Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 96 Jetta - rear wheel bearing noise

1. 10-12-2006 09:54 AM #1
      96 Jetta - low rumbling noise from rt rear wheel. I read the faqs and DIY and decided it had to be the rear wheel bearing.
      Replaced both inner and outer wheel bearings and races and the noise went away - for about 20 miles. Now it's back same as before.

So I guess I need to replace it again, although I don't know what I'll do differently. Any Ideas?

Also - I'm taking the car to be painted today and don't have time to get another bearing and replace it. Can you drive on a noisy wheel bearing for awhile?

2. 10-12-2006 10:28 AM #2
      Mine went in a good 30 miles after it was making noise.

Your back axle could be bent and causing a camber and making the bearing wear quick.

Your car dog tracking at all?

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta Wagon, 2004 Jetta Sedan
      10-12-2006 10:34 AM #3
      you can drive it for awhile with the bad bearings in it, I drove with like that for 2 months b/c I was in college and my tools were at home. Just don't get crazy driving or anything and then just replace them once you are done with the paint. Worst case scenario, the bearings totally die, sieze, kill the spindles/stub axle, and you have to call a tow truck. But that's unlikely.

Are you sure that you installed everything correctly when you last changed the bearings? They can be picky at times. Also make sure that you inspect the spindles for damage from either time the bearings went bad. If you didn't check them and they had some bad wear on them, that could of caused the premature failure you are experiencing now.

Parting out a MK4 Jetta sedan. Galactic Blue. PM me.

4. 10-12-2006 10:38 AM #4
      read up on this it may help
      http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty...x.htm

as far as them deing shot, its possible, you may have overtightened them

5. 10-12-2006 12:26 PM #5
      Ok, I jacked up the car and could wiggle the wheel very slightly (like 1/8 inch?) So I checked and tightned the spindle nut just a bit more than hand tight, so I can still move the washer with a screwdriver but not easily.
      Just drove it to the body shop and the noise is gone I think. I'll see what happens when I get more miles on it.

Vehicles
      Too many
      10-12-2006 12:43 PM #6
      1/8" woza!

Too loose man!!

Vehicles
      VRT, BT A4
      10-12-2006 12:51 PM #7
      Hey.. along the same lines when do you know you pooched a spindle??

Vehicles
      VRT, BT A4
      10-12-2006 12:53 PM #8
      nm.. just read the DIY...

9. 03-30-2009 05:00 PM #9
      when even a new bearing comes loose with your hand pushing it, consider this, it is all machine pressed, your wheel hub into the bearing and the bearing into the spindle.