Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: how long should it take for antibiotics to heal a toe infection?

1. 10-03-2006 08:35 PM #1
      ended up going to the doc after antibiotic creams werent doing anything and he prescribed me antiobiotic pills, 10 day prescription. This is my 5th day taking 2/day and while the pain is completely gona, it still looks nasty. It has gotten a little better but just wondering how long it should take before it heals, or if that will continue to happen even after my prescription is up. Before you even tell me to ask my doctor and not a bunch of people on the internet, he told me to come back after the prescription was over. And for the wise guy that posts "ask a doctor, not some forum" I just beat you to it

2. 10-03-2006 08:37 PM #2
      a toe infection may take longer to heal, as there is less bloodflow in that area. be sure to finish out your prescription though, dont stop it even if the toe looks or feel better

for clarification, which toe is this? big toe, little toe, or camel toe?

3. 10-03-2006 08:42 PM #3
      well my camel toe has been infected since birth, so thats not really the area of concern. However, the one I speak of is my big toe. I was just glad it wasn't an std from that midget stripper guy...man I was hammered that night.

Vehicles
      '11 Prius, '08 GMC Sierra
      10-04-2006 10:24 AM #4
      Soak it. Go get some epsom salt and soak it with warm water. If it isn't better after 10 days, then you might be in for this:

Vehicles
      turbo 5cyl AWD 6 speed
      10-04-2006 10:26 AM #5
      better call the toe truck

6. 10-04-2006 10:45 AM #6
      take it till they are gone. no if-and-buts about it.

the reason is that you need to finish off the bacteria which is still residing in the area. if not, you run the risk of creation of anti-biotic resistant bacteria.(and no it's not a "you only do it once and it happens").

so take it all till it's done.

7. 10-05-2006 11:24 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Tanks#1FAN »
      ended up going to the doc after antibiotic creams werent doing anything and he prescribed me antiobiotic pills, 10 day prescription. This is my 5th day taking 2/day and while the pain is completely gona, it still looks nasty. It has gotten a little better but just wondering how long it should take before it heals, or if that will continue to happen even after my prescription is up. Before you even tell me to ask my doctor and not a bunch of people on the internet, he told me to come back after the prescription was over. And for the wise guy that posts "ask a doctor, not some forum" I just beat you to it

Mine did not clear up till after the medication was done, it did look better after 6 or 7 days but no where near back to normal.

I hope you are soaking your foot in heavy heavy salt water atleast twice a day. Up it to three if you want without worry. Also hit it with a topical anitbiotic like Polysporin.

FINISH u'r medication too.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '11 Rav4 V6, '13 TL SH-AWD
      10-06-2006 12:54 AM #8
      Its hard to say. Its heavily dependent on the organism as well.

9. Banned
      10-06-2006 02:42 AM #9
      Toes are dispensable so I wouldn't worry about it. Really. Unless it's the toe that the ring goes on, then you need it.

10-06-2006 09:58 AM #10
      The pills were likely px as a precaution since it appeared your body wasn't responding too well to the cream.

It is the topical solution (cream) that will really give/ show you quicker results in this case on your toe. The doc may just px a stronger antibiotic (both topical and internal) if you dont response after the first treatment.

Keep in mind the pills will also help eventually but they work with the natural cycle of your bodies own antibodies, and this "cycle" takes time.

It is not the same as taking a pill for a headache and then your headache just "goes away."

"It's not a lie if you believe it." - G. Costanza

11. Banned
      10-06-2006 11:30 AM #11
      Apply directly to your toe. Apply directly to your toe. Apply directly to your toe.

10-08-2006 03:33 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by VW TANK »
      a toe infection may take longer to heal, as there is less bloodflow in that area.

that is so wrong.

a toe infection will take longer to heal because it is the furthest extremity from your mouth, the point where medication is administered from.

truth.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      10-08-2006 07:59 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by vw_dick »

that is so wrong.

a toe infection will take longer to heal because it is the furthest extremity from your mouth, the point where medication is administered from.

truth.

Not really. Drugs like antifungals aren't absorbed in the mouth.

And the toe is probably up there with the poorest circulation.

10-08-2006 09:28 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by Buckeye(OH) »
      Not really. Drugs like antifungals aren't absorbed in the mouth.

And the toe is probably up there with the poorest circulation.

you can't possibly think i was being serious.

15. 10-08-2006 10:09 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by dras »
      Apply directly to your toe. Apply directly to your toe. Apply directly to your toe.

hahahah

16. Member
      Vehicles
      10-08-2006 10:16 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by vw_dick »

you can't possibly think i was being serious.

oops. missed the sarcasm

im fired

17. Senior Member
      10-09-2006 12:04 PM #17
      As posted above, take the full treatment regimen, so that you don't only kill off the weaker bacteria and let the more hardy strains to go on. That, combined with misuse of antibiotics (i.e., prescribing them for viral infections), are contributing to antibiotic resistance that is being oberved.

18. 10-09-2006 12:42 PM #18
      Well, it's been more than the remaining 5 days of antibiotics you had left when the post was made.

Are you dead yet?

Vehicles
      2009 370Z sport/touring
      10-09-2006 01:11 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by 1781ccT »
      Well, it's been more than the remaining 5 days of antibiotics you had left when the post was made.

Are you dead yet?

*no reply*

He's DEAD!

20. 10-09-2006 01:19 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by 1781ccT »

Are you dead yet?

been done for a day now, toe is much better, but not 100%. I'll keep soaking it and applying a topical. thanks for the concern though

21. 10-11-2006 12:42 AM #21
      Quote, originally posted by VW TANK »
      a toe infection may take longer to heal, as there is less bloodflow in that area. be sure to finish out your prescription though, dont stop it even if the toe looks or feel better

for clarification, which toe is this? big toe, little toe, or camel toe?

I'm drunk right now, but notice the caring relationship between tank and his #1fan

22. 10-11-2006 12:43 AM #22
      ps, toe is much better, but still a little weird looking