VWVortex

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit Movie Update

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      11-21-2006 04:40 PM #36
      i would like to see a Tarrantino version of the Hobbit
      vwot.org

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught.
      In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity. - Hunter S Thompson

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      11-21-2006 04:47 PM #37
      "You know what they call a Big Mac in Gondor?"
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      11-21-2006 04:50 PM #38
      "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... stop right there. Eatin' a b!tch's cooking, and shavin' a bitch's foot ain't even the same ****in' thing."

Best I could do.

Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      11-21-2006 04:53 PM #39
      "ELVISH, MOTHER****ER!... DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?"

5. 11-21-2006 11:52 PM #40
      Don't really understand the 2 movie idea?It just sounds like a way to wring more money out of the franchise Here is your Bilbo Baggins by the way
      Stephen Rea..

Vehicles
      86 Scirocco 16v, 2010 Golf TDI
      11-24-2006 04:14 AM #41
      No peter jackson

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      11-24-2006 09:25 AM #42
      All hope is not lost...

http://slashdot.org/article.pl...25212

Quote, originally posted by /. »
      "TheOneRing.Net has a new scoop on the ongoing Hobbit Movie saga, sourced from elbenwald.de. Apparently the rights to make the Hobbit film fall back to Saul Zaentz 'next year.' He claims that, under their stewardship, The Hobbit will 'definitely be shot by Peter Jackson.' For the whippersnappers amongst you: Mr. Zaentz is the head honcho of Tolkien Enterprises, which originally acquired exclusive rights to productions of the LOTR and Hobbit material in 1976, prior to overseeing the Bakshi animated version of LOTR."

Basically, New Line has to assemble the movies and start filming BOTH by sometime "next year" or the rights go back to the Tolkien estate who will then hire Jackson to direct the movie(s). Now we know why they were in such a rush to get a director and get started.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      11-24-2006 09:51 AM #43
      Quote, originally posted by TORN »
      Saul Zaentz On The Hobbit
      Demosthenes @ 2:12 am EST

Saul Zaentz, the owner of Tolkien Enterprises, and ultimate holder of the film rights to The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings was very recently interviewed about the Hobbit and Peter Jackson's involvement.

The interview has since been posted on German Rings site Elbenwald. You can read the original article here. It's in German, so below is a translation of his comments. The translation comes from Jurgen at TheHobbit-Movie.com.

Q: What is with the long anticipated Hobbit-adaption?

A: It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. The question is only when. He wants to shoot another movie first. Next year the Hobbit-rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us in contrast he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation.

9. Banned
      11-24-2006 10:18 PM #44
      Kick @55!

In regards to Mr. Tarantino's version:

"Does Bombur look like a b!tch?"

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      11-27-2006 09:17 AM #45
      Quote, originally posted by Karma »
      Saul Zaentz On The Hobbit
      Demosthenes @ 2:12 am EST
      Saul Zaentz, the owner of Tolkien Enterprises, and ultimate holder of the film rights to The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings was very recently interviewed about the Hobbit and Peter Jackson's involvement.

The interview has since been posted on German Rings site Elbenwald. You can read the original article here. It's in German, so below is a translation of his comments. The translation comes from Jurgen at TheHobbit-Movie.com.

Q: What is with the long anticipated Hobbit-adaption?

A: It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. The question is only when. He wants to shoot another movie first. Next year the Hobbit-rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us in contrast he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation.

NICE!!!! Too bad for New Line. Now they don't see 2 Billion Dollars....

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      11-27-2006 10:34 AM #46
      So, does that mean Jackson's back in on these movies?
      1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      11-27-2006 10:42 AM #47
      It means that Tolkien Enterprises (TE) owns the movie rights to ALL Tolkien's work, including The Hobbit. TE licensed the rights to New Line through some part of 2007, after that the license expires and the rights fall back to TE to do whatever they want.

This is why New Line is in such a rush to get the movie(s) going. They know the PJ lawsuit against them won't be cleared up before the license expires and so they are pushing ahead to start filming before they lose the rights.

Saul Zaentz is the owner of Tolkien Enterprises and obviously wants PJ to have complete control over any movie adaptation of The Hobbit which puts New Line up against a wall in terms of timing and looking at the reality of how successful they can actually make this movie without PJ, McKellan, and a large portion of the crew from the original films.

I personally think Jackson's public letter was just a piece of the battle with New Line and he is fighting it well. He has all the right people on his side...

Vehicles
      Electric Vespa Clone; Giant FCR3500; Shanghai Metro
      11-27-2006 10:47 AM #48
      Hobbit not directed by PJ = me no spend money on seeing it.

New Line is being INCREDIBLY short sighted here.

"Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world."

- Jack Layton, 1950-2011

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      11-27-2006 12:55 PM #49
      Quote, originally posted by The Chemist »
      New Line is being INCREDIBLY short sighted here.

No doubt. Just look at the piece of the pie that they would be in line for from 2 more films with PJ. Roughly 2 Billion dollars. I'd be shocked if New Line would see even half of that if another director and production team is at the helm. The execs at New Line are fools.

Vehicles
      '96 GTI 2.0, '00 Golf 1.8T
      11-27-2006 01:06 PM #50
      Interesting! I wonder what the date is that the rights revert to TE, and what the fine prints of the 'rights' to the movie is like... I mean, it sounds like they just just need to 'get started' filming the movie by a certain date, and I wonder what that means precisely.

I am sure there are dozens of lawyers (on both sides) looking into exactly that!

Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted
      FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      04-17-2007 08:34 AM #51
      Quote »
      Spider-Man 4 is beginning to look a little shaky - director Sam Raimi is looking to tackle literary epic The Hobbit. The moviemaker, who is the brains behind all three Spider-Man movies, has revealed he's in the running to replace Peter Jackson as the director of the Lord Of The Rings prequel. And, if he does head to Middle Earth, actress Kirsten Dunst insists she definitely won't be back for a fourth Spider-Man. In an exclusive interview with EW.com, Raimi says, "Peter Jackson might be the best filmmaker on the planet right now... First and foremost, those (Lord of The Rings films) are Peter Jackson and (New Line studio boss) Bob Shaye's films. If Peter didn't want to do it, and Bob wanted me to do it - and they were both OK with me picking up the reigns - that would be great. I love the book. It's maybe a more kid-friendly story than the others." Dunst, who was in Tokyo, Japan last night for the Spider-Man 3 world premiere, insists she can't imagine returning for a fourth film without Raimi. She explains, "It's disrespectful to the whole team, I think, to do that. And audiences aren't stupid. It'd be a big flop without me, Tobey Maguire or Sam. That would really not be the smartest move."

17. 04-17-2007 11:17 AM #52
      i'd like to see what he can do w/ the material

18. 04-17-2007 12:28 PM #53
      [threadjack]
      LOL @ Kirsten Dunst thinking that Spider-man movies would be a flop without her.

I'd care more if they replaced the actress that plays Aunt Mae.

[/threadjack]

Here's hoping Peter Jackson makes the Hobbit.

19. 04-17-2007 01:18 PM #54
      Quote, originally posted by osiris »

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      04-17-2007 02:41 PM #55
      [threadjack]
      LOL @ Kirsten Dunst thinking that Spider-man movies would be a flop without her.

I'd care more if they replaced the actress that plays Aunt Mae.

[/threadjack]

Agreed.

Agreed again. I've really enjoyed the Spiderman series but I just don't see anyone capturing the Hobbit like Jackson would.

21. 04-17-2007 06:38 PM #56
      I think you misunderstood what she was saying. I think she was saying it would be a flop if all the people she mentioned didn't participate in the movie, which they wouldn't if Raimi wasn't directing.

Back on track with the Hobbit. I can't wait to see the scene when Bilbo fights all the giant spiders

04-17-2007 07:06 PM #57
      I want to see how they portray Smaug.

23. 04-17-2007 07:07 PM #58
      She said it would be a big flop "without me, Tobey, or Sam..." The word "or" makes it seem like if any of them left it would be a flop. If she meant all of them, she should have used "and".

Then again, I suppose it is just as ridiculous for me to expect that she would know the difference.

24. 04-17-2007 07:33 PM #59
      Quote, originally posted by Code-7 »
      I want to see how they portray Smaug.

smaug is da sh!+! wow but if they're breaking up the hobit into two movies then we might not see smaug in action til part 2

Modified by rusty knight at 4:35 PM 4-17-2007

Vehicles
      00 golf
      04-17-2007 07:37 PM #60
      well on the plus side of sam raimi doing The Hobbit, at least we'd get some serious camera fist action along with the one and only mr. ted raimi as cool as that would be, i think i would rather see a spiderman 4 done right and see the hobbit sticking with jackson. sigh, we need an alternate dimension sometimes

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      12-18-2007 11:45 AM #61
      Quote »
      NEW YORK - Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema have reached agreement to make J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," a planned prequel to the blockbuster trilogy "The Lord of the Rings."

Jackson, who directed the "Rings" trilogy, will serve as executive producer for "The Hobbit." A director for the prequel films has yet to be named.

Relations between Jackson and New Line had soured after "Rings," despite a collective worldwide box office gross of nearly $3 billion — an enormous success. The two sides nevertheless were able to reconcile, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) splitting "The Hobbit" 50/50, spokemen for both studios said Tuesday.

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said in a statement. "We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth."

Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made. Production is set to begin in 2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011 release.

New Line Cinema is owned by Time Warner. Sony and Comcast are among the owners of MGM.

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      12-18-2007 11:50 AM #62
      Quote, originally posted by »
      This is just pure speculation, but Sam Raimi has been saying for a while now that if Peter Jackson decides to produce The Hobbit for New Line instead of direct it, that Raimi hoped he would get a chance to take the director's chair.

Well, the big news has finally hit this morning -- Peter Jackson will produce (not direct) The Hobbit and a sequel to The Hobbit. Full details can be found here.

If Raimi decides to helm "The Hobbit" films instead, we would assume he would still be involved with the Spidey franchise in some capacity, probably as an executive producer.

Again, this is just speculation and nothing is certain.

Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      12-18-2007 11:52 AM #63
      OH HELL YEAH

Great news

vwot.org

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught.
      In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity. - Hunter S Thompson

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      12-18-2007 11:57 AM #64
      Quote »
      NEW YORK - Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema have reached agreement to make J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," a planned prequel to the blockbuster trilogy "The Lord of the Rings."

Jackson, who directed "Rings," will serve as executive producer for "The Hobbit." A director for the prequel films has yet to be named.

Relations between Jackson and New Line had soured after "Rings," despite a collective worldwide box office gross of nearly $3 billion — an enormous success. The two sides nevertheless were able to reconcile, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) splitting "The Hobbit" 50/50, spokesmen for both studios said Tuesday.

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said in a statement. "We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth."

Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made. Production is set to begin in 2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011 release.

Late last year, acrimony between Jackson and New Line became very public, with the studio announcing they would move forward with "The Hobbit" without the Academy Award-winning director. Jackson sued New Line over the amount he was paid for "The Fellowship of the Ring," the first installment of the trilogy.

That litigation, the two sides announced Tuesday, has been settled.

Jackson, who shepherded Tolkien's Middle-earth saga to the screen in a series of three films, won a best-director Oscar for 2003's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King." The trilogy also includes 2002's "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" and 2001's "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring."

New Line, which is owned by Time Warner Inc., holds the rights to produce "The Hobbit," while MGM, which is owned by a consortium including Sony Corp. and Comcast Corp., has the right to distribute it.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      12-18-2007 12:05 PM #65
      Quote, originally posted by Methalius »

I love the Lord of the Rings as a whole but in my opinion the Hobbit is the greatest book ever written.

Agreed

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

XBL - urparanoid

Vehicles
      '96 GTI 2.0, '00 Golf 1.8T
      12-18-2007 12:37 PM #66
      That's fantastic news that they worked things out with Jackson!
      Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted
      FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

Vehicles
      1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG | 2011 Ducati Streetfighter S
      12-18-2007 12:54 PM #67
      Damn good news!

33. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      12-18-2007 01:03 PM #68
      Very good news, but it still means a new director.

I'm no longer worried they will ruin the franchise by doing it without some oversight from Jackson but not 100% sold that they can match the greatness of the LOTR trilogy.

But being the greedy bastard that I am, I am PSYCHED they are doing 2 movies even if the source material will need to be stretched to make it happen.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      12-18-2007 02:11 PM #69
      Very good news, but it still means a new director.

I actually will not be shocked if he puts himself in the directors chair.

I'm no longer worried they will ruin the franchise by doing it without some oversight from Jackson but not 100% sold that they can match the greatness of the LOTR trilogy.

Yeah, I don't see how it can be matched to be honest. I love the Hobbit but LOTR is a special piece of film. As long as whoever does it puts their heart and soul into it I could see it being an amazing film in it's own right. As long as whoever directs the movie is a fan of the book I think it will be a great film. I for one would love to see the Stone Giants throwing rocks at each other for sport.

But being the greedy bastard that I am, I am PSYCHED they are doing 2 movies even if the source material will need to be stretched to make it happen.

Agreed. I was talking with one of my best friends the other day and we both missed a LOTR coming out every year around this time. Now the wait is only 3 more years!!!!

There actually is a good amount of creative liberty to be taken at Rivendell or with Bilbo in Gollum's cave. I have NO doubt that Beorn gets the boot though.

Now that I think about it a little more I actually could see these each being 3 hours and not having to stretch the source material at all.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      12-18-2007 02:17 PM #70
      I hope Jackson directs, but we'll have to see.

It's almost 4 years to the day since ROTK came out and will be 7 years by the time this first movie comes out. Talk about dragging your feet on a moneymaker.

The press release says the first movie will be based on The Hobbit and the second movie will be based on material from Tolkien's notes to bridge the first movie with the LOTR trilogy.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast