Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit Movie Update

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      12-18-2007 03:44 PM #71
      Quote, originally posted by Karma »
      The press release says the first movie will be based on The Hobbit and the second movie will be based on material from Tolkien's notes to bridge the first movie with the LOTR trilogy.

That actually could be AWESOME! I'd love to see the fight with the Necromancer (later to be discovered to be Sauron) or the Balin lead Dwarves to re-occupy Moria only to be slaughtered by the Orcs.... There is an almost endless supply of Middle Earth references that are film worthy.

Vehicles
      1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG | 2014 Porsche Cayman
      12-18-2007 03:45 PM #72
      I hope Jackson directs as well. It would be a shame if he didn't.

Dear God, do NOT hand the reigns over to Sam Raimi. After the disaster of Spider-Man 3, I don't want him doing the same to the Hobbit.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      12-18-2007 03:56 PM #73
      Quote, originally posted by U n i o n 0015 »
      I hope Jackson directs as well. It would be a shame if he didn't.

As long as he is somehow involved I believe it will be great.

Dear God, do NOT hand the reigns over to Sam Raimi. After the disaster of Spider-Man 3, I don't want him doing the same to the Hobbit.

With Raimi he can be really, really good, or really, really bad. I'll admit that I would prefer someone other than he to direct.

Vehicles
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 07 Honda Fit
      12-18-2007 04:24 PM #74

Don't be so quick to blame Sam Raimi for Spider Man 3. Apparently it was the producer, Avi Arad, who forced him to cram the whole Venom storyline into the movie.

12-18-2007 04:34 PM #75
      I thought jackson was just going to produce the movie the hobbit... i didnt think he was going to direct it.
      Oh, Hai IG: @bethisloco

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      12-18-2007 04:35 PM #76
      Quote, originally posted by mk2eurogirl »
      I don't read threads, I just post in them.

Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

12-18-2007 04:39 PM #77

i know i know www but people posted ^^^^^ i hope jackson directs as well... he isnt going to!!

Vehicles
      12-18-2007 04:46 PM #78
      Quote, originally posted by Sortafast »

Don't be so quick to blame Sam Raimi for Spider Man 3. Apparently it was the producer, Avi Arad, who forced him to cram the whole Venom storyline into the movie.

He still wrote the screenplay and directed the movie. Even if he was told to include Venom by Arad, doesn't mean he had to write and direct a turd.

12-18-2007 04:58 PM #79
      thats what devides great directors and sucky directors.

Vehicles
      2009 R56 S, 1987 E30
      12-18-2007 05:01 PM #80
      Here's the full Press Release. Aww to the muthafkn YEAH!

ACADEMY AWARD-WINNER PETER JACKSON AND NEW LINE CINEMA JOIN WITH MGM TO PRODUCE “THE HOBBIT,” EAGERLY-ANTICIPATED FANTASY ADVENTURE EPIC

NEW LINE AND MGM TO CO-PRODUCE AND SHARE WORLDWIDE DISTRIBUTION RIGHTS

PETER JACKSON AND FRAN WALSH TO EXECUTIVE PRODUCE TWO FILMS BASED ON “THE HOBBIT”

Los Angeles, CA (Tuesday, December 18, 2007) Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson; Harry Sloan, Chairman and CEO, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM); Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs of New Line Cinema have jointly announced today that they have entered into the following series of agreements:

* MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, “The Hobbit” and a sequel to “The Hobbit.” New Line will distribute in North America and MGM will distribute internationally.

* Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as Executive Producers of two films based on “The Hobbit.” New Line will manage the production of the films, which will be shot simultaneously.

* Peter Jackson and New Line have settled all litigation relating to the “Lord of the Rings” (LOTR) Trilogy.

Said Peter Jackson, “I’m very pleased that we’ve been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line. ‘The Lord of the Rings’ is a legacy we proudly share with Bob and Michael, and together, we share that legacy with millions of loyal fans all over the world. We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth. I also want to thank Harry Sloan and our new friends at MGM for helping us find the common ground necessary to continue that journey.”

“Peter Jackson has proven himself as the filmmaker who can bring the extraordinary imagination of Tolkien to life and we full heartedly agree with the fans worldwide who know he should be making ‘The Hobbit,’” said Sloan, MGM’s Chairman and CEO. “Now that we are all in agreement on ‘The Hobbit,’ we can focus on assembling the production team that will capture this phenomenal tale on film.”

Bob Shaye, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO comments, “We are very pleased we have been able to resolve our differences, and that Peter and Fran will be actively and creatively involved with ‘The Hobbit’ movies. We know they will bring the same passion, care and talent to these films that they so ably accomplished with ‘The Lord of the Rings’ Trilogy.”

“Peter is a visionary filmmaker, and he broke new ground with ‘The Lord of the Rings,’” notes Michael Lynne, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO. “We’re delighted he’s back for ‘The Hobbit’ films and that the Tolkien saga will continue with his imprint. We greatly appreciate the efforts of Harry Sloan, who has been instrumental in helping us reach our new accord.”

The two “Hobbit” films – “The Hobbit” and its sequel – are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, with pre-production beginning as soon as possible. Principal photography is tentatively set for a 2009 start, with the intention of “The Hobbit” release slated for 2010 and its sequel the following year, in 2011.

The Oscar-winning, critically-acclaimed LOTR Trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box-office. In 2003, “Return of the King” swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the eleven categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The Trilogy’s production was also unprecedented at the time.

For more information about “The Hobbit” films, please visit http://community.thehobbitsite.com.

About New Line Cinema Corporation:

Celebrating its 40th anniversary year, New Line Cinema is the most successful independent film company in the world. Its mission is to produce innovative, popular and profitable entertainment in the best creative environment. In addition to the production, marketing and distribution of theatrical motion pictures, the fully-integrated studio has divisions devoted to home entertainment, television, music, theater, merchandising and an international unit. In 2005, New Line partnered with HBO to form Picturehouse, a new theatrical distribution company to release independent films. A pioneer in franchise filmmaking, New Line’s Oscar-winning The Lord of the Rings trilogy is one of the most successful film franchises in history. New Line is a division of Time Warner, Inc. (TWX).

About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.:

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., through its operating subsidiaries, is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, interactive media, music and licensed merchandise. The company owns the world’s largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., Ventanazul, MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Domestic Networks LLC, MGM Distribution Co, MGM International Television Distribution In, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC, MGM ON STAGE, MGM Music, MGM Worldwide Digital Media, MGM Consumer Products and MGM Interactive. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in international TV channels reaching nearly 120 countries. MGM ownership is as follows: Providence Equity Partners (29%), TPG (21%), Sony Corporation of America (20%), Comcast (20%), DLJ Merchant Banking Partners (7%) and Quadrangle Group (3%). For more information, visit http://www.mgm.com.

About Peter Jackson/Wingnut Films:

Peter Jackson is one of the world’s most successful filmmakers. His monumental achievement co-writing, co-producing and directing The Lord of the Rings trilogy (with fellow Academy Award winners and frequent collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens) earned a total of 30 Academy Award nominations and 17 Academy Awards. Jackson and Walsh received their first Oscar nomination for Best Original Screenplay for their acclaimed film Heavenly Creatures. Jackson, through his New Zealand-based Wingnut Films banner, also was responsible for the globally successful 2005 remake of King Kong which earned over $500 million worldwide and 3 Academy Awards. Currently, Jackson is directing an adaptation of The Lovely Bones, from the acclaimed best-selling novel by Alice Sebold. He is also developing a trilogy of films with Steven Spielberg based on Tintin, the world renowned comic book series by Herge.

2009 MINI Cooper S
      1988 BMW 325i topless

12-18-2007 06:22 PM #81
      hopefully im alive in 2010... this is like the matrix wait. great.

Vehicles
      2011 Volvo C30 R-Design
      12-18-2007 07:50 PM #82
      hopefully im alive in 2010... this is like the matrix wait. great.

I plan on living till then also

12-18-2007 07:52 PM #83
      Quote, originally posted by umeng2002 »

I plan on living till then also

holy sh*T im gonna be 23... that sucks. maybe i wont be single though!! LOL

Vehicles
      2011 Volvo C30 R-Design
      12-18-2007 10:15 PM #84

holy sh*T im gonna be 23... that sucks. maybe i wont be single though!! LOL

Are you not taking some kind of court ordered medication?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      12-18-2007 11:06 PM #85
      Assuming it comes out Christmas 2010 like the LOTR movies I'll be THIRTY. I was 21 when FOTR came out.

12-18-2007 11:38 PM #86
      This is awesome! I hope that Jackson directs as well, I'd PAY MONEY for Raimi not to direct. I don't care what anyone says, his movies suck.

12-19-2007 03:30 AM #87
      Quote, originally posted by Code-7 »
      This is awesome! I hope that Jackson directs as well, I'd PAY MONEY for Raimi not to direct. I don't care what anyone says, his movies suck.

LOL "karma" this is why i wrote my post!!! HAHA

12-19-2007 09:17 AM #88
      finally! this has been going on for like 2 years nice o see that they figured **** out. Now the wait.
      stay in drugs, eat school, and don't do vegetables
      permanent vacation

Vehicles
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      12-19-2007 09:18 AM #89
      Best news ever, and another reason to keep on living for a few more years
      Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon

12-19-2007 09:29 AM #90
      Quote, originally posted by White Jetta »
      Best news ever, and another reason to keep on living for a few more years

haha damn straight

stay in drugs, eat school, and don't do vegetables
      permanent vacation

21. 12-19-2007 02:27 PM #91
      2010 here I come!!!

12-19-2007 02:28 PM #92
      Quote, originally posted by J44KK0 »
      2010 here I come!!!

im glad you're so optimistic

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      12-19-2007 03:20 PM #93
      Assuming it comes out Christmas 2010 like the LOTR movies I'll be THIRTY. I was 21 when FOTR came out.

I'll be 38. I was 29 when FOTR came out. I remember seeing it for the first time like it was yesterday.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      01-29-2008 11:41 PM #94
      Del Toro is one of like maybe 3 directors I could remotely imagine handling this material. This would be great for the franchise

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080128h.php

Quote »
      Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct back-to-back installments of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" for New Line and MGM says The Hollywood Reporter.

One of the most anticipated literary adaptations of the past decade in the wake of the success of "The Lord of the Rings", New Line has to tread carefully to not upset its billion-dollar franchise or its fanbase.

The resolution of a lawsuit in December put the project back on track, but 'Rings' director Peter Jackson could not take on writing and directing roles due to other commitments - instead he'll serve as executive producer.

Tolkien's 1937 prequel to 'Rings' centered on Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit who joins a group of dwarves and the wizard Gandalf on a quest to find the treasure of a dragon named Smaug.

Del Toro however commands a lot of respect thanks to a large geek fanbase, a love of the source material, and most notably an acclaimed sense of fantasy filmmaking seen in such films as the Oscar-nominated "Pan's Labyrinth," "The Devil's Backbone," "Hellboy" and "Blade 2".

Because of the strike, no writer has been hired yet though that process will be fast-tracked once it's resolved. Del Toro and Jackson will oversee "Hobbit's" writing.

Both films will be shot simultaneously during 2009 for a total production budget of $300 million (the original 'Rings' trilogy cost an economically modest $270 million). The release of the first film is slated for 2010 and the second in 2011.

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      01-29-2008 11:50 PM #95
      vwot.org

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught.
      In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity. - Hunter S Thompson

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      01-30-2008 09:34 AM #96
      Del Toro is one of like maybe 3 directors I could remotely imagine handling this material. This would be great for the franchise

Seriously?

Del Toro does nothing for me.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      01-30-2008 09:42 AM #97
      Did you see Pan's Labyrinth?

28. 01-30-2008 10:13 AM #98
      awesome.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      01-30-2008 10:18 AM #99
      Did you see Pan's Labyrinth?

Unfortunately. I despise Foreign Language films.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      01-30-2008 10:28 AM #100
      Quote, originally posted by Methalius »
      Unfortunately. I despise Foreign Language films.

Then you're biased and don't get a vote

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      01-30-2008 10:41 AM #101

Then you're biased and don't get a vote

It wasn't just that either. The imagery was all right but the movie just had a weird feeling to it for me. It wasn't groundbreaking in my eyes (not that all movies need to be) but it just felt recycled I guess.

If he directs it I'm sure I'll see it but I won't be expecting to be blown away. Maybe that is a good thing. When I heard, almost 10 years ago now, that Peter Jackson was going to be doing the Lord of the Rings I knew it was going to be an amazing experience. Del Toro? Not so much.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      01-30-2008 10:45 AM #102
      No offense but how the heck could you know Peter Jackson was going to make an amazing set of films? Based on what? The Frighteners?

I think with PJ's guidance on the script, casting, and filming it's going to be a very natural feeling extention of the original trilogy.

Vehicles
      01-30-2008 10:55 AM #103
      No offense but how the heck could you know Peter Jackson was going to make an amazing set of films? Based on what? The Frighteners?

I think with PJ's guidance on the script, casting, and filming it's going to be a very natural feeling extention of the original trilogy.

x2. When I heard del Toro was in talks, I thought it was a good fit, especially considering his work on Pan's. He'd be a heck of a lot better than Sam Raimi, that's for sure.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      01-30-2008 11:04 AM #104

I was actually a fan of his films long before the Frighteners and I felt he had the ability to bring the Lord of the Rings to life. Besides, I knew he was a huge fan of books long before he ever agreed to direct. Based on the outcome of the films I must be insane, right?

I certainly hope that you are right but I am not holding my breath. This is the same guy that directed Hellboy, Mimic and Blade 2 as well.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      01-30-2008 12:36 PM #105
      Quote, originally posted by Methalius »
      I was actually a fan of his films long before the Frighteners and I felt he had the ability to bring the Lord of the Rings to life. Besides, I knew he was a huge fan of books long before he ever agreed to direct. Based on the outcome of the films I must be insane, right?

I certainly hope that you are right but I am not holding my breath. This is the same guy that directed Hellboy, Mimic and Blade 2 as well.

Well Del Toro is also a huge fan of the source material as well as Jackson's take on the world of Middle Earth. He said he'd only want to expand on it if he directs the Hobbit movies.

I'm just saying I don't think it was really possible to judge the outcome of the LOTR films based on Jackson's prior work - he was basically a B movie horror director. Tolkien fans were OUTRAGED when he originally signed on. They were all proven wrong but the guy's earlier movies are medicore at best (King Kong wasn't much to write home about either, IMO).

We'll see how insane I am in my prediction in 2010 then I suppose

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast