VWVortex.com - Toyota MR-S "V Edition Final Version" (Japan)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota MR-S "V Edition Final Version" (Japan)

1. 11-21-2006 09:36 AM #1
      Toyota MR-S "V Edition Final Version" (Japan)
      http://toyota.jp/mr-s/v_final_version/index.html

Press Release:
      Quote »
      TOYOTA MR-S special specification car "V EDITION FINAL VERSION" (the limited 1000 unit) sets the production of MR-S which starts sale in 1999 as light/write open sport of the midship, attendant upon ending with 2007 7 end of the month, sells from 2007 January 9th via the store of entire country.
      As for the latest special specification car, MR-S in addition to the equipment of "V EDITION" in the base, in soft top this leather seat & door trim epidermal these leather winding 3 these spokes tear ring wheels the lead-lead of private color additional setting. Furthermore, it raises material feeling, it has made the specification which has more high-class impression e.g., the door assist grip dial type heater control panel instrument panel brace cover and the shift gauge cover (6 fast sequential manual cars) it makes the titanium pitch silver.
      Furthermore, the based car ends production at 2007 the end of January, later becomes sale only of the latest special specification car, also production of the special specification car ends with 2007 the end of July.
      < Special equipment >
      Appearance Soft top (lead or black)
      Aluminum wheel (super chrome metallic paint)
      Wheel ornament (black)
      Front emblem (black)
      Side air intake garnish (grey metallic)
      Rear emblem (smoke pitch)
      Rear bumper lower garnish side (grey metallic)

Interior equipment This leather seat & door trim epidermis (lead or black)
      These leather winding 3 these spokes tear ring wheels (lead or black)
      Door assist grip (titanium pitch silver)
      Dial type heater control panel (titanium pitch silver)
      Instrument panel brace cover (titanium pitch silver)
      Shift gauge cover (titanium pitch silver)
      Helical LSD

Outside plate color Grey mica metallic
      Silver mica metallic
      Black
      Super lead-lead V

* LSD : Non-slip differential

< Manufacturer desired retail price > (Hokkaido, only Okinawa price differs. Unit: Circle)
      Engine Running motion Transmission Value case
      (Consumption including tax)
      MR-S special specification car
      "V EDITION FINAL VERSION" 1ZZ-FE
      (1.8L) 2WD
      (MR) 6 fast manuals 2,320,000
      6 fast sequential manuals 2,400,000

Vehicles
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      11-21-2006 09:43 AM #2
      Its a shame to see it go. Always had a place in my heart for it.

3. 11-21-2006 09:49 AM #3

This car is a real gem. Definitely the purest sports car of this millenia (besides the way more expensive other guys).

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      11-21-2006 09:56 AM #4
      I didn't know it was still in production.
      How long has it been off the US market?
      Salt Lake City was not discovered by Dracula and the shark people.

Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      11-21-2006 10:05 AM #5
      one less exciting car for Toyota.... [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] Totyota cars are truely boring.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

6. 11-21-2006 10:09 AM #6
      wait til they have the new MR-S with Lotus Chassis (in my dreams)

7. 11-22-2006 09:37 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Avus &raquo;
      one less exciting car for Toyota.... [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] Toyota cars are truely boring.

Let's hope this proves to be an achilles heel..

8. Member
      11-22-2006 09:43 AM #8
      I can understand the appeal of it, but it's so god awful ugly I could never imagine buying one. It's a real shame to, as the last gen MR2 was a real beauty.
      Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      where were you when automotive dream died
      i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
      'racecar is die'
      no

Vehicles
      SVO
      11-22-2006 09:45 AM #9
      And after this, Toyota is now one step closer to becoming the official "Japanese Buick."
      JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

Vehicles
      '08 STi, '96 TLC
      11-22-2006 02:20 PM #10
      Where are Peloton and TurboWraith?
      Nice special edition.

Modified by Andy GTI at 9:33 PM 11-24-2006

11. 11-22-2006 02:56 PM #11
      Quote &raquo;
      MR-S special specification car
      "V EDITION FINAL VERSION" 1ZZ-FE
      (1.8L) 2WD
      (MR) 6 fast manuals 2,320,000
      6 fast sequential manuals 2,400,000

I sure am glad that it comes with 6 fast manuals. Those 6 slow manuals are a pain.
      edit: more translation hilarity:
      Quote &raquo;
      As for the latest special specification car, MR-S in addition to the equipment of "V EDITION" in the base, in soft top this leather seat & door trim epidermal these leather winding 3 these spokes tear ring wheels the lead-lead of private color additional setting

Quote &raquo;
      Aluminum wheel (super chrome metallic paint)

Quote &raquo;
      Side air intake garnish

Quote &raquo;
      Interior equipment This leather seat & door trim epidermis (lead or black)
      These leather winding 3 these spokes tear ring wheels (lead or black)

Quote &raquo;
      Engine Running motion Transmission Value case
      (Consumption including tax)

Modified by Adam777 at 12:01 PM 11-22-2006

Modified by Adam777 at 12:03 PM 11-22-2006

12. 11-22-2006 03:25 PM #12
      i don't understand why if the last MR was such a good lucking performance hit Toyota decided to make this an ugly bore. If they gave this car the engine from the tC or Celica GT-S (lotus does it) i could get past the looks but as it currently is the MR was a waste of a fine mid-engined chassis.
      BOOO to the current MR and Toyota for wasting devlopment dollars and manufacturing space on this 'sports-car' [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG]

13. 11-22-2006 03:42 PM #13
      Well, when the car acame out, the 2ZZ-GE engine wasn't ready. it wasn't until a couple years later that it came out. Unfortunately, I don't know why toyota didn't bring the 2ZZ to it in a 'higher performance version' like they have with previous gen MR2s. the lackluster engine (the 1ZZ-FE is a rock solid engine, but it is a bit underpowered.) and the odd looks (Meant to evoke images of a Porsche Boxter, but instead just making it look odd) combined to make the MR2 a poor seller, which is probably why Toyota never spent more money on developing the 2ZZ into the car. Heck, they already make a roots type supercharger for the 1ZZ, which raises power to enar 160HP, so I don't understand why they didn't do better with this car. perhaps they will redesign it, and bring it back, with the next generation of rev happy engine (The 2ZZ is destined to be short lived, since it is being cut from all cars that use it, and toyota can't seem to make it pass newer EURO4 emissions). It would be a shame for this car to go the way of it's bigger brother the Supra. (Little known fact, the Mk2 Supra suspension was also designed by Lotus).

Vehicles
      '09 MINI Cooper S; '03 MR2 Spyder; '03 Focus ZX3
      11-22-2006 03:55 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by Lwize &raquo;
      I didn't know it was still in production.
      How long has it been off the US market?

Toyota brought a limited number of them to the USA in 2005 - roughly ~700 as I recall - then ceased importing them.
      I've said all that I need to about the Spyder here in past threads but will add a few words here anyway. Some will write it off based on the numbers, some will discount it because of it's looks, but you'll find that most who've driven it don't have those complaints - just a giant smile on their face. EVO magazine went so far as to call it possibly the best car that Toyota have ever produced in their farewell article - I have no reason to argue with that.
      >8^)
      ER

15. 11-22-2006 03:55 PM #15
      The Toyota showroom is about the most boring place on earth these days. Usually I get a little excited about taking a car to the dealer for service because I can check out the cars without getting the hard sell. When I take my GF's scion in, I'm always disappointed by what's in stock.
      Solara convertable? Ugly, soccer mom car [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG]
      Corolla S? Not too terrible but definitely not exciting
      Camry? Probably the nicest car there but still doesn't make happiness in my pants
      The best looking vehicle (and the only one the least bit "special") they had in the showroom was a TRD Tacoma. Nice truck, I could see myself buing one of those if I lived in Texas or one of the more rednecky parts of IL.
      I never really liked the MR-S but at least it was a real sports car.

16. Banned
      11-22-2006 04:01 PM #16
      Farewell!

Vehicles
      '13 Focus
      11-22-2006 04:44 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by refuge &raquo;
      Well, when the car acame out, the 2ZZ-GE engine wasn't ready. it wasn't until a couple years later that it came out. Unfortunately, I don't know why toyota didn't bring the 2ZZ to it in a 'higher performance version' like they have with previous gen MR2s. the lackluster engine (the 1ZZ-FE is a rock solid engine, but it is a bit underpowered.) and the odd looks (Meant to evoke images of a Porsche Boxter, but instead just making it look odd) combined to make the MR2 a poor seller, which is probably why Toyota never spent more money on developing the 2ZZ into the car. Heck, they already make a roots type supercharger for the 1ZZ, which raises power to enar 160HP, so I don't understand why they didn't do better with this car. perhaps they will redesign it, and bring it back, with the next generation of rev happy engine (The 2ZZ is destined to be short lived, since it is being cut from all cars that use it, and toyota can't seem to make it pass newer EURO4 emissions). It would be a shame for this car to go the way of it's bigger brother the Supra. (Little known fact, the Mk2 Supra suspension was also designed by Lotus).

Unfortunatly, it really isnt. Not in this car anyway. They have pre-cat converters in the exhaust header, and the cats breakdown, and then all that crap gets sucked back into the engine to machine everything down. engine failures are not unheard of around the 40k miles mark. The simple solution is gutting said cats out of the header (which I have done, as have most owners that are in the know) but even if caught the slightest bit late, the engine will consume huge amounts of oil until it finally lets go. Very simaler to the problem the late model sentra se-r/v had.
      It sucks to see Toyota stop this car. Best looking of all 3 generations imo, and is the best example of a pure sports car of them. And really, its quite intresting that the power/weight ratio between the 2nd gen turbo and the MR-S is a lot closer than most 2nd gen owners like to think.
      those who dont like the car, or say it doesnt have enough power to get out if its own way havent driven one. Either that, or said people just like to drive on slabs and nothing else.

18. 11-22-2006 05:04 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by rempel &raquo;
      BOOO to the current MR and Toyota for wasting devlopment dollars and manufacturing space on this 'sports-car' [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG]

Actually its one of the best handling cars you can get for the price. Outhandles a miata and theres an aftermarket for it. If you can get past the looks its a pretty decent car. Power isnt everything.

Vehicles
      02 Tundra TRD, 87 325is
      11-22-2006 05:17 PM #19
      I dont know anything about the MR2 but my girl has one and i dont really care for it. Underpowered (not terrible but not great), poor visability and you think a MK 4 rattles badly..sheesh that has nothing on the MR2. This model looks pretty iswanky though.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus
      11-22-2006 05:27 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by lynx8489 &raquo;
      I dont know anything about the MR2 but my girl has one and i dont really care for it. Underpowered (not terrible but not great), poor visability and you think a MK 4 rattles badly..sheesh that has nothing on the MR2. This model looks pretty iswanky though.

the visibility thing is not MR2 centric as 90% of roadsters out there suffer the same problem. rattles...eh, if that bothers you, you wouldnt like an elise either.

Vehicles
      '09 MINI Cooper S; '03 MR2 Spyder; '03 Focus ZX3
      11-22-2006 05:35 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by lynx8489 &raquo;
      poor visability...

Maybe with the top up, but whoever drives it with the top up if it's not raining or 40 degrees outside?

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      02 Tundra TRD, 87 325is
      11-22-2006 05:54 PM #22
      maybe cause her top is busted and she is too lazy to take it into the goddam dealer to fix it
      i am definitely not used to driving a roadster and having poor visability, makes me nervous cause people in my town are self absorbed, selfish drivers..i like washing it though, it takes all of 15 mins

Vehicles
      1998 Pelican Blue Audi A4Q Sport
      11-22-2006 06:32 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by 1Via &raquo;
      ...theres an aftermarket for it...

Yeah, I know a guy who's even making adjustable suspension links for it!
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2k1/VW/GTI 12v, 99 'Vette FRC
      11-22-2006 10:02 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by Art Vandelay &raquo;
      And after this, Toyota is now one step closer to becoming the official "Japanese Buick."

Yeah, but Toyota still SELLS plenty of cars where as Buick doesn't. Atleast GM has a diverse product line up covering ALL segments....soon Toyota won't be able to make that claim. Too bad that Toyota shelved the Supra that was rumored to be a 350Z fighter. And YES, the "affordable" sports cars for Toyota that was rumored to compete with the 350Z has been shelved...while the $100K Lexus sports car has been green lighted. Just what we need...another $100k soprts car.
      "An AUDI is nothing more than a Volkswagen in a pretty prom dress."
      Stance will make her dance...well, try that "line" at da strip club
      Stretch is for sissies...REAL MEN love sticky meaty tires.

Vehicles
      2007 Acura TSX / 2013 Toyota Yaris LE
      11-22-2006 10:16 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by Peloton25 &raquo;
      Maybe with the top up, but whoever drives it with the top up if it's not raining or 40 degrees outside?

>8^)
      ER

Who said you need to drive with the top up in that kind of weather
      When I was little, my father was famous, He was the greatest samurai in the empire, And he was the Shogun's decapitator, He cut off the heads of a hundred and thirty-one lords, It was a bad time for the empire, The Shogun just stayed inside his castle and he never came out, People said his brain was infected by devils, My father would come home he would forget about the killings, He wasn't scared of the Shogun, but the Shogun was scared of him

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast