Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A/C Delete on a Cabriolet - Remove AC compressor

1. 09-07-2010 04:15 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by foogie View Post
      Thanks a lot for this!! I've been thinking of ways to do this but just couldn't think of how. I just started working on this about an hour ago and everything was going good till a piece on the alternator broke (Where the adjustment screw screws into) So i'm going to try and get a new alternator and slap a washer behind the pulley and see how it all works out!
      Well i just rigged up my alternator to get it to work and got the washer on and got everything put back together and it's good to go! Went for a nice drive and didn't have a problem and you can really tell the difference in the power throughout all the ranges! Thanks!

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      85' 8v Scirocco
      09-16-2010 03:58 PM #37
      so all the wires running to the compressor can be ripped out as well ?

Vehicles
      1993 Cabriolet 2000 Dakota RT 2001 Sable LS 2000 Honda Ody 1990 Itasca Motorhome
      09-16-2010 04:10 PM #38
      I just unplugged it. Placed a cable tie to secure the connector. Removed all the hoses. Just to the firewall.
      Nothing like having 1800 cubic. ft. of space going down the highway!

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      85' 8v Scirocco
      09-16-2010 04:42 PM #39
      what do those hoses connect to behind the firewall?

Vehicles
      91 Burgundy Etienne(2), 92 Green Carat, 99 Passat Sedan, 06 2.5L Jetta
      09-16-2010 04:44 PM #40
      They connect to the a/c coils under the dashboard. You -might- be able to disconnect the hoses from under the passenger side foot area.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      85' 8v Scirocco
      09-16-2010 05:11 PM #41
      prolly not even worth it you think? my main concern is just getting the condenser compressor and hoes out of there.

Vehicles
      91 Burgundy Etienne(2), 92 Green Carat, 99 Passat Sedan, 06 2.5L Jetta
      09-16-2010 05:33 PM #42
      If you totally remove them, then you have two holes in the firewall that have to be filled/covered...soo...

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      85' 8v Scirocco
      09-23-2010 11:57 AM #43
      I did this a few days ago and everything went great! So easy to do.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      89 VW cabriolet
      10-21-2010 08:08 AM #44
      Thank you for the pictures and post for removing the AC compressor. Now what do I do with the lines that I un screwed from the compressor. I see one goes to the radiator. If i disconnect that, do I have to plug the radiator hole? And what do I plug it with. The second one goes through the firewall. What on earth do I do with that. Where does it get unscrewed. Do I have to remove the dash??? Is that it after those 2 are removed.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      89 VW cabriolet
      10-21-2010 04:39 PM #45
      I took the large bracket off holding the compressor. What bracket did you put back in place to mount the altenator on. Do I need a special bracket for that?

thank you

Paul

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet, 85 Cabriolet, 90 JettaGL
      10-21-2010 06:58 PM #46
      Read the start of the thread and it explains it all.

Vehicles
      98 fishbowl status vr-trying to sell. 06 colorado xtreme
      10-21-2010 07:55 PM #47
      what iv been searching for. thank god. where did u get the big washer at?

Vehicles
      10-21-2010 09:30 PM #48
      does the original belt work also?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      07 A3 2.0 DSG, 99 Avant 2.8
      10-22-2010 06:00 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVWeatsYourHonda View Post
      does the original belt work also?
      Yes the original belt will work, no need to buy one unless of course it actually needs one. You will lose a belt in the process

As far as the hardware needed, I got all I needed at lowes. Make sure to match up the threading on the replacement bolts. Parts were less than $4...

Vehicles
      10-22-2010 09:53 PM #50
      about how thick is the washer

Vehicles
      '83 TD Rabbit, 98 Jetta wolfy, '06 TDI Golf
      10-23-2010 06:25 PM #51
      I did this swap and had to settle with just bolting the alt right back up. I didn't add any washers to the alt cause i couldn't get that damned pulley off. So now the belt whines when i drive. But the belt isn't showing any major signs of wear as of yet. I bought a new pulley from Toywagen.com but still have yet to install it.

Vehicles
      10-23-2010 07:34 PM #52
      they have one made for the delete?

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      89 VW cabriolet
      10-28-2010 06:59 PM #53
      I just finsihed doing the AC mod exactly as stated on the thread. Everything turned out perfect.
      Now the problem that just came up. The engine will not idol. It ran perfect prior to the mod. I looked for vacum lines that may have come off. Did not see any. Is there any way for me to find out what's going on.
      thank you

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      89 VW cabriolet
      10-29-2010 08:20 AM #54
      Hi,

I just finsihed this mod last night. Started up the car. Ran fine for about 2 min. Then all of a sudden the engine will not idle. I looked around closely and did not see any obvious disconnects. I sprayed some starting fluid around to look for leeks, did not see anything obvious.
      Note. when running above idle, runs great.. Also when I removed the AC bracket, I did a minor engine washing. I thought I was careful not to saturate any electrical stuff.
      Is there somthing that could have caused this. Prior to the AC mod, idle was perfect.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      10-29-2010 09:00 AM #55
      Sounds as if you got a connector wet, and or a vacuum leak.
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

Vehicles
      87cabriolet/ 97pontiac
      10-29-2010 11:23 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by CajunSpike View Post
      If you totally remove them, then you have two holes in the firewall that have to be filled/covered...soo...
      Is there a company that makes some flat rubber plugs that may fit in the holes? That was what I was going to do just so my floor doesnt get moist.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You can't expect them to walk to and from school carrying their babies..

Vehicles
      10-29-2010 03:39 PM #57
      Go to the hardware store and buy some snap in chrome caps. They'll have a size that's a bit small but run abead of silicone seal around the edge and they'll work fine.

12-30-2010 10:16 AM #58
      first this is gangster and second try this on a diesel

Frankly I never disconnect the battery but then again I drive on bald tires and have unprotected sex...

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '97 Golf (sold), '82 Rabbit 'vert, '92 Jetta VRT, '00 BMW 323i wagon
      12-30-2010 10:36 AM #59
      Mentioned it elsewhere, but will in here, too. Yup, works like a champ! Did this to a buddy's last week. Even had some shock bushing sleeves around to put in place of the old bracket.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      90 Jetta Coupe VR, 09 GSX-R600, 06 Tacoma X
      12-30-2010 02:55 PM #60
      Here are 2 alternators... http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...Electrical/6/1 one is for AC equipped cars, the other for cars without AC.
      I'm guessing the alternator for cars without AC has a pully spacer that compensates for the need for increased offset, just as the washer used in the OP's writeup does. Can anybody confirm this? I would guess the are fundamentally the same minus the pulley spacer.

Vehicles
      12-30-2010 05:29 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by bugflucker View Post
      first this is gangster and second try this on a diesel
      Not a whole lot of diesel cabbys around...

01-10-2011 10:30 AM #62
      haha no ****

Vehicles
      90 Quattro, a4 Quattro, 87 Cabriolet TD
      01-11-2011 07:23 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Moljinar View Post
      Not a whole lot of diesel cabbys around...
      True.

So far, we got the ac delete done, but also deleted the power steering too.We ended up getting a new alternator (since the old one was semi dead anyway) for the diesel rabbit engine we are installing. Since we also got rid of the power steeering, we thought we were going to need a different alt. bracket, which we got. Unfortunately, we are having a bit of trouble figuring out how the damn thing installs.

Of course, then we lucked into an Ecodiesel, and stopped rebuilding the na diesel.

29. 02-22-2011 08:43 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by wolfjetta3061 View Post
      Here are 2 alternators... http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...Electrical/6/1 one is for AC equipped cars, the other for cars without AC.
      I'm guessing the alternator for cars without AC has a pully spacer that compensates for the need for increased offset, just as the washer used in the OP's writeup does. Can anybody confirm this? I would guess the are fundamentally the same minus the pulley spacer.
      This is a good question. I think that the two different pullies have different sized belts (width). I'm not sure which one would be best. One might be in the right spot, but have a wider channel, and then vice versa.

I'm just going to get an alt from the parts store and use my pulley and space it a bit. It's pretty darn close with the bracket off.

Also, as an aside, most parts stores sell the alt. with no pulley.

30. 02-26-2011 11:06 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
      This is a good question. I think that the two different pullies have different sized belts (width). I'm not sure which one would be best. One might be in the right spot, but have a wider channel, and then vice versa.

I'm just going to get an alt from the parts store and use my pulley and space it a bit. It's pretty darn close with the bracket off.

Also, as an aside, most parts stores sell the alt. with no pulley.
      Actually, it looks like there are two alternators because the cars with AC use a 90 AMP alt., and the cars without use a 65.

Vehicles
      04.5 TR GLI, 10 Wolfsburg Tiguan, 03 Allroad
      04-03-2011 01:05 PM #66
      I just used this DIY while I replaced my water pump. My AC has not worked since I bought the car, and I figured I might as well drop some of the weight and make stuff more accessible by getting rid of that stupid compressor.

Really glad I got that crap out of there. The bearing was a little tired and the pulley was pretty loud when I spun it by hand. Now the whole v-belt area is much more quiet and the car seems to have a little more get up and go to her.

Thanks for posting this 5 years ago and keeping all the pics up. I had to refer back to the pics of the alternator a few times to make sure I stacked all the parts back on in the right order .

32. Member
      Vehicles
      '97 Golf (sold), '82 Rabbit 'vert, '92 Jetta VRT, '00 BMW 323i wagon
      04-09-2011 09:39 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by SB_GLI View Post
      I just used this DIY while I replaced my water pump. My AC has not worked since I bought the car, and I figured I might as well drop some of the weight and make stuff more accessible by getting rid of that stupid compressor.

Really glad I got that crap out of there. The bearing was a little tired and the pulley was pretty loud when I spun it by hand. Now the whole v-belt area is much more quiet and the car seems to have a little more get up and go to her.

Thanks for posting this 5 years ago and keeping all the pics up. I had to refer back to the pics of the alternator a few times to make sure I stacked all the parts back on in the right order .

Exactly why I did it on my buddy's car. He brought it to me to replace the noisy P/S pump that wasn't noisy, it was the bearings in the A/C clutch dying. Did this, saved him headaches, and quieted everything down, which was the #1 goal!

04-10-2011 04:01 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by wolfjetta3061 View Post
      I believe it has the proper pulley and a smaller fan... on my cabby, I tried to not use the A/C bracket, but when I mocked up the alternator, the fan scrubbed against the engine block. I might've done something wrong though. Can't remember how I was mocking it up, it's possible the alternator was too far to the passenger side... causing the fan to rub... anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to drop that 5 pounds.
      1985 Volkswagen Cabriolet 5 speed, powered by the stock JH 1.8L 8 Valve ...... Needs a little work... lots got done...

1987 parts Cabby The engine from this will be rebuilt/refreshed and push 250-300 hp... then dropped into the 85

Vehicles
      88 Triple white cabby,87 16v gti,91 jetta auto, 96 jetta 2.0l, 97 jetta 2.0, 99.5 jetta 2.0
      04-26-2011 02:33 AM #69
      Could someone do me a favor and take a close up of where exactly they placed the washer. Its hard to tell on my phone and my laptop screen wont be in for a few weeks.

It looks as if you removed the large nut, removed the pulley, placed the washer on and then put the pulley back on top of the washer and tightened it down. Is this correct?

Once again thanks for this write up and everyones help in here.

Vehicles
      89 Golf GL, 94 Passat VR6, 90 Cabriolet, 04 A4 1.8T Quattro
      04-26-2011 09:44 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by 89GTiMk2 View Post
      Quote, originally posted by Moljinar »
      Frankly I never disconnect the battery but then again I drive on bald tires and have unprotected sex...

all while doing intravenous drugs and taking the lords name in vain haha

I ripped the tag right off of a mattress once. Just clean ripped it right the F@#K off. That's right. What's up??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast