Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Results 386 to 420 of 585

    Thread: The Hobbit Movie Update

    1. Senior Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      31,666
      Vehicles
      German/American/French
      07-30-2012 07:23 PM #386
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      So... with three whole movies they didn't cut anything from the book. Right??
      Well, that's what "fans" whinged about when it came to LOTR.

      Now, he is doing his best to please them... well, those "fans" still ain't happy.

      As a big fan of Peter Jackson's work, I say bring it on!

      Edit: Looks like they are bringing some stuff from appendices of TLOTR.
      Last edited by J-Tim; 07-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

    2. Member ErikGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Gahanna, Ohio, US and A
      Posts
      1,368
      Vehicles
      00' BMW 528i
      07-30-2012 07:24 PM #387
      They better not cut anything from the book then, there's no excuse.



      Erik
      Build model cars? Race RC cars? Check out Central Ohio's best hobby shop

    3. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2002
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      6,398
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      07-30-2012 07:53 PM #388
      Quote Originally Posted by ErikGTI View Post
      They better not cut anything from the book then, there's no excuse.



      Erik
      That will be saved for the Special Director's Cut Unedited Extended Edition that will be available on three separate DVD/Blu Ray releases spaced out about three months from each other

    4. 07-31-2012 07:56 AM #389
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      That will be saved for the Special Director's Cut Unedited Extended Edition that will be available on three separate DVD/Blu Ray releases spaced out about three months from each other
      total running time...15 hours.

    5. Senior Member beng's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 13th, 2002
      Location
      NutVegas, NJ
      Posts
      30,075
      Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      07-31-2012 12:37 PM #390
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Well, that's what "fans" whinged about when it came to LOTR.

      Now, he is doing his best to please them... well, those "fans" still ain't happy.

      As a big fan of Peter Jackson's work, I say bring it on!

      Edit: Looks like they are bringing some stuff from appendices of TLOTR.
      Yes they are. I am AMPED. You cant be a "fan" of Tolkien and not want to see as much of his writing as possible translated to the big screen by Jackson.

      LOTR was superb.

      All three films about the Hobbit will be as well.

      Cant wait!!!
      1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

      "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      18,163
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      07-31-2012 03:42 PM #391
      Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
      LOTR was superb.
      It had 3 lengthy books to pull material from for 3 movies.

      The Hobbit has 1 short book to cover 3 movies.

      Hoping for the best, but Jackson is far from infallible. Remember, um... everything he's done since LOTR?
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

    7. Senior Member NoDubJustYet's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      WNoVA
      Posts
      27,560
      Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      07-31-2012 03:50 PM #392
      Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
      It had 3 lengthy books to pull material from for 3 movies.

      The Hobbit has 1 short book to cover 3 movies.
      This.

    8. Member impact's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 6th, 2002
      Posts
      5,192
      Vehicles
      2006 Škoda Octavia
      07-31-2012 06:57 PM #393
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      I was at Best Buy the other day and they were showing Tron on a 70" LCD with Truemotion turned on. It looked so stupid and cheesey, I asked the salesman why they had it turned on and he said he thought it looked better. I almost called him an idiot. I am glad my plasma doesn't have that crap. from what I read a lot of the people that saw the 10 minute footage said it looked pretty bad compared to 24 fps.
      You just have to get used to it. Right now your brain has learned that 24 fps = movies and that's why faster rates feel wrong. But once you get used to it, you won't be happy to go back to 24 fps choppyness and bluriness.

    9. Member DarkSideGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 11th, 2001
      Location
      SL,UT
      Posts
      16,697
      Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      07-31-2012 07:07 PM #394
      Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post
      You just have to get used to it. Right now your brain has learned that 24 fps = movies and that's why faster rates feel wrong. But once you get used to it, you won't be happy to go back to 24 fps choppyness and bluriness.
      I'm not going to get used to it. It really looks like crap. I was at dinner the other day and the restaurant's TV had smooth motion turned on and I almost asked them to fix it. It makes everything look like it was filmed with a camcorder.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      18,163
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      07-31-2012 07:19 PM #395
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      I'm not going to get used to it. It really looks like crap. I was at dinner the other day and the restaurant's TV had smooth motion turned on and I almost asked them to fix it. It makes everything look like it was filmed with a camcorder.
      Uncalibrated TV in diner with Truemotion turned on playing a TV broadcast != Digital theater natively playing source material filmed at 48fps with RED cameras.

      I'm not saying 48fps won't suck, but we simply can't compare to what we've seen on TVs and read online about the 10 minute 48fps demo. Let's all give it the 3 hours in the theater and provide our reviews on 12/14...
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

    11. Senior Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      31,666
      Vehicles
      German/American/French
      07-31-2012 10:09 PM #396
      Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
      The Hobbit has 1 short book to cover 3 movies.

      Hoping for the best, but Jackson is far from infallible. Remember, um... everything he's done since LOTR?
      1. There is more than enough additional material in LOTR appendices which covers what has happened in Hobbit.

      2. What about King Kong and The Lovely Bones ? Both are fantastic!
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

    12. Member DarkSideGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 11th, 2001
      Location
      SL,UT
      Posts
      16,697
      Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      07-31-2012 10:11 PM #397
      Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
      Uncalibrated TV in diner with Truemotion turned on playing a TV broadcast != Digital theater natively playing source material filmed at 48fps with RED cameras.

      I'm not saying 48fps won't suck, but we simply can't compare to what we've seen on TVs and read online about the 10 minute 48fps demo. Let's all give it the 3 hours in the theater and provide our reviews on 12/14...
      My original post about this was in regards to a 70" LCD calibrated playing a Tron Blu Ray. It still looked awful.

    13. Senior Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      31,666
      Vehicles
      German/American/French
      07-31-2012 10:14 PM #398
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      My original post about this was in regards to a 70" LCD calibrated playing a Tron Blu Ray. It still looked awful.
      Tron is not a movie, filmed in 48fps. Anything upconverted/upscaled will never look as good as good.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      18,163
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      08-01-2012 10:18 AM #399
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      1. There is more than enough additional material in LOTR appendices which covers what has happened in Hobbit.

      2. What about King Kong and The Lovely Bones ? Both are fantastic!
      Fact of the matter is Jackson is working with less than 1/3 of the material he was for the first 3 movies, but producing the same amount of content. It's a valid concern, but one I'm hopeful proves to be a non-issue.

      Glad you enjoyed them. Very few people did.
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      18,163
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      08-01-2012 10:19 AM #400
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      My original post about this was in regards to a 70" LCD calibrated playing a Tron Blu Ray. It still looked awful.
      A 70" calibrated LCD at a restaurant? I need dining establishments with these A/V standards in my area.
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

    16. Member DarkSideGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 11th, 2001
      Location
      SL,UT
      Posts
      16,697
      Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      08-01-2012 11:44 AM #401
      Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
      A 70" calibrated LCD at a restaurant? I need dining establishments with these A/V standards in my area.
      You are confusing two different posts.



      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      I was at Best Buy the other day and they were showing Tron on a 70" LCD with Truemotion turned on. It looked so stupid and cheesey, I asked the salesman why they had it turned on and he said he thought it looked better. I almost called him an idiot. I am glad my plasma doesn't have that crap. from what I read a lot of the people that saw the 10 minute footage said it looked pretty bad compared to 24 fps.
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      I'm not going to get used to it. It really looks like crap. I was at dinner the other day and the restaurant's TV had smooth motion turned on and I almost asked them to fix it. It makes everything look like it was filmed with a camcorder.

    17. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      20,881
      08-01-2012 12:42 PM #402
      Jesus Chr!st, can we start a new Hobbit thread and rename this one?

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      18,163
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      08-01-2012 01:06 PM #403
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      You are confusing two different posts.
      Got it. Point holds though, you can't compare either to 48fps source material displayed via a calibrated digital projector.
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

    19. Member DarkSideGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 11th, 2001
      Location
      SL,UT
      Posts
      16,697
      Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      08-01-2012 03:58 PM #404
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      Jesus Chr!st, can we start a new Hobbit thread and rename this one?
      The 48fps talk is relevant to the topic.

      Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
      Got it. Point holds though, you can't compare either to 48fps source material displayed via a calibrated digital projector.
      I said I would hold final judgement until I saw it. I am just worried. They were supposedly going to show the 48 fps trailer before TDKR, but they didn't, at least in my theater.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      18,163
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      08-01-2012 04:18 PM #405
      There is no 48fps trailer (yet), to my knowledge.
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

    21. Senior Member beng's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 13th, 2002
      Location
      NutVegas, NJ
      Posts
      30,075
      Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      08-01-2012 04:29 PM #406
      Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
      It had 3 lengthy books to pull material from for 3 movies.

      The Hobbit has 1 short book to cover 3 movies.

      Hoping for the best, but Jackson is far from infallible. Remember, um... everything he's done since LOTR?
      There is enough material in LOTR to cover at least 6 more hours of screen time. It could have been 5 movies. Maybe 6. So I could see the Hobbit and the appendices/unwritten material making it to 3. They don't all have to be 3 hours either.
      1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

      "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      18,163
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      08-01-2012 04:35 PM #407
      Yep, shorter movies would help here.
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      18,163
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      08-02-2012 07:53 AM #408
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

    24. Senior Member NoDubJustYet's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      WNoVA
      Posts
      27,560
      Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      08-02-2012 08:10 AM #409
      So, part one will be the background to the whole Hobbit/LOTR universe?

      I can see it now... three months before release they decide to push it back so PJ can make The Silmarillion.

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      18,163
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      08-03-2012 09:37 AM #410
      Great analysis of the decision by TORN. My pessimism is slightly curbed

      http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...to-expect-now/
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      18,163
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      08-12-2012 11:18 AM #411
      We need a full trailer for this thing already. Last one was 8 freaking months ago!
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

    27. Member Sean A's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 8th, 2011
      Location
      Red Lion, PA
      Posts
      911
      Vehicles
      87 Cabby, 01 Jetta 2.0
      08-14-2012 10:41 PM #412
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      So, part one will be the background to the whole Hobbit/LOTR universe?

      I can see it now... three months before release they decide to push it back so PJ can make The Silmarillion.
      I would be OK with that.

      And I would love to see a new trailer aswell. Haven't seen the original one in the theater since Batman. That's always what i'm most excited for besides the movie >.>

    28. 09-09-2012 10:50 PM #413
      release dates...

      The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey arrives on Dec 14 this year as planned, and The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug hits screens on December 13, 2013, as was always the schedule for the second film. Then the freshly retitled The Hobbit: There And Back Again will be in cinemas on July 18, 2014.

    29. Senior Member beng's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 13th, 2002
      Location
      NutVegas, NJ
      Posts
      30,075
      Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      09-10-2012 04:24 PM #414
      3 straight years of Hobbit awesomeness.



      Just saw the latest preview on an IMAX screen before Raiders of the Lost Ark. Holy **** this looks awesome. I didnt have any issue with the preview. Effects look awesome. Preview as very polished.
      1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

      "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

    30. Geriatric Member EK20's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2004
      Location
      Mill Creek, WA
      Posts
      81,245
      Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      09-11-2012 12:34 PM #415
      It's going to be a good three years.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

    31. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      12,698
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      09-11-2012 01:31 PM #416
      Quote Originally Posted by EK20 View Post
      It's going to be a good three years.
      I loved the feeling of looking forward to December every year for a new LotR movie. I'm looking forward to these Hobbit movies much the same. The Hobbit is THE movie I'm looking forward to for the rest of the year.

    32. Senior Member beng's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 13th, 2002
      Location
      NutVegas, NJ
      Posts
      30,075
      Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      09-11-2012 02:21 PM #417
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      I loved the feeling of looking forward to December every year for a new LotR movie. I'm looking forward to these Hobbit movies much the same. The Hobbit is THE movie I'm looking forward to for the rest of the year.
      No doubt. My son is almost three.. so he'll still be too little even when the third one comes out. ...but at some point, I really look forward to watching all of these with him. ...but first, I want to read him the books
      1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

      "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

    33. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      18,163
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      09-11-2012 06:29 PM #418
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      I loved the feeling of looking forward to December every year for a new LotR movie.
      Yep, brings back fond memories. Can't wait.
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

    34. Senior Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      31,666
      Vehicles
      German/American/French
      09-11-2012 09:15 PM #419
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      I loved the feeling of looking forward to December every year for a new LotR movie. I'm looking forward to these Hobbit movies much the same. The Hobbit is THE movie I'm looking forward to for the rest of the year.
      Same here. It's 2001-2003 all over again!
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

    35. Member prom king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2004
      Location
      The Castle, Long Island NY
      Posts
      15,437
      Vehicles
      86 Scirocco 16v, 2010 Golf TDI
      09-13-2012 07:47 AM #420
      3 long books = 1 movie each, with a re-release of an extended movies a year after...

      1 short childrens book = 3 movies

      Milk it for what you can I guess.

    Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •