Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit Movie Update

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      01-30-2008 12:05 PM #106
      Quote, originally posted by Karma »
      Well Del Toro is also a huge fan of the source material as well as Jackson's take on the world of Middle Earth. He said he'd only want to expand on it if he directs the Hobbit movies.

If that's true, I'm happy to hear it. I believe a movie like the Hobbit has to be a labor of love. I believe that is a big reason as to why Jackson was as successful as he was with the Lord of the Rings. He was a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings and it was his dream to direct it.

I'm just saying I don't think it was really possible to judge the outcome of the LOTR films based on Jackson's prior work - he was basically a B movie horror director. Tolkien fans were OUTRAGED when he originally signed on. They were all proven wrong but the guy's earlier movies are medicore at best (King Kong wasn't much to write home about either, IMO).

I'm sorry but Tolkien fans were far from outraged when Jackson picked the project to work on. I remember being on a couple of Tolkien sites and everyone seemed to be estatic that anything was being done with the Lord of the Rings.

I agree looking back that Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles are pretty much crap but I enjoyed his directing style. It is pretty unique and he had a vision. Kong does suck though. That's more because of the endless and silly effect shots though.

We'll see how insane I am in my prediction in 2010 then I suppose

Who said you were insane?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      01-30-2008 12:31 PM #107
      Quote, originally posted by Methalius »
      If that's true, I'm happy to hear it. I believe a movie like the Hobbit has to be a labor of love. I believe that is a big reason as to why Jackson was as successful as he was with the Lord of the Rings. He was a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings and it was his dream to direct it.

Quote, originally posted by AICN »
      Guillermo Del Toro To Direct Back-To-Back Features from THE HOBBIT!?!?!

Hey folks, Harry here... In the geek community for quite some time, the rumor has been that Guillermo Del Toro was going to be directing THE HOBBIT. The day that the announcement came that Peter Jackson was playing nice with New Line - and that Weta was going to be handling the fx - and everyone was a happy family again... I was talking to Guillermo about some personal issues (the Lapband operation, Guillermo had one quite a while back, and has been encouraging me to take that step. Which I am) - and during that conversation - he suddenly brought up THE HOBBIT and how he wanted to direct it and how he thought it was going to happen.

Well now - the trades are reporting on it. I saw the story up this morning on Hollywood Reporter's Story - the writing on this project has not been OFFICIALLY decided yet, due to the Writer's strike, but apparently Jackson and Guillermo will oversee the script's creation.

They're saying $150 million per film... and I just wonder... is Ron Perlman going to be the voice of Smaug? And will Gollum suddenly become a man in a costume via Doug Jones? (of course not, Andy Serkis will be back)
      But you KNOW that Doug Jones is gonna be something awesome in this.

When Guillermo and I talked about it, he spoke very heartfelt about how he had to adhere to what Peter had already established - but how he couldn't wait to expand that universe with the environments, creatures and most especially Smaug. I'm giddy.

I'm sorry but Tolkien fans were far from outraged when Jackson picked the project to work on. I remember being on a couple of Tolkien sites and everyone seemed to be estatic that anything was being done with the Lord of the Rings.

I agree looking back that Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles are pretty much crap but I enjoyed his directing style. It is pretty unique and he had a vision. Kong does suck though. That's more because of the endless and silly effect shots though.

Who said you were insane?

Fans were excited that something was being done but I remember articles from TORN where fans were not excited about a nobody like Jackson handling such a huge task, with a massive budget, and no experience in filmaking of that caliber. Not that people hated him, they just didn't think he could do the material justice. They were wrong!

King Kong was just too damn long and bloated. Hopefully Jackson learned his lesson that longer != better with The Lovely Bones and now The Hobbit.

No one, but I didn't say you were insane either when you used that word earlier. You had faith in Jackson with LOTR and I have faith with Del Toro with The Hobbit

Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      01-30-2008 01:10 PM #108
      Fans were excited that something was being done but I remember articles from TORN where fans were not excited about a nobody like Jackson handling such a huge task, with a massive budget, and no experience in filmaking of that caliber. Not that people hated him, they just didn't think he could do the material justice. They were wrong!

Perhaps those just stuck out to you because I remember most people just being excited about seeing the Lord of the Rings on the big screen. I remember when people started seeing the first spyshots that people were freaking out and calling it the greatest thing they had ever seen.

No one, but I didn't say you were insane either when you used that word earlier. You had faith in Jackson with LOTR and I have faith with Del Toro with The Hobbit

Screwy=insane to me.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      01-30-2008 01:13 PM #109
      Screwy=insane to me.

I wouldn't go THAT far it's just a smilie haha

Friendly bet says you'll be like a pig in **** after seeing the first Hobbit movie and waiting for the second. Let's both hope I'm right!

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      01-30-2008 03:21 PM #110

I wouldn't go THAT far it's just a smilie haha

Friendly bet says you'll be like a pig in **** after seeing the first Hobbit movie and waiting for the second. Let's both hope I'm right!

Absolutely!

I want to love the Hobbit, just like I wanted to love the Lord of the Rings. I was not disappointed in the Lord of the Rings. I'm just a little concerned since I am not a big fan of Del Toro's. At least it's not Bret Ratner or Michael Bay.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      01-30-2008 03:34 PM #111
      Okay, now that we have the director covered who do we all see as the performers?

Obviously Andy Serkis will be Gollum.

Ian McKellen has to be Gandalf. I know he is even older now but Gandalf was old even in the Hobbit.

Who plays Bilbo? Elijah Wood? I would have loved to have seen Ian Holm but he is just way too old to pull it off now. I'd actually like to see a new actor play Bilbo. Whoever it is though needs to capture the spirit of Bilbo because that is imperative in the role.

I'm pumped. 2010 can't get here quick enough. I hope those friggin' writers have enjoyed their vacation and get back to work soon.

Modified by Methalius at 3:36 PM 1-30-2008

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      01-30-2008 03:52 PM #112
      Andy Serkis and Ian McKellan are almost guaranteed - both have said they will clear their schedules to come back. McKellan ages well and he's a wizard - they are fine there.

Elijah Wood wants to come back, even if for a cameo but I don't see him as Bilbo, nor should he play him since in the LOTR world he's already Frodo.

Ian Holm is definitely too old - he needs to look the same exact age as in the opening sequence of FOTR. That stuff was filmed over 10 years ago now and the guy is quickly approaching 80.

Having 13 dwarves running around the screen for 2 movies is gonna be a bit weird for me. I want to see how they are gonna manage that and the fact that Gandalf is gone damn near the whole movie.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      01-31-2008 09:53 AM #113
      Elijah Wood wants to come back, even if for a cameo but I don't see him as Bilbo, nor should he play him since in the LOTR world he's already Frodo.

I hear that. I wouldn't be apposed to him playing as Bilbo though. I also wouldn't mind seeing someone new.

Ian Holm is definitely too old - he needs to look the same exact age as in the opening sequence of FOTR. That stuff was filmed over 10 years ago now and the guy is quickly approaching 80.

10 years.... Whoa..... This just blows my mind.

Having 13 dwarves running around the screen for 2 movies is gonna be a bit weird for me. I want to see how they are gonna manage that and the fact that Gandalf is gone damn near the whole movie.

Gandalf will should be around for most of the 1st half of the film and obviously he should be back for the end of the film. I would imagine that like the Animated film of the Hobbit that Beorn will be cut from the film.

Actually the Dwarves should be awesome. I love that part of the prologue for the Fellowship when the 7 Dwarves raise their rings. I thought it looked awesome.

I just hope that Bilbo's reluctant nature comes out well but is not overdone that he is a whiny baby about being forced to go on the adventure.

The more I think about it the more I am hoping that the story gets cut into 2 parts. I don't believe the Hobbit alone can fit into one film unless it was like 7 hours long.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      04-20-2008 10:00 AM #114
      http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080420b.php

Quote »
      Writer/director Guillermo del Toro ("Pan's Labyrinth") tells Coming Soon that "we'll know in four or five days whether all the legal stuff on The Hobbit and its sequel has been worked out and if he'll be moving ahead".

Del Toro has long been attached as the top candidate to helm the next two films in the "Lord of the Rings" franchise but nothing official has been signed yet.

Vehicles
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      04-20-2008 11:40 AM #115
      They better hurry up and make this film now. For all we know the Mayan's calendar could be right, and i want to get this one in before the lock
      Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon

11. 04-24-2008 09:16 PM #116
      It's officially happening! Guillermo del Toro to direct 'Hobbit'
      Filmmaker signs on helm feature and sequel

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36520

http://www.variety.com/VR1117984595.html

04-24-2008 11:27 PM #117
      Oh happy day.
      XBL: Skip Fourplay

GO SHARKS!!!

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      04-25-2008 08:19 AM #118
      Quote, originally posted by JosephTheRed »
      It's officially happening! Guillermo del Toro to direct 'Hobbit'
      Filmmaker signs on helm feature and sequel

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36520

http://www.variety.com/VR1117984595.html

AWESOME!!

Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      04-25-2008 08:21 AM #119
      I'm going to be SO ****ing old when these movies come out. I'm gonna have to find children on the street to bring in with me

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      04-25-2008 08:37 AM #120
      I'm going to be SO ****ing old when these movies come out.

Bite me. I'm going to be in my 40's.....

While I'm not thrilled with the director at least someone has signed on to do this already. I'm hoping that PJ really is involved in these.

Fat boy Del Toro better not screw these films up.

Vehicles
      2002 Elantra GT | 2005 Odyssey Touring
      04-25-2008 03:51 PM #121
      Man the variety article said releases of 2011 and 2012...that's so far away!
      Go Timbers! Timbers Army - RCTID!
      Go Ducks! WTD!
      COYS!
      Go Blazers! RIP CITY!
      Go tOSU!

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      04-28-2008 07:13 AM #122
      http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080428j.php

Quote »
      In an exclusive interview with TheOneRing.net, director Guillermo del Toro talks about his plans for the upcoming film version of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit".

Prep on "The Hobbit" will kick off this Summer, including the 'reforestation' of The Shire sets to look as much like they did in 'Rings' as possible.

He's already been in contact with the likes of Andy Serkis, Sir Ian McKellen, Howard Shore, John Howe, Gino Acevedo, and Richard Taylor in regards to the film to "ensure that whatever we do we keep continuity with the other films".

del Toro proudly says that he'll use as much practical filming as possible - "I would like to avoid is the recreation of the natural environments in CG, I don't like doing that. The movie is essentially a journey movie, I think you need to use locations as much as possible."

He's also very vehement about the second film, which details events between "The Hobbit" and "The Fellowship of the Ring", will not be an opportunistic grab - "This second film is not a 'tag on', it's not 'filler', it's an integral part of telling the story of those 50 years of history lost in the narrative. There will be certain things that we will see from the first movie but from a different point of view, but it will feel like a volume, in the five volumes of the entire story."

18. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      04-28-2008 07:14 AM #123
      Full interview:

http://www.theonering.net/torw...films/

Quote »
      In an exclusive interview with TheOneRing.net, Guillermo del Toro talks about Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Howard Shore, Animatronics vs CGI, the ‘tone’ of the upcoming ‘Hobbit’ films and much more!

We had the opportunity to chat with Guillermo del Toro this morning from his current HQ in London. He’s hard at work putting the finishing touches on ‘Hellboy II: The Golden Army’ and taking interviews from news outlets about that film, and the recent announcement that he’ll be doing ‘The Hobbit’ and a subsequent Hobbit sequel down the line.

First things first, YES, that is him on our message boards, he told me he intends to post there as often as he humanly can. And yes, he is as cool and approachable as he sounds. Take a look at my interview!

How did this whole process get started?

GDT: I met Peter (Jackson) a long time ago when we were planning on doing ‘Halo’ together, I really love how they have that setup in New Zealand, I call it ‘Hollywood the way God intended it’. New Zealand has all the technical advantages when doing a big movie and you are shooting it in paradise, both in terms of artistic freedom and commitment.

When ‘Halo’ didn’t happen, Peter and I stayed in contact on a regular basis, and last winter I started getting inklings that ‘The Hobbit’ may come this way, mainly from the studio. The first thing I said was that I would only be interested if Peter was involved and the (New Line Lawsuit) problem gets resolved. When that issue was resolved I got a call from Peter and we chatted, and it started from then, it was my Christmas gift!

Fans are all abuzz about ‘The Second Film’, can you tell some of your plans for it?

GDT: You know, I traveled to New Zealand just a little while ago, and one of the main reasons for going was to sit down and talk about the second film. ‘The Hobbit’, the book, is really one self-contained film, so for the second movie we sat down and worked it out. When we did this we got really excited because this second film is not a ‘tag on’, it’s not ‘filler’, it’s an integral part of telling the story of those 50 years of history lost in the narrative. There will be certain things that we will see from the first movie but from a different point of view, but it will feel like a volume, in the 5 volumes of the entire story. It will not feel like a bridge, I’ve been hearing it called ‘a bridge film’, it’s not, it’s an integral chapter of the story, and I think we’re all on the same page.

You will be moving down to New Zealand for 4 years, is that right?

GDT: Approximately, my whole family, but the first stages of design and R&D will be done with me going back and fourth from LA and New Zealand because there are a lot of things I need to put to bed before I finally move to New Zealand. I’m going much sooner than my relatives would like!

We will officially be doing a lot of prep on ‘The Hobbit’ this summer, there is so much to do, its amazing. Just the reforestation of The Shire, re planting all those trees and plants will take months, and we’re going to be as exact as possible.

Films like ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ used a few studio sets to simulate outdoors, will you be doing the same for ‘The Hobbit’ or will you be making use of New Zealand’s wilderness like Peter did?

GDT: I think green screen photography is exactly like CGI, it is a tool, I don’t think it should be overused. Things like ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ and ‘The Devil’s Backbone’ are incredibly dependent on location, we shot on location for more than half the time. Those locations can be enhanced by technology however, both digital and physical. What I would like to avoid is the recreation of the natural environments in CG, I don’t like doing that. The movie is essentially a journey movie, I think you need to use locations as much as possible.

You’ll be using WETA Digital for the effects?

GDT: Yes, the essential elements for keeping continuity are on track, in the last few weeks I’ve been chatting with a ton of people via email, phone, and in person from the previous films. People like Andy Serkis, Sir Ian McKellen, Howard Shore, John Howe, Gino Acevedo, Richard Taylor next week I’m meeting Alan Lee. I’m doing this to ensure that whatever we do we keep continuity with the other films, yes it’s a world that is slightly more golden at the beginning, a very innocent environment.

What I’m trying to do is keep the elements in place but allow you to feel a progression from ‘The Hobbit’ until ‘The Return of the King’. I believe ‘The Hobbit’ is a very crucial volume in The Lord of the Rings, it is a narrative that starts out very much in an innocent and golden way. It is permeated from England going through World War One, so there is a loss of innocence and a darker tone as the book and the film progresses. We’ll be doing that in the first film, taking you from a time of more purity to a darker reality throughout the film, but I think that is in the spirit of the book. All these guys, Alan Lee, John Howe, these guys are integral for us to map out that progress in the two movies, and allow you to completely blend in to the universe that is already in place. But this will be a progression, it should not feel at the start of the film that this is the same time (as the beginning of ‘Fellowship’). 50 years in Shire time, is not the same as 50 years in human time, if you think about how our world has changed in only 7 or 8 years, you can think of it as decades of turmoil, those 50 years in Middle-earth.

Do you have any roles cast?

GDT: Well, I had the most charming meeting with Sir Ian, and all bureaucracy pending, he’s on board, as is Andy Serkis. We will continue giving you progress reports as the occur. It is our intention that we will not lose any of the key elements.

What will differ from your films versus Peter’s?

The only thing I will be pushing for more in these films that the other three are full animatronics and animatronic creatures enhanced with CGI, as opposed to CGI creatures themselves. We really want to take the state-of-the-art animatronics and take a leap ten years into the future with the technology we will develop for the creatures in the movie. We have every intention to do for animatronics and special effects what the other films did for virtual reality.

Another thing people will notice, at the beginning of the film will be the palette, that will be slightly different, the world will be the same but it will be a more ‘golden’ world, a more wide-eyed world. But by no means will we depart from the canon, we will take the three previous films as canon. When I become part of a world that I love, such as this, I really come with a lot of enthusiasm and hard work, and we know we are recreating and creating a world that is part of the mythos of millions of people and we will approach it as passionately and respectfully as it needs to be taken.

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      04-28-2008 12:16 PM #124
      So this is going to happen again???
      1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

20. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      04-28-2008 12:19 PM #125
      What, the movie(s)?

Yeah it's been official since during the writer's strike. They just signed Del Toro and he's moving to New Zealand for 4 years to make the movies with Jackson's guidance.

No word on who's writing the script but Jackson gets final approval since he's the Executive Producer.

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      04-28-2008 12:20 PM #126
      I dont know how I missed this... but that is awesome freakin news.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

22. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      04-28-2008 12:23 PM #127
      Indeed it is

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      04-28-2008 02:44 PM #128
      This is great f'ing news
      vwot.org

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught.
      In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity. - Hunter S Thompson

Vehicles
      1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG | 2014 Porsche Cayman
      04-28-2008 07:53 PM #129
      Good interview. I was initially really skeptical about having another director take this on, but after seeing Pan's Labyrinth, it's obvious that del Toro has greatly matured since his first films. Sounds like he'll be respectful to LOTR trilogy in terms of style as well.

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      04-30-2008 01:53 PM #130
      Ian McKlellen will be back as Gandalf:

Quote, originally posted by Superherohype »
      Director Guillermo del Toro mentioned a few days ago that he had had a meeting with Sir Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis for them to reprise their roles in The Hobbit and its sequel as Gandalf and Gollum/Smeagol, respectively. Now we get to hear McKellen's side.

"Yes, it's true," McKellen told Empire Online at the UK Speed Racer premiere. "I spoke to Guillermo in the very room that Peter Jackson offered me the part and he confirmed that I would be reprising the role. Obviously, it's not a part that you turn down, I loved playing Gandalf."

He added that "Guillermo will be getting around to starting the script in about six weeks when he's finished filming Hellboy II."

Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

26. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      04-30-2008 01:58 PM #131
      We knew that but I want to hear proof of signings for the guys coming back.

This scares me:

Quote »
      He added that "Guillermo will be getting around to starting the script in about six weeks when he's finished filming Hellboy II."

27. 04-30-2008 05:34 PM #132
      some exciting news!!

Vehicles
      3 Volkswagens!
      05-01-2008 12:33 AM #133
      Its great they got Del Toro, Pan's Labyrinth was a great flick, Hellboy 2 smells/looks too much like Del Toro's work........hope it doesnt happen with the "Hobbit"!
      Vamped Tuning! Scrappy Dubs!

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      05-01-2008 09:03 AM #134
      Quote, originally posted by Superherohype »

Um..... What? Am I reading this right?????

Oh God!!!!

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      05-01-2008 10:50 AM #135
      Hellboy sucks

31. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      05-01-2008 10:57 AM #136
      Yeah but so did Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles.

Have hope!

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      05-01-2008 11:07 AM #137
      Hellboy wasn't too bad. it probably would've been better if I were a fan and knew anything about the comics.

Hellboy II looks pretty good, though.

And as someone already pointed out, Pan's Labyrinth and The Orphanage were awesome!

Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

05-01-2008 11:22 AM #138
      This whole time I was reading this thread I was thinking Benicio Del Toro, lol.

Modified by seoulstice at 8:24 AM 5-1-2008

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      05-01-2008 12:29 PM #139
      Yeah but so did Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles.

You keep saying this but neither film were produced by a major film company. Peter Jackson wrote, produced, filmed, directed and financed Bad Taste and Feebles completely by himself. To me it's comparing apples and oranges. Bad Taste and Feebles combined didn't even have 1/100th of the budget that Del Toro did with Hellboy.

Let's compare Bad Taste and Feebles to one of Del Toro's student films which is what you should compare Bad Taste and Feebles to as that is what they really were. A young good director learning how to be a great director. Even with Bad Taste and Feebles you could see how amazing a director Peter Jackson could be.

Since our discussion previously, I gave Pan's Labyrinth another shot. You know what, once I actually gave it a shot and overcame my issue with it being a foreign language film I actually thought it was decent. Some of the visuals were pretty cool and the story didn't completely blow.

Hellboy is an average Saturday popcorn flick. Of course I think Ron Perlman blows and Selma Blair can barely act so I don't think it was intended to be much more than that.

My concern now is with Del Toro writing the Hobbit. I wasn't even entirely satisfied by Peter Jackson and he is someone that I was a fan of for years. I'm hoping that Del Toro takes very few creative liberty's as possible with the first film. While I understand that there will be changes I'd prefer for them to be as subtle as possible.

If a love interest is created for Bilbo I am going to go postal.....

35. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      05-01-2008 01:11 PM #140
      Ok, well I though The Frighteners was pretty crappy too and that was a major release. Coolish idea, good effects, but just not a great flick. My point is that he became a great director with the right source material and motivation. I think Del Toro can do the same, especially since there is no way Jackson and Walsh are blessing a sh*tty script that deviates at all from the source material of the Hobbit and the LOTR Appendicies.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast