 04:21 PM #17
      Breezy I had those exact same mods but holes drilled on the side of the box away from the engine. I still believe that I free'd up a few hp up top with the cold air. nice write up though.
      75 TVR 2500M - 98 M3/4/5 Rotrex C38 - 91 GTI VRT - 02 Xterra SE - 97 E420 - 95 Saab 900se Convertible

18. 09-22-2006 04:32 PM #18
      Is this the same for a 2.slow? Just wondering cause i'm interested. Any concerns about rain/snow getting all up in your filter?

19. 09-22-2006 05:25 PM #19
      yup same for 2 liter. no worrys about rain /snow

20. 09-22-2006 05:35 PM #20
      nice I currently have a neuspeed p flow with no heat shield and I dont want to pay 80$ for one so I am looking into doing the same thing that you did because it looks clan and performs better...Only problem I have is I dont have a stock airbox anymore so anyone that has one for a OBD 1 shoot me a pm

21. 09-22-2006 05:36 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by FloGwagen »
      nice I currently have a neuspeed p flow with no heat shield and I dont want to pay 80$ for one so I am looking into doing the same thing that you did because it looks clan and performs better...Only problem I have is I dont have a stock airbox anymore so anyone that has one for a OBD 1 shoot me a pm

same here..

only if anyone has obd2 airbox hit me up

22. 09-22-2006 05:42 PM #22
      ill give you my stock air box, already modified in the ways shown above, in exhange for you intake.

23. 09-22-2006 05:52 PM #23
      I did the same exacty thing, except for the honeycomb removal and the circle fender plastic thingy two months ago. I did all the cutting with a dremel and then sanded the edges for a better look. I'll try the honeycomb and plastic thiny on the fender removal since you added it. IMO the sound is great espeically on WOT, because the sound is not muffeled anymore. Sounds similar to my friend's VR with a eurosport short ram intake.

Another + for this mod is the improved gas milage I got!!! And btw thanks for putting in the time to write and rewrite this diy.

24. 09-22-2006 05:56 PM #24
      Don't do the honey comb. More harm- no good.

25. 09-22-2006 05:57 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by tdogg74 »
      Yes he does because thats what its for.

Anybody that knows anything about fluid dynamics knows that air flows in the path of the enclosure its in. The only thing that honeycomb will do is make the flow more turbulent.

26. 09-22-2006 06:01 PM #26
      the honey comb is there for a reason...the intake air is accelerated when it is forced into a smaller pipe (maf tunnel and intake elbow from the airbox) this accelerated air is passed through the honey comb to in effect straighten the air and allows the maf sensor to read the incoming air properly

it may seem insignificant but IMO a german engineer who designed the car put it there for a reason so if it wont really make a noticeable difference just leave it alone

27. 09-22-2006 06:04 PM #27

28. 09-22-2006 07:33 PM #28
      There was a write up exactly like this some where else before. Funny to say that just last week i did that with the dremel, and did some other things not in the other write up, but in yours. Removing the honeycomb thing does open it up a bit more, if you actually think about how much air each plastic piece is blocking, its about 1/8 of the hole.

BTW, car sounds nicer with this done too

29. Member
      09-22-2006 07:42 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by Dan J Reed »
      Is this a repost?

I feel like I saw this 6 months ago?

Yup. This is the same poster who created the original one. Only this time, I included everything.

In terms of the honeycomb, my MAF is not reading any problems and it only makes sense that the less traffic in the intake hose, the more airflow. I'm keeping it off.

30. Member
      09-22-2006 07:43 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by brandonp »
      There was a write up exactly like this some where else before.

Yea, in the DIY thread. It's me just adding more info.

31. 09-22-2006 07:51 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by 2.0lover »
      first let me say nice write up and thank you very much for taking your time to do this for us.

just have one question, will removing that honeycomb piece really make a difference?...i can see how all of the other things you did would, but that honeycomb piece just doesn't seem like it would affect air flow very much at all.

it may not hurt anything to remove it, but it may not need to be removed either...just a thought.

The honeycomb piece is not for filtering stuff out, it's to promote laminar flow in through the maf so that it gives accurate readings.

edit: I see other people already pointed this out.

Modified by redled_ at 4:52 PM 9-22-2006

Vehicles
      1998 GTI VR6 / 1979 Rabbit
      09-22-2006 08:59 PM #32
      Nice write up, this is my next mod for my VR

33. 09-24-2006 08:50 PM #33
      took breezys advice. did the mod today.

took me about 45minutes with an exacto knife and a lighter to heat the knife up. sliced through like butter.

I made my hole a bit smaller than breezys pic and positioned it a little closer the the fender to enable more cold air from the fender to get in.

After i did the mod, i started her up and it sounded BADASS. sounds even better than a p-flo IMO. sounds like a 8ft wolf grwoling very loud at me.

I officially name it "Breezy's Grandma Scaring Airbox Modification"

I actually scared some people today becaused they crossed the street on a red light, i revved. they looked over like deers in the headlights.

The car feels more responsive at low rpms and I actually feel a little more torque. My gas consumption dropped as well. (Bonus feature of the mod)

all and all the best 45 minutes i spent for the size of the smile me and my girlfreind got from it.

Cheers Breezy!

Modified by Rollin_GTI at 6:12 PM 9-24-2006

Vehicles
      2012 WRX
      09-24-2006 08:58 PM #34
      Quote, originally posted by Rollin_GTI »
      My gas milage dropped as well. (Bonus feature of the mod)

You mean your gas consumption dropped?

35. 09-24-2006 08:58 PM #35
      I dont have a MK3 anymore but i have done this mod in the past and it does make a noticible difference... Excellent write up and pictures

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast