Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Downhill assist

1. 11-20-2006 05:25 AM #1
      Hey all! I just wanted to clarify something.
      When i was ordering my touareg, i was told that it has something called downhill assist. Which in simple terms is that the car will brake on its own when you going down a hill, and also when your climbing a hill, the touareg will hold the car without you stepping on the brake or the gas.

My friend just bought a new range rover, and he has a yellow button for downhill assist, and like when he presses it all he needs to do is release the brake or gas pedal, and the car will go down the hill with engine braking and the self application of the brakes.

So do all we touareg owners have this too? and how do we use it? or activate it!

Thanks guyys!

Vehicles
      2006 V6 TDI Touareg
      11-20-2006 06:42 AM #2
      Yes both the hill descent and ascent assistants are included in all Touaregs. No need to push any buttons, it's activated automatically as the car is capable to understand the situations. More details in the manual.

3. 11-20-2006 10:23 AM #3
      you need to change the tranny coding with VAG for '04 1/2 and later US models to get the hill ascend assist. Check archives.

My '04 V8 had it, but I had to VAG my Diesel. Have you VAGged your Diesel lately?

4. 11-20-2006 10:32 AM #4
      The downhill assist works best when:

In low
      using tiptronic 1st or 2nd

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      11-20-2006 12:29 PM #5
      Vagging Hills Ascent Assist??? This is the first time I've heard about that... either that or I'm getting old and forgetful.

My '04 worked like a charm, I just had to be in LOW range.

6. 11-20-2006 12:35 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by TREGinginCO »
      Vagging Hills Ascent Assist??? This is the first time I've heard about that... either that or I'm getting old and forgetful.

My '05 V8 did not have "Hill Ascent Assist" - in other words, when stopped on a hill, the vehicle would not stay in position unless I had my foot on the brake and would roll backwards when I took my foot off the brake (depending on the extent of the hill incline).

After I VAG'd my transmission for the paddle shifters, an unexpected benefit was that I now have the "Hill Ascent Assist" which is probably better named a "Hill Hold Assist."

Now, after Vagging, when I stop on an uphill slope, the car holds itself in position until I step on the gas. It seems that it kicks in at about the same 20% grade as the Descent Assist.

Great feature!

This is all in HIGH range.

Modified by henna gaijin at 9:37 AM 11-20-2006

7. 11-20-2006 01:45 PM #7
      There was a post earlier this year about this issue.

My Diesel did not apply the brake on a steep hill in the normal transfer case setting, but my V8 did.

After I VAGged it, it now does (w/o paddle shifters).

It's awesome around the hills of CT.

Vehicles
      Fire breathing 4 banger
      11-20-2006 02:00 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by teutonicV8 »
      There was a post earlier this year about this issue.

My Diesel did not apply the brake on a steep hill in the normal transfer case setting, but my V8 did.

After I VAGged it, it now does (w/o paddle shifters).

It's awesome around the hills of CT.

Where can I find the procedure to do this??

Challenge Motorwerks: Distinctive performance......made beautiful.

9. 11-20-2006 03:37 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by TighTT »

Paddle shifter installation instructions

Scroll all the way to the bottom.

HTH

10. 11-20-2006 04:30 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by TighTT »

In the Archives of this forum, if they existed. I can't seem to find anything prior to 30 days ago ???

Vehicles
      Fire breathing 4 banger
      11-20-2006 04:43 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by henna gaijin »

Paddle shifter installation instructions

Scroll all the way to the bottom.

HTH

Thanks!! Are there any side effects to recoding the control module without having paddle shifters to your knowledge? I plan to get the padde shifters in the future....but not just yet. Thanks again!

Challenge Motorwerks: Distinctive performance......made beautiful.

12. 11-20-2006 04:56 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by TREGinginCO »

I posted ages ago the fact you can use Vag-Com to change the Transmission code from US to Rest of World and get the hill hold feature to activate on US models in High Gear as well as Low.

I think I posted this at a time we were not speaking, or you are indeed getting old and forgetful...lol

Modified by V10 at 1:58 PM 11-20-2006

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      11-20-2006 05:05 PM #13
      It's probably the old and forgetful part!!!

14. 11-20-2006 05:19 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by V10 »

I posted ages ago the fact you can use Vag-Com to change the Transmission code from US to Rest of World and get the hill hold feature to activate on US models in High Gear as well as Low.

Yes, that is the post I remember. I have had my Diesel in the ROW tranny setting w/o any problems (no paddles).

15. 11-20-2006 06:57 PM #15
      My hill start assist works perfectly, no matter how steep the hill is . Stop on hill, let off the brake, the car will sit there for a second or two and then you will feel a little thump and the car will pull itself up the hill. I love it, wish my S2000 could do this!

Vehicles
      2011 Audi Q7 PPlus, 2004 Touareg V8, 2006 Passat, 2006 Infiniti M35
      11-21-2006 10:18 AM #16
      i have a very early VIN V8 and mine didn't work.
      do I have to switch to low gear and put it in 1st gear in tip?
      i thought I can just drive up, stop and let go the brake???

17. 11-21-2006 12:06 PM #17
      The hill ascend/brake assist should not require any input to engage. It should work automatically on any hill over about 15% grade. If it does not, you need to recode your tranny to the ROW setting.

It should feel like the car is applying the brakes when it comes to a stop. You never need to touch the brake pedal (or anything else). And when you press the gas, it will take a split second before the brake is released. The whole point is that your Treg should never roll backwards on a steep hill.

It is wonderful what great things an over-the-top engineer (aka, Mr. 917) who becomes chairman of the board will spec for the peoples car. Whether they will ever make money again is a different story ....

18. 11-21-2006 05:46 PM #18
      I just looked at the link to VAG the tranny....

Quote »
      Recode control module 02-Auto Trans from 0004153 (or 0004136 if in Europe) to 0012328.

When you say to recode the transmission to the ROW (Rest of the World), do you mean to the Europe setting (0004136) or to the paddle shifter setting (0012328)?

19. 11-22-2006 07:26 AM #19
      bump interested as well.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      03 V6 Touareg, 09 2.0T Q5, 72 351C Mach1
      11-22-2006 11:27 AM #20
      Quote, originally posted by styx »

When you say to recode the transmission to the ROW (Rest of the World), do you mean to the Europe setting (0004136) or to the paddle shifter setting (0012328)?

Settings on mine are that HAA works in every gear mode and HDC works in 1st Tip, where brakes are applied automatically and engine revs are never allowed to go over 4000rpm, no matter how steep the decline.

21. 11-22-2006 03:04 PM #21
      Paddle shifter mode definitely works. I believe the european mode works as well.

22. 11-22-2006 03:23 PM #22
      so... The European setting will activate hill assent?

23. 11-22-2006 09:01 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by styx »

I just checked my coding - 4136.

Hill assist works great!

24. 11-23-2006 12:10 AM #24
      Regarding the initial question as to whether we have Downhill Assist:

Quote, originally posted by VW Literature »
      Hill Descent Assist
      Off-road drivers know that one of the most treacherous hazards they face is traversing a steep downhill that is covered with loose rocks or dirt. With the Touareg, the driver removes his or her foot from the accelerator at a speed of less than 12 mph (20 km/h) to initiate hill descent assist (HDA). HDA uses controlled brake applications to ensure that the vehicle does
      not go out of control while descending. The driver can then focus on steering.
      In summary, HDA intervenes:
      • at speeds less than 12 mph (20 km/h)
      • on slopes greater than 20%
      • during forward and reverse driving
      • when ESP is active
      HDA intervenes, for example, when one wheel loses traction. Using the ABS pump, the brakes are applied at the wheels that have good traction. This prevents acceleration and keeps the vehicle speed constant. When the process is complete, the vehicle returns to the previous driving speed.

The manual suggests to put the vehicle into Tip, and I think it's necessary to activate this function. I don't know for sure since I'm always in low and tip when I drive down really steep stuff off road.

Some people think (and I can't speak to it because I haven't driven a Land Rover off road) that the Rover version is better.

Regarding Hill hold:

The tranny setting that people are talking about here (which V10 pointed out in his earlier thread) affects whether the tranny will lock up when you're stopped on a mild hill. The brakes do *not* engage (which you can tell because sometimes you can feel the car rock gently as the tranny engages).

When you're stopping on a really steep hill the brakes do engage, and I don't believe that this is controlled by the tranny setting. It certainly works in low; I have not tried this in high.

Vehicles
      2004 Treg V8, 1978 VW Westfalia
      11-23-2006 03:40 PM #25
      I wonder if this is the source of my jerky stopping problem -- which always seems to happen on a hill, up or down.

26. 11-26-2006 10:19 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by adcockman »
      so... The European setting will activate hill assent?

I always rolled back on a mild hill in D with the US settings, recoded to European setting, no roll back anymore.....
      2004 V10