Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 97 Jetta GL - Where is the Starter Relay and Safety Switch?

1. 10-02-2006 10:46 AM #1
      I got a 97 Jetta GL that wont turn over. 2 new starters installed thinking it was defective. I do not get 12 Volts to the Red/black wire when I turn it over. I have a new ignition switch on the way, but where is the starter relay and the clutch safety switch located so I could rule those out as a possibility! I dont have a bentley yet nor do I even have the owners manual to see the fuse/relay panel readout! any help would be greatly appreciated

2. 10-02-2006 01:33 PM #2
      clutch safety switch is behind the clutch pedal. Short out the 2 wires and see if it starts. Just make sure you're on neutral.
      Andrew I Johnson May 25, 1985 - September 30, 2011
      Permanently banned from MVWS. And CGW says I don’t play well with others.
      Auto to manual transmittion swap. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...l-Swap-FAQ-DIYhttp://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ight=cyclopath

3. 10-02-2006 07:40 PM #3
      tried that. still didnt start. I guess I can rule out the safety switch. is there an independant relay for the starter??? maybe at the firewall or something? would a bad ignition switch cause the starter not to even click when turned over? I get all accessories on but it wont turn over. New battery and new starter installed

4. 10-02-2006 11:58 PM #4
      bump to the top. someone help me get this car running again!!

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      10-03-2006 03:45 AM #5
      could be something in the ignition cylinder itself or maybe solenoid. i'm not too knowledgable with that stuff. bump!

6. 10-03-2006 03:58 AM #6
      It sounds like the ignition switch to me. Mine did the exact same thing and I found that if I had the ignition switch to the ON position and shorted the red/black wire going to the starter to the positive batt. terminal (bypassing the clutch safety switch) it started right up. That's what told me the problem was the ignition switch itself. Looking back, however, I never used any schematics and didn't even look for a starter relay, if there is one. Anyway, I ended up installing a push-button start in my center console. Not just because it was a cheap fix to my problem, but because I laugh every time I have to use it.

7. 10-03-2006 08:16 PM #7
      thats a good Idea. if I cant get it to work I could just install a Engine start button!! thanks guys. I will keep you posted when I install the ignition switch

10-03-2006 08:22 PM #8
      the sarter wire from the ignition switch also goes through the alarm module... so if that is bad then it also won't start. I want to say that the neutral start relay is relay #14, but that may only be on the Automatic cars... I can't rememebr

Vehicles
      04 Passat Wagon
      10-03-2006 08:24 PM #9
      my starter relay is above the fusebox all by itself.

10. 10-03-2006 08:30 PM #10
      can you be more detailed? maybe even a picture, or a place online somewhere that points them all out? I dont have an owners manual or a Bentley to look up what relay is what.

11. 10-04-2006 12:12 AM #11
      thank you. I just did a little searching and found how to jump the alarm starter. I will try that. everything I can eliminate gets me one step closer to the problem! thanks guys!! keep any ideas coming