VWVortex.com - Trouble w/B4 Keyless Entry & Alarm System
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Trouble w/B4 Keyless Entry & Alarm System

1. 03-21-2002 11:59 AM #1
      Hello All:
      I just recently installed a VW Keyless Entry Kit into a 1996 Passat TDI, and I got problems! When I hit unkock, the first press turns on the courtesy lights, the second press runs the pump and unlocks the doors...all is good.
      When I hit Lock, the first press turns on the alarm flashing light, and that's all I get! I can hear the keyless receiver "click" when I push the remote button, but the pump does not run when I push the button a second time.
      The pump runs fine and locks all the doors when I use the key in either front door or I push down on the drivers' door button.
      More clues: Now,when I lock the doors with the key, the alarm light does not flash. I believe it used to flash before I installed the keyless module. If I am inside the car with the alarm light flashing, it does not let me start the car with the ignition key.
      I have rarely heard the alarm go off!! My point is, I don't think the alarm system is running 100%, could this keep the keyless entry unit from locking the doors, or do I have a bad keyless module?
      Any thoughts?
      Thanks in advance for any help.

2. 03-21-2002 02:36 PM #2

When the keyless entry is working properly on a B4 you need two presses to unlock (one to disarm the security system and a second to open the locks), but only one press of the lock button to lock the doors and arm the alarm.
      You probably need to add a jumper to the keyless entry wiring harness. Some AKES and KES models were designed for use with Golf and Jetta and will not work work properly with B4 Passats without modification.
      Here are the instructions I followed to modify the AKES wiring harness to work on my '95 (April 95 build date):
      - Locate the red wire with yellow stripe on Pin # 13 of the AKES white
      connector.
      - T-splice about 2 feet extension to the Red w/ yellow stripe wire.
      - Locate vehicle gray wire in positon 3 of 5-pin connector entering
      the vehicle from the door jamb boot in the driver's kick panel. (This
      gray wire will show +12V if door is locked with key.)
      - Splice wire extension to vehicle gray wire.
      Note: Red wire with yellow stripe is connected to red wire to parking
      light switch. Don't cut or parking light will be disabled.
      Instructions were provided by AMS where I purchased the AKES. The
      symptoms you describe sound similar the problem I encountered before
      I performed this mod, but it's been over 6 years so I'm not 100% certain!
      Good luck,

3. 03-21-2002 03:13 PM #3
      Hi Penn:
      Please forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what a AKES and a KES is - I assume KES is Keyless Entry System. AKES? Alarm/Keyless Entry System? That's the module that came with the kit?
      This kit was Original Factory VW Autobahn and said it was for Passat/Jetta.Gulf, Eurovan etc.etc.
      I'll take a look for these wires as you suggest.
      MANY THANKS!!!

Vehicles
      2014 Wrangler
      03-21-2002 03:40 PM #4
      I've got the factory keyless entry system on my car, as well with an aftermarket Astrostart unit that works with my door locks and trunk as well. With either remote, I only press the U button once on the VW remote and it disarms and unlocks the all the doors. Same with lock, press L and they all lock.
      °.lllllll.°

Vehicles
      03 Jetta, 06 Passat 3.6, 11 Tiguan SEL
      03-21-2002 10:33 PM #5
      where in gods name did you find a keyless entry for a B4

6. 03-22-2002 07:51 AM #6
      E-Bay. I paid the ridiculous price of $75 or so plus shipping.
      And, it's NOS (New Old Stock)...sitting on some dealers' shelf for years!

7. 03-22-2002 01:27 PM #7
      quote:
      Hi Penn:
      Please forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what a AKES and a KES is - I assume KES is Keyless Entry System. AKES? Alarm/Keyless Entry System? That's the module that came with the kit?
      This kit was Original Factory VW Autobahn and said it was for Passat/Jetta.Gulf, Eurovan etc.etc.
      I'll take a look for these wires as you suggest.
      MANY THANKS!!!
      You're welcome. I would bet that this is the solution to your problem.
      AKES = Advanced Keyless Entry System
      The "advanced", I believe, means that it also controls the windows and moon roof, not just the door locks. Might also have some capability to interface with additional alarm sensors, but I'm not certain.
      Your module (be it KES or AKES - should state which on the manual cover) would probably work as is with a B3 Passat, but requires the wiring addition to work with a B4 (95-97).

8. 03-22-2002 01:43 PM #8
      quote:
      I've got the factory keyless entry system on my car, as well with an aftermarket Astrostart unit that works with my door locks and trunk as well. With either remote, I only press the U button once on the VW remote and it disarms and unlocks the all the doors. Same with lock, press L and they all lock.
      What year is your Passat?
      You probably have a later B4 or (earlier B3?) . There was no factory keyless entry when the B4 was introduced in '95. In fact, at that time my dealer told me no that dealer installed system was available. However, as I found from the aftermarket, the AKES for B3 Passat's (also A3 Golfs, Jettas) could be modified to work with the B4s as I described. The two presses to disarm and unlock simply mimic the actions of the door key which requires two "turns". One to disarm the alarm (and manually unlock that door) and one more to deactivate the power locks for all doors.
      Your later(/earlier?) factory system was no doubt actually designed to work with your Passat's circuitry, hence one press of "U" combining disarm and unlock functions.

9. 03-22-2002 05:14 PM #9
      Hello Penn:
      Just a point of interest: The VW Autobahn kit I bought contained a radio receiver module, and a wiring harness with 2 black plugs (one male & 1 female) so it splices into the KES wiring. I unplugged the socket going into the KES and plugged that into the supplied wiring harness, and plugged the wiring harness into the KES. The receiver module plugged into this wiring harness (with a white connector) between the car wiring and the KES. So, I don't really have a "AKES", I have a radio receiver module telling the KES what to do.
      Knowing that, do you still think your instructions will work in my situation?
      Again, huge thanks!!

10. 03-23-2002 12:00 PM #10
      quote:

Just a point of interest: The VW Autobahn kit I bought contained a radio receiver module, and a wiring harness with 2 black plugs (one male & 1 female) so it splices into the KES wiring. I unplugged the socket going into the KES and plugged that into the supplied wiring harness, and plugged the wiring harness into the KES. The receiver module plugged into this wiring harness (with a white connector) between the car wiring and the KES. So, I don't really have a "AKES", I have a radio receiver module telling the KES what to do.
      Knowing that, do you still think your instructions will work in my situation?
      Again, huge thanks!!
      I believe you're getting confused with the terminology. Your kit is the keyless entry system (KES). What it plugs into is the alarm control module wiring. Without the radio receiver in the kit there is no way for anything to be keyless.
      I am reasonably confident the solution I described will work. And I do not believe you have anything to lose by trying it. You can always re-splice the wire you are going to cut and you would be right back where you are now.

[Modified by pennhaven, 9:01 AM 3-23-2002]

11. 03-25-2002 08:01 AM #11
      Hello Penn:
      Sometimes I'm amazed at my ignorance, and I thank you for showing me whai I need to know. I'll be trying this jumper this week...wish me luck!
      Again, my thanks for your patience - I'll report in on the findings.

12. 03-27-2002 05:25 PM #12
      Pennhaven,
      Thanks for the tip. If you could clarify one thing for me that would be great. Right now I have the jumper wire t-spliced into the grey wire. Am I suppose to cut the grey wire or t-splice it? I tried it yesterday and the remote works great(with it t-spliced). Allthough the alarm doesn't go off when the doors are locked now. ???
      Well atl east the remote is working now.
      Thanks
      Dan

13. 03-28-2002 11:24 AM #13
      quote:

Thanks for the tip. If you could clarify one thing for me that would be great. Right now I have the jumper wire t-spliced into the grey wire. Am I suppose to cut the grey wire or t-splice it? I tried it yesterday and the remote works great(with it t-spliced)...Well at least the remote is working now.

You do not cut the gray wire, just splice it.
      quote:

...Allthough the alarm doesn't go off when the doors are locked now. ???

Not certain what you mean. Why would you expect the alarm go off while your doors are locked?
      Is this the situation? Your alarm light is flashing, indicating the alarm is is armed, but when you -
      1. Open a door without using the key (i.e. lift lock button from inside the car and open door)
      - or -
      2. start the car without unlocking it,
      - then the alarm fails to go off?
      Just curious, I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you in either case.

14. 03-28-2002 10:11 PM #14
      quote:

You do not cut the gray wire, just splice it.
      [quote]
      Cool I got it right then.
      [Quote]
      Not certain what you mean. Why would you expect the alarm go off while your doors are locked?
      Is this the situation? Your alarm light is flashing, indicating the alarm is is armed, but when you -
      1. Open a door without using the key (i.e. lift lock button from inside the car and open door)
      - or -
      2. start the car without unlocking it,
      - then the alarm fails to go off?
      Just curious, I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you in either case.
      Sorry about not being clear. Yes the alarm light is flashing and neither scenerio (1 or 2) the alarm will not go off. Before I added the jumper the alarm worked fine. At least the remote works great. Thanks for your help.
      Dan

15. 03-29-2002 10:03 AM #15
      quote:

Sorry about not being clear. Yes the alarm light is flashing and neither scenerio (1 or 2) the alarm will not go off. Before I added the jumper the alarm worked fine. At least the remote works great. Thanks for your help.

Hmmm. I really don't know what the problem may be. But there is one thing you might try. If you have a push-button switch wired inot the harness of your keyless entry system, as my AKES does, try pressing this switch for a couple of seconds. I believe this is a reset switch for the Keyless system. Doing this cleared up some quirky operation I had after the power was disconnected to my alarm module due to a blown fuse.

16. 03-30-2002 08:20 AM #16
      Hello Penn, Hello Dan:
      Great Newz - the jumper did indeed do the trick! Penn, many, many thanks for your assistance. I'm convinced that without thoughtful VW "posters" like yourself I'd never get an answer to this problem...ESPECIALLY an answer through the VW service network!
      BTW, they put that miserable grey wire in a nasty place, didn't they? (LOL)
      Dan - my alarm behaves just as you describe before and after the jumper installation. I can't explain it either. After I installed the AKES (before jumper) the alarm will not arm with the key, just the remote. Before I installed the AKES, the alarm would go off every once in a while - usually when I opened the trunk with the key. Most times it would not sound. I was beginning to believe the alarm didn't work at all! The only think that always works is if I attempt to start the car with the alarm armed....the alarm system disables the start circuit.
      Oh well, no alarm = no alarm! At least I have a kewl flashing light scaring all the thieves away! (LOL)
      Thank you again, everybody!

17. 03-30-2002 12:53 PM #17
      quote:
      BTW, they put that miserable grey wire in a nasty place, didn't they? (LOL)
      Yeah, IIRC it was a real stretch.
      Glad my tips helped. Sorry I really don't know what's up with the alarm. AFAIK mine works OK (but I don't plan to do any experiments to find out, as I already have work to do on the cruise control and the ABS [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG], and don't need to add anything to the list .)

[Modified by pennhaven, 9:30 AM 3-31-2002]

18. 03-31-2002 03:21 PM #18
      Thanks to everyone who helped (pennhaven your a life saver.)
      That grey wire was by far the hardest thing about the whole installation.
      As long as my remote is working I'm happy.
      And that Kewl blinking led should keep those would be robbers away.
      Thanks again
      Dan (Dubbs,Dslpwr)

19. 02-28-2004 03:28 PM #19
      Hi,
      I'm looking for more detailed directions: where is this hard to reach grey wire? What needs to be removes or found to access it? I assume that I'll be looking for it from under the dash by removing the panel around where the fuses are consealed, right?
      Then connect #13, yellow with red strip, to the grey wire coming from the door jamb?
      Thanks for the help!
      Abe

For advertising information click HERE