Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit Movie Update

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      05-01-2008 02:36 PM #141
      Not directly related to this film, but in the vein of Jackson's work. Is he getting a bit Kubrick-ish on us?

Quote »
      Flicks.Co.Nz reports that Peter Jackson's "The Lovely Bones" has ceased filming due to a rift between Jackson and his art director over the best way to depict Heaven.

A large portion of film takes place in that mythological/spiritual realm where the main character Susie Salmon looks down on her family after her murder.

The Wellington crew are said to be having a break while the creative differences are sorted. The project has undergone some visible arguments before, notably Ryan Gosling being replaced by Mark Wahlberg several days before filming began at Jackson's behest.

In related news, Susan Sarandon talked about her experience playing the comical alcoholic grandmother in the film with Empire this week. Whilst she praised Jackson, she seems more reluctant about her performance - "I'm really curious to see what it's like because he kept pushing me to be more and more extreme and sometimes that's when you make your big mistakes so I'm not sure how it will come off - it will be interesting to see it from the point of view of the audience"

Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      05-01-2008 03:09 PM #142
      Quote, originally posted by Karma »
      Not directly related to this film, but in the vein of Jackson's work. Is he getting a bit Kubrick-ish on us?

That is interesting.

Of course I never pay attention to what that Moonbat Susan Sarandon has to say seriously.

I've always heard that Jackson is a great guy to work for.

05-02-2008 11:47 AM #143
      Hopefully this isnt a repost:

Report: McKellen to reprise Gandalf role
      Wednesday April 30 3:16 PM ET

Ian McKellen will again take up the robes of Gandalf the Wizard in the cinematic adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy classic "The Hobbit," a British film magazine reported Wednesday.

But McKellen's publicist warned that final arrangements were yet to be made.

"Of course he wants to do it, but nothing's been agreed or signed," Clair Dobbs said.

Empire magazine's Web site quoted McKellen as saying that director Guillermo del Toro told him he would again be playing the white-haired wizard.

"He confirmed that I would be reprising the role," the magazine quoted McKellen as saying. "Obviously, it's not a part that you turn down, I loved playing Gandalf."

McKellen's sonorous interpretation of Gandalf in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy delighted fans and critics, earning him an Academy Award nomination for best supporting actor.

The 68-year-old British actor previously told The Associated Press that he would hate to see anyone else play the role.

The "Lord of the Rings" movies, based on the Tolkien book series of the same name, were extremely lucrative, grossing some $2.8 billion at theaters worldwide.

"The Hobbit" is being produced by Peter Jackson, the director of the "Rings" movies, and is likely to be filmed in his home country of New Zealand next year.

Oh, Hai IG: @bethisloco

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      05-05-2008 11:12 AM #144
      Repost!
      1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

05-05-2008 12:11 PM #145
      hehe my baad
      Oh, Hai IG: @bethisloco

6. 05-21-2008 08:53 AM #146
      Quote, originally posted by Variety »
      Pre-production is about to get under way on the two-part "Hobbit." Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are expected to pen the scripts under the direction of Peter Jackson and del Toro. Preliminary contact has already been made with at least three actors whose "Lord of the Rings" characters also appear in the "Hobbit" storyline: Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), Ian McKellen (Gandalf) and Andy Serkis (Gollum).

"We will all be involved in the script in some fashion but the exact definition is about a week away, " said del Toro. "I am all for keeping the actors who originated the parts, as much as availability and their willingness will allow."

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      05-21-2008 09:40 AM #147
      Getting Vigo and Ian is awesome.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      05-21-2008 09:51 AM #148
      I guess Aragorn's character will come into play in the 2nd movie? He damn sure ain't in the Hobbit.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      05-21-2008 09:54 AM #149
      Quote »
      And, while The Hobbit isn't scheduled to be released until sometime in 2011, Hobbit fever is already spreading like wildfire, with Jackson and Del Toro scheduled to host an hour-long web chat to field fan questions about the movies on Saturday the 24th. (You can register for the chat here.)

http://www.wetanz.com/party/register/

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      05-21-2008 09:55 AM #150
      I guess Aragorn's character will come into play in the 2nd movie? He damn sure ain't in the Hobbit.

I was wondering that too. Maybe some sort of bridge between the hobbit and LOTR.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      05-21-2008 09:57 AM #151
      http://www.thedeadbolt.com/fea...e.php

Quote »
      The Seven Things That Any Good Hobbit Adaptation Must Have:

1. It has to be funny.

Sure, J.R.R. Tolkien was no Jim J. Bullock or Carlos Mencia (please note the sarcasm, Tolk-heads), but The Hobbit is a surprisingly funny book. The text is filled with slapstick, verbal puns, and wacky moments (the introduction of Thorin's dwarf gang and the ensuing breakfast debacle at Bilbo's house, for one) that you probably wouldn't expect after watching Peter Jackson's earnestly stoic Lord of the Rings trilogy. Let's be honest, while we all love the LOTR movies, humor isn't exactly their forte. In fact, aside from some anachronistic dwarf-tossing humor and Legolas and Gimli's running death toll, there's barely a chuckle in the whole trilogy. So, we're a bit nervous that, in an attempt to make The Hobbit fit in stylistically, that all the good-natured funny stuff is going to be tossed by the wayside. I mean, honestly, how exactly is Guillermo Del Toro going to handle the trolls tossing dwarves into sacks, sitting on them, and debating how to eat them without a wink and smile? If treated seriously, that scene will be borderline ridiculous. It doesn't help that Del Toro isn't really known for comedy (well, Mimic was funny for different reasons), and Jackson's sense of humor is far too in-your-face and wrong for Tolkien (watch Meet the Feebles and tell us if we're wrong). Just remember - The Hobbit is, by the intention of its author, a lighter, funnier, more family-friendly work than The Two Towers. Either embrace the light-heartedness or don't even bother.

2. It needs to work as a stand-alone film.

It would be a mistake to treat The Hobbit like LOTR 4: The Prequel. We're not saying that continuity and carry-overs should be ignored - we love that Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis are returning - but while Fellowship, Two Towers, and Return of the King were written as a trilogy, The Hobbit was written as a stand-alone adventure. More than any of the LOTR movies, this film needs to stand tall on its own merits. That means Del Toro can't assume that we know anything about Middle-Earth before we enter the theatre, and the story needs to have a definite beginning, middle, and end. We know that there's this nebulous "Hobbit sequel," based on a hodge-podge of Tolkien works, that's being filmed at the same time, but man, will we be pissed if The Hobbit ends with a "To Be Continued..." The Hobbit is a perfectly contained story that begins and ends at Bag End, and is short enough that it doesn't need two movies to tell the tale. This has the potential to be one of the ultimate all-ages fantasy adventures of all time - just like the original book - so let's not taint its appeal by retro-fitting the story to make it a part of the Peter Jackson LOTR mini-series.

3. The whole movie can't be about the Battle of the Five Armies.

Don't get us wrong. We've been hard on Peter Jackson in our previous two sections, but we desperately love, love, love the Lord of the Rings movies. They, honest-to-god, definitely compete with the original Star Wars series (not the crap-tastic prequel trilogy) for the "best movie trilogy EVER" title. But, as much as we love Jackson's LOTR, The Hobbit was one of our favorite books growing up, so we treasure it a lot more than an Orlando Bloom movie, hence the tough love. And here's another hard truth that it might be difficult for WETA to swallow - the Battle of the Five Armies can't dominate the whole damn film. Yes, the final battle between the goblins and wargs and the armies of men, elves, and dwarves DOES bring the story to a general close and resolves the conflicts between most of the main characters, but it literally takes place during ONE chapter of the original book. We're totally fine with the battle closing the movie, but it can't be transformed into a Helm's Deep-sized uber-war that concerns most of the narrative, like it did in Two Towers. The Five Armies battle gives The Hobbit a very cool high-octane action note to close on, but Bilbo's journey and the confrontation with Smaug are infinitely more important. But Peter Jackson loves his epic-scale castle sieges, so we're a bit worried. Let's hope that Del Toro has a better sense of what's driving the story of The Hobbit, and, if the battle takes up more than 35 minutes of screen-time, we'll be very, very disappointed.

4. Smaug needs to be a classic movie villain first, dragon second.

Earlier this month, the ultimate LOTR fan site, theonering.net, published a fantastic essay about the "dragon problem" that's facing Del Toro and WETA as they begin pre-production of The Hobbit. The gist of the problem is that, thanks to poor special effects, overuse, and horrible movies like Dragonheart and Eragon, dragons have (to quote theonering.net) "taken a place just behind unicorns and rainbows as the most hackneyed subjects of fantasy art." So what does that mean for The Hobbit adaptation, particularly when the debatable climax of the story involves the interaction between Bilbo Baggins and one of the coolest, most breath-taking, bad-ass talking dragons in the history of literature, the treasure-hoarding Smaug? Renaissance festivals and lackluster CGI have defanged the dragon for modern film audiences, so how can Del Toro hope to make Smaug as cool as he needs to be? Our advice - concentrate on the drama and dialogue of the Smaug scenes first and worry about his design later. Smaug, first and foremost, needs to be a classic villain - we're talking Hannibal Lecter, Darth Vader, Hans Gruber, etc. - and we need to be much more afraid of his words and demeanor than his spiky claws or teeth. In fact, Del Toro should use the scene in No Country for Old Men between Anton Chigurh and the gas station owner as the model for the tone and level of raised stakes in the Bilbo/Smaug scenes. Chigurh was so scary it didn't even matter that he had the haircut that he did, so if Smaug's character is handled correctly, it shouldn't matter that movie audiences aren't afraid of dragons anymore.

5. Don't cut out all of the songs.

We can't believe we're saying this. We were totally in favor in clear-cutting all of the namby-pamby ballads and singing from the LOTR movies, and we happily mocked any nerds who claimed that Fellowship of the Ring was ruined by the exclusion of the karaoke-loving Tom Bombadil (one of the best decisions Jackson ever made). But, as we've mentioned, The Hobbit is a totally different beast. In terms of tone, The Hobbit needs to be a lighter and funnier film, and it also needs to be a Midnight Run-esque road movie, in which Thorin and his band of treasure-lusting dwarves eventually warm up to their vastly different Hobbit companion, Bilbo. And Tolkien's songs - The Hobbit contains probably his best lyrics ever - are a great vehicle to convey those changes in tone. There are some, frankly, hilarious dwarf songs and the moments where the wood-elves mock Bilbo and Thorin in song are priceless. Plus having Bilbo and the dwarves engage in a hearty fire-side sing-a-long might be the best movie male-bonding moments since the choruses of "Show Me the Way to Go Home" in Jaws. The key, however, will be to resist making the songs all sound like Enya-esque, Celtic lullabies, and instead make them sound more like the mead-hall ballads that Robert Zemeckis used so well in his Beowulf.

6. Explain the ring.

This is going to sound like we're contradicting ourselves. We'd previously said that we didn't want The Hobbit to get mired down in the continuity of the other LOTR films, but there is one big element in the story that really will need to be explained within the context of the whole LOTR series - the One Ring. In The Hobbit, which Tolkien wrote before the other LOTR books, the ring is simply a magic ring that can turn the wearer invisible (and can make Gollum purr "My precious..." for hours). Even in the opening of Fellowship, Peter Jackson showed us that Gandalf and Bilbo had no idea of the ring's dark legacy. However, now, thanks to Jackson's insanely popular movies, we all know what the One Ring can do. So, when in The Hobbit, Bilbo wears the ring for weeks at a time to evade capture by the wood-elves, every card-carrying LOTR movie fan is going to think, "Wait, why isn't he being corrupted? Why doesn't he see the fiery eye of Sauron?" And, before Tolkien fans throw a fit, notice that we said "every card-carrying LOTR MOVIE fan," not fans of the original books. We're no Tolkien experts. We're sure that there's some footnote or appendix that explains why Bilbo could wear the ring for weeks and be fine and why, several years later, the ring turned Frodo into an emo-looking mess. But the thing is - most movie fans aren't versed in Tolkien's complete canon. We know (and love) the movies, so the ring disparity will have to be explained somehow in The Hobbit, just so us average joes don't spend the whole time wondering why the Nazgul haven't showed up and speared Bilbo's ass yet.

7. Don't be afraid to make Gandalf a bit of a bastard.

The big difference between Gandalf the Grey (the pre-Balrog wizard) and Gandalf the White (post-Balrog) is that the Grey is a hell of a lot more fun. Ian McKellen did a terrific job of bringing a playful gravitas to Gandalf in the opening reel of Fellowship of the Ring - bumping his head in Bilbo's house one moment, showing off his awe-inspiring power the next - and we really want him to keep that same mischievous menace in The Hobbit. Granted, Gandalf does get some nicely heroic moments throughout the story - killing goblins, fighting in the Battle of the Five Armies - but the truly memorable Gandalf moments in The Hobbit are watching the wizard con Bilbo into becoming the dwarves' burglar or mysteriously disappearing whenever trouble is afoot. We're not saying that Gandalf is cowardly or immoral, but his Hobbit incarnation should have more of a Han Solo roguish charm than the stately, austere presence of Gandalf the White in Two Towers and Return of the King. (And, of course, we're talking about Han Solo back when he was allowed to shoot first and didn't suck.)

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      05-27-2008 12:32 PM #152
      http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080526b.php

Quote »
      Over the weekend, producer Peter Jackson and director Guillermo del Toro answered several questions during an online chat about their upcoming film versions of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and the proposed sequel.

Key bits of information garnered from the chat, a full transcript of which can be found at WetaNZ, include:

- Scripting and early conceptual designs will be worked on for the rest of this year.

- Pre-production will take place throughout 2009 and shooting will happen back-to-back throughout 2010 with a short break between films. The first film will hit cinemas in December 2011.

- The second film doesn't have a title yet and won't until after scripting is complete. Rather than focusing on the years between the two tales, it will cover a specific incident that took place between them.

- Casting will not begin until next year, however all the original 'Rings' cast members that can be brought back will be.

- The films will be shot in 2.35:1 aspect ratio with a PG-13 rating. There are no plans for a 3D release yet.

- A lot of the original production team will be brought back, as will composer Howard Shore.

- Ian Holm will participate somehow, even though Bilbo will be recast to reflect the character's younger age.

- del Toro's frequent collaborator Ron Perlman will have a role.

- Location shooting throughout New Zealand will take place with Hobbiton to be rebuilt bigger than before. It's unlikely any locations outside NZ will be used.

- A Blu-ray release of the 'Rings' trilogy is in the works, but NOT this year.

Gimme Blu-Ray LOTR NOW

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      05-27-2008 02:23 PM #153
      Interesting 7 things.

I agree with most actually, especially the battle of Five Armies being under 35 minutes of screen time. There should be no precursor about it. Also, whoever the author is of the article they need to re-read the Hobbit. The Fifth army isn't Wargs....

I disagree about explaining the ring and why it doesn't corrupt or affect Bilbo the way it affects Frodo in LOTR. Perhaps it could be mentioned why in movie #2.

Overall though, good read.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      05-27-2008 02:24 PM #154
      Gimme Blu-Ray LOTR NOW

Word.

I'll wager the "incident" mentioned will be the Assault of the Necromancer in Mirkwood. If so, that could be AWESOME!

Vehicles
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 07 Honda Fit
      05-27-2008 05:29 PM #155
      Quote, originally posted by Methalius »
      I'll wager the "incident" mentioned will be the Assault of the Necromancer in Mirkwood. If so, that could be AWESOME!

Yup, I had the same thought.

16. 05-28-2008 02:12 PM #156
      Quote, originally posted by IMDb »
      Lord Of The Rings author J.R.R. Tolkien's son is desperately trying to stop a new movie version of his father's novel The Hobbit.

Christopher Tolkien wants the two-film adaptation blocked until his family are paid the $200 million (GBP100 million) he claims they are owed by New Line Cinema bosses from the big-screen adaptations of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

He will appear before a judge in California on 6 June in a bid to have The Hobbit movie "terminated", reports Britain's Sunday Times newspaper.

Guillermo del Toro will direct the new franchise, and Sir Ian McKellen will reprise his role as Gandalf. Shooting is due to begin in New Zealand later this year.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      05-28-2008 03:49 PM #157
      Jeez! New Line really seemed to have pissed off just about everyone possible regarding profits for the Lord of the Rings. It's just amazing how crappy their book keeping seemingly was.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      05-29-2008 09:07 AM #158
      If this is true I think this is a good idea.

Quote »
      Scottish actor James McAvoy has been tipped to take the lead role in the new movie version of Lord Of The Rings prequel The Hobbit.

J.R.R. Tolkien's novel is set to be turned into a major blockbuster under the direction of Guillermo del Toro and filming is due to begin in New Zealand later this year.

Sir Ian McKellen will reprise his role as Gandalf and McAvoy is rumoured to be the favourite to take the lead role of hobbit Bilbo Baggins.

The character was played by Ian Holm in the previous films of the fantasy franchise, but he is due to be replaced by a high profile star for the new movie.

A source tells British newspaper the Daily Express, "A number of names have been doing the rounds, including Daniel Radcliffe and Jack Black, but James (McAvoy) is the one the film's bosses really want.

"They're expected to have talks soon so hopefully it could be confirmed in the not too distant future."

And director del Toro adds, "I can tell you it's down to a few names that we all agree upon. For our first choice, completely magically we all have the same name."

Radcliffe is too young. Surprisingly enough, I actually think Black wouldn't be a terrible option. I'm not sure if I could really see him as Bilbo though.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Titan
      05-29-2008 09:45 AM #159
      I don't think I could even stomach watching The Hobbit if Jack Black had any major screen time. That would be a horrible choice IMO.

I really liked James McAvoy in Atonement, although I hated the movie and my gf for making me sit through it.

Modified by mbuxton at 9:47 AM 5-29-2008

20. 05-29-2008 09:55 AM #160
      i think mcavoy would do a good job

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      05-29-2008 09:58 AM #161
      Quote, originally posted by mbuxton »
      I don't think I could even stomach watching The Hobbit if Jack Black had any major screen time. That would be a horrible choice IMO.

He has a Hobbit like look. Round, happy face.... I agree that he probably wouldn't be the best choice though.

McAvoy was good as Mr. Tumnus in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I think he would be a GREAT Bilbo Baggins....

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      06-03-2008 10:54 AM #162
      I remember Tumnus... I barely remember the actor though. What else was he in?

23. 06-03-2008 11:10 AM #163
      recently, atonement + the last king of scotland

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      06-03-2008 11:54 AM #164
      Quote, originally posted by beng »
      I remember Tumnus... I barely remember the actor though. What else was he in?

He is in Wanted which should be released soon if it isn't already. He was also in Band of Brothers.... I've been impressed by him in everything I've seen him in.

Vehicles
      2007 GTI, 2005 TSX
      06-03-2008 02:02 PM #165
      Last King of Scottland was great, and he was fantastic in it.

How young is Bilbo supposed to be in this book? In the first LOTR, Gandalf mentioned he hadn't aged a day - which leads me to believe he's still good and aged. McAvoy is 29 - that could be an issue, though I'm sure nothing some movie magic cannot handle.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      06-03-2008 10:25 PM #166
      I think McAvoy as Bilbo is a fantastic idea!

Speaking of which.. I have yet to finish watching "Lion, Witch ...."...

The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

27. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      06-03-2008 10:27 PM #167
      Let's not forget Dune

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      06-03-2008 10:40 PM #168
      Quote, originally posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T »
      Let's not forget Dune

Who did he play in Dune ?

What you on about ?

29. 06-03-2008 11:19 PM #169
      Quote, originally posted by Methalius »
      If this is true I think this is a good idea.

Radcliffe is too young. Surprisingly enough, I actually think Black wouldn't be a terrible option. I'm not sure if I could really see him as Bilbo though.

Let's not forget the role Jack Black had in LOTR already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1cPbHPqKPc

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      06-04-2008 08:29 AM #170
      Quote, originally posted by JCJetta »

How young is Bilbo supposed to be in this book? In the first LOTR, Gandalf mentioned he hadn't aged a day - which leads me to believe he's still good and aged. McAvoy is 29 - that could be an issue, though I'm sure nothing some movie magic cannot handle.

I believe he is 52 in the Hobbit which would equal 35ish in "human" years.

Yes, Gandalf did say that in the movie but that was more to create drama and show the impact of the ring. In the book the reason why Bilbo ages so much is because he after he leaves the ring with Frodo and takes off for Rivendell roughly 20 years pass and Bilbo ages again when the ring had suspended the aging process while he possessed it.

Elijah Wood was like 18-22 when LOTR was filmed he he was playing Frodo who was at minimum 33 years old when the movie starts and should have been in his early 50's when he headed out on his quest with the ring.

McAvoy is the perfect age in my opinion.

31. 06-04-2008 10:06 AM #171
      Quote, originally posted by J-Tim »
      Who did he play in Dune ?

he was in the children of dune mini as paul atreides son, leto 2

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      06-04-2008 06:44 PM #172
      Quote, originally posted by crazy88 »

he was in the children of dune mini as paul atreides son, leto 2

Ah yes, never watched the mini-series, unfortunately.

What you on about ?

33. 06-18-2008 08:16 AM #173
      Quote, originally posted by IMDb »
      Scottish actor James McAvoy has denied reports he is to take the lead role in the new movie version of Lord Of The Rings prequel The Hobbit.

J.R.R. Tolkien's novel is set to be turned into a major blockbuster under the direction of Guillermo del Toro and filming is due to begin in New Zealand later this year.

McAvoy was reportedly favourite to take on the lead role of hobbit Bilbo Baggins - previously played by Elijah Wood in the Lord of the Rings trilogy - while Sir Ian McKellen will reprise his role as Gandalf .

But McAvoy denies he has been approached by producers for the project.

He tells TheCelebrityTruth.com, "I'm a huge fan of the Tolkien saga, everything to do with Middle Earth. But no, there's no truth in the fact that they've approached me yet."

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      06-18-2008 09:32 AM #174
      Since that report from IMDB cites Elijah Wood as having played Bilbo, rather than Frodo, it's probably not very legit.
      vwot.org

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught.
      In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity. - Hunter S Thompson

35. 06-18-2008 09:44 AM #175
      yeah, but that might be an honest mistake... the quote sounds real

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast