Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Sunglass storage case in overhead won't stay shut

1. 10-09-2006 02:52 PM #1
      The only problem I am having with this car is that the sunglass case in the overhead console behind the sunroof controls will not stay shut. It keeps falling open. I suspect it will have to be replaced but thought I would check and see if anyone else has had this problem and has a solution for it. I hate to go to the dealer if I don't have to.

2. 10-09-2006 04:19 PM #2
      First time I have heard this. Try looking at the latch, the closing function. Might be a self-fix, but if not dealership should fix, but make sure you dont say it worked before when I put my sunglasses in there, cause they might say you did it!
      x

3. 10-09-2006 04:32 PM #3
      Had mine replaced already. When playing the Dynaudio at high levels or when I hit a bump it would open.

4. 10-22-2006 12:11 AM #4
      just had mine replaced under warranty.

Vehicles
      10 Mocha CC Sport - 10 Salsa Jetta LE
      10-22-2006 12:24 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by R32_Beast »
      When playing the Dynaudio at high levels or when I hit a bump it would open.

could they replicate the issue?

how u been? Im thinking of going by the moonlite dinner mee on tuesday.. ru going to be out there?

6. 10-22-2006 04:17 PM #6
      Mine was rattling and wouldn't open. It's being replaced under warranty. Apparently it's a crappy piece of plastic. I love my Passat, but DAMN! I wish they paid better attention to detail some times.

7. 10-23-2006 06:38 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by RafaGolfBr »
      could they replicate the issue?

how u been? Im thinking of going by the moonlite dinner mee on tuesday.. ru going to be out there?

wasssup man, i been alright. The car isnt thou still stitting at the dealer waiting for a new turbo. I may come out tomorrow night. Ill be in a loaner passat.

8. 10-24-2006 02:33 PM #8
      Our B6 has the same issue. It's a pain. So much so, we never even use it. Gladly, that is my only complaint.

9. 09-07-2007 09:29 PM #9
      I have a "2007.5" model Passat and over the last few days the overhead console compartment has become increasingly tempermental to where it won't stay closed at all now - at least not for more than a second.

I have had the compartment out of the console when installing an bluetooth car-kit, although it was happening before & after. I looked at the latch mechanism and it just seems the "teeth" are not long enough to hold the catch and perhaps the spring that pushes on the "plunger" that pushes the compartment out, coupled with the recoil spring are just a little too strong for the latch spring to counter....

Has anyone identifed a "fix" other than swapping it out, and did having the dealer swap it out fix the issue? Are others having this issue with newer 07 models?

The car has just over 2K miles on it so I guess its still "settling in". Kind of frustrated if this is what I have to go into the dealer for (although I can get the radio TSB applied at the same time...)

10. 09-07-2007 09:33 PM #10
      Remember that duct tape the government told us to get after 9/11? It's time to take it out and fix your sunglass storage.

Sorry, couldn't resist. The best thing is to take it to the dealer and see what they say.

11. 09-07-2007 10:49 PM #11
      it will be covered under warranty. ive dealt with this concern many times at my dealership. bring it in to your dealer and have them install a new one. a plastic peice inside the sunglass holder seems to always break or wear down and it wont stay shut.

12. 09-07-2007 11:16 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by Ten94Tuner »
      it will be covered under warranty. ive dealt with this concern many times at my dealership. bring it in to your dealer and have them install a new one. a plastic peice inside the sunglass holder seems to always break or wear down and it wont stay shut.

Guess that's the right option - nothing seems broken and I sure hope its not "worn' with less than 3 weeks and 2K miles in the car

it will just give me an excuse to get the Radio TSB installed so I have a clock on the HU Or, I'll ride it out till my 5K service....

Vehicles
      2008 Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2007 Passat 2.0t Sedan
      09-07-2007 11:44 PM #13
      it seem to be heat related. On hot days mine will do this too. If I park it in the garage, the it stays closed.

I'm going in Monday to have it (along with a list of 13 othe issues) worked on.

2008 Passat 3.6 4Motion Wagon Mine RIP Totaled 4/23/2013
      2007 Passat 2.0t sedan Wife
      2007 Passat 3.6 4Motion Wagon Mine, Lemoned

14. 09-08-2007 06:12 AM #14
      I had it replaced last year under warranty and haven't had any problems since, even on 100 degree days.

Modified by JazzGuyy at 6:13 AM 9-8-2007