Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Timing Belt DIY!

1. 12-28-2006 10:17 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by PD Performance »
      No need to even mark anything, there is a notch on the valve cover and mark on the cam gear. And a mark on the crank pulley and notch on the lower engine cover.

ok so im working on this right now (going to take a break to sleep and whatnot else)
      Ive aligned the cam to TDC and the crank is very close (just left of the valve cover mark, half a tooth i guess).
      removed the harmonic dampener pully and the lower cover, took off the belt and am in the process of getting the new belt in and tensioning.
      once i get the tensioner pully and piston back in with the timing belt on, should i:
      remove the pin to tension the belt
      put the lower cover back on
      put the acessory pully back on (harmonic damping pully)
      see how out of alignment the crank and cam are (# teeth)
      re-un-tension the belt
      adjust for the # teeth
      tension the belt
      rinse and repeat
      seems correct... [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] ??
      should i readjust the crank so the two marks are exactly aligned? or go with the alignment that was origonally there.
      thanks for the help and the diy is great, fun thing to do over break

12-28-2006 11:43 PM #27
      once you pull the pin unless you have the tensioning bolt there is no turning back. If you mark the original belt like it says to in the DIY and transfered them, then they should match perfectly to the marks left on the crank gear and the cam gear, if they're not lining up perfect don't pull the pin. There is no rinse and repeat make sure you do it right the first time or you're gonna be in deep **** [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

3. 12-29-2006 01:15 AM #28
      sooo... for the sake of argument... lets say we didnt mark the belt....

4. 12-29-2006 11:21 AM #29
      Then use all of those marks stated above.

5. 12-30-2006 05:53 PM #30
      did all the steps that i said above, when the m5 bolt depresses the tensioner you have to put the pin back in, then to move the belt it helps if you take the tensioner out (leave in the pully). anyway everything works now [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      12 Golf TDI, 12 F-150 Eco Boost
      12-31-2006 06:02 PM #31
      Are there any techs in here that have a hint on how to get the damn mount out of the bay? People have said that they just jacked the motor all the way up, but on my car it still didn't come out. I absolutely haded having to put the mount to one side then the other to work that damn tensioner!
      Now I have to do this again to replace my cam tensioner seal.

7. 12-31-2006 07:45 PM #32
      I'm also in the process of replacing may cam seal (a month after the TB job). moving that mount bracket around was the only difficult part of the whole TB job. wouldn't come out for me either (2001 AWW). don't think I have to muck with the mount for the cam seal though.

Vehicles
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      12-31-2006 09:05 PM #33
      Bump because these threads are great [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon

Vehicles
      2004 VW Jetta GLI
      01-01-2007 11:25 AM #34
      Here are some thoughts from my recent timing belt install.
      If you are going to replace the water pump and/or thermostat drain the coolant first. It makes a big mess if you don't.
      Unless you want to pull the motor leave the motor mount in the car loose. It will come out with the tensioner removed but will NOT go back in with the tensioner installed. I got distracted by friends stopping over to 'help' and forgot to re-position the motor mount before I bolted up the tensioner and pulled the pin. I had to unbolt all engine/trans mounts and lower the motor/trans nearly out of the car to get the mount reinstalled.
      Other than the motor mount issues the install is fairly straight forward with the DIY.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      01-01-2007 04:38 PM #35
      My brother just had his timing belt replaced at a local shop and they said his old belt ('03 GTI 1.8t) was off by a tooth. They also said being off by a tooth was very common on '02 and '03 1.8t's from their experience in the shop.
      Anyone else with an '02 - '03 notice this?
      Also, how can I be sure I am aligning the timing belt properly compared to just aligning it how it was before?
      Thanks,
      Greg
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      2004 VW Jetta GLI
      01-01-2007 04:42 PM #36
      Don't mark the belt just use the timing marks on the cam, crank and flywheel. If the marks line up the motor is in time.

Vehicles
      01-01-2007 05:55 PM #37
      While that is true, it does help to mark the belt and transfer the marks to the new one so you have no doubt how many teeth are between each pulley. Sometimes it is very easy to be off just one tooth once everything is on and tightened up.

13. 01-01-2007 09:20 PM #38
      Quote, originally posted by White Jetta »
      While that is true, it does help to mark the belt and transfer the marks to the new one so you have no doubt how many teeth are between each pulley. Sometimes it is very easy to be off just one tooth once everything is on and tightened up.

if you lign up all the marks everything should be fine and you dont have to mark be the belt BUT, in my case after two revolutions the marks were off by about two teeth, i marked the belt simply so that if it fell off id have some kind of reference.
      Quote, originally posted by whizbang »
      Unless you want to pull the motor leave the motor mount in the car loose. It will come out with the tensioner removed but will NOT go back in with the tensioner installed. I got distracted by friends stopping over to 'help' and forgot to re-position the motor mount before I bolted up the tensioner and pulled the pin. .

LOL ditto, i had the mount in there but the tensioner blocked it from going to the right position
      oh, and the pump made a huge mess, even with coolant drained, luckily the water ejected all the peices of the broken impeller

Modified by Tetzuoe at 9:23 PM 1-1-2007

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      01-02-2007 11:37 AM #39
      I am about to start on a timing belt job today and my brother pre-emptively pulled the pin on the Tensioner. I put the tensioner in a vice, squeezed the pin shut, and replaced the pin.
      Did I damage it by compressing the pin all the way again? Is compressing the pin not a big deal because it was designed to compress?
      Am I safe using this tensioner, or should I go buy another one before the job is the question.
      Thanks,
      Greg
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      01-02-2007 04:40 PM #40
      You should be fine because i've done exactly what you did on my old DSM several times. Always pulled the pin out too early

16. 01-04-2007 08:50 PM #41
      the haynes manual says thats exactly what you should do, except they say put a small drill bit or something in there instead of a pin. plus they use the M5 bolt and washer to compress it via the pulley. long story short your fine [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

17. 01-06-2007 10:16 PM #42
      where are the marks on the crank side?
      Cars: '97 Cabrio--'98 Purple Beetle (wife's car)--'99.5 Jetta
      Bikes: '75 CB550 Cafe--'82 XV 920--'00 Ninja 250 (wife's bike)-- '00 KLR685

Vehicles
      2005 gti,1991 gti,1991 gli,1985 diesel golf
      01-07-2007 07:26 PM #43
      if you jack the motor up all the way, the mount WILL come out. we do about a dozen of these a week

Vehicles
      12 Golf TDI, 12 F-150 Eco Boost
      01-07-2007 08:08 PM #44
      thanks, i'll have to try that when I do the seal probably next week.

20. 01-08-2007 01:10 PM #45
      how high can the motor go? i was reluctant to go past a few inches.

21. 01-11-2007 09:36 AM #46
      Bump...also curious about how high the engine can go as I am about to start this job!

Vehicles
      2001, Volkswagen Jetta 2.0
      01-15-2007 04:37 PM #47
      I'm not following the reasoning behind marking the old belt. I'm guessing there are registration markings or some kind of indication that lets you match it exactly to the new belt?

Vehicles
      01-15-2007 06:12 PM #48
      Quote, originally posted by chefdave »
      I'm not following the reasoning behind marking the old belt. I'm guessing there are registration markings or some kind of indication that lets you match it exactly to the new belt?

It's just to transfer the marks to the new belt and be able to put it back on exactly as it came off, tooth for tooth between the pulleys. The marks would go from the belt onto the pulley before removing it. It's just for another measure of safety on this "get it right once or be sorry" operation.

Vehicles
      1991 GLI 2.1 16V-2005 Jetta GLI 5857 ballbearing
      01-15-2007 06:59 PM #49
      Quote, originally posted by verboten1 »
      where are the marks on the crank side?
      There is a notch on the cover plate of the timing belt that lines up with a mark on the accessory drive pully off of the crank, You can check it there but if you need to adjust it you kinda have to take it all apart again. Not sure where the one is on the flywheel never really needed to look at it.
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub Dan-O View Post
      I am in the process of going FrankenTurbo and pretty much got my dick slapped because I wasn't thinking BT.

25. 01-16-2007 04:27 PM #50
      well thanks to this writeup and some over the phone help from a local guru (an awesome chick BTW) I got the job done in 9 LAZY beer drinking and cigarette smoking hours
      Cars: '97 Cabrio--'98 Purple Beetle (wife's car)--'99.5 Jetta
      Bikes: '75 CB550 Cafe--'82 XV 920--'00 Ninja 250 (wife's bike)-- '00 KLR685

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast