Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Tool Chests: Snap-On or Harbor Freight?

1. 11-09-2006 11:30 PM #1
      Heres the dilemma. I need a tool box to clean up all the clutter in my garage. I never buy anything full price or new, I am a lover of ebay and all things second hand. I've got two options for my new tool box.

Harbor Freight:
      THey are having a black friday deal on their SS tool chest for $300. Its way more than I need but a SS chest for $300, thats a bargain.
      http://www.harborfreight.com/c...91469

Snap-On:
      Found a local guy willing to sell me his Snap On Box set for around $400-450. So about $100-150 more than the new HF. Its in good shape with normal wear in tear for living in a garage, and oneone on the drawers probably needs new slides.

Looks like this. 34" wide and 56" tall with the two units.

Am i stupid to even be considering the HF, i mean it is a brand new unit, and SS, not to mention $100-150 cheaper and plenty for my needs, or should I just get the used Snap-On and call it a day.

Thanks,

-Brent

Vehicles
      diesel grandpa truck, n/a diesel jetta, and too many motos
      11-11-2006 04:21 AM #2
      the drawers suck on the hf ones- i'd rather have an old non roller bearing snap on box any day becuase they are servicable.

3. 11-12-2006 05:22 PM #3
      and how much is the shipping for the Harbor freight 1 ---go snap-on --

11-13-2006 10:20 AM #4
      Not that you'll ever sell, but in 5 years the snap on is going to be worth $450-500, the harbor freight is going to be worth $100.
      '04 M3 |'86 Jetta |'76 F100 |'64 Wagonaire |'62 Bel Air| '61 Bug

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 TDI wagon, '72 GT6, '73 1800ES, '64 Mini
      11-13-2006 03:03 PM #5
      A few years ago when H-F first started selling the 41" wide box, I nearly bought one... thn I went ot a store and looked at one.

IT IS CRAP.

As mentioned above, the sliders are not very good... and the drawers are seriously lacking in rigidity - you can pull them half-way out and twist them like crazy. My old Craftsman roll-a-way and chest is better than that.

Sadly, the version the Home Depot sells for a few hundred more isn't much better...

If you can get a Snap-On box for $500, jump on it.

If that is still too much, scour Craigslist for Craftsman boxes. You should be able to find something similar to the pic you posted for $200 or so.

Modified by Ian F at 2:07 PM 11-13-2006

6. 11-13-2006 08:22 PM #6
      I went to sears then HF this weekend (The snapon box is already sold )
      I thought that Sears low end boxes were pretty flimsy. The low-end ball bearings were a little better, but only their high end stuff (meaning over $1000) seemed solid to me. The HF i was actually impressed with. The $400 HF to me was twice the box of the $400 Craftsman. So while I think yeah, its still no comparison to the nice snapon or craftsman for its price point it seemed like a bargain to me.

Thanks,

-Brent

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 TDI wagon, '72 GT6, '73 1800ES, '64 Mini
      11-14-2006 11:02 AM #7
      What you're going through is basically why I have not upgraded from my existing Craftsman friction-slider boxes which I've had for about 10 years. I currently have an 8-drawer bottom cabinet and a 12dr drop-front chest. Both are packed to the gills... And while to H-F is defintiely larger than what I have now, it's a step down in quality.

Also, floor space is an issue in my garage... As a stop-gap I lucked out on a pair of Gladiator floor sample cabinets from Lowes (one 5 dr and one 2-door; $150 ea) which helped for a while, but those have since been filled... and I keep buying tools...

8. 11-14-2006 11:29 AM #8
      The stainless HF looks to be better build quality than the regular version they have for sale. If you go by weight capacity its rated at 2000lbs, while the regular version is just over 500lbs. So i'm guessing that extra 1500lbs capacity is due to some increase in build quality over the typical version. One thing is that if i decide to add on the top box for the SS on the friday after turkey day sale its $550+tax for both boxes, its getting close to the $650+ tax range that I can get a stainless for at costco, and have a lifetime warranty given their generous return policy.

-Brent

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI
      11-14-2006 01:59 PM #9
      I picked up a box from Sams Club earlier this year. It was a tossup between one from there, or HF. 41" wide, and about 56" high with the top box. Stainless with roller drawers and drawer liners. It was $650 and after looking at it in in person, a pretty good deal.

Would be nice if the top chest had more drawers (small ones instead of running the width of the box) but everything rolls open and closed real nice.

10. 11-14-2006 05:38 PM #10
      Whats the weight capacity of the one from sams club (from what ive heard its the same model that costco sells.

Thanks,

-Brent

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI
      11-17-2006 10:17 AM #11
      I really dont recall any specifics but I saw pictures of the costco unit and they are very similar. It's as heavy duty of a tool box as I'll ever need

12. 11-18-2006 06:35 PM #12
      I just purchased the 13 drawer lower box from HF. I was pretty impressed with it. It seems to be a good quality build, I wonder if the box everyone else is talking about is the same one I bought?

The box I got is heavy.. it probably weighs 200lbs empty, and according to the decal on the back of the box, it's rated for 2200 lbs, evenly spaced out.

It's light years ahead of anything at sears or lowes/home depot. The stainless steel one for the black friday insanity looks decent. A few guys at work have purchased the Costco ones. The quality is ok, the biggest headache is the constant cleaning the boxes need to stay shiny.

One guys box has started to oxidize a little bit, so apparently the manufacturer uses a low quality grade of stainless for the box.

I would have said to pounce on the Snap-on box, but since it's gone I'd suggest looking at the red U.S.General box at HF. It's not bad for $400, and if you get the 15% off coupon, it comes to $355. That's what mine cost.

13. 11-18-2006 06:55 PM #13
      Whats the item number of the one you purchased? The only downside with the Red box from HF is that it has a low (+/-500lbs weight limit).

I looked at a set that costco had today, and each drawer was designed to hold a max of 150lbs, vs. the HF SS at around 80lbs each. I think for $600 I may just get the costco box, which has a 40" SS lower and upper box.

Turns out I will be going out of town this year for thanksgiving so its a nogo on the HF deal anyway, and without the major discounts there is no way it will beat the costco box for value.

Maybe i'll wait till after xmas to see if things go back on sale.

-Brent

14. 11-19-2006 12:52 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by spookygeek »
      Whats the item number of the one you purchased?

-Brent

item # is: 90320. I can post a pic of the load limit decal if you want to see it.

15. 11-19-2006 11:57 PM #15
      I believe your decal is right, but its just odd since I downloaded the PDF of that product and it lists the capacity at 475lbs? Maybe I'll give them a call it could be that the Manual is incorrect. I mean the thing is listed at 283lbs of weight cabinet alone, 475 sounds low to me for something that heavy.

PDF
      http://www.harborfreight.com/m...0.pdf

Any idea as to why your decal says capacity is over 2000lbs and the manual says 475lbs? Am I missing something here or does something here not jive. maybe I'll give the HF people a call for clarification. Post a pic of that decal if you get a chance btw.

Thanks,

-Brent

16. 11-20-2006 09:08 PM #16

Modified by wjbski at 8:16 PM 11-20-2006

17. 11-20-2006 11:33 PM #17
      I wonder what to believe the manual or the decal?

-Brent

18. 11-21-2006 08:43 PM #18
      I'm going with the decal. I have all of my sockets in the big top drawer, and even with all of that weight the drawer opens effortlessly. I have no doubt that the drawer will easily hold more weight, if I had the space!