Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit Movie Update

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 A3, 2015 Q5
      11-20-2006 09:22 AM #26
      This is AMAZINGLY stupid on New Line's part. The uglyness is in the details...
      http://www.theonering.net/perl...93546
      Quote »
      Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh Talk THE HOBBIT
      Xoanon @ 10:32 pm EST
      Moments ago we received this email from Peter Jackson and his crew down in New Zealand, take a look...
      Dear One Ringers,
      As you know, there's been a lot of speculation about The Hobbit. We are often asked about when or if this film will ever be made. We have always responded that we would be very interested in making the film - if it were offered to us to make.
      You may also be aware that Wingnut Films has bought a lawsuit against New Line, which resulted from an audit we undertook on part of the income of The Fellowship of the Ring. Our attitude with the lawsuit has always been that since it's largely based on differences of opinion about certain accounting practices, we would like an independent body - whether it be a judge, a jury, or a mediator, to look at the issues and make an unbiased ruling. We are happy to accept whatever that ruling is. In our minds, it's not much more complex than that and that's exactly why film contracts include right-to-audit clauses.
      However, we have always said that we do not want to discuss The Hobbit with New Line until the lawsuit over New Line's accounting practices is resolved. This is simple common sense - you cannot be in a relationship with a film studio, making a complex, expensive movie and dealing with all the pressures and responsibilities that come with the job, while an unresolved lawsuit exists.
      We have also said that we do not want to tie settlement of the lawsuit to making a film of The Hobbit. In other words, we would have to agree to make The Hobbit as a condition of New Line settling our lawsuit. In our minds this is not the right reason to make a film and if a film of The Hobbit went ahead on this basis, it would be doomed. Deciding to make a movie should come from the heart - it's not a matter of business convenience. When you agree to make a film, you're taking on a massive commitment and you need to be driven by an absolute passion to want to get the story on screen. It's that passion, and passion alone, that gives the movie its imagination and heart. To us it is not a cold-blooded business decision.
      A couple of months ago there was a flurry of Hobbit news in the media. MGM, who own a portion of the film rights in The Hobbit, publicly stated they wanted to make the film with us. It was a little weird at the time because nobody from New Line had ever spoken to us about making a film of The Hobbit and the media had some fun with that. Within a week or two of those stories, our Manager Ken Kamins got a call from the co-president of New Line Cinema, Michael Lynne, who in essence told Ken that the way to settle the lawsuit was to get a commitment from us to make the Hobbit, because "that's how these things are done". Michael Lynne said we would stand to make much more money if we tied the lawsuit and the movie deal together and this may well be true, but it's still the worst reason in the world to agree to make a film.
      Several years ago, Mark Ordesky told us that New Line have rights to make not just The Hobbit but a second "LOTR prequel", covering the events leading up to those depicted in LOTR. Since then, we've always assumed that we would be asked to make The Hobbit and possibly this second film, back to back, as we did the original movies. We assumed that our lawsuit with the studio would come to a natural conclusion and we would then be free to discuss our ideas with the studio, get excited and jump on board. We've assumed that we would possibly get started on development and design next year, whilst filming The Lovely Bones. We even had a meeting planned with MGM executives to talk through our schedule.
      However last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on the Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel'. This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects.
      Ordesky said that New Line has a limited time option on the film rights they have obtained from Saul Zaentz (this has never been conveyed to us before), and because we won't discuss making the movies until the lawsuit is resolved, the studio is going to have to hire another director.
      Given that New Line are committed to this course of action, we felt at the very least, we owed you, the fans, a straightforward account of events as they have unfolded for us.
      We have always had the greatest support from The Ringers and we are very sorry our involvement with The Hobbit has been ended in this way. Our journey into Tolkien's world started with a phone call from Ken Kamins to Harvey Weinstein in Nov 1995 and ended with a phone call from Mark Ordesky to Ken in Nov 2006. It has been a great 11 years.
      This outcome is not what we anticipated or wanted, but neither do we see any positive value in bitterness and rancor. We now have no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go and move forward with other projects.
      We send our very best wishes to whomever has the privilege of making The Hobbit and look forward to seeing the film on the big screen.
      Warmest regards to you all, and thanks for your incredible support over the years.
      We got to go there - but not back again ...
      Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

Vehicles
      '96 GTI 2.0, '00 Golf 1.8T
      11-20-2006 09:41 AM #27
      Wow - that sucks. I won't give up all hope, but am definitely not optimistic at this point....
      Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted
      FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 A3, 2015 Q5
      11-20-2006 09:49 AM #28
      The only thing that is going to save this is if the fans boycott New Line enough and can convince them what a financial disaster this would be to the franchise (read: EASY money with Jackson, failure without). But I think Jackson has a bad taste in his mouth at this point and it sounds like he's done even if New Line gets their act together.

Vehicles
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 2015 Mini Cooper S 4Dr
      11-20-2006 10:30 AM #29

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      11-20-2006 10:49 AM #30
      This just sucks.... What a colossal screw up on New Line's part. Unreal....
      Quote, originally posted by Karma »
      But I think Jackson has a bad taste in his mouth at this point and it sounds like he's done even if New Line gets their act together.

Agreed.

Vehicles
      '11 VW GTI, '16 Golf R (on order)
      11-20-2006 01:47 PM #31
      i hope any actors they try to carry over (ian mckellan, hugo weaving, etc.) all boycott whoever takes over the series
      for every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty,
      many souls must be trampled - hunter s thompson

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Volvo C30
      11-20-2006 08:18 PM #32
      Talk about dropping the ball. New Line is going to look back on this day with deep regret (no doubt after many of its high ups have been fired). [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      3 Volkswagens!
      11-20-2006 09:35 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by Methalius »
      I love the Lord of the Rings as a whole but in my opinion the Hobbit is the greatest book ever written.

[IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      BTW- I assume you've all heard about the new Tolkien book that is due out in 2007 right?

No, tell me about it!
      Vamped Tuning! Scrappy Dubs!

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      11-21-2006 10:10 AM #34
      Quote, originally posted by uv23 »
      Talk about dropping the ball. New Line is going to look back on this day with deep regret (no doubt after many of its high ups have been fired). [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG]

Word. LOTR as a whole has made almost 3 BILLION worldwide.... They are seriously going to squabble about what they actually owe PJ and co.? The Hobbit and the other film would certainly keep on par with the other 3. In essence New Line could have made 5 Billion from this franchise. What fools....
      Quote, originally posted by Vamped »
      No, tell me about it!

It is called The Children of Húrin and it is being released in April of '07. I believe it is going to be kind of like what The Silmarillion was only this is for the history of men. I could be wrong though. Regardless, I'll be getting this...

10. 11-21-2006 02:46 PM #35
      This just sucks.... What a colossal screw up on New Line's part. Unreal....
      Agreed.

I agree. NO ONE could have done the job Jackson did with LOTR series and to turn it over to someone else at this point because you tried to screw the guy out of money is sad. They might as well trash the project altogether.

Vehicles
      '11 VW GTI, '16 Golf R (on order)
      11-21-2006 04:40 PM #36
      i would like to see a Tarrantino version of the Hobbit [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      for every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty,
      many souls must be trampled - hunter s thompson

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      11-21-2006 04:47 PM #37
      "You know what they call a Big Mac in Gondor?"
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 A3, 2015 Q5
      11-21-2006 04:50 PM #38
      "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... stop right there. Eatin' a b!tch's cooking, and shavin' a bitch's foot ain't even the same ****in' thing."
      Best I could do.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 A3, 2015 Q5
      11-21-2006 04:53 PM #39
      "ELVISH, MOTHER****ER!... DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?"

15. 11-21-2006 11:52 PM #40
      Don't really understand the 2 movie idea?It just sounds like a way to wring more money out of the franchise Here is your Bilbo Baggins by the way
      Stephen Rea..

Vehicles
      86 Scirocco 16v, 2010 Golf TDI
      11-24-2006 04:14 AM #41
      No peter jackson
      Build thread
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...y-new-Scirocco
      http://instagram.com/promk1ng Follow me on Instagram @ Promk1ng PLEASE BE MY FRIEND

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 A3, 2015 Q5
      11-24-2006 09:25 AM #42
      All hope is not lost...
      http://slashdot.org/article.pl...25212
      Quote, originally posted by /. »
      "TheOneRing.Net has a new scoop on the ongoing Hobbit Movie saga, sourced from elbenwald.de. Apparently the rights to make the Hobbit film fall back to Saul Zaentz 'next year.' He claims that, under their stewardship, The Hobbit will 'definitely be shot by Peter Jackson.' For the whippersnappers amongst you: Mr. Zaentz is the head honcho of Tolkien Enterprises, which originally acquired exclusive rights to productions of the LOTR and Hobbit material in 1976, prior to overseeing the Bakshi animated version of LOTR."

Basically, New Line has to assemble the movies and start filming BOTH by sometime "next year" or the rights go back to the Tolkien estate who will then hire Jackson to direct the movie(s). Now we know why they were in such a rush to get a director and get started.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 A3, 2015 Q5
      11-24-2006 09:51 AM #43
      Quote, originally posted by TORN »
      Saul Zaentz On The Hobbit
      Demosthenes @ 2:12 am EST
      Saul Zaentz, the owner of Tolkien Enterprises, and ultimate holder of the film rights to The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings was very recently interviewed about the Hobbit and Peter Jackson's involvement.
      The interview has since been posted on German Rings site Elbenwald. You can read the original article here. It's in German, so below is a translation of his comments. The translation comes from Jurgen at TheHobbit-Movie.com.
      Q: What is with the long anticipated Hobbit-adaption?
      A: It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. The question is only when. He wants to shoot another movie first. Next year the Hobbit-rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us in contrast he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation.

19. Banned
      11-24-2006 10:18 PM #44
      Kick @55!

In regards to Mr. Tarantino's version:
      "Does Bombur look like a b!tch?"

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      11-27-2006 09:17 AM #45
      Quote, originally posted by Karma »
      Saul Zaentz On The Hobbit
      Demosthenes @ 2:12 am EST
      Saul Zaentz, the owner of Tolkien Enterprises, and ultimate holder of the film rights to The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings was very recently interviewed about the Hobbit and Peter Jackson's involvement.
      The interview has since been posted on German Rings site Elbenwald. You can read the original article here. It's in German, so below is a translation of his comments. The translation comes from Jurgen at TheHobbit-Movie.com.
      Q: What is with the long anticipated Hobbit-adaption?
      A: It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. The question is only when. He wants to shoot another movie first. Next year the Hobbit-rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us in contrast he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation.

NICE!!!! Too bad for New Line. Now they don't see 2 Billion Dollars....

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      11-27-2006 10:34 AM #46
      So, does that mean Jackson's back in on these movies?
      1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 A3, 2015 Q5
      11-27-2006 10:42 AM #47
      It means that Tolkien Enterprises (TE) owns the movie rights to ALL Tolkien's work, including The Hobbit. TE licensed the rights to New Line through some part of 2007, after that the license expires and the rights fall back to TE to do whatever they want.
      This is why New Line is in such a rush to get the movie(s) going. They know the PJ lawsuit against them won't be cleared up before the license expires and so they are pushing ahead to start filming before they lose the rights.
      Saul Zaentz is the owner of Tolkien Enterprises and obviously wants PJ to have complete control over any movie adaptation of The Hobbit which puts New Line up against a wall in terms of timing and looking at the reality of how successful they can actually make this movie without PJ, McKellan, and a large portion of the crew from the original films.
      I personally think Jackson's public letter was just a piece of the battle with New Line and he is fighting it well. He has all the right people on his side...

Vehicles
      Electric Vespa Clone; Giant FCR3500; Shanghai Metro
      11-27-2006 10:47 AM #48
      Hobbit not directed by PJ = me no spend money on seeing it.
      New Line is being INCREDIBLY short sighted here.
      "Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world."

- Jack Layton, 1950-2011

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      11-27-2006 12:55 PM #49
      Quote, originally posted by The Chemist »
      New Line is being INCREDIBLY short sighted here.

No doubt. Just look at the piece of the pie that they would be in line for from 2 more films with PJ. Roughly 2 Billion dollars. I'd be shocked if New Line would see even half of that if another director and production team is at the helm. The execs at New Line are fools.

Vehicles
      '96 GTI 2.0, '00 Golf 1.8T
      11-27-2006 01:06 PM #50
      Interesting! I wonder what the date is that the rights revert to TE, and what the fine prints of the 'rights' to the movie is like... I mean, it sounds like they just just need to 'get started' filming the movie by a certain date, and I wonder what that means precisely.
      I am sure there are dozens of lawyers (on both sides) looking into exactly that!
      Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted
      FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast